Vi a shit. SHIT!

OK so normally I really like minimalistic setups, and generally find minimal software better to use. I would frequent the minimalism threads when they showed up.
Well in one of them, someone suggested using nvi instead of vim.

I tried it and holy fuck it sucks.
>no indicators at the bottom to let you know what mode you're in
>no visual selection modes
>>Without Visual Block (CTRL-v), you can't comment out/uncomment a bunch of lines as easily
>no g commands.
>>you can hit G to go to the bottom, but without gg you can't go back to the top. Have fun hitting k!
>>without gj, gk, g$, and g0, you can't easily traverse a long line that's longer than the screen and has wrapped visually
>no highlighting for parentheses, brackets, and curly braces
>>GuixSD gives you vi and not vim, and has you write a scheme config file
>>>It was not fun

Attached: vi.png (400x400, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.9front.org/1/ed
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Man, these nu-minimalists are so entitled.

ln -s /bin/nano ~/.bin/vi

set ruler
set showmode

but yeah, the whole model is based around screen being expensive to redraw, no mouse and crippled keyboard layout

Use vis. It's a lot more lightweight than even neovim (comparable to nvi). Has all the cool things from vim + multiple cursors + Sam's regular expressions.

>GuixSD
I'm surprised it doesn't force you to use emacs.

OFFICIAL TEXT EDITOR RANKING COMING IN

Command line editors:
1. Vi(m)
2. Emacs
3. Ed
4. - 9. probably some obscure shit i don't even know about
10. Nano aka the MS Paint of command line editors

General purpose editors:
1. Notepad++
2. Gedit
3. Emacs (probably better if you'd actually ever have the time to learn all of its features)
4. Lightweight-IDE of choice

>he fell for the mouse-based text editor meme
I'll give that a go. Maybe it'll be better.
>I'm surprised it doesn't force you to use emacs.
Interestingly enough, it doesn't even include emacs in the installer. It gives you an option of GNU Zile though, which is a lightweight clone of emacs.
>Nano aka the MS Paint of command line editors
lel

>using vi instead of vim
>surprised when there's less features

brainlet detected.

no one uses vi, of course it sucks that's why vim exists

>SUPREME GOD MODE:
Visual Studio.

There is literally no better IDE.

Attached: 1531172454061.gif (625x626, 1.16M)

if it wasn't proprietary - maybe.

>windows only
>closed source
hehe, you're like a little baby

vi is bloatware. use ed

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow. They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'. So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed, man! !man ed

ED(1) UNIX Programmer's Manual ED(1)

NAME
ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
Ed is the standard text editor.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard. Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair. Just look:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t 4 root 1310720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 5.89824e37 Oct 22 1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA! ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES! ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!! ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR! ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely
you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on. If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

somebody make this the man page of ed.

>It's not viiditor
It is 'visitor', though. Use Vis.

Vi (Visual editor) and Vim (Vi Improved) are not the same program, you silly OP.

Also, consider that Vi was created for a time when changing characters on your terminal was expensive. So forget about Vi and learn how to properly use and configure Vim.

9front already did.
man.9front.org/1/ed

Why are you suprised it doesn't force you to use emacs? It pretty much doesn't force you to anything.

>Why are you suprised it doesn't force you to use emacs?
Because it's by GNU/faggots that are so far up their own asses, they call it a "System distribution".

So you're literally upset about the fucking name of the distro

everyone knows its only a linux distro right now, and the name couldn't be more irrelevant

>9front already did.
I don't see the joke.

Protip:
ed isn't pronouned eh d (like the mans name)
It's pronounced as two letters. eee deee.

Yeah it sucks to learn but when you've got it you'll never use anything else.

>So you're literally upset about the fucking name of the distro
I'm upset by many things and name is one of them, yes.
And to reiterate on your question, it uses GNU so many times on it's front page, I'm genuinely surprised they don't make emacs the default editor.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Vi, is in fact, GNU/Vi, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Vi. Vi is not a text editor unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Vi", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Vi, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Vi is the text editor: the program in the system that edits text. The text editor is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Vi is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Vi added, or GNU/Vi. All the so-called "Vi" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Vi.

Attached: 170px-Richard_Stallman_by_gisleh_01.jpg (170x170, 10K)

nah fuck that shit. I just found another insane flaw.
undo (u) can only remember and revert one change.

From the official GNU GuixSD documentation:
>Next, you have to edit a file and provide the declaration of the operating system to be installed. To that end, the installation system comes with three text editors. We recommend GNU nano (see GNU nano Manual), which supports syntax highlighting and parentheses matching; other editors include GNU Zile (an Emacs clone), and nvi (a clone of the original BSD vi editor).

Would it matter though? I mean the "default" editors, at least in the installation image is nano which is obviously also GNU and easily enough to edit the config.scm file which is where you choose what your installations packages are anyways

besides that, there is no real "default" editor in guixsd

Nope. You can undo / redo multiple times in nvi by pressing `.` and then press `u` to switch between undoing or redoing.

Not really. In any case my preferred way of installation is to install the software I personally want into chroot (using native PM tools) and edit everything from inside it with the tools I like.

As I understand it, NixOS and GuixSD do something similar except you do the configuration before the chrooting.

I'd really like to try NixOS when the new release is out and they would finally update their TexLive distribution.

>Nano and nvi
not the worst choice.

>As I understand it, NixOS and GuixSD do something similar except you do the configuration before the chrooting.
They have you declare the entire system through the use of a single configuration file. With NixOS, it's done through a "Nix" language specific to the distribution, and with GuixSD, it's done in Scheme.
Here's the documentation on that for GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#Using-the-Configuration-System

>no visual selection modes
You can achieve mostly the equivalent of visual line selection at least with marks.
>Without Visual Block (CTRL-v), you can't comment out/uncomment a bunch of lines as easily
You can do :123,133s/^/\/\/ / or :123,133s/^\/\/ // to comment / uncomment lines 123 to 133.
>you can hit G to go to the bottom, but without gg you can't go back to the top. Have fun hitting k!
1G
>without gj, gk, g$, and g0, you can't easily traverse a long line that's longer than the screen and has wrapped visually
Yes, but you should really be hard-wrapping your files. Fair to say nvi doesn't make this as easy as vim though with gq / gw.
>no highlighting for parentheses, brackets, and curly braces
You can jump between brackets / braces with %

I don't get why you would care about nvi being bad though if you can just use vim. But nvi is definitely pretty usable for a lot of tasks and is a lot better than using ed / nano while being very lightweight and widely available.

What do you mean by doing the configuration?
Configurations for the packages or the system configuration?

Package configurations actually annoy me the most with GuixSD, but thats literally the only problem I have with it. Usually if something has its configuration in /usr/share its done somewhere else, which, for me, not always works like I want it to.

What is the texlive version for NixOS? GuixSD doesn't have texlive 2018 yet, but I don't know what NixOS uses.

Package availability is not too great on GuixSD either, and is definitely better, but the choice basically boils down to:

1) do I want to use the Nix language or Scheme
2) do I like systemd

Both use TexLive 2017.

I mean system configuration. One of the potential problems is passing the software. As I understand it, there is no "proper" solution to patch 'st', for example and stack overflow has at least 4 different ways to do that.
I don't know how package configuration is done yet in Nix/Guix.

>Systemd
dislike, but it's not like there is a runit variant.
>Scheme or Nix
don't know any of them yet, so it doesn't matter.

I do have strong ideological dislike to the whole GNU/FSF/Stallman Party. And it doesn't help that GuixSD feels like a case of "NIH" towards NixOS.

>runit
GuixSD uses shepherd

So?

I don't think he was trying to make a point. He was just informing you what PID 1 is on GuixSD.

I find VS with Vim as its text editor to be quite comfy senpai. You do lose a few vim features this way since the vim VS plugin is only an emulator, but VS's features like breakpoints and integration with the debugger and whatnot make up for that.

people IN THIS THREAD arguing against trips of truth. what a fucking disappointment

The point of being good at vi is that you can do whatever the shit you want on pretty much any machine you end up on from any situation.

And you are good at vim you are fine at vi.

>visual studio
Can it do something that VSCode can't?
>inb4 aspie.net
nobody uses that shit