Why does discord need to know what programs I am running in my computer?

Why does discord need to know what programs I am running in my computer?

Attached: index.png (299x168, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ordoevangelistarum.com/psa-discord-is-jewish-use-riot/
adweek.com/digital/openfeint-lawsuit-gree/
mediapost.com/publications/article/152971/openfeint-sued-for-misappropriating-mobile-gamers.html?edition=
techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/discord-citron/
businessinsider.com/this-26-year-old-just-sold-his-company-for-104-million-2011-5
google.com/search?client=ubuntu&hs=vJT&ei=yKdXW6KjC4q2tQW83q6YAg&q=openfeint sued&oq=openfeint sued&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3537.5150.0.5280.14.14.0.0.0.0.141.1261.9j5.14.0..2..0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.13.1177...0j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i30k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.--Q-OwOkeEE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because he wants to be steam and do the same annoying as fuck thing of telling everyone which games/programs you're running.

To detect if you are running any vidya to put up the overlay on it.

Disable the auto game detection and the overlay if you are so worried about your privacy

What's up with all the Discord threads lately?
You really like to circle jerk about software you don't even use because privacy. Either use the software or don't and then shut up about it because it isn't ever going to change into a pro privacy platform.
Go make your own Discord and call it Harmony or something. The foundations have already been laid for you, just make a Matrix client that looks as good and works as well as Discord.

It's tradition of Jow Forums to hate anything popular. Apple, discord, you name it.

Discord
Online gaming
Cancer

>What's up with all the Discord threads lately?
Discord is software. Software is technolo/g/.

Yeah but you don't see threads about other popular software.
Microsoft Office is just as botnet as Discord, and arguably more widely used. Why no Microsoft Office threads? What makes Discord so popular to complain about? Is it because there just aren't any viable alternatives to it?

What else are they going to sell if not loggings of your processes?

I use discord, it's comfy.

>Is it because there just aren't any viable alternatives to it?
yes. the only decent alternative is telegram but nobody fucking uses it and the groups don't have separate channels.

apple is hated cause their products are shitty. discord is hated cause muh botnet

sell what programs you run while pretending it's for overlay
same thing the creator's old program got sued into oblivion for

Its literally the main feature of the desktop client, just use the web version if you feel violated.
going to need a source for that bud

>going to need a source for that bud
Not him but the founder of Discord is Jason Citron AKA the founder of Openfeint.
Openfeint was sued for violating their privacy policy. They were collecting more data then they said they were and sending it unencrypted to their servers, GPS location, contacts, etc.
The lawsuit was dismissed and the company was sold to a Japanese company before shutting down.
So the Founder of Discord has a history of violating privacy to make some money, and doing it in an insecure way.

>being this oblivious
ordoevangelistarum.com/psa-discord-is-jewish-use-riot/
adweek.com/digital/openfeint-lawsuit-gree/
mediapost.com/publications/article/152971/openfeint-sued-for-misappropriating-mobile-gamers.html?edition=

techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/discord-citron/
businessinsider.com/this-26-year-old-just-sold-his-company-for-104-million-2011-5

google.com/search?client=ubuntu&hs=vJT&ei=yKdXW6KjC4q2tQW83q6YAg&q=openfeint sued&oq=openfeint sued&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3537.5150.0.5280.14.14.0.0.0.0.141.1261.9j5.14.0..2..0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.13.1177...0j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i30k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.--Q-OwOkeEE

here's a link to google since you've never heard of it

Mumble works fine, people just choose not to use it.

mumble needs a chat interface that saves and it would have taken over 10 years ago

Just use IRC.

That's literally all Discord uses anyway.

shills

>the only decent alternative
Hold on there, buddy.

>because it's popular
no, because it's malware.

Discord is garbage shit who sell info or outright use it for shade reasons.

They still collect the information if you disable it. I did a GDRP request on them. They also track your location, OS etc when you launch discord.

We discussed this in another thread, but discord users won't accept having to set up an IRC and a Mumble AND all the other shit they'd need to set up in order to get feature-parity with discord. People today aren't going to fuck around with daemons and shit when they can have it all available to them essentially just by making a discord account - one account.

The Unix philosophy is dead in the eyes of normies. Accept it and move on to something better. Suggest Riot.im or something like that if you want to propose a Free Software replacement.

Having prying eyes on you is not comfy.

so they can collect data as to what type of person you are, along with what you say, to better gauge and market advertisements to you
you are the product

This

That's what they would do, if they weren't openly against all data collection.

Take your tinfoil hat off.

>video / voice calling
>free servers with no player cap
>file sharing
>embedded images
>all sorts of bots

Why is it always the most useful programs that you fags don't want us to use? Discord is objectively the best communication tool right now.

>privacy vs convenience argument

This information hardly seems of any consequences and instead seems like they're doing their due diligence in ensuring they support all platforms and can set up teams to work during peak hours. However, I understand your concern.
The likes of Microsoft have made it so I don't ever want to be tracked by anything/anyone. The main problem is they’re using this data to try and sell you shit.

>Just use IRC.
Pretty much this.

they are against 3rd party data collection
their terms of use clearly states that they have the rights to all data on the platform

Convenience wins unless you're a pedo

There is literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile.

nice try, CIAnigger

You're right but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's illegal and therefore needs privacy

>privacy is an afterthought unless you are a pedo
Uhuh, tell me more.

I wanna lick a lil boicock uwu

>using a white nationalist site as a source
>using DE JOOS as an argument
stopped there

I contacted discord with a report about a literal pedo using their service for illegal shit and they said they couldn't do anything because the messages in question were deleted and unrecoverable.

Stuff only gets stored on their servers for 24 hrs until it's gone so there was nothing they could do

Does Jewgle blacklist certain people on Recaptcha based on IP or something?
I use noscript captcha with 4chanX but I noticed that on any site where it isn't an option I get the really slow ones that fade out or have to do 10 street sign ones in a row and they're always incorrect.

Attached: 1506779799205.png (908x222, 23K)

>not using web version
baka

Attached: snapshot_08.48.png (1920x1080, 2.39M)

I've been having this everywhere lately. Idk if gook moot is trying to kill Jow Forums but it's almost not worth it to go through 100 captcha's to get my post displayed. And at that point, why even keep coming to the site? I love telling people to install gentoo as much as the next guy, but its simply not worth it.

>using Discord
>he doesn't use XMPP
[email protected]

>Why does discord need to know what programs I am running in my computer?
It doesn't, just use the web client.

shhht stop making sense

they are stealing our vydyagayms and souls

this should be a default answer on every Jow Forums post

your data
your precious data!!!
like knowing which game you play and how much
or ... even knowing in which country you're
or ... that's crazy man ... they will know your OS!!!!!!!! *rips off hair*

MAN THEY EVEN USE THAT TO DISPLAY ADVERTISEMENTS SO YOU WILL BE COERCED TO BUY STUFF fuck this is so illegal

owo

How can I get a job as a shill?

not sure, try ask it to your pedo friends next time they *come* over

put some clothes on, i can see right through you

>What's up with all the Discord threads lately?
>lately
Jow Forums has been shitting on Discord since it was created, rightfully so

unexpected zenyatta

Attached: A0DC0409-107F-4057-82FF-A0CCC2403856.jpg (1201x1490, 1.74M)

schizo incel trump cultist lmao
"muh i'm so stupid that i can't finish a captcha must be DA JOOS"
dumb autistic bitch

I requested my data after deleting everything, they just sent me a bunch of mostly empty files with some basic location and OS telemetry. They either actually delete stuff that is deleted, or lie about it which would open them up to massive liability again (but he has lied about privacy in the past so I don't really trust him). I'm more concerned that they might store and transport data insecurely though.

Harmony would be a really good name for a Discord alternative though, especially if it had all the same features.
I'm not a programmer, but couldn't you also copy the features that show details of what game you are playing by using the same API stuff? I don't see any reason why literally every feature can't be copied 1-1.
Also their name literally means confused or lack of agreement, why the fuck would they choose Discord as their name?

There is literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile.

because its edgy and cant be confused in conversation in its intend use-case with its intended userbase

Harmony also has e-dating associations with it.

“hey we’re in Discord”

game overlay and spotify integration.

Why does Xfire need to know that?
Why does Steam need to know that?
Why does nVidia need to know that?
Why does Windows above 7 need to know that?

Fucking kys.

because discord is botnet

>I'm not a programmer, but couldn't you also copy the features that show details of what game you are playing by using the same API stuff? I don't see any reason why literally every feature can't be copied 1-1.

Other companies could copy it 1-1 with the same APIs, but many people would feel sketched out by something like Twitch integration on a fledgling app.

>many people would feel sketched out by something like Twitch integration on a fledgling app
And many people feel sketched out by all of this integration on a mature app like Discord.
I think that in order to get a viable alternative to become popular it has to have all the same EXACT features plus be completely open source.
If people don't want the integration they could turn it off just like in Discord, but because it would be open source they can know for sure that the community made sure it actually stops collecting that data (unlike Discord where we have no idea)

The intended userbase wouldn’t feel sketched out if it’s a mature app. It would be the natural evolution to integrate something.

Introducing some sort of integration on a fledgling app, on the other hand, which hasnt had the time tested to see if it has proper security measures, whether or not it’s scumming your credentials, or even worth connecting a payment account to it for premium features is the exact sort of sketchiness that will keep Discord on top.

Simply out, you dont just have to beat Discord at their own game, but you’d need to amass the same popularity to even begin to have trust in its integrations, let alone be profitable.

The open source nature of it would end up being a turn off.

Why do you care? Do you have something to hide?

From what I've seen of Discord users, they don't give a shit about privacy/security. They don't trust it because it is "mature", they trust it because they used it for 5 minutes and it has an excellent UI and works extremely well. My friends switched from Teamspeak to Discord when it was still early days just because the UI looked nice and it had a few more features.
And who said anything about a payment account? The point of this is to be free and open source and not have any "premium features", If anything you could add in the Nitro features for free and people would switch because it would be like having Discord Nitro for free.
Initially it would only be used by those of us that dislike Discord, security and privacy oriented people, some of whom are programmers and can contribute to the project. Obviously it would need to be really polished before mass adoption could happen if it ever did, and us using it heavily would give time to make it a viable alternative.
I don't even think that most of us care about mass adoption. We just want something that our friends and colleagues will use but because Discord exists and is free they aren't going to switch to the inferior product. Hence making something literally identical to Discord.

The average normie doesn’t understand encryption.

They see those two words “open source” and automatically think that anyone can “hack” their way into secure elements of a particular app because it bares it all, available on the internet.

This hurts its adoption rate and popularity.

Furthermore, normies don’t care if their personal data is being mined. They would rather place blind trust in the authoring company to either not snoop (or discretely sell that data in non-compromising/identifying ways) than choose to believe open-source is more private.

It’s stupid, but that’s just how it is.

You have to recondition an entire audience (and likewise spend hundreds in marketing/volunteered educational material) to get them to understand that just because it’s open source doesn’t mean your “Harmony” server is an open, easily discovered server.

This creates a huge barrier in adoption rate and slows down the rollouts of integrations. For the exact same reasons Discord didn’t rollout screensharinf until well into its lifespan, you can’t rollout basic API integrations and sign-ins... you’re stuck playing catch up some odd 3 behind Discord.

And the fact that it’d be open source means it’s not lucrative enough to be a priority for a developing body. You can’t offer a “Discord Nitro subscription”, because you’re already an open source project. Any potential money ends up being based in complete donations, which almost no one does.

Basically, this could have only worked if Discord was still new... and back then you’d have been competing against Curse/Teamspeak/Ventrilo

>Stuff only gets stored on their servers for 24 hrs
That can't be right. I posted an image 3 days ago and deleted it within 10 minutes of posting, yet it's still accessible through the direct link (even with a clear cache or on a different browser).

>They see those two words “open source” and automatically think that anyone can “hack” their way into secure elements
Discord openly touts how many dozens of open source projects they use though? Sure the average person doesn't understand that open source components doesn't necessarily mean open source, but the term is still there.
We could market it as FOSS, When "normies" see "Free and Open Source" they ignore everything after the word Free, people like free stuff. Or don't use open source in the marketing at all, just stick a link to the github at the bottom of the website if you want mass adoption+open source.

>From what I've seen of Discord users, they don't give a shit about privacy/security. They don't trust it because it is "mature", they trust it because they used it for 5 minutes and it has an excellent UI and works extremely well.

They do give a shit about privacy in two ways.
Nudes and dickpics. Custom server URL shortlinks.

You cannot facilitate those two with an open source, because of above aforementioned misconception with open source and security (no one would set up an NSFW nudes channel because they mistakenly believe it’s unsecure), and because the open source alternative would end up having shortlinks operating exactly like domain hosting with all of the potential problems that includes (domain squatting for profit).

Nitro features being added for free would end up being a mistake.

I'll make the logo

Idiot

There’s a difference between the touting using a bunch of open source elements, and the client itself being open source,

The moment you say “open source voice and text IRC” thats the moment no normie will ever think its secure.

That's debatable, most normies don't even know what open source is and as usual they don't care as long as it just werks

Truth

How do you think Discord makes money to keep their servers up?
Their malware is free, they don't show ads, so they obviously sell all the shit they dig up on you.

>Nitro features being added for free would end up being a mistake
But if you wanted adoption that is the way to do it. Sure at that point you would have to rely on donations, but I think enough programmers want an open source comms platform that they can use with friends that maintaining it wouldn't be an issue.
The point is that normies don't understand the difference, to them it doesn't matter if the entire client is open source or if it just uses open source components, they just see open source and think of it the same way.
I know a lot of normies from a variety of backgrounds and none of them have any issues with thinking open source is secure, they just don't like it because open source projects are almost never as polished and clean looking as their proprietary counterparts.

If anything, they don't trust it because its often associated with Loonix which most normies are scared of and with inverior, harder to use versions of proprietary software

I did it in my country too. Let's hope they get hit with a billion dollar fine.

Can we talk about the real fucking problem?

Steam just updated to use Discord's interface:

1) Wasted space between text.
2) Fewer font sizes
3) Removed timestamps next to text
4) censorship on links, no embedding
5) WHY THE FUCK WOULD I WANT A AMES GROUP AT THE TOP OF MY FRIENDS LIST YOU STUPID NIGGERS
6) SERIOUSLY WHO GOES TO THEIR FRIENDS LIST TO GATHER UP WHO'S PLAYING CS:SHIT OR OTHER GAY RETARDATION
7) Group chats at the bottom, can't remove that either

I sent them a bug report. Is the beginning of the downfall of Steam, like Firefox shitting itself for a decade straight by copying Chrome and completely disregarding the userbase?

>Is the beginning of the downfall of Steam
This is something I'm scared of, I stupidly put so much fucking money into my steam library idk what I'll do if it were to just disappear.
I guess I would just pirate everything that I paid for, seems like a shitty work around though. Also Steam's DRM is actually pretty great functionality-wise.
Even DRM free platforms could allow you to lose your library right? Like if I were to start buying games on GOG and they shut down I would still lose my library. The only solution is to buy physical copies I guess, but then you miss out on all the indie stuff and great sales.

>using the Steam chat
Hell, the reason they are trying so hard to copy discord is because no one used it in the first place

I used it to CHAT and send stupid links. I didn't use it for voice because it was lower quality or had interface issues with my friends. For a while 100% of the links I sent weren't making it through, and now it's about 25%, but I'll probably stop using it entirely if I get my friends Discord. Discord's interface isn't even that great: no friend groups, can't have organized windows/tabs for chats and groups, can't even have two friend chats open, etc. I just use it because I'm talking to people from outside Steam.

So the "now playing" and "overlay" features work.

t. Actual Redditor that thinks any differing opinion is contrarian

I don't live in the dystopian police state of Europe so I'll just have to choose not to use their service if I do t like how they handle my information instead of having Big Brother have to protect me from myself because I'm too much of a retard to function like an adult.

To sell your data idiot

because it needs to integrate with all your games

just use riot.im

if "Harmony" makes you think of the fantastic Blizzard™ product Overwatch© then I'm really glad because we're on the same page, my friend!

Attached: cha-ching.png (133x272, 18K)

>thinking I read any of the random sites I linked to shut the idiot up

>Go make your own Discord and call it Harmony or something.

It's called IRC.

>no voice chat
>no image uploads
>no chat history
>no friends list
>no pinned messages
>no video chat

>inb4 just set up a mumble server, a bouncer, and a billion other things
Nobody wants to do that just to get feature parity with discord, which just requires you sign up and that's pretty much it.
The Unix Philosophy is dead in the eyes of the majority of people. Accept it and move on. Suggest something like Riot.im if you want to recommend a free software replacement for discord.

>software you don't even use
thats where you're wrong, kid. they do use it. this is nu/g/