Linux is better then macOS because it has package management

>linux is better then macOS because it has package management
what about brew?
>macOS sucks because it has a 3rd party package manager
what makes it third party?
>because it's open source and maintained by a bunch of anonymous neckbeards
so basically like every linux package manager

linuxcucks got told

Attached: u1WLwLu1+0p8lw37UbRlDoKi2aq0A3Mao2+nFtYkVtYMkmteiqF1pRT0tclpxOKXMu9jdlg2pSdhKSNJzR22chN2I9hIYHpx5LW5 (325x155, 5K)

OS X standard application bundling is pretty good except for the lack of sandboxing (no easy way to uninstall an app that scattered files everywhere). For terminal stuff you're on your own because Mac isn't for terminal stuff.

Homebrew is absolute shit. MacPorts is where it's at.

Attached: How-to-Install-a-Python-3-Environment-on-Mac-OS-X-for-Machine-Learning-and-Deep-Learning.png (704x340, 35K)

Correction.
Linux is better because it's package management isn't complete shit. Clearly, you don't know what a good package manager is.

You got us. Now stay over there at iOS, please.

i have one serious question for mac users here:
how can you type on that shitty keyboard? how the fuck you do type special characters?
especially with qwertz layout, programming just doesnt work because of the oscurly hidden special chars like curly brackets

Attached: 1395598936173.jpg (319x249, 14K)

Last time I tried it, a lot of packages were outdated as all hell, and it was missing quite a few packages that homebrew offers

>For terminal stuff you're on your own because Mac isn't for terminal stuff.
bait?

>I need a good source based package manager
PKGSRC
>I want binaries
Joyent pkgsrc.

hackintosh with normal mechanical keyboard.

i also have a macbook air, and it has a decent keyboard for a laptop

>all macs are laptops
Ummm sweaty...

Attached: IMG_20180725_000652.jpg (2560x1920, 1.6M)

can anyone actually argue why homebrew is bad, or do they just not like it because it installs in /usr/local and it's not muh unix way?

>because it installs in /usr/local and it's not muh unix way?
Solaris admin from the 90's; it's where we installed sunsite pkgs. Why is this considered wrong today?

Because some people don't know they can add it to their $PATH

>how the fuck you do type special characters?

Like what?

>because of the oscurly hidden special chars like curly brackets

Get a better keyboard layout that actually has curly brackets. If not, see pic related for Alt keys.

Attached: qwertz.png (1046x860, 77K)

>want to see the other end of a dependency tree
>oh I know, i'll just invert the tree
>homebrew informs the developer, who proceeds to shit on you at twitter

Show me the brew command to update my entire system, from the kernel to packages installed through brew.

don't know about brew but in pkgsrc
pkg_rolling-replace && softwareupdate -iva

Exactly, there's a command for brew and one for pkgsrc. There's none for brew or pkgsrc to update packages installed by both. It's the problem of using more than 1 package manager.

Also
>&&
I said THE command.

I don't know how command linecomposition works in UNIX.
It's ok linbabby's you'll be windows one day.

But Linux does that, windows doesn't... And that's 2 commands, not one.

>And that's 2 commands, not one.
composition makes it one.
And if Linux wouldn't have fucked it up we'd still have SVR4 packaging and not 1039093497 different/incompatible package managers.

>And that's 2 commands, not one.
>composition makes it one.
No it doesn't.
>And if Linux wouldn't have fucked it up we'd still have SVR4 packaging and not 1039093497 different/incompatible package managers.
Name 6.

Which homebrew apps should i install for mac?

Any media players worth using besides vlc?

Protip: Macports was deprecated years ago for Homebrew. Nobody uses MacPorts anymore.

Attached: 1532419565965.jpg (1080x1348, 1.66M)

>No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. A shell script is one command.
>name 6
RPM
Pacman
apt
XBPS
pkgtool
dpkg

Alright then, one non-composed command. There isn't one. Having multiple package managers leads to multiple installations of the same thing and dependency problems. Pic related, brew fucking up over a package installed by pkgsrc.

Nice package manager knowledge btw.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-08-17-39-23-426_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg (1080x2072, 566K)

>pkgsrc brew
Well holy fuck apt and rpm isn't compatible either!!!! Why can't they be compatible?!!

>so SEETHING you had to make another thread

Who installs apt on the same computer? No one, because you can add repos to both or remove both. You can't remove pkgsrc or add repos, so you need an extra package manager - enter brew and the shitfest.

I lolled

*Apt and rpm

>Who installs apt on the same computer? No one
I guess the same person that would install pkgsrc and brew together?
Are you saying you can't install apt and rpm on the same machine? because you can.

I like mac, but dislike Homebrew.

Wrong. It has a proper *nix CLI toolset. At the very least, it's a lot better than the emulated syscall frankenstein mess on Windows (WSL)

nix > brew
also nix has an operating system: NixOS

Get brew-cask and install IINA. It's the less autistic version of mpv.

I never said that. Did you conveniently ignore the rest of my post where I explain you need brew because you can't remove pkgsrc or add repos to it, so you need brew? You don't need rpm because you can add repos to rpm and even remove it, and vice versa.

>because you can't remove pkgsrc or add repos to it
I was being friendly because you're wrong.

>pkgsrc repos
pkgin
joyent
Stop being stupid little linux babby. There are many OS's out there that are far better than your basement toy.

idiot

Provide a source of how to add a repository to pkgsrc in macOS. Because if that were possible, people wouldn't use brew.

BASED MACOS

Attached: 1531780701931.jpg (1280x1806, 402K)

There are multiple third party pkgsrc repos.
Google them.

That wasn't my question, you're again conveniently misreading. I asked how can I add a repository to pkgsrc in macOS. I'm not in charge of proving your bullshit claims, either provide evidence (which there isn't) or fuck off.

Why you'd just move the goalposts to some bullshit thing some obscure linux hobbyist disto does. You have no idea what you're talking about you've already been proven a linbabby "command line composition" isn't a command UNIX newb.

>You can do this!
>Ok show me how
>M-muh goalposts
Every single time a macfag claims pkgsrc can add repos it's the same. Sorry you were proven wrong.

joyent
pkgin
pkgsrc-wip
Are you fucking dense? Do you need more handholding like i'm the fucking arch wiki?

>that filename
Kill yourself normie

I need a source on how to add a repository to pkgsrc on macOS. I'll repeat the question every time you pretend to ignore it.

>this tech illiterate imbecile trying to shill homebrew.

LOOK AT HIM, LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH

Attached: cuck.png (1418x220, 39K)

Is there an OSX package manager that works with old versions?

>I need a source
You need handholding. sorry archbabby you need to actually read docs in UNIX.

>For terminal stuff you're on your own because Mac isn't for terminal stuff.
Jow Forums is so fucking terrible nowadays I can't even tell if this is bait or not.

5 posts in, zero evidence or sources for your claim.
You can't add a repo to pkgsrc in macOS, deal with it.

Is there any linux package manager that comes with google botnet enabled by default?

>You need to read docs
I think I asked for them several times, but you can't seem to find them. Could it be you're lying?

Funny how I'm doing just that ;)
Linbabby can't into environment variables.
I'm using pkgsrc and joyent binaries.

Linux is a kernel. It does not have packages but modules.

Still zero proof.

>It's the problem of using more than 1 package manager.
If you're developing in any other language other than C and C++, unfortunately both Linux and OS X have >1 package manager. The system/generic one and of the language used (e.g. pip, gem...).
Ironically, though late in the game, Windows is actually working towards fixing this mess. OneGet can be used as front-end to multiple package managers, letting language developers maintain their own tool without burdening system's repos.

I like it when libabby's can't do anything outside of arch wiki. It's cute.

>The system/generic one and of the language used (e.g. pip, gem...).
Even on Linux I never do this. Found out the hard way.

>homebrew
You need constant reinstall package to fix problems or search for specific fix for homebrew because special configuration homebrew.

Just to mananger one dozens package in Linux don’t get troubles even with thousand package.

>Makes claim
>Gets asked for proof
>Ignores and resorts to generic insults

My Linux package manager has all the python packages I need. I don't use php or ruby.

>My Linux package manager
which one is that?

Pacman.

To be honest, mac is just an overpriced Linux distro.
Sometimes is optimized for his closed hardware and the gui was superior for a period of time.

But now, in 1999+19, we have decent guis for open Linux distros and pretty decent computer power even in non optimizable environments.

Win has no purpose thought.

Hold up, German keyboards DON'T have curly braces???

Jesus, it's no wonder their software is so bad. Who knows how many unclosed loops and functions are a direct result of all those fucking umlauts.

This results in redundant work though as every distro has to make and keep updated their own packages. Moreover, regardless of how many you have, none has the entire language repo. For example, I bet none has SnapPy which is a fine program for studying topology and geometry.

Sure, if I needed something else not on the repos or something more up to date I'd use pip.
>redundant because every distro
I don't use every distro. I use mine. I don't care what Ubuntu does, it doesn't affect my OS.

Butthurt itoddlers thinking just because you can cd and ls you're using a hacker os

I can do that on literally any fucking is out there including windows

The aur was compromised.
enjoy your gaping security hole.

Where did I say I used the AUR? Are you still mad because you claimed you could add repos to pkgsrc and then realized that was a lie?

Deduction. Are you saying you don't use the AUR?

I said neither, you assumed something.

>doesn't know how to disable analytics
>doesn't provide source
LOOK AT HIM, LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH

Macports, Fink, and there's an experimental version of brew for Tiger.

>Deduction
Can you deduce a way to prove you your claim that you can add repositories to pkgsrc?

Wouldn't deduction be on your part.
But i'd have to put the clues in a wiki wouldn't i?

In this sense windows has the best of it all

You'd need to actually prove the claim you made, not just spout random names and expect other people to dig through google results for you. But I guess insults and repeating "muh wiki" ad nauseum works too.

>not just spout random names
A samsung company is random.
And this guy posts on a tech board ;)

>phone-poster
>calling anyone else a toddler

Attached: cringe.webm (1280x720, 359K)

>expect other people to dig through google results for you.
Arch babby needs a way to cut n' paste a command. This is rich!

if i posted a screenshot of a blog claiming the earth was flat would you believe it?
oh wait... you would. hmm

I actually googled "joyent add repository". There doesn't seem to be a way. Apparently joyent just provides the pkgin/pkg_* binaries.

You claimed this was possible. I asked for proof, you refused and told me to find it. I looked at documentation and there doesn't seem to be a single way I can add a repository to pkgsrc so I don't have to depend on brew. Are you going to prove your claim or not?

You made the claim, not me. It's not my job to prove your bullshit.
Here, let me try: there is a teapot orbiting the Earth. I don't have to prove it, just google it.

What fucking command, you retard, you've been asked tons of times. If there is a command for adding repositories to pkgsrc, post it and I'll gladly cut and paste it, but there isn't because you're lying.

But macOS in fact has a package management. It works in a similar way to what GoboLinux does.
We had a thread about this where an idiot insisted in moving the goalpost when he got BTFO by an user that explained macOS innards to him.
What the heck are talking about? A mac keyboard is just a normal keyboard.

what?

>Apparently joyent just provides the pkgin/pkg_* binaries
mactards can't even into a package manager correclty.

The default package manager in macOS can't be removed and you can't add repositories to it.

I use Linux, moron. Some moron claimed pkgsrc can have repos added to it and claimed joyent was able to do it. When asked for proof, none was given.

>We had a thread about this
Link?

>he doesn't know about shellshock
>or CVE-2017-1000082

mpv is the best media player. drop vlc as soon as you can.

>so i don't have to depend on brew
>linux
Fucking archbabby doesn't even know which package manager he should use.

Doesn't arch use different package managers for AUR and base?

do you need to be directly linked to the documentation for the software you absolute fucking toddler?
next thing you know you're going to sue a company for not putting a red arrow and twelve hi-bright indicator stickers on the user manual front-and-center when you open a product.

I think you should re-read my posts, mate. I only use one package manager on my OS because it can have repos added to it. The I in "so I don't have to depend on brew" was a hypothetical one, as in "so someone using macOS doesn't have to depend on brew".
Is this a new goalpost movement to divert from the inevitable fact that pkgsrc can't have repos added to it and that you have zero proof as to otherwise? Because I've asked for a way to do it about 10 times now, and you never seem to be able to. It's almost like it's a lie.

>You need constant reinstall package to fix problems or search for specific fix for homebrew because special configuration homebrew.
>Just to mananger one dozens package in Linux don’t get troubles even with thousand package.
Was this supposed to be English? Dear lord.