/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Impossible Mission Edition: Vinyl Tech

If you need purchase advice please let us know if you live in the USA (the best), Europe (meh), or in a 3rd world country like Australia (Oi gday m8). And post your budget.

And if you think KEF is lousy, please post your system first so we know if your judgment is sound, no pun intended.

And if you think LSR305 is the best speaker ever made, please post a pic of your surroundings so we can be sure you are not institutionalized for mental illness.

Attached: Floating-Vinyl-Player.jpg (2000x1409, 296K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/
johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/
gikacoustics.com/educational-videos/
amcoustics.com/tools/amroc
mega.nz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: 23-columbia-house.w1200.h630.jpg (1200x630, 348K)

Attached: Audio_Setup_Gross.jpg (951x634, 178K)

Attached: 0d1bcf851d265dcc77d51e9afb8b2710.jpg (736x1033, 148K)

Attached: mag lev record playah.jpg (1200x600, 51K)

You need a speaker update.

Attached: 62b05368a363932164ff60be2451c7f9.jpg (2048x1152, 347K)

Attached: Chrysler-phonograph.jpg (800x600, 83K)

My speakers will be fixed soon. Trying to source a new cloth cover/grille + pegs and metal stand.

Attached: 17662581e86d0a4f71.jpg (960x640, 58K)

Attached: dims.jpg (1400x958, 1.17M)

the journey is progressing

Attached: $_57.jpg (768x1024, 43K)

the lsr 305 sure are an exceptional pair of speakers.

they have a sound representation that's hard to beat for the price... or maybe unbeatable

Attached: 20180720_192350.jpg (4032x3024, 3.26M)

haha why

Attached: 081015_010.jpg (794x585, 173K)

"I recommend the Crosley CR8005A to somebody that doesn’t really care about sound quality and wants a very easy to use player. Someone that just wants to plug-and-play without messing up with external speakers, cords or a complicated setup. The Crosley Cruiser may be good for you, if you like an old lesser quality sound. Great product if what you want is a nice decorative piece regardless of the sound quality."

MAXIMUM MEME

Attached: Crosley-Cruiser-MackieCR3-600.jpg (600x270, 42K)

Attached: kimnofmttpxsfp3fufrf.jpg (620x350, 45K)

Day 20 of waiting for my new speakers.

Attached: 68301627_p0.jpg (900x1189, 728K)

Attached: vinylman.gif (600x384, 114K)

Youre gonna drive yourself nuts.

Attached: no.jpg (1920x1080, 129K)

What's the best pair of headphones I can get for $100? I don't like bass boosted mud fart shit in my ear. I like voices to be as clear as possible. Would like for it to be durable enough to be taken with me on the NYC subway. (That's why I don't want to spend a whole lot on them because they WILL get stolen.)

When I glanced at the thumbnail I thought it said "It's a thot".

Attached: 1530638508836.jpg (480x480, 20K)

on the last day, it's not called muh kef's anymore

it's gonna be

>muh memebeth's

Anime ruined real women for me.

is this retard got memed into harbeth now?

LOL

Harbeth is top rated, yo.

Attached: x41.jpg (1839x1223, 1.22M)

So I'm going to make my own acoustic panels with rockwool and fabric, any tips on placement? Should I put some on the ceiling?

first reflection spots
sbir
flutter echo inducing parallel surfaces
get a measurement mic to find out

>their speakers don't have a sensitivity rating of at least 100 db

Attached: 1e4b14f34b50cc4852267941e7fbb170.jpg (767x960, 124K)

our speakers aren't made of paper

Attached: that jbl quality.jpg (337x450, 16K)

how many days left user? I'm so excited and I don't even get to hear them.

Attached: Mx4xCRAupxk.jpg (837x1080, 108K)

>anything beyond 44.1KHz/16 bit depth
is placebo

Attached: you_sicken_me.jpg (522x501, 57K)

I love my MS M10
Topaz am5 pairs with it nicely

Attached: 1491516904807.jpg (1980x1539, 935K)

I have no idea if you are agreeing or what

Thanks for being excited for me :0 and I think maybe 10-14 more days. They told me ~1 month after I ordered, which was July 4th.

Attached: 53058766_p0.png (600x800, 532K)

Is this it? Is this the level of Jow Forums audiophiles?

I want to talk about setting up my room acoustic treatments, how to set up a 5.2 home teather in my basement, what the principal difference between monitors and hifi speakers is.

Where do I go for that? Somebody point me in the direction of real enthusiasts that isn’t the reddit-tier head-fi shit, but isn’t “$10,000 cables make a difference to our senile ears” either.

Attached: FE446863-CAAE-40B4-9B58-B692AC0DB183.jpg (724x1024, 109K)

hi-fi is marketing, monitor is used by audio engineers

>91db
it just werks

I saw a webm or gif of an old audiophile guy showing physical pain as he listened to some shitty headphones. Can someone post a link to the video? I'm pretty sure it's from YouTube.

>muh bbc heritage
Avoid brands that cling on to glory days when they were relevant in the pro industry. You know the big name studios just switch back to ATCs after they're done with promo shilling.

Harbeths are pleasing speakers no doubt, but you're paying a 400% surcharge for bbc heritage, it's a status symbol of audio rubes. At the same price points I'd pick alternatives from the likes of atc, amphion, dutch&dutch, focal, genelec, geithan, kii, neumann, quested and psi audio for more accurate and modern designs/drivers/dsp.

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

>Somebody point me in the direction of real enthusiasts that isn’t the reddit-tier head-fi shit, but isn’t “$10,000 cables make a difference to our senile ears” either.
room acoustics/treatment resources
>gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/
>johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/
>gikacoustics.com/educational-videos/
and a room mode calculator
>amcoustics.com/tools/amroc

>Is this the level of Jow Forums audiophiles?
Ask more questions.
>setting up my room acoustic treatments
Low-frequency pressure based traps work best at pressure maxima. Axial mode maxima are guaranteed at the boundaries of the room, so the highest pressure is at the corners and room edges.
Porous, or viscous, absorbers work by inducing losses at air velocity maxima. Standing waves have the least velocity near boundaries, so the acoustic foam and wool placed on the walls are actually the least effective method of using the material. Ideally, you might install a large amount of the material a bit off the boundary, such as by drop ceiling.
>5
0, ±30, ±110 to start with. Play around as needed, and try to maintain symmetry with boundaries, if possible.
>.2
More subs are better than fewer. Try placing the subwoofers at opposite edges of the room. For an ideal rectangular room, two subs would be placed at opposite edges at the midpoint of each wall.
>what the principal difference between monitors and hifi speakers is.
Marketing, aesthetics, inputs. Mostly.
>where
If you want a discussion, AVSforum and Gearslutz have good subforums.
To get the information, reading a book would be the most reliable method, if dense.
Online articles won't go into as much depth, but they can provide other useful bits, such as calculators and such.

Anyone here ever fix up a tube radio? I've got a 931 sparton I want to get working again. It's missing a tube and some trim but it survived a house fire...

Obviously the finish is fucked too after that but the wood itself is good. I'm going to need to source some tubes and replace the leather on the speaker- a Jensen electrodynamic D-7.

My goal is to fix it, see if any channels locally on AM are worth a damn, and if not create some sort of small AC transmitter to play music through it. I saw one guy convert an FM-bluetooth to AM-bluetooth for example.

Would it be sacrilege to replace all of the old wiring? the cloth insulation sketches me out, I could easily sleeve some modern wiring with a cloth component to mimic vintage wiring.

SO HIPSTER BET THAT GUY RIDES AROUND ON A PENNY FARTHING

What's the best theme for a newly Rockboxed clip+

hello, probably the first and last time i'll be posting in this general, so sorry in advance for the long post.
i need some recommendations for 150$ budget (europoor,also fuck taxes) in-ear headphones, for following tasks: EDM (mainly dnb),metal,classical and sometimes bl*ck people music. Also obviously gayming (though not so much FPS games to get 7.1 swamp-ear headphones), movies & both at the same time.
Also very important: asmr, though you don't have to remind me i'm a degenerate(to rectify my dignity, only recently).
That's why i'm looking for something that won't impale my ear while i sleep, though i'm not interested for some hipster bandana sleeping shit.
I'm coming from a pair of CX 300 if it helps, and also i'm looking for something preferably with "higher highs" compared to these, also the L shape jack is nice but i won't die without it, i've seen many headphones in this range that don't have it.
Other things:
-something with at least 1.4m cable
-using lagdroid
-i liked the bass on the 300, but i won't die without it
As i did my research i figured there are a lot of new companies (even for the region i'm in) that i haven't heard of and releasing a fuck ton of products.I found for the same price headphones with 15 to 40kHz range and other with 22 to 20kHz range, some with 16 db sens and other with 36.
I understand the possible inefficiency of running 150$ headphones on a shitty PC without even flac audio and a dedicated audio card, but firstly i want something reliable that won't die on me in less than a year.Also if possible something that can withstand 100% of the volume for at least 30% of the playtime

Again, sorry for the long,boring,noobie post.If you want to blackmail me i can hook you up with a pipe organ audience if you'll ever visit eastern europe(lol)
>i've already read like 15 articles so don't link me shit i'll have to read(again)
Thanks

gf restless so played eagles
so sweet the sound she fell asleep
this is the effect of hifi

Attached: DSC_6904.jpg (1755x803, 713K)

You should really post this in /hpg or link to it.

Only good thing about living in LA: driving distance from Amoeba

Attached: AC43857A-7475-4BAE-92E2-95415F4215AA.jpg (4032x3024, 3.18M)

What do you guys think about the Edifier R1280T for a poor fat setup?

>iktfb.jpg

i already ordered fiio fh1, but thanks for the interest and the tip, i probably will when i will fall for the audiophile meme and plan my next upgrade.
For now i figured it's no point in buying something higher if i don't have a DAC, though the quality difference will obiously still be there

>Edifier R1280T

it will work, probably better than most logitech speakers

if you have a recent somewhat nice smartphone,the DAC wouldn't really matter.

if you have a tacky old laptop, then you will here a difference.

if you use a somewhat recent z170+/am4 mainboard, then you won't need a DAC either.

modern DACs really don't do much to the sound at the moment when listening to mp3's. just make sure they're atleast 320kbit/s

so shit it puts you to sleep. got it f.am

women fall asleep at your side because their instincts tell them to rest securely at a male, not because of your music retard. next step is they want baby

i have like the cheapest x370 motherboard so i think i'm fine(though it has features like magnetic interference or some bullshit)
Also i really noticed that my CX 300 were louder on my lagdroid smartphone (~200$ chink phone lmao) than my PC, and it's from 2017 so it has some basic proprietary "enhancements", probably sends more power if i had to guess.I listen to 320kbps or even flac on my phone so i think i should be fine

And a decent DAC + memory card costs a decent amount on a second thought, and from the looks of it, they look like tweaked phones with better hardware(connectors,capacitors,batter i guess) for headphones, though again i'm not disregarding in any way their use.
Thanks for the insight, i will probably get one when i will shit money or something

it's just my personal experience because i had a headphone amp/dac combo on my desk for 1100€ and the difference ultimately does the headphones so you're definately always better of spending on the headphones/speaker first

well hopefully i will enjoy the "big upgrade" (for me at least)
Though one thing i chose the f1h is the ergonomics, i figured by looks i wouldn't impale myself while sleeping with them,compared to something like sennheiser momentum
Again, thanks for the info

true

personally i prefer to listen to podcasts via speakers in my sleep

true

I'm still using my old-ass Logitech Z-2300 speakers. Any monitors out there for up to $300 that would be a good upgrade?

I could fall asleep to Tequila Sunrise and Hotel California... the live versions from hell freezes over, of course. And good morning, /ag/. Day 21 of waiting for new speakies... I think I'll start the day off listening to hell freezes over, in fact.

Attached: 49631401_p0.jpg (1131x800, 931K)

iloud micro monitor and lsr 305 are definately my top picks at the moment.

nice focal make good stuff

na everyone feels like that for there speakers i honestly think that my cambridge audio s30 sound better yes ive heard both

hate how autistic anime girls with hifi are

whats your analog setup like?

what size? i have the alpha 50 on my desk

>21 days have passed since you made your order
I thought that was like last week?

Attached: 1493061705885.png (646x595, 280K)

No, I ordered July 4th.

Attached: inonlytenyearsitwillbe2050.jpg (550x366, 60K)

Hi

Attached: 20180717_202215.jpg (5312x2988, 3.84M)

Audiophiles:

>I want neutral sound
>but I listen vinyls over a good digital support cause the sound is more 'warmer'

>I want neutral sound
>but I prefer tube amps over solid state amps cause the sound is more 'warmer'

>I want neutral sound
>but my $2K speakers can't go below 35 Hz cause bass are for 'non white'

>I want neutral sound
>but I love vintage system over new system because before the sound on it was always 'better'

There's no one in these threads like that. Go home.

exactly the 50's which are almost the size of the lsr 305 while sounding hugely different

>i want neutral sound
but i love nigger bass music
>i want neutral sound
room treatment? better get a bigger sub
>i want neutral sound
i place my speaker without dampening on a easily vibrating surface

different how? alpha 65 measurements are not so good compared to lsr

the sound presentation is absolutely different. have both speakers at the moment

the lsr 305 sound more live and exciting. with nice dynamics on every song

the focal sounds focused with less emphasize on lowend, undistorted, analytical like a monitor and should and easily shows flaws where as the lsr 305 did not as much. simply put neutral and less colored.

also the music on the lsr 305 sounds like a stereo enhancement, i heard many speakers and not many did increase the soundstage in nearfield this hugely so it's a question of realistic studio sound or not i guess

i prefer the 305 musically though by alot. I'd really consider the 305 more on the musical site. i'm actually selling both because i want something smaller again

currently deciding if i should try a genelec or get an iloud micro monitor again because i already tried it and was blown away by the amount of dynamics for such a tiny device.

there is not much to choose from in this formfactor

Attached: 20180704_165423.jpg (1613x1210, 754K)

>i'm actually selling both because i want something smaller again
I hope you are going to use them with a sub

the iloud's don't need a sub lol they have a magic dsp which makes you think you have a sub under the desk

Why would you want something smaller than what you have? That is already pretty small...

dunno, i just like my devices like my girls, small and petite

nice gimmick, would like to have one

I wanna rent SVS SB-1000 for test and need some speakers for them. Recommend something max 1000 usd with amp 25m2 room. Im from europe.

I like my girls that way too! STICC is best.

I think for home listening there isn't much sense in giant equipment. It gets so cumbersome and there is no need for the output.

Have you looked at the Ascend Sierras or the upcoming Ascend Lunas?

You can rent them? Most people here just buy it and then return it (free shipping) if they don't like it, but not sure how that works in Europe.

true. and that's where the iloud micro monitor impress me

they are hella lightweight, sleek to the bone and impress where ever you put them.

SVS let you rent it for 1 month + i can buy everything here from internet and return it in 14 days.

i'm from EU :(

Harbeth P3ESR

Attached: IMG_3121.jpg (450x649, 96K)

They don't ship internationally?

i don't even know if its gonna be worth it so i rather not want to deal with possible additional taxes and return policies

A book on acoustic treatment and related theory. Perhaps a little advanced for most readers here.

mega.nz/
#!qZljESyI!SzHYbZBK37TZLLXbiP
Y17wSr5SMoQQcD5b81v8yhU-s

stop triggering me with those memebeths

Attached: 20180725_192911.jpg (1210x1613, 607K)

I've blocked up that wall so I have a place for my home theater. Now just need to decide what to do about wiring.

I'm a bit stuck with what to do about my equipment. I can either put some furniture under the TV and put equipment in there, or I can put my rack to the right, basically along that window. I have a 5" Middle Atlantic rack. It's not beautiful but not terrible either.

I keep going back and forth about if I should go all out and install everything or just do a small system and have it look more acceptable. I can make the big system look okay, but, not as good as something more modest.

I'm a loner so don't really have much guests, so, I hate to make something not ideal. I'm a bit mixed.

Attached: 2018-07-24 18.39.12.jpg (4032x3024, 2.2M)

Looking at Kef R700s, anyone know of any better floorstanders at a similar price? With measurements.

Here is what I'm thinking for wiring.

Those speakers on angles up top are Atmos height speakers.

Attached: 2018-07-25 13.57.03.jpg (4032x3024, 1.83M)

Then I need to run electrical, conduit for 2x hdmi cables and cat6e cables.

Attached: 2018-07-25 13.57.26.jpg (4032x3024, 1.62M)

..or do I just say "fuck it" and do 5.1 with a small receiver, use smaller subs, and not make such a mess.

I'm mixed. I love watching movies...

What's the internet wisdom regarding vinyl players?
My dad has one but it doesn't work anymore and it would be quite expensive to get serviced. I'd like to get a new one eventually. Teach me vinyl player autism.