What's the best calculator for Linux?

What's the best calculator for Linux?

Attached: 1509916952941.jpg (1000x875, 119K)

REPL for your favorite language.

kde's calculator

Python

Doesn't work with numpad numbers

Linux is a kernel.

emacs

Emacs is the best OS software suite. It's too bad all it's missing is a good text editor.

This.
Alternatively, speedcrunch

Absolute best, available in snaps

Attached: Screenshot 2018-07-25 11:07:33.png (3840x2160, 675K)

bc

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1532481691712.jpg (1600x1200, 335K)

This but bc -l

I don't use the calculator much but Python hasn't caused me problems yet. Much better than fucking around with expr and having to escape operators.

Galculator

Attached: 1532472544576.jpg (1279x1543, 362K)

:DDDD galgulador boobis

Just use terminal or if you need a GUI use MATE Calculator or Galculator.

I mean really... just look up what each calculator looks like and choose which one you like the best. It's not like they do anything different from one another (besides their GUI).

/usr/bin/python3

Pirated version of Mathematica. The only proprietary software I respect.

Is there an terminal based calculator?
Nice.

Attached: 7c118c32c28fd623eb1cfcd0e1de3c10eb3de405c43e1d9bfe25c68cb7bd87d4.jpg (817x1153, 779K)

MATLAB
It can even be used from the command line.

This.

Proprietary piece of shit. If you're looking for a calculator with MATLAB-like syntax, just use GNU Octave instead.

Proprietary or not, it is still the best tool to do calculations, don't get me wrong, octave isn't bad, just not as good.

As a calculator, Octave is exactly the same. It's only when you try using it as a programming language, especially for GUI programs, that MATLAB gains the upper hand; but if you decide to make a GUI in MATLAB, all hope is lost anyway. Octave is superior.

It doesn't quitehve the same capabilities when it comes to things like symbolic computation or DEs.
It also has a worse documentation.

>needing documentation
Pleb alert.
>symbolic computation
>DEs
That's advanced functionality, not something you'd expect a calculator to be able to do.

See

>Pleb alert.
Lol.
Without looking it up tell me how do I calculate the 10 smallest singular values of a matrix using an iterative solver?
And do you think you could answer that question if you didn't know the answer already.

>That's advanced functionality, not something you'd expect a calculator to be able to do.
If your calculator can't solve DEs it is trash.

Bc, it is probably preinstalled on your system

Alternative
Calc in emacs is a beast

Oh well, I already have it installed.

dc

bc is everything you neee

clac

Fuggin galgulador :fugg :DDDDD

bc

For CLI I would say wcalc.

mathomatic

NaSC
Or python

orpie

you sound the kind of guy that says gimp is a proper alternative to photoshop because all you do with it is image macros

GIMP is an image manipulation program. It does that fine and is free, unlike P(o)S. But that is beside the point. Recommending MATLAB over Octave as a calculator is silly because in regards to normal calculator functionality, they are functionally the same while Octave has the advantage of being free software. MATLAB only has the functional advantage in more advanced features; those features are not part of what is considered calculator functionality and are thus irrelevant to the original question.

>begins with Q
>Not written in QT

Speedcrunch
It can do variables, equation solving, etc

you sound like a retard.

Yes it does lol

>doesn't know the difference between a calculator and a CAS
>can't solve DEs by hand
Who's the real retard here?

N O N P A R E I L
O
N
P
A
R
E
I
L

>inb4 its an emulator

+1 for gnu octave. It can solve complex equatuon when you are used to it

thats not true. i edit text files with emacs and its pretty good at it

Attached: aoba.jpg (300x450, 20K)

>bc
This

>just use GNU Octave instead.

lol no thanks

Upgrade to dc.

$ du -h /bin/bc /bin/dc
84K /bin/bc
48K /bin/dc

Attached: c088afc72c818d64a45f20e247c522d4.gif (738x718, 1.17M)

You're this guy who also uses vi instead of vim because it's 5 megs lighter? Fuck off to your alpine linux install

That's not me. dc also has some nice features like base conversion, so you can calculate in hexadecimal.

Attached: shimako bucket.png (320x480, 83K)

You're mom is a kernel

>Can't do decimal powers using X^Y
>But can do them through natural powers and logs trickery
Why?

Seems like a pretty good alternative if you like stacks and assembly.

Only people in this thread who don't deserve euthanasia.

term% du -h /bin/dc /bin/bc
100k /bin/dc
83k /bin/bc

Attached: calcpi.png (1024x768, 7K)