/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

My last one caught me sleeping edition.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are Green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: 2a90a9c35c436991.png (1280x720, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jrgp/linfo
github.com/CobayeGunther/ServerStatsBot
addictivetips.com/windows-tips/set-up-nfs-shares-on-openmediavault/
amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-LGA2011-Platforms-NH-U9DXi4/dp/B00E1JGFA0
raidmachine.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Will OP ever be not a faggot?

Odroid C2:
>Router
>VPN
>DNS/DHCP
>Torrent daemon
>couchpotato/sickrage
>personal wiki
>mailserver
>fileserver
>SQL server

Raspberry Pi 2:
>Steam bot
>plane tracking with rtl-sdr
>backup DNS/DHCP

Feels gudman

Attached: Odroid c2.jpg (761x495, 127K)

I need a tool for server stats monitoring (cpu load, temp etc).
Someone had suggested github.com/jrgp/linfo but I would to know other options.

you can get all the relevant information from /proc and /sys

Glad to know you're still here user.

Just lurking around and helping others out most of the time

>not personal XMPP server
Why oven live

I need something accessable via ssh-tunnel running on localhost

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

Don't tempt me.
Wait nevermind. Would have no one to talk to :(

hello sir
you are on Jow Forums this site will literally make you Jow ForumsAY

munin

You can try github.com/CobayeGunther/ServerStatsBot

Is it possible for VM's to have access to the host's hardware, such as the fans?

Basically I want to control the fan speeds from within a VM.

I don't think so.
Even the host OS doesn't have access to those. It's all managed by temperature sensors, hardware and the BIOS

For CCNA and MTA's (specifically networking sys admin and security) what are some good free resources? I took the system administrator one in 2013 but I want to retake it since I dont remember shit other than I need to know the basics of active directory DNS and some network types and terms does anyone have any tips? So far i can only think if the books but no real quizzes n shit

Any good recommendations for used servers that have at least SB or SB-E CPUs?

How is your FAQ update going?

>10gbe nics arrive after 1 week
>1 was DOA
>have to get a refund and now wait another week before i can get my glorious 10gbe speeds

god i hate this shit

How does the Odroid handle hard drives?
I want to replace this noisy, old piece of shit, but I don't want to give up my 4 HDD bays

Is an HDD dock/external enclosure a viable solution when using a SoC system?

Attached: IMG_20180613_205829~01.jpg (4246x2603, 2.24M)

4?
Why even live?

I cramped 18 in a Fractal XL and was not content with it and now got four SAS units each holding up to 12 drives.

4x8TB, brother

Hey all, are you having problems with Windows 10 seeing networked devices at all? I have a NAS server now that my Win 10 computer absolutely refuses to see or connect to. My mom's Win 7 laptop can connect and so can my Lubuntu laptop.... is Windows 10 just fucked up right now?

I have network discovery and everything turned on... I don't see any reason why it should not work besides that windows is bugged.

>four SAS units each holding up to 12 drives.
What exactly?

R720xd where recommended in previous threads.

What is the way to go for 10 Gbit/s home networking? I need a 16 port switch with VLAN support and some pci-e cards and possibly sfps?

Just use fibre.

>plane tracking
Always makes me chuckle.

Attached: 1516478224577.jpg (480x360, 26K)

netdata is pretty comfy

Attached: 1516491333915.png (3643x2002, 427K)

if you get a usb controlled hub like a aquaero, you can pass the device through to the VM for it to manage. if it's on the board then I dont think you can, or I dont know of a way anyway.

Look on ebay, the best server is a cheap one

are you just doing P2P with a DAC? Or do you have a switch?

P2P.
Only need the 10gbe for file storage.

You ever considered IB or FC if it's just for storage? Just as cheap but better speeds.

What are IB and FC?

Cool, what's a good USB fan controller that supports up 7 fans? Most seem to max at 5 or 6.

Infiniband or Fibre Channel, mainly used with storage. FC adapters are normally dirt cheap nw that a lot of people are going with FCoE.

I've got a few adapters i bought on aliexpress that i'm gonna play around with.

aquaero lt 5 usb, can pick em up on ebay for £40/50. i think it only has 4x4pins but your can daily chain 2 one the one pin no problem.

any one have any experience with Process Lasso on their server? Is it even worth it?

>aquaero lt 5 usb
Ok problem. Do the 4-pin fans plug into the back of this unit? If they do, I can't use it. I have a SC847 case so it wouldn't work.

I thought it be like the nzxt sentry lxe, which comes with a PCie card. You plug the fans into the PCie card, and then plug the fan controller into the Pcie card.

Attached: BB000NX_32565_800x800.jpg (800x800, 107K)

da fuck is that thing?

Fans>aquaero>onboard usb header

done

Didn't know freenas offered this service by default.
Neat.

Attached: screenshot.19.jpg (1715x984, 405K)

think it was 2 revisions ago they udded it, super comfy.

I'm absolutely fucking retarded and I can't figure out how to access any shares on my OMV server from my Lignux laptop. SMB works fine on my Windows machine, but I can't get either SMB or NFS to work on my Lignux machine and I honestly have no idea what to do. I've been trying to read guides, but none of them make any sense to me, and a lot of them are just telling me to do stuff without explaining why, so I have no way of knowing why the hell it's not just working.

I have a share folder setup for both NFS and SMB on OMV. That's about as far as I've gotten.

watch a video tutorial and stick at it, you'll get there eventually

>watch a video tutorial and stick at it
I wouldn't be here if I could find one that is at all helpful in any way. I keep getting shit like this: addictivetips.com/windows-tips/set-up-nfs-shares-on-openmediavault/

>Under “Client”, enter 192.168.1.0/24.
Why? Where did that address come from? Is my laptop expected to have this static IP? I don't have any static IPs. I assume this has to do with why I keep getting "access denied by server" when I try to run a mount command on the share from my laptop. So I try changing that IP to whatever my laptop's is. Changes nothing. Then the next article is just going on about editing fstab to get it to connect automatically at login, completely skipping over how to get a connection at all to begin with.

I also tried some SMB guide, which told me to backup a non-existent config file that is "blank by default" so I had to make one where it said, add a whole bunch of shit to it, then have it not work because it skips over explaining how to actually connect. They all get to connecting to it and just say "okay now just connect lol".

Nevermind, it just worked. No clue why. Thank you, magic power of venting in aggravated frustration on the internet so that it can work just in time to make you look like a jackass.

its a pcie fan hub that connects to an external fan controller

I dont know why that's a thing. Can you not just pull power from sata like every other powered fan hub. what external controller is it going to? also why's it got a battery?

into le trash

the full aquaero solution much better. just the software alone is GOAT.

ok /hsg/, I need some help. I got myself a xu4 and the cloudshell 2, but I am yet to get the two hdds for the slots. the problem is, I cant find any wd greens in my country. so I have the following options:
>6/8tb seagate archive (the 6tb one is selling for a damn good price)
>6/8/10tb wd surveillance (purple)
>6/8/10tb seagate barracuda and ironwolf.
which one of these will perform better? I don't care much for rw speeds, just durabillity.

aah, and also there's seagate skyhawk.

does aquaero software work on openbsd(freenas)?

> Can you not just pull power from sata like every other powered fan hub
no it has to pull power from the pcie or molex because server PSU's doesn't have sata power cables.

>what external controller is it going to?
pic-related

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

Seriously guys, am I a retard or is Windows 10 being a shit? I hope it's not just that Win 7 and Lubuntu use SMB v1.0 or some shit. I don't want my server to use SMB v1.0 either.

I have been using OMV and Ubuntu Server before but it had corrupted my files. This time, I installed Windows 10 Pro (the mobo already had the license) and proceed to install Plex, deluge, pyload, remote desktop and activated smb.

Currently, I am having issues with Deluge UI, mostly with connecting to it. The wbrsite loads but the default "daemon?" doesnt work.

Also, what would be a dropbox equivalent that used my hdd? Also, how hard is to set up a VPN?

Why? I was thinking about buying a ubiquity ES‑16‑XG because it also has 4 10GBASE-T ports.

How much would the server costs be for
hosting a game like agar.io or slither.io (200,000 unique visitors a day and close to 50,000 users playing at any given time? What server(s) should be used for something like that? How much would it cost?

So, any pro or con when buying a small office server regarding Dell vs. HP(E)?

Low noise is an absolute requirement.

I prefer supermicro, they generally have standard fan sizes and connector, HP have mongrel homemade shit. You can replace fans on supermicros with quiet ones and if you know what you're doing (i.e. read it on the internet) also the psu-fans, which are the loudest pos fans ever

If it's a pre-built Supermicro, the case will most likely be passively cooled. If it is, they'll need to replace their heatsink since quiet fans WILL NOT push enough air through them. I say this from experience. Replaced all my high static pressure fans with quiet fans and the temp alarms went off after 2 minutes.

Get this
amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-LGA2011-Platforms-NH-U9DXi4/dp/B00E1JGFA0

It's for Xeon CPU's which is what the SM case will have.(research though)

Depending on the case(SC846/SC847), you may be able to get away with just using 3x 120mm fans.

With a SAS Backplane, my HDD temps were:
Quiet fans = 40~45C
Stock fans set to 3k RPM = 30~35C

Anyone please?

I have an external connected to it. It works fine.
But if you're gonna buy one new, you might aswell get the Odroid HC2. Same power, but you can connect the HDD with sata so you won't be limited to USB2.0 speeds
>he doesn't track planes.

Attached: he doesn't track planes.png (776x438, 424K)

i mean..why?

I use my SDR to automatically fetch satellite pictures.
Tracking planes via it is boring, only interesting way to track planes is with actual radar.

Cause I like it.
Would love to do this, but I can't place the antenna outside.
Painting a plane with an actual radar will get you in deep shit real fucking quick. Or you need to do passive radar scanning

I've never made a private server for gaming before...
Is it possible to make one of stardew valley?

Attached: 1532547132552.jpg (540x765, 142K)

Yes but what's the reason for liking it? Do you feel some type of satisfaction knowing that all the flights reached their destination

Stardew valley multiplayer is p2p isnt it?

>Painting a plane with an actual radar will get you in deep shit real fucking quick.
People have used ISM bands to run weather radars. These will pick up planes too unless filtered out.

>Or you need to do passive radar scanning
That is an elegant solution and is plenty possible using RTL SDR. Using a DAB broadcasting station you are likely to also pick up F-35 which would make a lot of people very, very unhappy.

>programming is a gender now

Attached: 1530661118225.webm (600x336, 924K)

someone? :^)

WD Red 6/8tb 128mb or preferably 256mb. If you live in the US you can buy WD Easystores from Bestbuy and extract the drive.

WD
Seagate a shit

wd reda are exponentially more expensive and way out of my budget.

WD Purple then.

hmm, really? I've seen people report that ironwolf is quite reliable and that purples aren't that good for nas. I'll take some time to think about it, since the odroid will take more than a month to arrive.

Kut Tilburg

How does /hsg/ manage their disks? I'd like to go rack-mounted but finding a server chassis that can fit my 10+ disks isn't easy. I've been looking at NAS boxes and stuff, but I want the server to have direct S-ATA access to the disks, not having to go over some network protocol to talk to them.

Attached: a.jpg (640x459, 99K)

>not having to go over some network protocol to talk to them.
why not? with 10gbe nics, you'll be able to transfer files as if they were directly plugged into the mobo.

is there a easy way to make a dedicated 10gbit link between my desktop and server in another room?

rsv-l4500
$100 for a 15 bay version, $200 for one with hotswap trays

Attached: IMG_20180421_163253472_e.jpg (1560x1676, 340K)

I personally use refurb HGST ultrastars, mostly because I'm cheap and I can afford to trade some size for redundancy

Because I want to have direct software control over stuff like RAID/LVM and such.

If possible, I'd like to be able to have the server and drive bay box separate, but that does look reasonable. Now just to...
>Price: $104.99 + $296.77 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit
...find a way to get it around here.

where the fuck do you live

Attached: IMG_20180430_134511072.jpg (3120x4160, 3.56M)

Sweden.

in that case it might help to look on sites you don't have to spend a gorillion on import fees

Yeah, I just can't find any site at all that sells Rosewill chassis.

There's also the problem that getting redundant PSUs for ATX isn't entirely trivial, from what I've found.

>redundant PSU's
dude just buy a old 4u poweredge

I've been looking around for them, but can't seem to find any. Well, that aren't from the US and subject to the same problems as , that is.

do you really need redundant power supplies?
unless you're maxing the fuck out of one 24/7 and stalling the fan out you're not gonna have one die on you

>do you really need redundant power supplies?
Well, "need" is a strong word, but half the point of going rack-mounted would be to fit a UPS properly along with the rest of the equipment, and as I've found out, using a UPS without redundant power supplies is probably worse than not using a UPS at all.

Yes but it's expensive.

dude if you want all this you're gonna have to spend a fuckload anyways

I didn't expect it to be cheap

>dude if you want all this you're gonna have to spend a fuckload anyways
Not really. I already have the UPS, 1U/2U rack servers with redundant PSUs are a dime a dozen, and racks themselves are easy to find. The only problem I have is fitting the disks into the equation.

look for JBOD enclosures

Western society has become too obsessed with genitals.

>Western society has become too obsessed with genitals.
what does this have to do with hard drive autism?

An inline reply doesn't imply it's directed at the previous post. I'm making an observation on the opening image

There actually are such? NAS boxes are all that I've managed to find.

yes
raidmachine.com/ is one such maker of these
they're a little expensive but are exactly what you need

Hadn't searched for the specific term previously, but I'm getting quite a few results doing that. There are probably things that I could look into. Thanks user!

>work in charity shop
>people donate Sky HD boxes
>charity shop doesn't sell electrics (pat testing issues)
>rip them open to harvest the 500GB HDs inside
>have 6 HDs
>someone donates a PC (AMD+8GB RAM)
>stick the 6 drives in
>try freeNAS, don't work
>try nas4free, it works

Only 3TB but it was all for free and plex server works cool, love it.

Attached: angel.jpg (480x360, 7K)