Why is technology fun as a hobbby but not as a job?

Why is technology fun as a hobbby but not as a job?

Attached: file.png (1678x1022, 1007K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I feel the same way. When you're doing it as a hobby, it is like making stuff out of legos and using your brain to think up creative things.
When working, it is just soulless design patterns and frameworks

You both should make an effort into creating a career that's fun. When my buddies from university left after a bachelor's to go become soulless Java and C# codemonkeys for big dosh, I stayed and did a masters. When the people I did a masters with went off to become slightly higher paid codemonkeys, I stayed and did a PhD. Now I got a job with something I actually find interesting and I don't mind going in to work every day, while my buddies are surprised why I don't just leave at four to go home and eat dinner and watch TV the rest of the night like they do.

I swear ive see this exact post yesterday in another thread.

Me as well. I think it was /dpt/

Well, I wasn't lurking yesterday, so it wasn't me. But yeah, my path was quite a struggle and it obviously wasn't fun and games working my ass off while my friends had a surplus of money and enjoyed free time. But now they're all stuck with shitty jobs and I have a job I actually like.

That's why I love being the NEET son of richfag parents.
I can deal with technology daily, expanding and learning, having fun every second of it, while never having to worry about having to actually do it as a job.

Wait, I did maybe post something similar yesterday.

I did post this post, yeah. I forgot, lol.

I feel the same bro

I'd kill myself if I had to stay longer than what I need for a degree in uni.

academic research can be more soulless than code-monkeying

I'm not saying that you'd have to stay in uni, though. My real point is that anyone can transition to a job they want and like if they're willing to put in the work and effort to do so. Most people aren't, they're content with their 8-16 "boring" job and shitposting about it on online forums.

You have no idea how this economy functions, have you?

>the economy is the reason I don't have a relevant job I like
Classic.

Actually, I do. I'm just clever enough to also have perspective.

Pick up a book. Leave your cosy little world. It helps.

>CV.doc
Dream on. This is your life now.

My "cosy little world" involved hard work in order to get where I wanted. Nothing in life is free, especially not good jobs.

So it's egotism that explains your lack of empathy. Got it.

And nah, you don't understand what I mean by 'cosy little world'.

As I said, pick up a book.

>So it's egotism that explains your lack of empathy.
So giving advice and saying that it's absolutely possible to get a job that doesn't kill your soul if you work hard towards your goal is "egoistic" and lacking "empathy"?

Also, "pick up a book" isn't an argument.

"The true master of life is who can't see difference between work and rest."
I'm guess, I never gonna be like that

Isn't that true for most things?

>hobby
>choose when and with whom you have human interaction
>decide what projects to take, and how to do them

>job
>slave to either clients (as a freelancer) or boss and clients (as full time)
>have to use "best practices" developed years ago under a totally different paradigm for totally different purposes
>forced to interact with retards on a regular basis, some of who don't even understand how to use copy and paste in word
Gee, I wonder why hobbies are more fun than jobs

Nothing is fun as a job. Even fucking.

Everything is more fun as a hobby than as a job.
When it's a job, you feel pressure to get work done because your paycheck counts on it.
Sucks to be a startup dev when all the cool ideas for amateurs have been taken.

>Why is technology fun as a hobbby but not as a job?
>Hobby
You can choose who you share it with or talk about it with. Can put it down for a break whenever it gets frustrating.
>Job
You are forced to deal with people who don't understand it and sometimes forced to do things the stupid way. You have to continue doing it if the way you're doing it becomes unfun.

Claiming that that's possible for absolutely everyone is lacking empathy and perspective, yes.

You know he's right and you just keep digging the hole

Because Jow Forumsfags and actual business niggers suck the fun out of everything.
It's half the reason companies like Google seem so attractive, the outward appearance of fun in technology related work.

Why are phd holders often the most uneducated? My professors were just as delusional about how the world worked too.
Academia is a fucking disease . I would never send my kids to college. College is anti intellectual

Alright, kid.

Ever thought that maybe those who actually study this stuff understand it better than you do? Just a thought.

It's a good thing we're not discussing "this stuff" then. I God damn well hope he knows more about tech than i do

pic related, you are the second dot

Attached: 14-dunning-kruger.jpg (1110x816, 138K)

Not even close . Stop putting words in my mouth

Actually, the discussion has shifted somewhat onto perspectives on academia and society. So yeah, we are discussing it.

I'm not talking about tech.

Then he would be even with me in terms of credentials as assumption is he's a CS phd .

whatever you say kiddo

It certainly can be fun as a job, but you need to work your way to the point that you aren't:

a. A Java jockey writing shitty backend services/business logic for someone else's web app (usually overengineered, and with hundreds of unnecessary classes and other abstractions which make both new development and debugging a nightmare)
b. A plumber who just writes complicated configuration files to make a bunch of services work together in someone else's cloud environment and gets paged at 2AM when they don't work
c. A mobile/web developer whose entire job is defined by the current trends

The fact of the matter is that most people start out in these shit places when they try to make a career of tech - but they don't need to stay there.

Attached: 1504211950786.jpg (250x250, 57K)

He didn't study that then, he studied technology and what was said here is false .
Contrary to what
Claims I never asserted that PHDs don't know anything

Try going part time if you can.

For last few years I was working part time in software engineering and living frugal while having fun the rest of the time. However early this year I got an offer that seemed to be a lot of challenge, chance learn new stuff and monetary very rewarding but required full employment with overtime.

Now I've got much more money and new skills but feel miserable compared to last year. Even went alcoholic for some time and having to take a short leave to work it out.

I'm going to try and survive long enough to collect some money buffer and then negotiate for less hours or just leave for comfier job. I thing best arrangement would be working three days a week at a salary job and leave the two for side projects and recreation.

Attached: 1525985494656.jpg (495x600, 63K)

Tell me how you think the world works then.

>Claiming that that's possible for absolutely everyone is lacking empathy and perspective, yes.
I didn't say everyone, but I certainly think that it is possible for people who managed to make it through college and get a programming job to turn their careers into something they find interesting, seeing how they are well over half way there.

>everyone who disagrees with me about how stuff works is delusional

Attached: dunning-kreuger.png (1440x1209, 323K)

>the reddit-kruger effect
Please go back, or at least never post this again. Seriously. Seeing retards spouting this shit constantly is one of my top 3 most hated aspects of Reddit.

>implying it's a reddit meme
It's a real effect, you dolt.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Attached: nice_digits.jpg (610x399, 36K)

Phd's are literally the most educated by definition

It is real. The infuriating part is how frequently redditors insist on mentioning it when they disagree with someone to signal their advanced knowledge of psychology and "why other people are wrong."

Well, it doesn't get more "Mt. Stupid" than some random user telling a PhD that he is "delusional" and "uneducated" because the PhD said he did a PhD in order to get a job he would enjoy rather than becoming a soulless code monkey.

i should have been an auto mechanic

It took me longer than I'm willing to admit that "auto" in that context referred to "automobile" and not yourself.

He's gonna fix himself alright.

t. reddit/c*cknews

For me, it's time pressure.
When it's for a hobby
>I'll start and stop at my leisure!
When it's a job
>I cannot focus at all today but I really need this feature in by 5 o'clock otherwise it will look like I've done nothing all day, which I would have naturally and just worked on tonight instead of today

>My professors were just as delusional about how the world worked too.
Hyper-specialization making them unable to understand anything outside their PhD. Never trust a scientist speaking for something outside his field.

>"herp why are phds so uneducated?"
>"hurr fuck your intellectual delusion about real life, academics know nothing!!"
>"durr why are you anti-intellectual"
Is this post intended satirical?

Little stress with a hobby

Attached: 1527925006589.jpg (500x500, 21K)

>Why are phd holders often the most uneducated?
How can you be uneducated if you have a PhD? It's literally the highest education you can get... Wtf?

>Academia is a fucking disease .
>College is anti intellectual
No "academia is a fucking disease" is anti intellectual, do you even know what anti-intellectual means?

Attached: super-retardo.jpg (460x347, 32K)

t. Mt. Stupid

I will never work a IT job on purpose for that exact reason.
I enjoy my work and I enjoy my hobby.

Attached: fox-and-grapes.jpg (688x1434, 234K)

One of
1. You have to deal with other people who sabotage your efforts.
2. You have to do things under pressure.
3. You have to sabotage your own work in order to get things released by date.
4. Once you actually use stuff outside of toy examples you see how poorly everything you rely on is made.
5. Customers are often retarded.
6. Since technology often isn't the thing that creates value it is seen as a liability.
I found scientific work to be unfulfilling. What do you do now atm?

>What do you do now atm?
Senior software engineer at the company I collaborated with during my PhD.

Because you have a job to work not to have fun. You can like your job but still, you have to work

2nd dot is you, but the field is Dunning-Kruger effect.

Attached: 1532285104186.gif (600x338, 1.61M)

because of shitheads
who are only interested in getting cash & getting out

Everything loses its appeal when you HAVE to do it. For me, at least.

Exactly why I work in IT and not a shitty codemonkey job.
Would you rather:
>be a codemonkey who sits in front of a screen for 8 hours ruining his vision and his back
>forced to deal with silly business models like "Extreme" Programming that take all the fun out of coding
>in a highly elitist and autistic environment
OR
>be the "jack of all trades" IT ninja going all over the building, getting experience w/ many different OSes and kinds of hardware
>pushing updates over here, replacing a broken mouse over there, automating shit left & right, 8 different computers around you for maximum efficiency
>get some exercise walking around and lifting/pushing components

U alright nigga.
I study CS but I said I would never be a coder for anyone but myself. Staring into black letters on a white screen (or opposite if you like dark themes) for 8 hours a day, studying code some idiot wrote sounds like a nightmare. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, but if someone enjoys that, good for him. Not for me tho.

Also, I feel like I'm a "jack of all trades" but I've been feeling like it's the thing that's holding me back.
Maybe it's better to find something you love and just go balls deep.

Am I the only one who actually enjoy my job? Sure, there's aspects of it that aren't that enjoyable, but overall it's quite nice.

Tell me plz how your job is actually called

Tech job is fun as fuck.
Unless by tech you mean autistic desktop ricing or being a code monkey, you dumb fucks.

It's fun as a job as long as you're given freedom to tackle a problem how you want (within reason). Solving problems, tearing down difficult processes and improve existing services is rewarding for me.

I do not do anything work related at home which helps and only work 10am-5pm. At home I generally don't do anything I would at work as I want to relax.

I enjoy my job and like going to work, but there's no reason why I'd want to stay more than the max of 8 hours (if that). I regularly leave early and get in late because anything can wait until the next day. I probably stay only work 25-30 hours a week.

There's nothing wrong with being an inch deep in a bit of everything, but if that's all you are with no intimate knowledge of something relevant it can make it hard to advance career wise.

Having a solid foundation, good troubleshooting skills and the ability to quickly grasp of whatever you touch is good. Knowing a relevant technology extremely well and/or the fundamentals behind it is even better.

Yeah the ideal scenario is:
>you like doing something
>you're good at it
>you get paid for doing it
I still haven't found my "it". I know a little bit of everything, but havent gone balls deep into anything.

your still a fag

Are you new?

In due time you will, just keep looking.