Tfw took multiple classes on programming but just couldn't learn to program

>tfw took multiple classes on programming but just couldn't learn to program
>hate the tech industry
>but have most of cs degree done but knew my lack of programming ability will cause me huge delays soon
>switching to another degree will give same delays

I want to die. I hate that I was memed into stem. Mathematical proofs are fun for me but programming is such torture worse than pulling teeth . If it weren't for very patient and generous friends who basically let me copy I'd have straight failed the few programming classes I took(I'm that guy in your class ) kill me.

I can break down stuff into logic I like logic it's fun but I just can't code . I've literally come to a professor with a detailed list of what I want to do and he shrugged his shoulders and didn't understand what I even needed help on . I kept asking him how to make it and he just said the shit I wrote down back at me and when I told him this wasn't enough he said he couldn't help me anymore without giving the answer .

I fucking HATE HATE it when people say coding is analogous the mathematical proof, it's not. Proof is way way more intuitive

WHY DIDN'T I MAJOR IN SOMETHING ELSE WHY DID I FALL FOR THE COLLEGE MEME WHY DID I FALL FOR THE STEM MEME

Give me one reason not to kill myself

Attached: 1524440210486.jpg (660x680, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/x6LovY_DdEE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well you found out that programming isn't for you a bit too late. But you're like what, 21? You got many, many years ahead of you to go get another degree. If you like math, go for a math or physics degree.

Hard for me to give more than that, since you're likely older than me.

Attached: 816922551822959549512795copyImage.jpg (640x741, 58K)

Why in the name of absolute fuck would I ever go back to school? College is fucking garbage .

CS isn't about programming as such. You can go for a PhD in CS and delay getting a job another 5 years.

change you degree and stop whining you fucking brainlet

If you can't grasp programming you have absolutely no business being in CS

That sounds even more miserable. FUCK the education industry why would I ever support them like that

Because it's gonna be way too hard to get a job without a degree.

Try this. Finish your CS degree. Then go for a master's in a different field, such as physics or math.

College is garbage but you'll thank yourself later when you get a job and they notice your 'status' and 'education'

>FUCK the education industry
you were the dumbass who signed up for it and cheated your way through programming class

You fail to understand
I'm not going for a masters. It's a matter of principle . I thinks it's really unethical .I'm not qualified for any math or physics program nor do I want to pursue it. Jobs don't care and I'm not a fucking idiot who thinks you need $80k minimum to survive .
Oh shut up. You can't just people for falling for propaganda they've been fed all their lives at age 18 and making a decision they regret.

>Mathematical proofs are fun for me but programing is such torture
What's wrong with you user ?

well you still have time to transition into a field you're actually interested in

>good at math but not programming
literally everyone that flunks out of programming says this.

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (1000x972, 91K)

program in agda/idris and maybe you'll learn to enjoy it

Are you good with binary algebra? calculus? matlab?

Alright, alright. Then finish your degree, cheat through it if you have to, so that you HAVE a degree. And then go for whatever $40k job you want.

Sounds like bad advice, but this is what you want, this is what will work, and having a bachelor's is gonna make your resume stand out.

>I'm not a fucking idiot who thinks you need $80k minimum to survive

Okay, but what is your plan now?

I don't have a field I'm interested in. I don't have a personality because I was raised on Jow Forums. In some cases this is a virtue as I consume very little and could live the rest of my life on a closet sized living space . The downside is there's nothing I really want to do in life and after going through college I'm dumber and know myself even less than when I went in. Look at the shit I'm saying and how I'm saying it. I'm dumb as hell now I'd never be like this before I entered
I like algebra . Took abstract algebra courses for a year and really loved it. Loved discrete math and my set theory course and automata theory .
You see ? I'm just a whiny kid now. I use to read books for fun. Now I lay back on a floor and stare at a ceiling completely empty headed .

>muh math
go to the universe where machines actually understand symbols and you'll be a great programmer

Attached: WelcomeAridArmednylonshrimp-max-1mb.gif (194x146, 774K)

I'm the opposite... programming is easy peasy compared to math... I barely edged my calculus courses, on my late tests.

*SNAP*

it sounds like you like math so why don't you pursue math?

Because I hate academia

>I was raised on Jow Forums.
the 18+ rule is there for a reason

liking math and hating academia is a bad combination

Well one day you'll have to do something.

Take a screenshot of my advice:
And give it some thought when you're in a better mood, or when you're feeling the slightest bit of ambition.

Also, if you want actual advice instead of people telling you you're a retard, go to

>Loved discrete math
>hates programming
ask me how I know you're full of shit

Attached: 1493939916698.jpg (688x529, 44K)

where's the one where his legs are 10 feet long

Yeah...
Well, I'm not. I was one of a small group people to pass that class. It's required for CS kids and only a few besides me passed but all those other kids blow out in the programming ones I don't know how that work
Everything says I should enjoy and be able to program and yet I just don't

>OP comes to Jow Forums with a blogpost
>"aaaaahhh i hate everything what do i do"
>Jow Forums tells him what to do
>"omg noooooo u fucking idiot i hate that how can this be happening"
Yep. Found the problem

Did you read a different thread

>im such a special snowflake and all my problems are unique to me

just practice
download tutorials and follow them
think up some interesting projects and work on them

>don't enjoy something
>hurr just do it anyway
that said OP isn't really providing any solutions for himself, only problems

Yeah I know a lot of people like that. Hopefully he'll screenshot my advice and go through with it once he's more open to ideas to get himself out of his situation.

People are morons but it's always worth a try to help them out. You might actually get lucky and help a person who'd actually listen.

like this?

Attached: 1493939916698.jpg (688x529, 77K)

His problem is that his mummy didnt give him enough attention and now he wants it from Jow Forums

suck it up sweety. no one enjoys being a codemonkey.

If I could I would but I've demonstrated I not only can't but now choose not to. Even if I did manage to "learn" programming I hate the industry and modern technology so much I'd lack the motivation to actually work a job or make something in it and the process of programming itself would still be miserable . I think I'll take other anons advice and work a boring shitty generic non programming job for my boring shtty life
I never once refused

I'm trying to help myself but it seems like there's nothing I can do in order to live a good life I enjoy at this point so I'll just try to live a life .

no his problem is he took a degree in something he found out he wasn't interested in, it's a pretty normal and understandable problem to have

you only have one life to live
so if you're interested in math you should pursue math despite whatever risks and difficulties you have
you're not going to be on your death bed thinking how glad you are you took the safe easy route on something you didn't like

why don't you go make a few simple programs in your spare time to get over your absurd hatred fear or whatever of programming? You're talking about it like it literally raped you just because you didn't do well in the classes (which are by design at least somewhat exclusive)

But I hate school and there's no industry for nerdy guys who like to mess around with abstract concepts all day and reason about purely mathematical structures .

I really do just not like academia the whole way up. I think the modern system is corrupt and predatory to young adults and publish or perish culture is terrible as well.
We are going in circles now

there probably is, I wouldn't know what it is but it doesn't mean you shouldn't look

Hahaha little brainlet can't understand programming, what a fucking puss!

You sound like a huge faggot

Magnificent.

OP BTFO

Attached: 1523829305871.jpg (894x894, 166K)

>there's no industry for nerdy guys who like to mess around with abstract concepts all day and reason about purely mathematical structures

Math research

>We are going in circles now
good idea, go implement a ringbuffer in C

>couldn't learn
>hate the tech industry
it seems like you are confusing could not and want not

Honestly programming isn't even that hard. I learned c++ in 7th grade. Maybe just come up with an idea for a fun project you could program, and make it. That's largely how I learned to program. Understand the basic syntax, and if you don't know how to do something or think you're doing it inefficiently, google it and you will find tons of useful information, like techniques, libraries you could be using, etc.. It's best to just learn by doing.

Also I find it extremely useful to brainstorm and make flowcharts of the logic of a program before I write it.

>works on my machine

>I've literally come to a professor with a detailed list of what I want to do
>I kept asking him how to make it
>I told him this wasn't enough
insufferable faggot!

Just finish your CS Degree.
Get an entry level job in some other field than programming.
I do network and I can barely put some scripts together.
Sysadmin , database admin , backups . Heck the degree could be your foot in the door to be a customer representative.
Or try getting a PM certification - lots of math in that and good pay.

Sounds like you belong in IT with the other brainlets.

I dont get it

DBA should know how to do performance tuning on queries, right? Speed up those slow queries I wrote.

"works on my machine" is a fallacy where you dismiss the difficulty someone is having because you don't personally have that difficulty

Wew, checked.

As for OP, programming is basically memorising functions. If you get the logic you are good, don't worry!

But programming isn't difficult at all. OP assumes to not be an idiot, so he should be able to code.

>can do math proofs but not program

I'm the exact opposite. Makes interviews painful.

>But programming isn't difficult at all
depends on the person, obviously

Sure, if you are unable to learn to program, you are an idiot. But I don't think OP is an idiot, therefore he is able to learn to code.

>Sure, if you are unable to learn to program, you are an idiot.
even some people with high IQs aren't predisposed to being able to program

No, thats nonsense. Programming is just syntax and logic.

studied verifiable truth actually

I'm too dumb for A+:(

Really isn't. I know math professors who just can't grasp programming and it's not for lack of trying

Hahahaha

off yourself

There is no way this is true. The idea of functions in mathematics strongly correlates with functions in programming. They'd only have to be able to use logic and remember syntax. I doubt they've given it enough time. Things don't happen over night guys, grow the fuck up.

Not OP; I admire the encouragement, but I don't think programming is "like memorizing functions." Programming is memorizing a language to express data structures and algorithms (or so I think).

Understanding > Memorizing

Once you get one language down and the algorithms, data structures, and thinking you can translate that into any language you'd like. Most high-level languages are similar. I.e. Java and C#

>there's nothing I can do in order to live a good life I enjoy

Yea, at this point it's almost worth considering why you even go on living. Maybe consider the possibility that you're too young to know what a good life is, or maybe consider the fact that there are lots of people who aren't programmers who live perfectly good lives, even after taking on a bunch of debt doing something they didn't love. Or you could just wallow away in self pity, not my call.

>I'm trying to help myself but it seems like there's nothing I can do in order to live a good life I enjoy at this point so I'll just try to live a life .
Part of growing up is realising just that.

>The idea of functions in mathematics strongly correlates with functions in programming.
Fuck no. How could you even say that? Functions in imperative programming are a completely different thing. Functional programming, on the other hand...

You sound like a nervous wreck with a mental block. Or are you seriously unable to implement trivial high school shit like sorting algorithms?

I dont know a single math prof who doesnt at least know some Matlab, you're talking out your ass.

What programming langauges are they teaching? Maybe these just disregard static analysis.

you know what? you're right
just give up now and kill yourself. your life has absolutely no meaning.

>there's no industry for nerdy guys who like to mess around with abstract concepts all day and reason about purely mathematical structures .
that's literally what academia is you faggot
delete this thread every single one of your posts is beyond abominable

t. phd mathematician

you gave up on time user i am 30 and basically kept trying cuz my mom had mental powers and manipulated me into getting the college degree meme. I could have done something I liked or gone a different path but now I see no point.

Was a neet till 30, with the only exeption of "trying" to get a degree in CS.

Now I don't even have a licence and depend on them to drive me to work and take me back home.

I tried an hero but of course it didn't work.

Saving up for my funeral so I am nott a bother to them.

Good luck OP

Attached: otter-dislikes-watermelon-but-cant-stop-eating-it.png (464x732, 157K)

>cs major
>cant into programming
yeah, what else is new

based

>drop out
>relax at home, do some self-study if you feel like it
>try not to develop a video game addiction (maybe don't play any video games at all if possible)
>explore your passions, try new things, find something that interests you and makes you happy

based 300k starting any job I want poster

@OP
youtu.be/x6LovY_DdEE

>math
checking properties of abstract models
>programming
systems of variables, calculation and matching
heck math is being the guy who writes the base code of working shit, it is harder than using the code already written for multiple inputs. probably he's just being autistic about not liking constant numbers, buhh x+3y=f(h) is too stupid for me to write down in kode I need complex shit like abstract algebra and topology. Like fuck off if you don't like the math is actually used for working, you just explicitly say where to write the result and how to do the operation with characters others than the one you write in a whiteboard

Do you know how retarded you can be and still get a job doing front end webdev shit?

Just be a front end webdev.

>cheats tests

>wtf i couldn't learn this thing guys! What do i do!?

What about Haskell?

Academia is for scum, no thanks.
Well, I do. Funny how that works huh. You didn't say anything
I don't know any htmlcss or jvaacriot

>OP whines on how he cant make it in college
>refuses to take responsibility and finish his degree or move to a new major
>begins the "self taught" meme
>has thousands in debt and has no degree to show for it
Jesus Christ...

god fuck off I thought I was a whinny bitch when asking for help but at least I have option. KYS faggot, not even forcing you to do something will help you since you are too fixed to being retarded

Why are you guys acting like I'm not taking advice? I already said what my plan was thanks to an anonymous here

Just do some other job you can get with a cs degree that doesn't involve programming like system admin or some other IT thing.

Why don't you try programming in Coq. OP?

Lets all love Coq together!

Attached: cocks.png (1306x494, 460K)

>Functions in imperative programming are a completely different thing.
t. drooling retard who doesn't know the first thing about mathematics or the theory of computation

the point is you literally dont know what the fuck you're talking about idiot.

as this guys said, and im saying too as a phd faggot in data science.
all we do is fuck around hypotheticals and waste time and shitpost all day.

we only do work when its time for project updates or semester work or if our professors ask for some advice. yes, you have to put in some work obviously but as a whole it's fucking around with theories and reading other people's works.
looking at how you can change it or incorporate into other things.

stop hating academia for bull shit reasons which you have been taught by hipster liberals who couldn't make it.

obviously academia is not perfect but masters and phd is just fucking around with abstract shit until it solidifies.

Attached: [Ohys-Raws] 09. Welcome To A Summer Day! (00:18:15.009) 0003.png (1024x576, 611K)

Not true desu
The theoretical stuff requires literally 0 programming. You could design a communication protocol without writing even a line of pseudocode.

damn bro, are you me? i just finnished my degree in december and it fucking brought me down, like your OP post describes me, i personally liked databases and shit like that so im right now going towards that.
i too was pressured into it and at like 3/4 of the way i was feeling so down, somehow got through and finished but it fucked me mentally