Do computer repair businesses make any money these days? Me and a friend are considering it

Do computer repair businesses make any money these days? Me and a friend are considering it.

Attached: wallhaven-349449.png (1920x1080, 1.06M)

No

pcs are cheap as fuck these days. maybe you'll make a few bucks with the elderly's shitty dell and phone screens but that's it

No because it's really low hanging fruit. Troubleshooting hardware problems is generally among the first things computer-savvy people learn. Because of this when most people have hardware problems they ask that one nerdy friend they have and chances are he'll be the one to fix it.

Well shit. I just wanna start some sort of business without working under somebody. I hate the feeling of wagie life.

Although having said that, Web development is *just* difficult enough to filter out complete retards but not so easy that you can't make a decent amount of money with it. If you're looking for easy computer-related work I'd start there

It's illegal to get your computer repaired at a non-apple certified repair center.

If the area you're considering setting up shop has an older population you'll have a good customer base.
However, be ready to deal with headsplitting issues, it's not gonna be the fun puzzles to figure out - just Janet called pajeet and he remoted in. Then when she didn't give him her credit card he set a registry hive password.
Or Bertha forgot her Yahoo password so now her email doesn't work

what the fuck are you on about

I'm reporting you and your friends to Apple for planning to illegally repair computers.

Attached: criminalscum.png (750x1334, 10K)

>repairing a droid screen requires me to ask apple for certification

is this a new meme

depends on where you live.
probably not on "first world countries"

i see computer repair shops all the time, supposedly they just launder money

Sure, depends on where you live

>Me and a friend are considering it.
Don't do it. Repairing/upgrading/virus cleaning computers for other people is not worth your time. If you want to make some extra money then get some shitty job like working fast food. You work for a few hours then you go home. That isn't true when you 'repair' computers for other people.

Years ago I had a friend who wanted to do what you want to do. He asked me if I wanted to join. I told him "no way". That side job was soul sucking. Once you touch someones computer then they start noticing how things seem different. "I don't remember it working like that". "Did you change this?". "I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing that before". And then what happens when you encounter an actual problem that requires troubleshooting or debugging the hardware?

It is not worth your time.

If you really want to repair computers then you and your friend should get the certs you need and get a job at a store/company. At least people won't have access to you after hours. Repairing the computers of other people is a terrible idea that lots of people seem to have. And people don't know how terrible it is until they wasted time trying to do it.

Don't touch other people computers. Better yet don't let other people know you are good with computers.

Good luck.

No because there is a thing called Geek Squad at Best Buy.

But is your friend successful?

Listen to this guy. Repairing shit is really just a way for people to accuse you of shit you aren't responsible for.

Good advice. My dad tried to do this as a full-time business once, but people are shit, the job is shit. It's not fun.

Unless you have a set of good customers (companies that is, not grannies and illiterates), you're fucked anyway since it's going to be hard to make a proper living.

that's any business who does customer service. customers are shit, who would have thought

Faggot wants things easily!

Yeah, go ahead and start repairing computers. It'll be fun until you encounter the type of customer who hands you a computer with a nest of spiders inside, a dead rat and about 30 lbs of dust. Then once you've gone through all the trouble of fixing and cleaning it out, that same customer returns with their now pristine computer and complains about the scratches that you didn't cause.

Not really, I just wanted to know if there's a lot of money. If it comes to it I'll live with my parents and work under their roof.

I'm and I had a weird career path from McDonalds wage-slave > prostitution (self managed) > software dev business. Honestly it's not objectively better or worse than be a wagie.
Pros:
+ I'm an egomaniac and get off on running my own show. People generally seem impressed when I say I run my own business, I guess because I'm still in my early 20s and my generation is somewhat retarded.
+ The money is great, especially B2B. Working with other business generally means higher demands but huge paychecks. The best was recently spending 2 days on an app for over 6K AUD.
+ It looks fucking great on a CV. When job descriptions say "go-getter" this is what they mean.
Cons:
- I'm either extremely anxious because I have no contracts to complete and therefore no income in the foreseeable future, or extremely anxious because of insane deadlines
- tech-illiterate clients have messed up expectations about what's feasible. For example "Okay, but now instead of the user interacting with it to take a photo, can it automatically take a photo when it detects when someone is trying to take a selfie?". When they pay you a shitload of money they expect the impossible.
- clients love to change their minds mid-project. Before a deployment expect to stay up until dawn implementing last-minute changes. This combined with unrealistic expectations is generally the main fist in my arse.
- You will frequently need to abruptly put your life on hold when you get offered a contract. Always take an offer if you can - you don't want to risk a client getting too friendly with competitors. Because of this I find myself working most weekends.
- You need to be a "people person". I fucking hate that term, but it boils down to this: Get your clients to like you. Rip your fucking heart out and put it in their hands. I know better software developers than myself, but they don't know how to talk to people.

>prostitution

Attached: index.jpg (193x259, 27K)

$300 per hour meant I could get fucked in the arse 2 hours a week and pour the rest of my time into a little software project of mine for over a year. Actually that project is what impressed the person who eventually came to me with my first software contract.

Absolutely degenerate. Kill yourself.

>don't do retail it's aids
>instead be the guy between someone and their food
??????

This.

Attached: jealous_wage_slave_detected.jpg (281x283, 11K)

NO. GOD NO DO NOT DO IT.
It will be the most painful, life draining, sad work you will ever do. Every client that comes in will have the stupidest problem aith expectations thst it's the simplest 5 minute fix, and you turn on their computer to a cryptolocker screen.
Or they forget their Facebook password or their wifi isn't working, or their printer isn't working, or some impossible to fix without going on site issue.

Go back to your containment board

>NO. GOD NO DO NOT DO IT.
>It will be the most painful, life draining, sad work you will ever do. Every client that comes in will have the stupidest problem aith expectations thst it's the simplest 5 minute fix, and you turn on their computer to a cryptolocker screen.
>Or they forget their Facebook password or their wifi isn't working, or their printer isn't working, or some impossible to fix without going on site issue.
Hmmm. Why does this sound like any job relating to helping a customer?

user, if you don't mind customers being retarded, then go for it. Millennials are good at handling that.

Attached: 1531102325106.gif (504x504, 765K)

>computer repair
Is it 1995 again?

plenty of successful repair shops

I work at a business that has B2B work as well as a repair shop that we operate out of, the shop doesn't make a lot of money but it pays rent and turns a profit. Plus it helps scout more business clients

OP here. I'm not necessarily looking for a huge money pot. Just something to keep me afloat and lead me into a healthy "normal" life. Wagie life hasn't done that for me in the last 7 years.

they changed that recently. after a whole bunch of lawsuits. now you can. at least for some apple hardware.

>prostitution (self managed)
>(self managed)
Are whores with pimps wagie wageslave cucks or something?

Attached: CP2077_Sun.png (330x319, 178K)

Sorry guys, I meant in the US.

Attached: cpucenter.jpg (604x452, 58K)

sounds great :^)

your only chance is if you're doing IT helpdesk. at least you're not at the mercy of whether customers show up.

>prostitution (self managed)
y-you still offering your... services?

Why would you take business advice from people who have no fucking idea?
Use google for 2 fucking seconds, call the managers of local repair shops, and then call Best Buy and ask if they're still in business, you absolute fucking retard.

Threads like these show the modern psyche: "I know everything, here's my shitty reasoning that has no experience or logic put into it." Half of these fucking posts read like they haven't used their own computer, let alone evaluated how the general populace uses computers.

Jesus fuck.

oh no!!!! someone said something wrong!!!! my feelings!!!!!! make the bad bad go away dad dad!!!!!

LOL
Please neck. Noone is jealous of someone selling their manhood and self worth for a couple hundred bucks.

Hey OP, can I run a Dialup ISP out of the back of your store?
The equipment is cheap now!

Was just curious on Jow Forums's opinion. I'm more than likely still gonna do it.

This isn't Jow Forums's opinion. Nothing in here is phrased as a fucking opinion.
All of this is a bunch of premade judgement passed down by retards that think God is fucking real.

This board is worse than dead.

ow the edge

host lan party's on friday nights.

Attached: shrek.jpg (550x550, 43K)

Basically yeah. Why would you give money to someone who provides nothing in return?
I don't have the time anymore
Any job requires some level of personal sacrifice. The main problem with our generation is the gross amount of self entitlement; no one is prepared to get their hands dirty but everyone is always complaining, and usually about useless social issues like gender identification, being pro/anti abortion and the whole fucking gay marriage debate. It's why western civilization is going down the shitter. We've all turned into a bunch of pussies who get too offended by anything to overcome it.

I dress up as any anime girl you want but sadly haven't had the time to do it lately.

Attached: x6y4484xr1py.jpg (597x1986, 601K)

>I don't have the time anymore
>he doesnt want to make $600 a week for 2 hours worth of work

>it's another "cute twink posting on Jow Forums" episode
siiiiiigh
*unzips*

Can you break out a multi-meter and find and replace faulty parts? This is what computer repair means.

don't forget soldering

The software work is worth more to me, mainly because I can go public with the experience and whoring around isn't a viable long-term career

This was implied by replace. Most of Jow Forums thinks fixing a computer means reformatting a hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

>Most of Jow Forums thinks fixing a computer means reformatting a hard drive and reinstalling Windows
that's what it is, practically

Case in point. Most people would flip their shit if you did this to their computer, because unlike Jow Forums, they actually use them for something other than video games.

>▶
just do it after work dumbass

Have the shop moonlight as a nerd bar

owo

most people use their computer for facebook and checking their emails

sure m8 you were such a good little whore you got pretty women'd.

>Most people
This is how I know you're a NEET

I work at a small computer repair shop in the biggest city in iowa. We're one of few shops that will fix about anything, and we do well. But just break/fix work wont pay the bills. We have service contracts with schools and businesses, and that's where the money is. Your eventual goal should be to get into managed services, if you want to make big money.

You don't know anything which will be a problem if you're running a computer repair business.

Hi guy. I'm an AU webdev. Probably going into wageslave mode instead of freelance. Couple places near me offer 65k starting for javascript monkey.

What do you develop in? How much do you make annually roughly?