Seagate in a nutshell (There's a fourth disk in there)

Seagate in a nutshell (There's a fourth disk in there)

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.05.23 am.png (1970x832, 236K)

I'm sorry user
I too lost a seagate drive, but at least I managed to save most of my data before it died completely

I try to warn people, but their marketing team is too great on Jow Forums.

I have zero issues with Seagate.
I ran a machine with raid 0 for 5 years and even with some bad sectors raid stood strong.
Can't say the same for wd, Dell used to have a taste to use wd in several optiplex and precision, I had to replace several of they because of failures. Wd green were the worse almost all failed within 3 years.

What the fuck am I looking at? Are you running a Seagate NAS? Why the fuck would you do that?
Regardless, you do have backups, right?

Running a backup on my RAID0 of 8 Seagate disks as I type this. They've each logged over 40,000 hours and are still going strong.

Attached: 81KKR6eBI9L._SX355_.jpg (355x290, 10K)

That WAS my backup. Sticking everything on a portable HDD while I wait for some new disks to arrive.

Attached: getimg.jpg (366x380, 18K)

Not what this guy did.

Attached: raid0.png (1362x665, 635K)

>RAID 0
>backup

Attached: 5b3ba1880d9fd7484beb61a49a31d461.png (190x200, 49K)

For hdd, it's only ever need Western Digital. One of my drives goes back to 1999. I bought the 2tb greens when they first launched and they're still going. The only wd that failed was the one I dropped. All others are fine.

haha it's funny because i really only have one copy right

It's funny because you're retarded

Here's my HDD failure stats by brand
>Seagate - 5/6 failed
Two of those failed within 48 hours of each other.
>WD - 1/5 failed
>Hitachi - 1/2 failed
In conclusion, I'm never touching another Seagate drive unless my intention is to sabotage the system in question.

Attached: absolutelydisgusting.jpg (1397x1048, 750K)

>I have zero issues with Seagate.
>I ran a machine with raid 0 for 5 years and even with some bad sectors raid stood strong.
Post-2011? Because that's when they went to shit. Hard drives in general went to shit after the Thai floods. WD CHINKED their factories after that, and Seagate just cheaped out since SSDs are the future anyway.

hopefully not other seagate disks, right user?

>buddy is a storage hardware engineer
>get a free unused 10TB seagate HDD
>don't feel safe storing anything critical on it and it fails on boot 1/3 of the time

cool!

Attached: office.gif (500x384, 478K)

Nah, Seagate went to shit even earlier than that. I just checked, I bought three of these drives
>Seagate Barracuda LowPower 1.5TB 5900RPM
in late 2009, and they all died within two and a half years.

>2018
>buying anything but Toshiba drives
For some reason toshiba still has an HDD division when every other company sold out or switched to SSD's and they make the most consistent drives compared to WD/seagate hit or miss shit.

> Not buying Hitachi HDDs
Yeah, they're noisy, but they're also the most reliable HDDs I've ever used.
I still have a 1TB drive going strong after 7 years of heavy use.

Those are old drives, and three failing together points to some environmental problem. That model isn't known for issues. It's the 1.5TBs that were bad.

HGST's also a great choice.

every 1.5tb drive, from all venders, had stupidly high failure rates, some close to 50%

Have had a 2tb seagate for 5 years, what are you guys doing wrong

honestly everyone's drives all have similar fail rates, they either die in 3 months or they last 5 years + and anything else is an exception.

I would lump shitty shipping conditions in with drive failures more than companies themselves as they have to account for the asshole who throws the package, caving in 1/4th of it into the truck

>my sample size of one proves that Seagate drives are perfectly fine

I never said that, I was just referring to everyone saying "never buy a seagate drive they fail constantly all the time so bad" and I've never had an issue with any of my seagate drives over the years.

That's a nice anecdote but it doesn't really mean anything

was there a reason for that?

You should stop buying Hitachi too, since yours have had a 50% failure rate.

My pc has two Seagate hard drives, a 1 TB one that is my c drive and that I've been using without any issues for 3 years and another 2TB one that I've had since 2017 that also hasn't given me issues. Is the failing drive meme applicable to only their older ones or did I just happen to be lucky?

Attached: 1532402526593.jpg (728x960, 58K)

t. WD shill

>honestly everyone's drives all have similar fail rates
Why do shills always do this? At least the other guy had an anecdote, all you had was some stats you pulled out of your ass. Kill yourself honestly

have no clue, but looking at every single failure chart every single company has a massive fuck off blip with 1.5 tb sizes, some not as much, but none were less then 15%

I think wd was the worst but not by a whole lot while hitachi was the best, it was still something like 10 times worse then any other one of their drives.

the only correct answer. if you're not a retard you'll get insurance for your drive for the period of first few months.

seagate or not raid0 is a really really bad idea

Meh, I personally get drives about a year in advance of their heavy use period, so I mirror a drive for a few months, I use it exclusively for a few more, then to the final backup and it's now a main drive for its purpose. this allows for a rolling back up for general failure.

interesting. might look into it.

Attached: 1526923170141.gif (500x281, 578K)

Its going to be a bit hard to find the charts from when they were general use, at some point the company's fixed what was wrong with 1.5, but that storage size was tainted beyond repair so the later charts show far lower failure rates then the earlier ones.

Imagine being this far in denial

/gee/ shills WD though

>senior year in highschool
>students are the sysadmins
>server is failing constantly
>just a helper one, so I reinstall it from time to time
>then some of the main servers start to fail, but we have raid1, np
>one day nearly every fuckin server dies, only router/gateway didn't
Guess which HDDs were we using Jow Forums, they were like 1-2y, moderate usage
Now Toshiba and WD, I haven't heard from anyone that something is failing.

So are Toshiba 2tb drives good? they are pretty cheap here and I need some storage. The model is HDWD120XZSTA

Attached: 5G3dbfS.png (473x597, 369K)

I have 3 dead Seagate HDDs, admittedly all more than 9 year old. My Hitachi deskstar from 2009 still works like a champ though.

3TB drives were (are? are they still being made?) notorious for dying too, also across all vendors. Not quite as bad as 1.5TB, but still a lot worse than all the other capacities.

My sample size of 1 (one) shows that 100% of Seagate drives are doomed to fail within 3 years.

Attached: 1501919578064.png (535x480, 7K)

>get an external 3TB Seagate disk as a gift
>it dies with all of my shit
>get ANOTHER 3TB Seagate disk as a gift a couple years later
>it also dies with all of my shit
>ancient 250GB WD drive with double the lifespan of both Seagate drives combined still working
FUCK. SEAGATE.

Attached: 1530115967248.png (1600x1551, 1.96M)

I have a 300gb seagate drive from like 2004, still works fine
also a 2tb from 2010 or so, works fine

>didn't buy Toshiba
Lel

There are millions of drives. Having a few that haven't failed yet doesn't mean shit.

Idk man, i dont see that many seagate drives fail. Plus they paid for my cinema tickets...

my 2tb hits 5 years old this december.

have a backup drive and you're fine.

this. ya'll are retards

>buy Seagate desktop drives
>put in RAID
>just werks

>buy Seagate NAS drives
>put in RAID
>one of them shits itself immediately

Attached: 1513522192255.png (548x407, 219K)

>Still using platters
>in UNIX time 1532596725

Get with the times, gramps.

Attached: wdgreenssd_heroimg.png.imgw.1000.1000.jpg (974x974, 67K)

I've litterally never had a seagate drive fail. Switched from a 2tb barracuda i used for 4 years to a 2tb+8gb SSHD firecuda and love it.

>RAID 0
>backup
wat
kek

my gaygate HDD failed
my two WD ones are going strong
both bought in 2007
JUST

How do you live with such limited amount of data?

>get seagate drive
>abuse it
>it dies
>repeat
>proceed to blame seagate for my autism

he's backing up the RAID to a tape which you can see in the picture
I guess basic reading comprehension is too much for nu/g/ ?

I have four of them in RAID10 and no problems
you just suck at computers

[2:0:0:0] disk ATA ST2000DM006-2DM1 CC26 /dev/sdc
[3:0:0:0] disk ATA ST2000DM006-2DM1 CC26 /dev/sdd
[6:0:0:0] disk ATA ST2000DM006-2DM1 CC26 /dev/sde
[7:0:0:0] disk ATA ST2000DM006-2DM1 CC26 /dev/sdf

buy the better ones

Hmm I wonder why it was for free...

>How do you live with such limited amount of data?
Once you get to 500 GB/1 TB you don't really need much more; if you need to store more stuff, just put it on the cloud.

Hmm.
What's a good and affordable cloud service for about 10 TB of data?

>streaming Blu-ray remuxes
I don't think my Internet connection could handle that

>insurance
If you snooze you lose.

beats buying a new drive unless you're really unlucky.

>using an HDD is now abuse
What's the point of having 3TB if I'm not going to use it? It's not like I gave it a lashing whenever it had to load something

Attached: 1531777431035.jpg (700x702, 41K)

crap, I was gifted 2 used 3TB WD blues that I was planning to use for backups (RAID 1) :/

I also have a 5TB Seagate that I bought for cheap with an enclosure, it's been working OK, but I haven't used it a lot

Built a NAS 5 years ago.
My little sample:
WD Red: 2 out of 8 broken within a year. Nothing after.
Seagate: 3 out of 6 in the first year. 1 died after 2. Replaced the last 2 and the others with 6 WD Purple, they run without failure since.
All 3 TB disks.

>just put it on the cloud.
The only thing more likely to fail than a Seagate drive.