Guys, is everything closed source? I'm talking hardware and firmware. Motherboards, GPU's, CPU's etc

Guys, is everything closed source? I'm talking hardware and firmware. Motherboards, GPU's, CPU's etc

I don't know anything about electrical engineering or computer engineering but why isn't it opensource and stuff? They are putting the botnet inside the hardware, right?

Attached: 1280px-Acer_E360_Socket_939_motherboard_by_Foxconn.svg.png (1280x940, 971K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Fs0hkdJzk8
puri.sm
spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/darpas-planning-a-major-remake-of-us-electronics-pay-attention
jpost.com/Business-and-Innovation/Tech/Intel-launches-next-gen-processors-developed-and-designed-in-Israel-477358
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>They are putting the botnet inside the hardware, right?
yes

>why isn't it opensource and stuff?
customers care more about fapping to clock speed and benchmarks then they do about security and freedom

Yes, it is. Literally everything has a proprietary os embedded in it, including the cpu itself (intel me/amd secure processor).
Same on phones, there are at least 4-5 OSes on Qualcomm with direct access to the Internet:
1. Linux Kernel / Android OS, running on main ARM CPU in "normal mode"
2. QSEE or Trustonic OS, running on main ARM CPU in "trusted execution environment" mode, in parallel with "normal mode"
3. OKL4 / REX Kernel + AMSS OS, running on the baseband CPU (modem)
4. SIM card processor, although it is very limited (typically 32k RAM) and acts only as a MITM for SMS's, not cellular data
5. The OS running on the Wi-Fi card

Mostly yes, but you can get open source hardware. The Talos II for example is an open source board with an open source processor

>customers care more about fapping to clock speed and benchmarks
Aren't those richfags or gaymers? Also i care about security and freedom too but those cunts don't. I just want everything to be open and shit

>Yes, it is. Literally everything has a proprietary os embedded in it
So, what can we do about it? Why can't someone start an opensource hardware company and sell opensource hardware??
Yeah but that isn't mainstream.

Shit is scary to think about

>Yeah but that isn't mainstream
And? Openness isn't really that big, most if not all open hardware is going to be rather niche

>So, what can we do about it? Why can't someone start an opensource hardware company and sell opensource hardware??
There's open source hardware but it's shit.
There's no demand that would justify the needed expenses to make something that isn't.

If you want to avoid the botnet get a computer with libreboot or a talos II system (a bit pricey)

to add, the baseband CPU is actually the "main" CPU on most devices and boots first. it also has DMA to the main memory which makes it rootier than root like ring -2 or some shit.

until home nano-fabrication exists no hardware will ever be truly "free" and "secure" by the definitions you put forward

all of your "open source" hardware you think makes you better off is still manufactured by multi-billion dollar megacorporations behind closed doors using technologies and methods you nor most other armchair security experts couldn't audit even if they let you inside to begin with

open-source hardware is the biggest misnomer of the decade

>nano-fabrication
Nanofabrication is the design and manufacture of devices with dimensions measured in nanometers. One nanometer is 10 -9 meter, or a millionth of a millimeter. Nanofabrication is of interest to computer engineers because it opens the door to super-high-density microprocessor s and memory chip s.

What the fuck is this shit, omg, looks so complicated.
Fuck that tranny shit mane

>Fuck that tranny shit mane
Don't bully the mentally ill, they have problems enough as it is.

just stop living your entire life on the internet and go outside, find some new hobbies that don't revolve around dumping dangerous information on eternally vulnerable networked computer systems

mane i got hobbies, i hang off cranes and sheit
youtube.com/watch?v=2Fs0hkdJzk8

But i wanna start an opensource hardware company desu. Even though it sounds impossible

>Fuck that tranny shit mane
That's not an argument. Get a Talos II then if you're not a poorfag

In 250 µM era it was a matter of disolving a chip layer by layer and looking in good microscope.

I've always wanted to do shit like this. The best I've done was climb and tp a water tower during homecoming

>i wanna start an opensource hardware company desu
this is quite unlikely seeing as how you "don't know anything about electrical engineering or computer engineering"

but anyway check out risc-v if you want to start learning

Well the source and schematics are available, just not to you, the average consumer. If a big company was to buy hardware or firmware from another company you bet your ass they will be requesting every piece of information on that board they possibly can that doesn't creep into IP.

it's not impossible to start a company that can wear the "open-source" label, it's just that the label is misleading because you will never have the level of absolute control that comes with the open-source software this hardware is trying to sound like it has

you're still downloading binaries from a big corporation that just says "I used this specification exactly, trust me(TM)" and for some reason morons here and elsewhere eat it up

puri.sm
everything is open source from motherboard to bios except intel ME shit

spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/darpas-planning-a-major-remake-of-us-electronics-pay-attention

>Well the source and schematics are available, just not to you, the average consumer.
Hmmm, so if they make it available, we don't need to worry about the botnet?
>it's just that the label is misleading because you will never have the level of absolute control
Some control is better than none?

>some
the only difference between your Talos II and any other PC is that you can download the documents GlobalFoundries claimed they used to build it and maybe some verilog to throw on an expensive FPGA

it's still hard silicon, you can't tweak it, fix bugs on it or control anything they don't want you to control, all you have is a nebulous guarantee that they used the same specifications online to implement the final product

>guys I am a fucking faggot feed my paranoia

woah bitch, watch your mouth. you kiss your mother with that mouth?

kek.
oh, but wait, there's more.

jpost.com/Business-and-Innovation/Tech/Intel-launches-next-gen-processors-developed-and-designed-in-Israel-477358

they control the money(debt). now they're coming for the tech.
and when 5G cell radio goes live, brother, it's gonna be bad.

Attached: 9846513513851.jpg (474x474, 52K)