Is it retarded to get a Macbook for the sole purpose of running Windows?

Is it retarded to get a Macbook for the sole purpose of running Windows?

Money is not an issue, I'd like to look a little trendy but I'd rather have compatibility between my desktop and laptop.

Thanks.

Attached: apple-macbook-12-inch-2017-01.jpg (770x433, 51K)

Yes, macOS us also so much better than Windows

Its ok, know people who do it they are hapoy

Get a Macbook Air or Pro, not the Macbook. It will throttle. Also likelier to fail and not get OOW support.

Yes, it is, speaking from experience from a client environment. It's a fucking huge "creative" company and they want to work with "macs" but the admin decided they need windows. So they are running it on the mac Hardware and it's a huge hassle

Well, if your sole prupose is running windows you should get the xaomi notebook. Macs are more expensive but they have the cool OS. if you dont care about the OS, you should go for the xaomi laptop

Anything in particular? I've heard battery life can be affected, as well as driver issues - though these posts/articles were from the early days of Bootcamp.

Sure, I'd rather use Linux but I'm really entrenched in Windows and I like everything how it is, shortcut-wise and whatnot - just trying to up my 'style' since I have money now.

Yes, there's nothing you can do on Windows that cannot be done quicker on MacOS.
You don't have to change your shortcuts at all, you can switch the modifier keys, I use a full sized windows mech keyboard at home and at work. Karabiner for all other shortcuts.

>spending money for no reason
Can somebody explain to me why would you just spend money on an overpriced computer you don't need just to look trendy? What is this?

Attached: 1455821253694.jpg (657x527, 40K)

Mental illness

Some of this community actually likes technology and spends money on it.

Since when is liking technology about buying shit for no reason?
Isn't it about using technology well, especially the one you already have?

normie life / status
don't denigrate something you're not part of or don't understand, thats COPE. if OP has money to throw away then why the fck not get a nice looking laptop

>buying apple just to look trendy not normie

also: not saying he shouldn't do it, just that it doesn't make any sense

Part of liking tech is actually using it but a big part of it is enjoying how much it advances on a yearly basis and buying it. It's okay to not understand, being a degenerate NEET frogposter doesn't give you many options.

Yes, that's extremely retarded. Of all the laptops out there that were specifically designed to run Windows, you choose the one that wasn't.

How has apple macbook advanced in any way in the last 10 years?
Oh I know, they are thinner and have a touchscreen below the monitor
>innovation

Attached: steve_jobs_by_rware-d3af4rz.jpg (487x740, 168K)

Try pic related, OP.

Attached: mxp2.jpg (3328x1698, 421K)

They update the hardware every year the same way other laptop manufacturers do you dumb faggot. I know you're memeing but getting 4TB into a single M2 drive is exciting af, imagine two of those in RAID running an OS. These things are hitting 2.5GB/s read and 2GB/s without RAID.

>update hardware
yeah, you mean the dual-core processor with slightly less power consumption? I don't get this meme.

also: how is the least upgradeable computer on the planet a good example of how you can upgrade an SSD, since you can't. You can upgrade that on any normal computer without buying a new computer every time. What is this meme?

All MBP skews are 6 core this year and you cannot upgrade a current computer to a 4TB NVMe drive because they do not fucking exist. You're also missing the point entirely, that user was asking why people spend money on new tech, people spend money on new tech because things like 4TB drives the size of a stick of gum come out. Nowhere did I mention upgrading tech, I was talking about buying new tech and now there's a 4TB option ready to buy on new machines.

>These things are hitting 2.5GB/s read and 2GB/s without RAID.
Toshiba SSDs .. bleh.

My Samsung 960 does 3.5r/2.1w ...

>My Samsung 960 does
Your 960 doesn't go up to 4TB. The 4TB drives are much faster than 2.5kr/2kw.

/thread

you'll lose
- 10hr+ of battery life
- backlight most likely will not work properly
- retina effect gone, resulting in useless awesome screen
- bash
- brew installs / package manager
- drag n drop to install / uninstall
- spectacle app / easy use of hotkeys around the whole system
- Spotlight / Alfred advantages

and more...don't believe to Jow Forums most of the times if you want to have success in life

Blacklight works.
>"retina effect"
Since when is it an effect? Stop coming up with buzzwords. Windows has display scaling, you can set it to 200%.

Windows 10 nowadays runs pretty fine on a Mac, OP, just install it with nearly your full SSD, then make Windows the boot drive, and just delete the macOS partition from Windows.

Not into a single M.2 drive. It's soldered onto the main board, and they removed the connector to be able to access it from a different computer if anything goes wrong.

Get a Razer. They're black windows Macs.

>Is it retarded to get a Macbook for the sole purpose of running Windows?
Yes
>I'd like to look a little trendy
It would work because macfags don't really care about anything but apple logo slapped on the device

> ignoring all the other points

oh btw it's completely different from pure naive scaling

>Yes. Retina is completely different from Windows scaling.

OSX/Retina starts with the "looks like" resolution (by default 2560x1440, but can be higher, such as 3200x1800, depending on what you select as the scaling). It tells all software that the screen is this big, so it all works. But it creates a video buffer exactly twice the size in both directions (5120x2880, or 6400x3600 in the examples above). It renders text twice the size at the higher resolution, without telling the application that it's done this. The application's measurements and inbuilt images are doubled and rendered on to the higher resolution buffer.

If the application is retina-aware, it is allowed to serve up double-resolution images, which are put into the buffer instead of the non-retina images.

Once complete, the final screen is scaled down to the screen's physical resolution (or just displayed, if 5120x2880 was the buffer resolution).

In this way, all existing software works exactly as before except that text is super-sharp. Retina-aware applications can use the maximum resolution possible. And (because it's always down-scaled) even at higher "looks like" resolutions the text remains sharp because it's down-scaled rather than being pixel doubled.

> inb4 muh buzzwords hurr durr toddler

>Is it retarded to get a Macbook
Yes. Keyboard is shit and hardware(due to the inadequate cooling) is shit.

Okay, then.

I'm speaking out of experience. I've been running Windows every now and then on my rMBP from 2013. Windows nowadays is pretty decent with hiDPI. Only a bunch of legacy programs just come up blurry (the same thing for macOS by the way, even though they updated more legacy things, it's mostly third party apps, same goes for Windows).

About your other points, since you so much want me to address them:
>10hr battery life
Wouldn't be able to reach that on macOS either unless you do literally nothing but watch locally stored movies. It's usually around 6-7 hours. With running Windows it should only impact it like 20% of that from my experience.
>bash
>brew/other package managers
Just fucking install the Linux Sublayer. And a Linux distro from the Microsoft Store. I doubt OP would even want this, since he obviously never touched macOS and just wants Windows.
>hotkeys
There's plenty of programs for Windows, more setting up to do, yeah, but also more customizable, especially since Apple is locking down AppleScript and other programs from touching anything with Mojave. See AutoHotKey.
>Spotlight/Alfred
There's decent alternatives nowadays, again, on the Microsoft Store.

I love macOS but you're just an ignorant Apple shill, fuck off.

Co'mon anons!

Attached: bait.jpg (326x179, 8K)

what is pic related?

He doesn't want a good product, he wants trendy shit
Huawei Matebook X (pro)
non-pro is fanless like "teh new macpuke", pro has fans

Yeah I had a look at the teardown, the part of the mainboard it's soldered to isn't larger than an nvme drive. Getting this Toshiba NAND onto m2 drives isn't a massive step.

>a 4TB NVMe drive because they do not fucking exist
Yeah you totally can't put 2x 2TB m.2 drives in a pc when modern motherboards have like 4 m.2 sockets.

I have two rMBP from 2015, one 13'' and one 15'', the 13 surely gets to 8-9 hours, while if you have an air that goes up easily to 10+

obviously your macbook that has 5 years old might not have the same battery life, considering the hw improvements that came afterwards.

Autohotkey is a macro creator so it's good that it gets sandboxed to not harm, while if you use BetterTouchTool or similar you will be able to configure pretty much whatever you want (thanks to underlying unix which makes everything changeable from bash)

> pointing out 'decent' alternatives without pulling an example
yeah though spotlight comes out of the box

I use windows for vydya (also a couple of years for c# dev) but work wise, for development, mac / linux is needed unless you're a monkey or really need visual studio - and the only laptop with these advantages is a macbook

btw I've used professionally linux for 5 years, switched to osx since 4 years ago

so guess who's full of bullshit? The 11+ years developer that uses PCs daily since 1996 or the random pajeet that uses windows on an old mac?

yeah let's compare pcs to notebooks, I'm smart

To be fair windows scaling is so shit you may also consider it nonexistent

It's isn't 2 drives in the new MBP's it's one, that's the exciting part. If they can cram 4TB of NAND onto such a small drive the possibility of 8TB+ OS dual drive is getting much closer.

It can totally be done in a laptop but there's no demand.

The problem is that the TouchPad is utter shit under windows.

Don't take my word for it, Apple has a 15 days now questions ask return policy.

Battery was replaced early this year. Stop assuming shit.

You seem to be confused about what I said about AutoHotKey. It's a Windows program. Apple locking down customizability is not a good thing. Especially if it's using programs and scripting tools, like AppleScript and Automator, meant to customize macOS.

>Spotlight is built in
You fucking said Alfred you faggot. Windows has a search function built in too, which isn't as good as Spotlight or Alfred. But you can install something better than it, just like you can install something better than Spotlight.

You're again assuming shit.

OP doesn't give a shit about macOS. He wants to know if it's a viable thing to buy a Mac and just run Windows on it. And it is you retard. Many people do this.

Ramping up so much nand into a single drive is just dumb. I don't really know how does apple handle it in their macbooks so the following may not affect them, but it's still bad for you because it's soldered and not recoverable.
1. The number of PCIe lanes used is limited. If you want to use the storage effectively it's better to use multiple connectors.
2. When a single chip fails the entire drive will fail.
3. It's super expensive yet you can't divide and reuse it for different purpose. If it was 2x 2TB drives you could reuse it in different machines.

It literally offers you zero advantage and you can't prove me wrong.

it's still a 2013 model faggot.

I was using Autohotkey in 2007, I think I know what it does.

I assume, but you say you can install "something" better, without showing the alternative (thus making assumptions while I have facts)

OP wants to know if it makes sense to install windows, on a laptop built for mac os

and it's stupid. Just like installing linux on a windows laptop. Main thing you'll lose is battery life, which will be cut in HALF if you're lucky - you know why people buys laptops? to not fucking be tied to an electric plug all the time

>It literally offers you zero advantage
You mean apart from the fact it can store 4TB.

I'm sure they've thought about saturating the PCIe lanes, for all you know it could be connected to multiple lanes. Until we see a proper teardown of the 4TB drives it's all speculation.

Sure thing! Get a Mac it's the best quality laptops out there!!!! Go ahead and get the most expensive one, you'll love it!

Fucking idiot sucker.

Attached: CprMbbaWIAA3BxF1.jpg (555x555, 130K)

No. Just like car, weapons, cooking, etc enthusiasts. tech enthusiasts like to modify and make and build things themselves.
They can buy a pizza, an expensive car, a MacBook but there's no fun in that

>for all you know it could be connected to multiple lanes
I think so too because it would be fucking retarded if they put those 4 TB on a single lane.
Like I said everyone can do it but there is no demand. Only applefags buy everything you throw at them.

unquestionably best build quality of any laptop on the market
it's just a fact. anyone who argues otherwise is as dumb as people who say macbooks aren't overpriced based on performance

As someone who has owned 4 Macbook Pros over the past 12 years and who is typing on a 2018 MBP right now: Yes. It is a dumb idea. Running Windows as your primary OS negates 95% of the benefits of Mac hardware. Just get one of the Microsoft laptops or something.

I think your idea of tech enthusiast is very different to mine.

A £800 7900X CPU is an enthusiast part that only enthusiasts will buy, sure you can delid it but it still goes in a fixed socket, it is designed to fit in one slot and not be edited in any way outside of a factory so does that mean a 7900X isn't an enthusiast part? Where do you draw the line?

Everyone can do it but only Apple have crammed that much storage into a laptop so far.

You know normies are not allowed here right?

Not really. It's glued together metal. With atrocious hardware design and internal parts quality. Breaks from simply looking at it the wrong way.

>Is it retarded to get a Macbook for the sole purpose of running Windows?
I don't think so.

Attached: 001.jpg (3280x2460, 1.18M)

>I don't think

It's retarded to use Windows.

XD

> literally nothing installed or quickly reachable
> firefox
> anime / weeb shit
> deranged / gay / trap lover almost guaranteed

whew you must be using your computer a lot, look at that amount of work! You definitely needed windows to cut your battery life

Shut up. Asshole
Youre trying to make apple users look like idiots faggot idiot

>what is start menu

For running Windows? Just buy a Thinkpad faggot.

anime website newfriend

its retarded to use windows, like these user's told you
use osx or any flavor of linux as theyre far better, but if you need it for work or any such case just dual boot

>Jow Forums - katana
>/a/ - anime
>Jow Forums - gijutsu
>/d/ - doujin
>/h/ - hentai

Attached: You_Seem_to_Have_Forgotten_Where_You_Are.jpg (1200x717, 370K)

pic related is also fanless

Attached: 2017_dell_xps_13_2-in-1_1.jpg (960x662, 305K)

yes. bootcamp (or drivers in general) are always buggy. On a MBP the touchbar will only show the F-keys. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working.
If you really want to waste the money, try mac OS and a windows vm for the windows "exclusive" stuff

>Macbook
>Windows

that's not how cherry picking works

get a surface book 2