Is there any point in buying a Mac? The OS is pretty solid and I've been emulating it...

Is there any point in buying a Mac? The OS is pretty solid and I've been emulating it, but this means no updates and it can be a bit sluggish. I seriously do not want to pay a huge amount of money for a mid tier laptop, but this seems to be the only way to get the OS without dual boot (hackintosh stuff), but dual boot means no updates again and no Mac store (I think).

Attached: dynamic_desktop_macOS_mojave-1024x609.png (1024x609, 179K)

>Is there any point in buying a Mac?
If you aren't in the situation that you absolutely MUST use a Mac for some Mac exclusive software, then no.

no hackintosh doesn't mean dual boot, it should run the same as on a Mac.
To answer your question: no

Another marketing thread

Mate this is not me marketing, I'm genuinely asking if I can just have a fresh ISO install to get the same amount of features as actually buying a Mac. I don't care about Apple at all and hate iPhones, I just like the simple Unix it uses.

Test if for yourself, I guess. I bought the 13 inch nTB 2017 half a year ago, and it's great. The moment I really started to like it was during an entire day in airports throughout the world. I was productive all the way through. The battery was enough, I use the terminal most of the time anyway. The screen is awesome and I actually like the keyboard(although I have a Pok3r keyboard at work). I liked my time with ArchLinux and i3 and all that shit, but I was really unproductive, all I did was rice to no end and maybe do some actual stuff. I will probably return back to GNU/Linux in 10 years, when the usability is ok and it works, but it's still way behind the Mac in terms of the Unix experience.

That's the thing about Apple stuff, you hate it until you try it.

My main problem is with the lack of updates. Even Safari needs to update via your Apple account (instead of just updating itself). Emulating it is great and a fresh install would work, but would I have to just keep reinstalling every time an update comes out?

the macbooks are really nice hardware OP
yes they're overpriced
yes they make you look like a trendy faggot
but the only people who are making fun of you are people who dont leave the house anyway so who cares

MacBooks? No. Mac desktops? Absolutely no.

>Is there any point in buying a Mac?
Of course. To put windows 7 on it like I have.

Attached: 001.jpg (3280x2460, 1.18M)

Stop posting this picture, faggot.
The worst possible combination.

Nice dubs brother

If you have the money, go for it. I love Macs. Honestly they are not as far ahead of WIndows PCs as they used to be, but they are still better unless you want to game.

A mac? No. Get a (nu if you care about power) thinkpad and make a hackintosh. If you can't make a hackintosh then you only have yourself to blame for being stupid.

Air or Pro? My laptop is a decent spec already so what benefit is there really of having a pro over air?

How do updates work with hackintosh?
I checked on one of the guide pages and it says to download an ISO from the official Apple site (which I presume I can't do since I don't have a Mac account) then to install, I'd have to just use a pirate ISO. This surely means I won't be able to update? Win 7 ISOs I've used in the past did update but I've no experience with Mac at all.

I hate the OS. I bought this shit for the look. I have a macbook pro and a macbook. I wanted a lightweight computer because I travel 5-6 day/week. It's just for browsing the interweb, watching pron and some excel/words.

> I just like the simple Unix it uses.
Then install FreeBSD. There is no reason to use MacOS unless you want to willingly trap yourself in Apple's walled garden.

Then just buy yourself a macbook air or mac mini depending on your use case. If you plan to do real work on it (rendering, video editing, etc), consider getting a model with more power. Keep in mind the price goes up real fast as you start to upgrade components.

Long time Mac OS user, I've been forced to use it because of cross platform mobile apps. Develop Ionic/React Native and Native apps. Makes no sense to use a machine that doesn't use Mac OS.

Apple hardware is underpowered garbage. Takes me 10 times longer to compile for example on a 1500$ mac than on a 800$ PC with a basic i5 setup.

Building a hackintosh is out of the question since I need constant updates for xcode and OS to compile apps.

I wish I could use linux again. Its just better. People who use MacOS and say it just werks dont do anything else than browse facebook or youtube.

As any OS it has his ups and downs. Shit breaks just as easily as on linux or windows. If you don't really need MacOS, you are not missing out on anything.

This is illegal. Enjoy prison.

Attached: criminalscum.png (750x1334, 10K)

I used to develop Ionic apps a few years ago. For whatever reason the company I worked for insisted on using C# for all backend work so of course since management felt pressure to make us all "full stack" devs, we had to use Macs to run the iOS simulator and then run windows in VMs in order to test the app/backend at the same time. Nothing kills your performance and battery life more than trying to run two bloated operating systems at once on an already underpowered mac pro.

Man, thats just horrible.

> How do updates work with hackintosh?

Updates work like a real Mac, the only difference is in every SO update you need to reinstall all kexts, it's not a problem you only do that once a year, Apple Store works, you can use your Apple account without problems. In my T430 wifi card doesn't work on macOS so I buy a USB adapter, now I have a almost perfect macbook.

And you can get all this from an ISO from a torrent site, not the official ISO?

who hurt you

Who told you the app store doesn't work on a Hackintosh? Us Hackintosh users get updates the same way real mac users get them...

based

macOS isn't installed via an ISO. You have to download a virtual machine of a macOS install, then run it, download the upgrade utility. Then you can continue with Unibeast to create the bootable USB. Use Multibeast to install the correct kexts.

>The OS is pretty solid
The OS is so shit even windows is better than it.

tldr MacOS is retarded.

Is there a point to buying anything? Some people just prefer Apple's ecosystem. I'm not an apple supporter, but I understand why people love the company. I wish they chose a person that could run the company better though. Tim Cook isn't doing it right ("muh dongle fetish" makes things terrible, especially in IT work...).

I never understood why this debate is always discussed. Why not just use what you prefer and shut the fuck up about it? You people don't discuss what type of socks you prefer, you people don't discuss which brand of celery taste best, so why complain about everyone's choice of hardware? Owning something doesn't make you better than others, it just means you bought some shit.

google Linux with good Unix environment by default. Since you don't need anything specific. But if you know you are gonna use the kind of stuff like Photoshop then just buy a used Mac that hasn't been dongled.

/thread