Best hardware for Windows 95 in 2018

I don't need to use the internet on a daily basis, I just need to do some word processing and play occasional solitaire, no other games, anything newer than Windows 95 is not much use to me, I do want to run this on a laptop though, I'd like to remain portable, are there options for doing this, I especially want good battery life?

Attached: 520844-4.jpg (1020x680, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

haiku-os.org/
worldofsolitaire.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Literally any laptop you find in the trash can run Windows 95

So why use Windows 95? You could literary buy an old iBook or something.

Are you seriously suggesting MAC?

Why specifically windows 95? I'd reccomned installing arch or something and cusommizing it to your needs if you need something so specific instead of using windows 95

Best hardware for Windows 95 in the year 2018 is hardware from 2003.

Get an IBM T20 or T30 or A20 or A30 series laptop

nope, nothing that is more recent than the year 2003 is able to run Windows 95, it wont install, it wont boot

Windows 98 stops working on hardware from 2005 onwards

Windows 2000 STILL WORKS, it only requires BIOS, not UEFI computer

But BIOS computers havent been made since 2012

You know you can configure most computers to boot in "legacy mode", right?

Arch is newer so of course it uses more battery

There's a huge range of thinkpads that fit your needs. Starting with 380ED and ending with T22 probably. Just pick whickever you can find at a reasonable price.

boomer

NeXTSTEP and Windows95/NT4-likes were the peak of computer UI.

Attached: nextstep.jpg (1280x1024, 137K)

Even FreeShit didn't look like shit.

Attached: cde aesthetic.png (2732x1536, 2.19M)

Other than “muh nostalgia” and saving money I don’t see why you’d want to use an old platform for something that can be done easily on new hardware. You can go buy any computer and not use the internet on it and do any of the exact tasks you listed with any operating system or hardware. But regardless if you’re set on using older hardware, I’d recommend any centrino/pentium M laptop with 98SE/2000 for best battery life and compatibility. It’ll be pretty hard finding a working laptop and drivers in 2018 to have a stable 95 experience so I’d consider that out of the picture

VirtualBox

>CDE
>Freeshit
So you were born after 2012

It's not nostalgia, 95 looks better than the garrish eyesore that is Windows 10.

It also doesn't download shit while I'm using it or makes everything stutter like Windows 10 does.

>original CDE having wallpapers
obviously, he's talking about XFCE/CDE-clones, zoomer

So would 98SE or 2000 be that much more of an issue? I don’t see the generational changes since 95 to those to make your use case a problem at all considering there’s likely no botnet or eyesores compared to windows 10, especially without internet connection being a factor

The fuck are talking about?
/.dt/backdrop
And I even used Sun openwindows, but I had to admin shitty CDE even though nobody wanted it.

>but I had to admin shitty CDE even though nobody wanted it.
Poor fucker.

I'd just run it in VirtualBox.

This thread is ducking stupid you autistic shit

Attached: 1521614306968.jpg (700x734, 107K)

do you realize that w95 was made for CPUs where single core of CPU was 100 times slower than modern CPU core? not even starting with the fact that modern CPU has at least 4 cores so it is in practice 400 times faster than CPUs used for win95

Just do some super minimal Linux install.

It will at least have a kernel with modern power management features and compatibility with filetypes and software from this century.

you can run both 95 and 2k on 2010+ hardware, just enable legacy mode. problem is that win2k for some fucking reason hate USB devices and will disable your keyboard mid installation

There's dozens of Linux versions and only one Windows 95

the biggest pain installing Windows 95 is pic related when you run into a 200 MHz+ PC. I think the problem first surfaced with the K6. I noticed it first when I tried installing Windows 95 on a K6-2. It can be fixed with the windows 95 k6 patch, but if you can't even boot into safe mode, how do you run the damn patch? Well the answer is you extract it and copy the files one by one in DOS mode. it's a pain the ass, but it works.
it's interesting that the problem is reproducible in virtual machines.

tl;dr
you probably want a Pentium classic below 150 MHz. May work on a Pentium MMX 133, not sure, haven't tried.

Attached: windows-95-protection-error-virtualbox.png (688x136, 3K)

I could consider 98 or 2000 I suppose

Good luck finding Windows 9x drivers for a mid-2000s garbage laptop.

haiku-os.org/

Correct,
Legacy mode, aka EFI, is possible on literally every computer

Won't work at all with modern chipsets since 20 years has brought a lot of changes.

>I don't need to use the internet on a daily basis, I just need to do some word processing and play occasional solitaire
You can do that on any version of Windows though.

1. Modern hardware lacks most of the infrastructure 95 needs to run such as IDE hard disks, floppy drives, serial/parallel ports, and old-fashioned ROM BIOSes
2. 95 can't handle more than 128MB of memory without becoming unstable
3. USB support is very limited

Windows 95 OSR 2.5 (mobo only works on 95 with 2.0 or above)
Pentium II 350 (above 350 MHz fucks up 95 without patches)
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra running the 56.64 drivers (81.98 works with a GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme but with crashes and no driver control panel)
ASUS P3V4X (Slot 1 but has AGP 4x and supports 133 MHz RAM with the CPU at 100 MHz FSB)
256 MB PC133 SDRAM (>480 MB fucks up 95 without patches)
You could also get a 32 GB M2 or SATA SSD and use an IDE converter (>32 GB fucks up 95 without patches)

You could do a lot better than this if you applied a metric shit ton of underclocks, patches, and kernel modifications but this is about the best you can get that's plug and play.

Solitare now cost money and has ads if you don't pay. Also, I'm not making an Xbox account just to play solitare.

worldofsolitaire.com/

You can just play an online version now.

>256 MB PC133 SDRAM (>480 MB fucks up 95 without patches)
Just realized I guess you could get to the limit by doing something weird like (256 + 128 + 64 + 32)

I guess you missed the parts "no" and "internet."

That's ok, you can't browse today's websites with any Windows 95-era browser anyway. That said, why doesn't OP use Linux? It would at least be compatible with modern motherboards.

Some people have preferences. Its not for you to understand, or even respect; but I get OP.

>you can't browse today's websites with any Windows 95-era browser anyway
RetroZilla works just fine on the internet. There's a big update coming soon too iirc.

>Some people have preferences. Its not for you to understand, or even respect; but I get OP.
Sup, OP.

No it don't.
Windows 95 use 100% of the CPU time the whole time unless you go thru some really shady ACPI crap.

I'm not OP, but I am a retro tech lover. I actually have windows 95 on an old Pentium based desktop I use for hobby programming.

You can confirm this by running any Windows 95-era game. It'll go up to 50% CPU usage right away.

I know exactly what he's doing. He's a fedora who thinks he can make like George R.R. Martin and he can write better if he uses some old shitbox PC.

>Windows 95 use 100% of the CPU time the whole time unless you go thru some really shady ACPI crap.
Shady ACPI crap? You install CPUIdle or Rain like literally everybody in the entire world did back then when overclocking.
That's something else completely, games just weren't programmed with waiting in them at all. They'd run as fast as they could and if you overclocked too much your game would become unplayable. You could FPS limit them though.

You can think whatever you want. Your retardation is infinite, like, it never ends. Even when you die, you'll still be a dead retard.

True patrish write on a TRS-80 with Scripsit.

Attached: 200415.jpg (660x490, 37K)

I really really miss those days. 0% botnet, 100% productivity.

Why is OP this mad?

>gets called a retard on a faggot image board
>asks why OP is mad.
Yup. Retarded to the end of time. Retarded til the next big bang, where your existence will reset and you'll sit around typing the same retarded shit.

>I don't need to use the internet on a daily basis, I just need to do some word processing and play occasional solitaire
Go for intel p6 and 440lx chipset. It worth it I tell ya.
pre 2k era macs are comfy

>pre 2k era macs are comfy
System 6-7 was comfy, but Tiger was better.

Attached: TigerDesk.png (600x450, 183K)

Tiger was probably the best Mac OS ever made. Recent versions are a joke.

ReactOS

just use 98, 95 was an unstable mess.

Attached: Honeyview_cap.jpg (1920x1080, 473K)

98 wasn't much better. Real niggas use NT 4

Legacy mode simulates BIOS, not EFI.

Not gonna fit a lot of document into 48k though.

>Mac OS 8.6 was probably the best Mac OS ever made.

fixed that for ya

I'm new to Jow Forums is this copy pasta?

Attached: 1526238106757.jpg (1024x957, 144K)

Now I know what I want to do this weekend...buy a shitty computer with windows 98 on it.

or just use 95B

or was it OSR1? Either way the versions of the disc that was bundled with OEMs at the time came with this patch preinstalled

98SE with the unofficial SP3 is the patrician choice. I have it on a Thinkbricc 600e Pentium II, get the T20 or T30 though, it has 3d-accelerated graphics

sure as hell looks real to me user

How do I bypass the password login screen on an old computer running Windows 2000?

I've tried Ultimate Boot CD without success. It just showed a black screen.

Attached: hviiJ.png (800x600, 13K)

You mean you don't know the password, or you want it to log on automatically?

I don't know the password. I was given the computer for free from an office space. I just want to get in to reset the password. I've also tried KonBoot, but it didn't load. I'm presuming these newer versions of software are not compatible with the old hardware or Windows 2000 doesn't recognize it. Compatibility issues. But I don't know. Please help.

>Windows 95 in 2018
it's called wine

There should be a tool on Hiren's Boot CD that can edit the user accounts.

I will download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 and hope it works. But first can you inform me if I have correctly set the computer to look from the CD before the hard drive?

Attached: IMG_20180727_144940.jpg (1920x1080, 322K)

>nope, nothing that is more recent than the year 2003 is able to run Windows 95, it wont install, it wont boot
Anything with Legacy BIOS support will be able to boot Windows 95.
You won't have 2D accelerated graphics drivers, networking drivers, sound drivers, etc though.

The boot order should be on a different page. Depending on how old that BIOS is it might have a boot menu accessible via F12 on the POST screen.

Attached: IMG_20180727_144956.jpg (1920x1080, 304K)

you have to turn hyperthreading off. also some other bios features that have to do with cpu

Says CD-ROM first, so it must be first. Looks like you have two CD-ROM drives though, so if it doesn't boot off of one then obviously try the other.

I loved 98

I've tried both drives to no success. It goes to a black screen with flashing cursor for a few seconds. Nothing else on the screen. Then straight to Starting Windows screen. The flashing cursor screen doesn't allow input. But locks up if I mash lots of keys. An ancient version of KonBoot actually loaded, but immediately proceeded to Starting Windows after the screen finished animating. I literally don't know how to proceed. It's just not working no matter what I try. It's very frustrating.

Attached: IMG_20180722_100607~01.jpg (1330x968, 150K)

Have you tried logging on as "Administrator" instead of "Admin"? Windows 2000 usually sets up the "Administrator" account by default. Maybe it has no password. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

The image above saying Admin is actually an image I pulled from Google for this thread. On my computer the default is lowercase "administrator". I've tried passwords "administrator", "admin", "password" and no password. But no luck. Upper and lower case.

Fun part about this is I am about to recycle about 16 Dell 840 laptops in good condition. P4 1.8, 256 mb ram, 1600x1200 screens, if it wasnt for the PATA, I would have slapped SSD in easy for a nice time.

You can slap one in with an mSATA to IDE adapter if you want.

heard some horror stories, still looking into it.

Run 5 Windows 95 VMs off of a Thinkpad. You probably don't want to connect them to the internet.

Attached: 1532285104186.gif (600x338, 1.61M)

How do I remove these power connectors from drives without breaking anything. I'm yanking at it with force but it doesn't seem to want to come out. I don't want to yank too hard for fear of breaking something.

Attached: IMG_20180727_153818~01.jpg (1080x1908, 375K)

I've never used Kon Boot before, but it looks like it runs, then boots Windows and allows you to log on with a blank password

Attached: images.jpg (234x215, 8K)

Rock them gently from side to side

Pliers(Save fingers), wiggle. A fuck ton of wiggling.

Thank you. That did it.

Yeah, well not the best design to work with, it did stay in place.

I thought that removing the hard drive would force the computer to consider the disk. But no. It's burnt onto a 4.7GB DVD disk and not a 700MB CD. Would that cause read issues or something?

Attached: IMG_20180727_155029.jpg (1920x1080, 271K)

but how do you plug and play?

Attached: winnt40.png (640x480, 3K)

If the BIOS is anything to go by you have CD-ROM drives, in which case they would only read CDs and not DVDs.

drives at the time weren't well-optimized to read from recordable dvd media. I remember in the early days drives either read the +R or -R format well, but not the other.

Oh right.. But it read the old KonBoot and that was on DVD. I'll try burning onto CDs then as well. Just need to get them.

That or they couldnt boot from CD/DVD and you had to make a 3.5 floppy boot to work with the drives. Not sure what happened to mine but had to use it with a Pentium 233 Sony VAIO.