This thread is for discussing widget frameworks for *nix...

This thread is for discussing widget frameworks for *nix, the technology powering desktop environments and GUI applications.
Old thread: I don't care about C vs C++. I can work with either and they're both fine languages. GTK+ and Qt use CSS, which I am fine with. What I trying to avoid is embedded scripting languages like JavaScript used in frameworks. Also looking to avoid quirks in compilation processes as some people say Qt has.

tl;dr Which widget frameworks work best in what situations?

Attached: widget-frameworks.png (900x555, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.qt.io/qt-5/qstyle.html#details
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck gtk

OPENLOOK/Olit/Xview master race!

>suggesting shit that runs on top of the rootkit formerly know as X.org

Qt all the way.

t. retard who fell the GTK meme.

This

t. retard who fell for the tkinter meme

if you don't like x.org then run it on top of XFree86 or Xsun. :^)

Sorry, I'm looking for maintained frameworks

Someone last thread recced Electron but I am a stickler about efficiency and no scripting languages

oh, then motif via CDE.
or Xaw via x.org.

Qt is so comfy.
t. Never fell for the gtkancer meme

nice arguments

GTK+ has a lot of officially supported language bindings, but theming is dogshit basically by design on account of muh GNOME vision. Plus gtk went hard in on the csd meme, meaning shit looks awkward outside of gnome unless the developers take extra care to keep stuff out of the titlebar.

OP here. GTK+ despite all the naysayers is still what I'm leaning towards. All the GNOME/GTK3 regressions seem avoidable with care and GTK+ has the best font rendering.

Why would anyone use C? The language wasn't made for that

GTK themes are mostly just CSS, and only GNOME apps use CSD. Qt themes are mystery to everybody.

I don't really see any difference in Freetype2 vs pango. Font rendering used to be a pain point for Linux, but these days, outside of Arch and openSuse, it's all gravy. If you want to give yourself extra work or make your app gnome specific, go for gtk, but do note that using gtk+ outside of gnome is an unsupported use case.

Attached: file.png (573x640, 481K)

>Qt themes are mystery to everybody.
???
doc.qt.io/qt-5/qstyle.html#details

Attached: file.png (672x148, 24K)

Is Freetype2 what Qt uses? When I said GTK+ has the best font rendering I was really just comparing it to the rendering I see in KDE Plasma, which is pretty shabby.

As I sit here shitposting from my Kubuntu desktop, my fonts look fine to me. What distro?

Attached: file.png (1402x818, 110K)

Qt + QML is what you want

Arch. Maybe I'm just seeing things. But the fonts of GNOME look nicer to me if I look closely.

On Arch, you probably aren't imagining things. The Arch devs are lazy and only ship the example configs that their upstreams make. GNOME has a good example config; plasma, not so much. But debian, ubuntu and most distros ship their own defaults.

please give me a quick rundown on x.org rootkit meme

Attached: 5723AEDF-D673-4339-A83C-C199E84795F1.jpg (863x1300, 120K)