How the FUCK did people live without cellphones

How the FUCK did people live without cellphones

>get stranded on a highway
>wait hours before a car passes
>wave it down
>keeps driving

Attached: cellphone.gif (400x288, 600K)

If you're used to not having anything then it's not so bad. Besides, there's always the radio.

So? Sooner or later someone that stops does come by.

I had an engine break down late at new years 7-8 years ago in a mountain area with little coverage, didn't help me much to have a cell phone then. Even when I walked 12 kilometers to the nearest populated area in -24 degrees C, everything was closed and I still had to find somewhere to stay the night.

You need to be resourceful and not lie down and wait for death at the first sign of struggle, OP.

A few reasons:
1) Public phones were a thing;
2) CB radios were a thing (H/T );
3) If neither were, the nearest house/shop/gas station would let you use theirs;
4) People didn't actually ignore you if you were stuck on the highway with your car broken down (especially at night/bad weather/etc);
5) Car's broke down significantly less back then - not because cars were much more reliable, but because people weren't dumbfucks who took their never-been-maintained shitboxes on 2000 mile journeys with no failsafes (jumper leads, starter, extra gas, etc);
6) TLDR: people weren't helpless dumbfucks like now (H/T ).

>but because people weren't dumbfucks who took their never-been-maintained shitboxes on 2000 mile journeys with no failsafes (jumper leads, starter, extra gas, etc);
So much this. I mean, I have some stupid as shit friends who went to their mountain cabin in winter without jumper leads and tire chains, and then genuinely got stumped when of fucking course it snowed and their battery was dead... I mean, what the fuck, are people just incapable of thinking more than two minutes ahead?

>animated gif that doesn't move

Attached: 1530800786374.jpg (569x604, 270K)

They are. I truely believe that the ability to think somethink all the way trough is what separates the mediocore from the great.
It requires knowledge of the subject in question, as well as everything related to it.
I have have worked with genius programmers, who'd come up with really efficient solutions to complex problems in no time. Sadly, their code was unscaleable, hell to add features to and impossibly frustrating to debug due to lack of good documentation.
Startups are also infested with short-term-thinkers, they'll have a great idea, make a great product and fail to see, that there is just no market for it, or that it cannot easily be mass produced and they'd need an investment of a few billion dollars just to have the faintest shot of anybody being able to aford their shit (with profit margins being next to none).

I swear it's something you can practice. Anons, please take my word for it, next time you're in a discussion about anything, try to really take your time and examine every single argument and all eventualities that need to come true for it to be valid. It's very rewarding and it will help you develop an invalueable lifeskill.

tfw have a cellphone but no service.

you walked to a payphone

HOW dare someone use their human legs for personnel transportation! I need MUH cellphone so i dont have to WALK to a PHONE.
boohooooo

I'm 40 years old. Like the other user said, public phones were everywhere. Try watching movies made in the 70's-90's and notice that phonebooths are everywhere. We had landlines too. If you wanted to talk with someone, you go out and meet them. Usually people hang out in a semi-routine manner. E.g. you know your buddies will usually be at the arcade after school so you go there if you want to meet them. For people far away, you wrote letters if you don't want to call them. Yes, actual letters written by hand. Then you wait 2-4 weeks for a reply. Can't say I'm nostalgic for those days. I remembered waiting forever for my turn to use a public phone because the guy using it is having a meltdown with his gf on the line.

I had my cellphone die on me when I was stranded one time recently. I found the only payphones I knew of and none of them fucking worked. And convenience stored wouldn't let me borrow their phones. I just found a cab took it to my parents and rang their doorbell. Believe it or not before cellphones it would have been even easier. But people are sugarcoating it. Breaking down on the highway without a cellphone was the worst.
What is even worse though is meeting up with people. I remember being at a shop on holiday with my family and my dad and I went into a different store than my mom and sister and ended up lost for hours. While meeting up at EDC this year with my friends was hell. It was definately shit despite what people itt say.

39 year old boomer here.

Yeah, it sucked.
Lots of waiting around and getting coins for payphones.

>I remember being at a shop on holiday with my family and my dad and I went into a different store than my mom and sister and ended up lost for hours.
before cellphones, what people did when splitting up was to say something like "meet back up at in an hour"

Yeah, but we just said like "we will just be in the shop here" and then I guess they thought the wrong shop. Shit happens man. Especially if it is not your hometown.

Also reminded me. The worst part was not having google maps.

>5) Car's broke down significantly less back then - not because cars were much more reliable, but because people weren't dumbfucks who took their never-been-maintained shitboxes on 2000 mile journeys with no failsafes (jumper leads, starter, extra gas, etc);
definately
thinking of having no cellphone /now/ doesn't quite work, people are used to having a phone with them nowadays, when they didn't, people were, and had to be, more careful when doing things like long trips, since there was no cellphone 'safety net' to fall back on if shit when south

Sure there were payphones everywhere.
But the big problem was people had to be at home to reach them.

I was once stranded because all my stuff got stolen while I was windsurfing while my mother was away for the day.
Took me 5 hours to contact a friend's parent who could pick me up and bring me home, seriously contemplated spending the night on the beach with just my wet suit on and no food or water.

>TFW when you're a tax paying murrican and your highways don't have emergency telephones every X kilometers.

obviously, americans have them every X miles, not kilometers

gifs don't have to be animated

And yet OP's is, despite not needing to be

Google maps/GPS are a fucking godsend. Remember having to go buy a map and manually plan out your entire drive before you go? And having to do that again if you make a wrong turn? Holy fuck, the ability to just decide to drive somewhere and immediately go and do it is amazing. I know people got by before, but it was a massive pain in the ass. Technology is great.

The stress man. Especially if you are diving for hours in a foreign country.
Or when someone gave you directions to their house and you had to write it down and hope it worked.

>How
Easy. We just planned things ahead including where to meet in case of problems.

>not using your autistic son to navigate.
I always loved reading road maps and giving directions to my mom.

>non-animated gif that moves

Attached: 1511579863012.jpg (125x119, 2K)

I have a CB radio in my car
It's totally dead except in traffic jams

Payphones. Before cell phones were ubiquitous it was extremely common for people to carry a roll of quarters in their car for emergencies. When I first got a cell phone it was hard to get out of the habit of making sure I have a bunch of quarters before I drive off.

I miss when people knew how to plan ahead. Now, whenever I schedule an event for friends or people, I have to check my phone every five minutes to see if some idiot needs help, when they should've figured things out at least the day before an event.

plan ahead? haha, i have an app for that
>battery goes flat

>In the middle of road of Arizona there is a cellphone in somewhere
Sure

Sorry, payphone

They just accepted their death with honor.
Not that you would know anything about that, you mouthbreating millennial asswipe.

Attached: 1509172790059.jpg (456x549, 108K)

>americans have them every X miles, not kilometers
God I hate this fucking backwards ass country

CB radio?

>leaving your car in -24 temps

Put your hazards on and wait nigger, leaving the vehicle is how people freeze to death.

You can rename files as a gif

it's really not difficult to read a map. what are you talking about?

in fact, on all road trips now I use paper maps until i get into the city and need to get to an address that i haven't been to already. I use OSM for final approach if necessary, but trying to wean off that as well.

it blows people away when I don't need google maps to follow road signs and can remember how to get to places >10 hours away.

Before phones, the idea of being unable to communicate anyone anywhere was normal. They'd prepare due to this. There are more idiots in the world because we haven't abolished our shitty "education" "system" that doesn't do shit. We also have these things called social programs that keep people who have gone so far backwards through the stages of evolution that they are incapable of feeding themselves.

Very happily. Able to think without a cloud of techno buzz in your head.

They used to think about things and plan ahead.

I know, it sounds gay, but that's it.

society back then wasn't full of fuckwads that were entitled to gibs. everyone helped anyone out.

>paying more than $50 for a phone

Attached: costanza.jpg (540x550, 57K)

>people who genuinely ask these retarded questions are old enough to post on Jow Forums

Attached: 4345343.png (978x648, 955K)

> The time period with the most serial killers in history a lot of which operated in hihgways
> people didn't ignore you lol

Attached: 1519625980538.jpg (741x487, 39K)

i wish cellphones and internet never existed

Shheiitt. . . imagine life with no air conditioning!

Attached: Sheeeeit.jpg (720x540, 68K)

>keeps driving

thats the thing, in a world without cellphones the car wouldnt drive away

people always pulled over to check if you needed any help
the western world was a safer place back then

*picks you up*
*cereal murders you*

psst, nothing personel kid

>paying for a phone

quite easily desu

the vast majority of what modern cell phones are used for are things that any adult should be able to live without (e.g., texting each other videos of dancing hot dogs and smiling turd emojis)

i have a cell phone but just stick $100 a year on it. so far i've never used up the whole $100 (i live in canada so i have to put a minimum of $100 a year on or else the service gets cancelled; fuckin bullshit)
last time i topped up was in december 2017 and i've spent about $10 on calls/texts since then

i don't use data or anything and i'm fine

>tfw still drive around without a mobile phone

I like living life dangerously.

>5) Car's broke down significantly less back then - not because cars were much more reliable, but because people weren't dumbfucks who took their never-been-maintained shitboxes on 2000 mile journeys with no failsafes (jumper leads, starter, extra gas, etc);

I don't think that's the case. Rather it's that cars have become a lot less serviceable these days. Spark plugs are hidden away under fancy covers, ignition is computer controlled using proprietary black box ECUs, some parts require special tools to open etc. Also i'm not sure what's the case in burgerworld, but here you're required by law to carry things like first aid kits, reflective vest, fire extinguisher etc. in your trunk at all times

my family used a ton of mapquest when that came around so we wouldn't have to do all the routing ourselves
and we'd still just buy maps

You don't see it?

I really miss this, actual human interaction is virtually nonexistent nowadays...

Fuck off, maps were comfy as fuck.