How did you guys get into using a Linux distro?

How did you guys get into using a Linux distro?

I only recently began using one, and it's changing the way I look at computers entirely. But holy hell, what a learning curve.

Attached: akxbdIU.jpg (2480x1650, 324K)

i installed ubuntu 9.04 out of boredom, never went back

I installed gentoo, used it exclusively for a couple of years and went from there.

Stay away from lincux. I hopped from ubuntu to mint to manjaro aand tried the maiinline desktop environments on all (xfce, cinnamon, and that other one). All those DEs feel like an android phone GUI but more gimped and with tons of useless bloat. Loonix is not worth using as a desktop. As a server maybe. But hyper-v shits on both kvm and xenserver when it comes to having windows vms. So you pmuch only use loonix to host other loonix vms to host websites, proxies, vpns, ans whatever. Do NOT bother with non mainline DEs as they will break your already unstable PoS OS that looks like bootleg Mac OS.

based.

Based mac os comparison post

Just install one and stick to it. The differences between distros are minimal. They can all do the same things and no distro is "better" than another.
Google shit when you need to, don't be afraid to ask dumb questions, and get used to the command line. Using command line is faster 99% of the time then opening up some GUI program and doing it through there. Use the man and help programs to get program arguments and to learn how to use it.
Ricing is for queers, don't bother doing it.

I installed linux mint and was surprised that I didn't have to learn anything to do all the basic shit.
From there on I started learning to use to CLI.

>Had a budget pre-built desktop from best buy
>Came installed with vista (32-bit)
>free upgrade to windows 7 when it came out
>use for a few years
>grow out of /b/ and venture to other boards, like Jow Forums, /lit/ and Jow Forums
>learn it's possible to partition a hard drive and dual boot
>decide to try out linux
>install Ubuntu 10.04 - lucid lynx
>it runs much better than windows
>mfw "it's so fast, I feel like I got a brand new computer"
>dual boot for quite a while
>eventually decide to "immerse myself" so that I will be forced to learn more about how to use linux
>by this time my main machine is a thinkpad T530
>get rid of windows entirely
>fast forward a couple years
>decide to install arch for learning purposes
>love Arch package management, start using Arch as main OS

>present day
>Gentoo

Attached: debian.png (1600x1600, 36K)

>hopped from ubuntu to mint to manjaro aand tried the maiinline desktop environments on all
This is what ADHD looks like.

I just downloaded SLS on a pile of floppies.

i started when i dropped my laptop and windows got stuck in a repair loop. xubuntu would work but whenever it got to the bad blocks or whatever (usually a month or two) it would freeze and i'd have to reinstall. that was about 4 years ago, been hooked ever since

late 90s
windows 95/98 crashes multiple times per day
windows NT was too expensive
bought a SuSE box at the local computer shop (downloading would have been more expensive because internet was paid per minute)
dual booting until around 2005
distro hopping until around 2010
running debian ever since, current install is from 2011

Got into rooting android software and time to time windows just didn't cut it for getting the code through.
Currently Manjaro but looking at Clover, but linux os' shit me because its as if they hate
- business workflows, give me a pdf manual so I can read off some fucking printed paper
- intuitive layout, you actually have to go backwards to go get id3 support, you can tell me that its not this and that till the cows come home but you're basically shitting down your own userbase for the sake of your nigger gains. Linux used to be about functionality and now its worse than the non elect UN, so suck my cock nigger.
- every program has some asshole name which can't self describe its purpose. EVERY program.
Children like windows, Jow Forums. Because it's not a straight asshole. You've got free DJ software and 200 people use it because you're a straight asshole.

Attached: thatsfuckingay.png (480x481, 429K)

>The differences between distros are minimal. They can all do the same things and no distro is "better" than another.
This is only true if - like many people - you're mostly just hopping between a bunch of ordinary desktop distros that are ultimately just Debian with a DE and some customization, with maybe the odd Arch- or Red Hat-based distro thrown in.
On the other hand, if you compare Ubuntu to Gentoo, Alpine, Puppy, and Porteus Kiosk, you'll see some noteworthy differences.

Attached: 1521939021380.jpg (225x225, 5K)

same, but still on my debian fase

Attached: RAGPWm8.jpg (989x716, 179K)

They aren't different in terms of what's possible. You can run a server on any gentoo, Ubuntu, debian, fedora, etc. machine. You can generally run the same programs on Gentoo as you can on Ubuntu and vice versa.

You are genuinely a fucking idiot OP.

I got into it like 10 years ago, and I agree it was a massive learning curve at the time. I'm happy I stuck with it eventually (after going back a few times), because now I understand and can control Linux in far superior manner to Windows.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1532779504161.jpg (712x562, 36K)

back when ubuntu was good

I was horrified when they went with unity. what a way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Attached: ubuntu-9-4-bluetooth-4.jpg (600x388, 35K)

for me it's tilingwms that hooked me and not distros
>install i3
>love tiling and tabbed mode
>go back to window stacking
>feel clunky and unorganized
>go back to tiling immediately
>get used to linux and reading manuals before using anything
>start using debian/arch wikis to get updated solutions as systemd made most of old answers elsewhere obsolete
>learn file structure over time
>3 years later
>end up with debian and dwm

Who is this semen demon?

I was just curious and did it for fun.

It also feels good to be a noob again.

I wanted to try something other than Windows, some day in my life, since I enjoy variety. At the same time, I had wanted to learn C, since I already knew Java and wanted to explore a second language. I began using GNU/Linux, but had a pretty mediocre time. All the distributions I tried were mediocre. All the documentation was even worse: none of it was meant for newbs like me.
But then, before I was basically about to quit, I found FreeBSD. It had the FreeBSD Handbook. And I learnt Unix with FreeBSD, and FreeBSD comes with all the tools to program in C, in the default install.
I've moved on to OpenBSD being my preferred OS, now. But do consider FreeBSD and OpenBSD for their documentation, OP: that should make the learning curve way easier. You can always switch to GNU/Linux later if you really need to run a GNU system.

Cd code && ls && pwd && cd..

>But holy hell, what a learning curve.
It's actually more of an un-learning curve. Un-learning the magical illusions about how computers work that have been put into your head by modern "user-friendly" approaches to software development.

You haven't really learned how to use GNU/Linux. You've just been finally learning how to use a computer.

>be 1999
>final year project at uni
>decided to implement it in C because Java didn't support non-blocking network sockets at the time, and also lack of good low-bitrate audio codec libs in ancient Java
>windows 95 is shit
>also a pauper
>take computer into the lab and have one of the postgrads install slackware via network
>holy shit, this is so much better