Why is hacking considered to be the pinnacle of programming?

Why is hacking considered to be the pinnacle of programming?

Engineering something to be maintainable, secure, and rich in features is harder than breaking it.

Attached: 1-1-796x448.jpg (796x448, 46K)

because hacking is marketable to the tv culture while the work of engineering something reliable is not.

Cause it's cool. And well, you need a significant amount of skill if you have to reverse engineer something.

How do you know something is secure when there's no one to hack it?

Attached: chiyaurarameirochou.jpg (640x775, 106K)

time for a hard truth:
Hacking is not the pinnacle of programming. You've been watching too much tv. Also "hacking" is not even what you think it is. You're associating it with security testing because you're told that by your media overlords. Hacking in reality is simply making a device do something other than its intended purpose. If I make my toaster fry an egg, I hacked it.

The pinnacle of programming is A.I. These days, anyone can learn a few unix terminal commands and feel like a hacker. You're "Mr. Robot" dreams are just that. Hacking rarely uses any complex programming, but uses premade tools instead. You'll learn that TV will tell you anything. Why do you think TV is called programming? (it programs you into thinking a certain way).

on the other side, there are hundreds of millions of software-engineers, but only a few thousand pen-testers and similar professionals.

It is really easy to find tutorials and standard solutions for engineering sometihng, but reverse-engineering a system and even gathering knowledge (instead of just signing up to a CS course) to learn how to do it takes serious research and thinking outside the box.

hackers are more like scientists, while engineers are more like construction workers

?? There are millions of resources on hacking. Kids in china and russia do it for fun. Americans are the only ones that have a hard time with it. There are also more """hackers""" than you think. Anyone can say they are anything.

>gathering data by adjusting ElasticSearch requests to your Logstash
>try-and-error-adjusting Tensorflow variables unttil something works
>pinnacle of programming
eat a dick, data science freshman. come back when youre working in the industry.

None of that is hard to do to a person that studies system engineering.

Fuck off with your children's hobby.

lol. I bet you think hash encryption is special.

What resources? I only know books that are too high-level to teach you anything practical. And ones that teach you how to use some pen-tools, which are out of date the day the book is published.

The only good resources are OWASP and CIS and they focus more on engineering than reverse-engineering

>pinnacle of programming
Not quite.

Hacking (or Cracking if you swing that way) is important for engineers to know about because by learning from mistakes you can make a better piece of software.

If you were to take a bridge building course you'd be shown the Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse. And asked to why did the bridge collapse? What were the contributing factors? How can we make our bridges not collapse?

That's because reverse engineering is a no brainer to most intelligent engineers. If you can't find resources on hacking, you're an idiot. There are books made for kids on that subject, Mr. Robotfag.

>while engineers are more like construction workers
maybe the code monkeys

they are more like architects

Reverse engineering is basically: Get a good decompiler, and look for function calls in a debugger. strace and ltrace are good for following syscalls and library calls.

The rest is just grind.

>Engineering something to be maintainable, secure, and rich in features is harder than breaking it.

Well
Ya see...
If it was so hard to engineer and it is so well engineered...
Imagine how hard it is to hack it.
And that is why hacking is at the top.

You seriously have a hard time finding resources on the most mainstream media forced meme of all time? I mean, there are books literally everywhere about penetration testing, you can take hundreds of online tutorials on it, and you could pirate endless books about it. There's literally more forums on "hacking" than engineering.

I'm starting to think you're an idiot that watched something on CNN and thought: OMG!! RUSSIANS AND CHINK CHILDREN MESSED WITH OUR ELECTION NUMBERS!! I WANNA HACK TOO.

Also ofcouse OWASP and CIS focus on engineering, most smart engineers know how to reverse engineer! Its apart of their job. Retard, do you honestly think people that build systems aren't taught to test it?

You're making me laugh too much.

>that studies
I don't study anymore, I work. If you never implemented CQRS in SPAs or Mobile Apps, message broker coordinated microservices, monitoring (nagios), logging (ELK), continous deployment, pyramide-scaled testing, you are just a clueless kid

>hacking
>at the top
Its so easy to do, they teach it at community colleges. You can get a certificate in like 3 months. How is penetration testing hard? Its a hobby more than anything.

Lol, you're retarded. I bet you think cracking a password using john makes you hacker.

This.

Also hacking is not really that hard to do. I have no idea what OP is calling it

"the pinnacle of programming"

Its like summer fags with cable TV all over the fucking forum.

>certificate
yah. You can get any cert in that much time
>penetration testing
Find seriuos zero day. Then speak about how easy hacking is. Imbecile.

You had me until you mentioned A.I.

Ethical hacking firms literally use (high IQ) dropouts.
Takes just months to teach and they are happy enough someone is still willing to hire them.

Keep telling yourself what ever you need to make yourself think that """hacking"""" is a difficult and tedious challenge.

Also I have yet to see a degree for penetration testing. Its the easiest thing next to being a web developer, why do you think its not a degree?

I was trying to appeal to OP's retardation. A.I is a meme, like hacking. I figured he'd be able to relate.

>I was just pretending to be retarded

This is why you hire white hats.

>I can't read between the lines

>penetration testing
You again with this shit.
Go find zero day if it is so easy. GO. Prove it kid. Oh wait. You can't. All you can is compare hacking to penetration testing. You are a fucking idiot. Testing system against bunch of known vulns is not hacking (hint - it is called PENETRATION TESTING). Finding new vulns is hacking.

>hacking: making a device do something other than its intended purpose

>penetration testing: finding venerabilities in an electronic system

I get why you're butt-hurt. But you don't even know what hacking is.

Wow. You're mad. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

>ITT: Some faggot watched Mr. Robot, saw CNN's report on Russia last night, then thought "hey! i need to be a hacker too!"

No one even calls it cyber sec anymore. They just meme the shit to death. Memes and KALI linux.

>throwing in terms in the debate to appear like an expert on a topic
using tools or a toolSET like kali-linux isn't even hacking. hacking is doing something with a program that is was not intended for.

making an aimbot for a video game is hacking, crawling data from a website is hacking, abusing iframes for user-tracking is hacking.

>penetration testing
testing if system has already known holes.

>making device do something other than
Yah. Sure. If it is so easy can you do it? Without using existing hacks. You can't. Because it is fucking hard. Harder than engineering system.

Non argument. Thanks for playing. Gtfo.

because plebs like you don't know that what mainstream is calling hacking, is actualy cracking. And hacking is much more deeper than just breaking someting

Today hackers begins militar programmers or 5 - 10 years experience programmer want make fun things or money.

AnnaSenpai creator mirai botnet begins software engineer.

because hardening propreitary software is a fucking pain

>hackers are more like scientists, while engineers are more like construction workers
>analogies