/wdg/ Web Degeneration Thread

Getting people to stay on your site for 30 more seconds edition

Previous:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018 - A Practical Guide

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: frameworks.png (1085x658, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phrogz.net/JS/classes/OOPinJS.html
spectrum.chat/
spectrum.chat/privacy
owlcation.com/stem/Simple-search-PHP-MySQL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: s-[2015.11.19_01.30.08].jpg (1280x720, 503K)

>tfw there are only 4 people left on earth with my last name

My firstname + lastname used to be a globally unique combination. Every websearch found me personally.
Now, there's a kid in Europe with the same name who's active on every social media ever and plays sports for a semi-popular local team and there's a bit of noise in the search, I can fade away into anonymity again.

Are you literally me?
>used to be unique first- & lastname
>kid in Europe is born some time ago
>is on social media and local sports team
>my only (2) results are now semi-hidden among those results

Attached: 1505141234579.png (558x512, 278K)

same here (I'm the one you (you)'d), every search for my firstname + lastname shows my blog (mylastname.net) and everything after that, is social media accounts of my mother and my brother. Feels good to be non-existant

What is the JavaScript equivalent of PHP's public, private and protected properties / methods inside a class?

A while back, a distant relative made a very, very detailed family tree. Google searches find me, my date and place of birth, siblings, parents, everything.

Combined with some photos of me from cons etc and a few company staff profiles and you can learn just about everything about me with a simple search.
A bit of noise in the search is super important.

A well known classic musician have the same name, googly doest even lists me on the first 3 pages. Nice!

phrogz.net/JS/classes/OOPinJS.html

The only person with my same name is a sex offender about 5 years older than me, but close enough that if you just glanced at my resume you might think we are the same person.

is that pic in OP a good or bad thing?

Using postgesql I wanna set up some relations but I dunno how to do it properly

If I want something where a user can add friends, and also add things (example some todos)
But I want those todos to be visible either by only the people on the friend's list, or private, or public

What kind of setup do I want for this? I'm thinking users with a list of friends and then the todos join to the user and then check against the list of friends, but that seems slow/inefficient?

Maybe each todo has a user and then the todo, and if the todo is available to friends it checks against the user's friends, if not it's private and if it's public it checks nothing?

Should I just shove everything under user?

wtf help

having a lot of frameworks is a bad thing, user

Is there a place where I can download stuff like those links in Further resources to read them offline?
Like, without going one by one downloading every single page.

>be me
>work at a website
>webmaster went for hostgator because they are cheap
>took some digital marketing courses
>now write good content, since I hate clickbaits, I avoid using them
>manage to increase session numbers and time, now averagin 1m20s and over 3k sessions per week
>about 1k visits per day
>suddenly site collapses
>it goes down for 3 days
>ask people at hostgator what the fuck is going on
>"lol, ur siet consumz 2 much RAM from CPU of users, lol u banned"
>They take 17 hours to reply and let me get in to fix some shit
>"lol, why are u complaining, we aren't interested in having u as partner if your site consumz so much lol"
>site's traffic plummeted
>sessions plummeted
>bouncing rate skyrocketed
Any ideas for hosting? I don't want to deal with this people anymore.
Also, how do you guys fight content scrapers?

get a VPS, host it yourself, adjust specs as needed

I'm trying to find a name of a javascript thing I've seen done before but I can't remember the damn name of it.
It would load text in front of the user as if someone was typing it as in loading it character by character, you could adjust the speed that the characters were being typed though.
I've been trying to find the name of this little javascript thing for over an hour now and it's driving me crazy.

>he fell for the PHP is bad meme

Where can I learn Ajax?

>using PHP in 2k+18
get with the times, Muhammed

What's this year's hot shit, babe?

From some cursory googling, the common name of what you're talking about seems to be "typewriter effect", and there are a few different libraries who provide it.

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: 1532495220843.png (640x1599, 330K)

>typewriter effect
that's what I was looking for, now to find a good premade javascript thing that works for me.

nigga just loop through a string character by character and have a timeout. its literally like 5 lines of code

hah I'm still busy with studying for all that stuff, so i'm not at the point yet where I can make my own snippits.
I just wanted that effect for a small novel I'm writing that i'm putting online, I thought it would be nice if the paragraphs would load as if someone was typing it in front of the reader, give them something a bit different to look at.

>reinvent the wheel bro

Angular or React for securing employment?

it's honestly one of the simplest things you can possibly do. instead of bloating your website with some fat ass library that includes the 5 lines of code you want, make it yourself. there's probably even 2 minute tutorial for what you want
>write first character
>delay * delay multiplier
>write second character
>repeat
thats literally it

how big is your node_modules senpai, be honest.

>be you
>not me
>let a = nº of react jobs
>let b = nº of angular jobs
>learn react if a > b else angular

what is this and why should I care?

>that reading comprehension
>i was just pretending to be retarded

maybe go back to school?

just job search "web development" and you'll get a bunch of jobs around you. You'll be able to gauge if angular or react is more popular in your area.

Can't you read, nigger?

Fucking this.
People should stop asking/saying stupid shit like:
>hurr durr php is shit get with the times, granpa
and we still see companies using it because it does the job and Laravel is now being used by companies and freelancers alike
>what should i learn?
Fucking do your research. Check what companies are asking in the market and fucking learn it.

>not earning lot of money coding with PHP and Symfony/Laravel in 2018
it's like you don't like money, user

>not using java instead
sure, user
now repeat it to yourself until you believe It

>not learning JS + node now so in 3 years when things like Electron are just standard you become a billionaire

Does anyone have any experience with Synology NAS and its LDAP-functions? In our website, we log users in by checking it against the LDAP, but the password gets sent in cleartext. We try to make it more secure and also try to create a persistent log in system (using cookies).

Using MVC .NET how do I tell the routing to ignore certain parameters and still call the right controller if I want to use client side routing?

>business makes millions
>you make pennies

>sucking dicks of hiv infested faggots is fine because they pay me a lot
kill yourself you spineless nigger

lol, this guy doesn't get paid at all. how's being NEET?

>I suck dicks for living, therefore it's impossible to earn money in other ways
Finding a decent paying job that doesn't involve putting penises in your mouth is not that hard you deluded faggot.

ah, not very well I guess. Parents still harping on about how you haven't got a job yet? it's gunna suck when they realise you'll amount to nothing but a checkout boi

aren't form handling and database queries much much easier with php?

module pattern

>you will never have a successful poo in loo architecture that rakes in thousands a month

Attached: 0006873809_41.jpg (210x210, 7K)

How fucking dumb is it to force libraries and frameworks into personal projects that don't really require them simply so I can demonstrate that I've used those frameworks/libraries before? I feel like I'm trying to force React and Django on a simple CRUD project just so I can say I've used them. I'm not even sure I need them. Django, maybe, but I could probably just use vanilla JS for my UI in this case.

Gotta love how that fag can't wrap his head around the fact that not every project needs 100 files just to print hello world.

>but muh mvc
babies theses days want multiple folders and files just to circle jerk about how they've written the same function to get data twice.

I think he was more concerned that his site is completely unmaintainable for other people, and the code is probably a total fucking nightmare for others to read.

So now he has a decent amount of users, nobody can really help or do shit with it because it's a nightmare and most people ain't got time for that shit.

>we still don't have a spectrum chat to better manage webdev resources shared
s m d h spectrum.chat/

>The internet was built for communities.
Was it really?

>spectrum.chat/privacy
No

Actually yeah, the military literally needed better communication tools.
Discord's is worse though and there are still many people on the wdg server so that's literally a non-issue.

I’ve gotten a decent grip on HTML/CSS over the past four months and know the basics of JavaScript. Should I continue down the JS rabbit hole and learn React/Node after reading You Dont Know JS, or should I dip into PHP and its frameworks? Looking to get employed.

can we get a bot that spams this thread with "if you want to get employed, look at what companies/job postings in your area are looking for rather than asking general vague questions about languages"?
th[xxx]

Which language is the best, though? Like if I wanted to get employed.

look bitch you're about to get smacked the fuck out

No because idiots will then know where to look and that makes people with over 50 IQ have less job options

fucking horriblesubs ruined their site so people click more times, now i never visit their site

>java
>web development
the fuck am I reading?

You can use Java for web dev retard

yeah, but there are better options to make web apps than Java

In what, Java applets? I thought support was dropped ages ago.

There a ton of Java Frameworks for the web.
I've used Java Struts 2 for example for college

Why are there so many frameworks to do the same thing? Are web devs just autistic?

What is IBM WebSphere and Tomcat for 500. Welcome to the real enterprise world.

Because they don't do the same thing. Even in scenarios where they are pretty much interchangeable, one was created explicitly to pick up the slack of the former/do things in a different way that benefits the creators workflow. Like react/vue.

Basically like, get to learning your shit bitch.

I'll just stick with pure JS and use libraries, thanks.

Attached: th.jpg (474x432, 22K)

I’m in Toronto so there are numerous postings for everything, I just don’t have enough knowledge in the industry to know which languages are here to stay and which are memes of the year. Along with that I have no idea which are easy/hard to learn. I’m sorry I don’t mean to shit up the thread.

Java on the frontend is impossible. Aside from maybe IE I'm pretty sure it's blocked in browsers. All Java web dev now a days is done on the server side and you never know it happens since the end product is just a typical website with html, css, and js for the end user.

>numerous postings for everything
Spend more time actually looking into the postings and figuring out which companies you'd want to work at and which they use/require.
Simple stuff bud.

Node/Express backend with a React/Redux frontend

Attached: mayAllahForgiveMe.jpg (900x635, 63K)

I need to let people enter their own domain and have it go to my server.

Is there a way to do this programmatically?

I know I can use the digitaloceans api to add the domain but then the client has to update the nameservers themselves. Also I have to edit my virtual hosts and reboot everything which introduces downtime.

Is there a better way?

update dns
?

?

There isn't really a better way, they need to update the nameservers. Alternatives:
>You are the domain registrar
>They give you login credentials to their registrar and you attempt to script/scrape your way through for every possible registrar
Neither are good options, so I would stick to giving the user general instructions on how to do it.

I think I'll just add their domain with the DO API and tell them to manually do it and to email support if they need help.

I did think a way around virtual hosts so that's good.

>look at some dude's github with 3k commits in the past year
>literally all one liners and private repos

Almost as bad as the "1 commit a day" people.

How do I find a good project to work on?

I'm already employed but wouldn't mind doing some open stuff source in addition to my current projects when I'm not at work.

work on stuff that you use

owlcation.com/stem/Simple-search-PHP-MySQL

Looks pretty easy in PHP, what about other languages?

That's not bad at all, most people commit far more to private repos than open ones, at least they're committing.
Now if only github gave you green boxes for shitposting on /wdg/, you'd be employed ASAP, right user?

That search is shitty and outdated. In PHP it's one of the easiest things you can do. A search form in PHP with prepared statements would take you maybe 15 minutes to do.

>search to find modern, practical uses for html5 canvas
>everything is outdated shit from when it was first announced until maybe 2014-2015 when there's still hype about it being something for gaming
>any link to interesting examples on stackoverflow is now a waybackmachine link
lol. Is there any practical use for canvas on a 2018 webpage (not including webGL)? It's a pain in the ass to work with so I can still see it being somewhat useful for quick game prototypes, drawing logos/shapes, quick image operation examples. I'm actually a bit disappointed by it but probably going to learn webgl now to play some more with it.

islamisbad.info

Spinning boxes are cool

>an average electron program

Attached: youravaerageelectronprogram.png (471x281, 10K)

and all it does is reverse textbox input into an alert.

mvc.net routing is handled by the routeconfig.cs. look up a tut combining mvc and your meme framework

What's the proper way to make pages in Angular? Say I want to make a chatroom system.

What's the /#/ system called?

about to start learning web dev and get this 'The Complete Web Developer in 2018' course by Andrei Neagoie.
Does anyone know if the course is linux friendly. I'm trying to quit windows cold turkey.

Attached: web.png (819x343, 35K)

coming across js from a few years ago where authors are omitting semi-colons. has this trend died out? i've found out it's optional but even with the negatives it seems like a really bad idea.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL

>An optional fragment component preceded by an hash (#). The fragment contains a fragment identifier providing direction to a secondary resource, such as a section heading in an article identified by the remainder of the URI. When the primary resource is an HTML document, the fragment is often an id attribute of a specific element, and web browsers will scroll this element into view.

So basically angular is using hash routing to represent single page routes without a page refresh.

which middleware do you fags use for async actions in react/redux?

Attached: 1529055058994.png (500x500, 44K)

Thanks. Didn't know exactly what it was called.

I guess my real question was for Angular devs since I'm transferring from AngularJS, what'd they replace $location with in 2-6?

I am going to tell you all the process to creating your own idea.

If you have at least 6 ideas launched then ignore this. If you don't then listen.

Launching your idea is the hardest thing you will ever do. Not physically and not mentally, but motivationally. The hardest thing I have done physically is walk goat trails in afghanistan for days without sleep with a 200lb rucksack. The hardest thing mentally was deconflicting aircraft, helicopters, artillery, and mortars for an entire battalion so the rounds didn't hit aircraft or helicopters and the rounds didn't hit over 1000 soldiers in a moving element. Motivation is different. Launching your own site requires planning and willpower. It's harder.

To launch your own project you need to set a schedule. You need to tell yourself to work from time x to time y and you cannot change this. I have known so many people with good ideas that have given up halfway through. One guy had a great idea for an agile tracker. He found out someone had a similar website already launched, so he gave up. The thing about this guy is he worked for a company that launched an inferior product decades after the competitors launched their superior product. They are now the 3rd largest nationally and are making over 100 million a year. It doesn't matter if you have competitors if you have motivation. If you can sell your product then you will make money.

Flesh out your idea exactly as it needs to be made, wireframe everything down to the smallest detail. There can be no room for change. Decide exactly how it needs to be. This process can take a month, easily. You should sleep on ideas to find out if they are the best idea. Once you start programming then you need to change nothing. Set your time to program and keep at it and never skip a day. That's the only way to finish a large project. You need to focus on the 'why' while you are doing this.

Why are you launching this product? Why do you want this money? What will happen if you don't get this money? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? These questions are important and something you must ask yourself every day if you want to win. Feel free to ask some questions.