Do any of you have one of these? How does it perform on linux? Does the 4g work on linux...

Do any of you have one of these? How does it perform on linux? Does the 4g work on linux? What distros have you tested with it?

Attached: gemini_ub.jpg (640x360, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_613003.html
github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/DebuggingMobile
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cute

Attached: 153031065144261.png (167x151, 24K)

>no trackpad/point
worthless, why even bother with x?
using that tiny touchscreen on linux would be a fucking nightmare

where's the windows key?

Just enlarge the gui

Is it x86? Would be nice to have a pocket sized Haiku machine.
Price?

>x86
>phone

I have a GPD Win, Win 2 and Pocket.
What does that Gemini thing do that a smartphone with a clip on bluetooth controller can't do?

Attached: Laughing Whore.jpg (762x900, 161K)

What you want is a GPD Win.
Pic not related, it's a superior, less expensive version of OPs device.

Attached: Comfy_pandora.jpg (2560x1440, 994K)

Pretty sure the same keybinds work that's on desktop. At least window management shouldn't be an issue then.

Natively run a desktop linux OS that is not postmarketOS on a 9 year old device.

There are x86 android phones with atom processors bro

>ARM
into the trash

Colour me surprised. I never really cared about phones

>What does that Gemini thing do that a smartphone with a clip on bluetooth controller can't do?
dual boot into linux, run linux programs in a vm

yeah just without the phone and android support

Nowadays we even have M3 that shits on ARM in terms of performance while still being efficient plus x86.

Why do we get this shit? Why can't we have comy UMPCs anymore?

Attached: 1504219229505.png (644x665, 468K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

ARM is the future
>having moving parts in your electronics
disgusting

x86 can be cooled passively as well. There are m3-6Y30 tablets without any moving parts.

lol

yeah have fun navigating the web with keybinds

this machine is not even worth calling a umpc.

I was considering the pyra when it comes out but ths keyboard on the gemini is what made me decide against the pyra

just throw i3 on it, problem solved

Lol is not a rebuttal and you could also just carry a stylus with you

yeah good call i'll be sure to bring an unofficial stylus too everywhere i go because some lazy ass cash grabbing company decided to put a touchscreen instead of something useful like a trackpoint on it. so much for "ultra mobile personal computing".

>tiling wm on a 6" display

lmao i was just about to say this
you dumb as hell boy

Attached: 3v43v45.jpg (588x823, 62K)

So it dualboots from Android to Linux?

Theirs no Linux CPU drivers (Yet) because MediaTek. The 4G does work on Linux. So does calling (via ofono). I have tested only Ubuntu.

Sailfish OS is what I use for now until Linux CPU drivers are available.

Attached: GPDA_.png (858x621, 636K)

>something useful like a trackpoint

Attached: 1524862254316.png (684x529, 134K)

ARM

There are Intel Atom phones

It's shit.

You can triple boot Android/Linux/Sailfish
Dual boot is by a hardware button, triple boot via CLI commands.

So why would I want this over the Pocket 2 that has a M3-6?

I have one, I consider it to be mostly worthless garbage. The linux support is almost non existent (contrary to their indiegogo campaign) and seems to be unlikely to go anywhere. The built in android updater is filled with chinglish, the boot loader is garbage they supply random windows binaries to interact with.

It's sort of unfortunate because I was very excited to replace my Sony Vaio P that's been running on some really sketchy repacked cells (not LiPo, Lithium Ion). The hardware is built pretty nicely and the keyboard feels good for the size.

Attached: 069bd9af-b2ec-476e-a23a-c9c87ef9f009.jpg (1536x1152, 219K)

I thought using it as a steam link device would be sort of fun, which it is, but the latency is way up there compared with an actual steam link, despite them both using hardware decoding. ~16ms on the 1080TI + Steam Link versus 40ms or more for the Gemini.

Attached: IMG_1820.webm (568x320, 466K)

Attached: 98259ac1-e399-4cba-be26-ba28462ea231-1.jpg (1536x1152, 276K)

>Sony Vaio P
I bought one last year because I thought it'd run decently on linux but holy hell was I wrong, you can't even run it headless without getting massive lag spikes.

How weird, I'm only getting 20ms on my GPD Win (non 2).

does all the meme hardware like gyro and gps work?

is that over wireless?

I agree with you, the Linux support on my N900 is even miles better.

>I bought one last year because I thought it'd run decently on linux but holy hell was I wrong, you can't even run it headless without getting massive lag spikes.

>I bought one last year because I thought it'd run decently on linux but holy hell was I wrong, you can't even run it headless without getting massive lag spikes.

It worked well for what I was doing. most of my work is doing extremely large postgres wrangling and moving around hundreds of terabytes of web crawls, so I'm never going to be doing that on a laptop anyway. with a really basic window manager and `mosh` things turned out pretty well, I was able to fix things from random places in europe on the thing without having to haul out a full sized laptop to random coffee shops in france / italy.

>does all the meme hardware like gyro and gps work?

GPS seems to work to some extent, the magnets that compress the keyboard when the lid are closed fuck with the magnetometer. due to the layout of the thing the GPS doesn't work that well because the antenna seems to be in the screen, which isn't facing the sky in normal use.

>is that over wireless?

yes, 5GHz to an APU2, then hardline coax to the server in the roof running a windows virtual machine that has pass through access to a physical GPU.

I gave up completely and bought a X1 carbon, replaced the LTE card with one that actually works in linux, and called it a day. for some reason you have to flash the BIOS to get Debian to boot on it, but other distros work out of the box. it's larger obviously, but still incredibly light and doesn't require any fuckery.

If the Gemini is so shit, what should I buy instead?
It seems perfect for what I want, but I don't really follow this stuff.

I'm mostly attracted to the dualboot function where you can switch from android to linux, because I want to be able to have a phone when it matters but in most other cases I just want to run Linux.

Attached: 34572137725.jpg (1066x1600, 453K)

>Does the 4g work on linux?
you fucking retard, the device was designed and advertised to run gnu+linux why the FUCK wouldn't 4g, another main feature wouldn't work?
jesus christ.

gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_613003.html

Can you boot android on it and does it have sim-card function?

Stretch marks on the milkies, MILKIES!

Saggy milkies too, and big areolas.

Attached: BsmHI__IgAEp127.jpg large.jpg (1024x1537, 254K)

nope
the only umpcs that ive found with sim are the gemini and pyra

Fuck, I'd get it if the Linux support was better.

>you fucking retard, the device was designed and advertised to run gnu+linux why the FUCK wouldn't 4g, another main feature wouldn't work?
>jesus christ.

it was advertised to have proper linux.

>Do any of you have one of these?
yes
>How does it perform on linux?
not well right now
>Does the 4g work on linux?
yes for data, possibly no for calls, can't remember. didn't put a sim in mine yet
>What distros have you tested with it?
mine dual boots android and debian. it needs explicit support, you can't just put any distro on it. it also has support for sailfish, and there are private builds being worked on for ubuntu and postmarketOS

I'm planning to use i3wm or sway with it once the software situation improves a bit

gonna insist that it's not a phone, largely because it has a wifi-only version, and PDA is in the name

I consider it a UMPC, personally

forgot to mention: all the proper hardware support is android only. they work around this with libhybris which takes android stuff to get hardware support on sailfish and debian. this means non-free blobs and an ancient kernel. really shitty situation, honestly.

they said it had 4g and linux, not 4g on linux
i have seen no video evidence of 4g working on linux and other linux support is sketchy

github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/DebuggingMobile

It's a ripoff, keep away. It will never gain enough popularity to actually have proper support and once they sell out, they will forget about it.

it was only worth the price if you backed it desu. it's waaay too expensive for what it is

Attached: 1434822960480.jpg (758x759, 63K)

Its not x86

Can’t believe these things are so expensive.