Can somebody redpill me on AMD in 2018, both GPU and CPU, especially when it comes to gaming and productivity on Linux

Can somebody redpill me on AMD in 2018, both GPU and CPU, especially when it comes to gaming and productivity on Linux.

Attached: 53863A_AMD_E_Blk_RGB[1].png (821x197, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-XDC2017
packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-misc-nonfree
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029484/linux/-various-all-distros-numerous-performance-amp-rendering-issues-on-390-25/post/5245135/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Disable_framebuffer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>redpill me on AMD in 2018
Intel is run by Jews

>Linux
>gaming

>Linux
>productivity

>AMD

Really good support in Linux. Their GPU drivers are in the kernel now and open source so they just werk unlike novidya's proprietary drivers that break your install each update. Just use the latest kernel (so rolling release distro or use some GUI kernel updater in Ubuntu)

Reddit spacing and shitposting won't make you fit in

I question AMD mostly (ignoring all the memes) because logical increments just drops all AMD products in any tier higher than superb.

Site is run by an Intel shill. I guess you can go Intel if you really want that 5% more fps and 20C hotter temps. AMD is a good all around CPU but Intel beats it if you want the highest possible frames. AMD GPUs are decent but they draw a lot of power (Vega series) and can be costly because of miners. Their lower tier GPUs (like 470/480) are bretty gud for the price. 1080TI is still king tho

/thread

Throw it in the garbage, it's part of the botnet, trust only on Talos II Workstation, Power 9 processors.

Vega GPUs are better at compute tasks than 1080Tis and cheaper.

>pricetag on the vega64 is double the rx580

As always, cheaper but totally outclassed by the opposition in performance terms and use a ton of power by comparison. It's basically a question of whether you want the best (Intel/Nvidia) or whether saving a few bucks is worth turning your room into a sauna.

cpu = good
gpu = alright at msrp
gpu (vega) = native drivers in the Linux kernel

Fedora works. You don't have to deal with the autism of rolling release to get fast kernel updates.

CPU is better than Intel because better multi-core, significantly less CPU bugs. For gaming they're fine as long as you have fast RAM.
GPUs are less efficient than nVidia, but have more stable drivers. If you're on Linux AMD GPUs are your only choice due to how shit nVidia is on Linux.

Their Ryzen CPUs are really good so you won't see a difference between those and Intel CPUs, but due to less bugs they're safer to use (recently an Intel ME bug was found which lets code over HTTP to take over the CPU).

Does only vega have native drivers?

I dont know if other generations have been added yet, but they did intend to.

wait for 7nm AMD it's gonna fucking murder intel

No reason to wait. It's a drop in replacement

yeah but why buy a CPU now if the next gen is right around the corner? and Nvidia/AMD are both about to drop new GPUs anyways so I'd hold off on a build

cpu next gen is next year user

Aren't Intel's new processors rumoured for announcement in August?

why are you waiting? industrial heater technology is quite simple and has been available for around a century now.

No one is excited for a thermonuclear radiator and an i7 w/o hyperthreading or 14+++++++++nm unless you are the biggest Intel shill around

unless you need nvidia-only things like CUDA, amd gpus are the best choice for use in linux, they're foss, fast, stable, and stick to common standards. you can use any kernel you like, and you have access to gallium nine
not sure about cpu specifics, since i switched to amd cpus before i got into linux, and haven't had an intel-based desktop since the pentium 4 days

>unless you need nvidia-only things like CUDA, amd gpus are the best choice for use in linux, they're foss, fast, stable, and stick to common standards.

Actually AMD GPU are NOT foss, they have proprietary blobs even with the open source drivers.

You have to use Nvidia and nouveau to have a completely open source gpu.

AMD users like to spread FUD about how free and open source AMD is and Stallman literally boycotts their products.

amdgpu and radeon support nearly all AMD GPUs. Quality is another matter though (some older pre-GCN GPUs perform slowly and they still haven't fixed it)

Attached: tripshit.jpg (1312x1740, 599K)

test

>they're foss, fast
to be clear, the drivers are foss, and they're fast relative to nvidia foss drivers (though these days they're just fast in general, beating the non-free amggpu-pro driver in some cases)

>AMD users like to spread FUD about how free and open source AMD is and Stallman literally boycotts their products
Not like nvidia is any different/better. Are the chips on the gpu and the firmware open?

Attached: intel.jpg (1846x1923, 607K)

test2

Actually the nouveau drivers are different, they don't rely on firmware blobs while AMD's do.

I find AMD GPUs struggle with particles. I have an RX 580.

>the drivers are foss
Except for that proprietary software that they need to function, which makes them not foss.

lel

If you are going to use proprietary drivers you may as well just use nvidia, better support.

How much are you gonna embarrass yourself? Nouveau project begs Nvidia to gives them firmware so they can actually use power management and whatnot.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-XDC2017

They already have the firmware, that's how they reverse engineer registers to support power management.

You clearly have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and just dogfood people bullshit about how free AMD is.

:)

>The nouveau driver itself is entirely free software. On recent GPUs though it needs to load proprietary firmware into the GPU; see the list of NVIDIA blobs in the firmware-misc-nonfree package’s description in Debian. The “state of Nouveau” presentation from last year’s XDC covers some of the issues.

packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-misc-nonfree

But I guess that's no issue with your GT8800, lmao

Hey at least there is a way to get open source support on Nvidia cards, you can't at all with AMD.

Which was my entire point.

Nice backpedaling, nigger.

Your the one trying to argue that nouveau is non-free in retaliation to me calling AMD drivers non-free.

The only difference is that I'm right and your being pedantic.

I'm looking at getting a 580 for a second build. How do you like it?

>AMD drivers are free!
>lolno they need nonfree firmware, Nvidia is free
>lolno they also need nonfree firmware or they don't even work, and even with that they perform like Intel GMA
>b-but muh 13 year old GPU..

new Zen+ threadripper and 7nm Vega are coming out in q3. Zen 2 is ~6-8 months away but if new GPUs only start dropping towards q4 it'll be worth the wait. I think they said one of the two is coming out in August. 1180s are also allegedly coming out in q3

zen 2 is supposed to have better IPC, right?

If Intel cannot increase IPC neither can AMD, don't bet on it

rumors say ~10-15%

>Stallman literally boycotts their products
stallman recommends and owned a laptop that had amd chipset.... and there's a shitload of proprietary firmware in that.

Wrong. Zen is a new design (i.e. they haven't been milking the same uarch since 2013) and there's lots of optimizations to do. Zen2 was slated to compete with Ice Lake, and Zen+ had a 5% IPC increase over 1st gen Ryzen.

Actually if you use the proprietary drivers they perform excellently. You only use nouveau if you are a freetard that cares about using only open source and doesn't play steam games, same with any of the AMD gpus.

is that 15% more over Zen or 15% more over Zen+?

You mean the same AMD that increased IPC a few months ago with Zen+ with only microcode without touching the core or uncore physically?

Amazing, right? Imagine what happens when they actually start widening execution resources next time!

Amd: more cores
Intel: more single core speed
Nvidia: better performance, availability, value, support and optimization
Amd: uhhhhhhhh better rendering?
Amd cpu nvidia gpu masterrace here

Attached: 1528492812039.jpg (20x20, 796)

Why buy a CPU then when new ones will come a year later???
If everyone just waits then nobody buys, and nothing comes.

Moving the goalpost again, now you suddenly don't care about the free(haha) drivers and the blob is fine.
Check any phoronix article and you'll see that amdgpu performs great in games, without the shitty botnet blob that is impossible to use on any fast distro Nvidia needs.

I personally only use proprietary nvidia drivers as they perform the best with games.

Its just ironic that you tout AMD as free'er than Nvidia when its a bold faced lie.

Of course it is, Nvidia needs a to shit up your system to have decent performance, while AMD drivers comes with the kernel, you can use the 'free' nouveau driver, but your performance is somewhere between 2007 and 2005

Actually the support is better with the nvidia proprietary drivers, seemless kms and efi framebuffer support, which you basically can't get with any AMD drivers, not to mention all the games that glitch out or crash.

Its cute that you think AMD works better or even well though.

Attached: tard.jpg (1024x512, 71K)

>gaming and productivity
>Linux

Attached: Barry Cuda _ Suite Retreat.mkv_snapshot_06.26_[2018.07.28_22.48.50].png (849x677, 463K)

kms and efi framebuffer have been used by free drivers for years, even nouveau had them before nvidia, lmao.

Kek, Nvidia can't even get their 2D drivers working, not that they care, AI/ML run headless anyway.
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1029484/linux/-various-all-distros-numerous-performance-amp-rendering-issues-on-390-25/post/5245135/

moron

PAJEEEET, COME BACK TO YOUR ROOM NOW!

You say that but the AMD kms support is broken if you use the efi-framebuffer while Nvidia co-existed with it even before they added kms support so at least it worked.

I'm building a twin Vega FE liquid cooled setup, fuck the 1080Ti. Better or not, it could never be the king while their drivers are dogshit social media-run cancer, and the company that makes it is just horrible to support now a days. I've been a massive NVIDIA fan for a long time, but I can't wait to ditch the 1070 and get my vegas running.

Particles are typically CPU bound...

From what I see there's no issue with the efi-framebuffer, in fact I see people recommending disabling it on nvidia.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Disable_framebuffer

But since you're harping on about that half a second it takes from grub to kernel load like it's very important, you've pretty much run out of arguments, are we done now? Or do you have to fix your distro again now that you accidentally updated nvidia before they put xorg and kernel support in place? Maybe you only use LTS because anything else is difficult to maintain on nvidia? Or do you not update at all? Amazing experience with nvidia, I say.

Hmmm...

Attached: ohnonono.png (359x154, 5K)

Reminder to filter tripfags and to not fall for their retardation

reminder to quote them so people already filtering them don't get your meaningless response

Their CPUs are fine. AMD video drivers are still shit as always. Sticking to Intel, followed by Nvidia is the best bet.

amd - based and redpilled
intel - cucked and bluepilled

CHECKED

Attached: 1529567124804.jpg (757x627, 87K)

Is this bait?
Nvidia drivers always support RC versions of Xorg and have for decades.

Literally making my points for me, AMD are the ones that release support for Xorg late and constantly cause you to fall back to the modesetting drivers.

>on Linux
It's good.

amd gpu redpill
>ever noticed how vega 64 is reviewed against the 1080ti on 98% of the sites, and 80%+ don't even feature the 1080?

>satan dislikes jews
toplul

Is the amdgpu-pro driver supposed to be better than the regular open source driver?

2700X + Vega56 is the ultimate setup.

Only for OpenCL, worse in 3D.
ROCm is for ML stuff, though it seems it will be included in the regular driver sooner or latter.

i think the main reason to use it is OpenCL
for OpenGL it's worse, and with Vulkan it's just barely better
if you don't use OpenCL, you'll probably be better off overall with amdgpu/radeonsi

>tiny firmware is closed source and everything else is open source.
Not only the non-free parts are small and replasable, but there are also efforts to reverse engineer them

>You have to use Nvidia and nouveau to have a completely open source gpu.
Oh you mean an old Nvidia just to have either poor perfomance, or try luck with the experimental reclocking support and risk having the computer freeze randomly and still only get 60% of the closed source drivers.

It's more than enough for gaming.
As a matter of fact, you're way more likely to be GPU limited than CPU unless you play medium/low, on pajeet config to get meme 144Hz.
Don't buy Vega, it's fucking garbage, and abandonware even at AMD.
Not half of its advertised features have been implemented in drivers. As it stands, it's just a giant RX580 that overheats.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with AMD in 2018 if you want to play 1080p.
Let's just set lower limits at R7-2600X+RX570.
With that, you even have margin for years ahead, as console desperately try to 4k.

>CPUs
well it's a CPU, what the fuck do you expect it to do differently under Linux?
>GPUs
best free drivers, performance almost at the level of Nvidia's proprietary drivers

You can actually install only the opencl stuff from amdgpu-pro, there's a PKGBUILD in the AUR.

Are you the kind of guy who likes to buy cheap bottom of the barrel tier garbate and then spend all your free time telling others how you actually made the best choice hoping you can fool yourself? If yes, then go full AMD.

(You). 0/10. You need better bait than that.

Attached: 1532708843882.png (640x360, 102K)

Ryzen CPUs are shit for gaming due to the latency of the infinity fabric.

if you care for arcade game emulation dont get a AMD GPU

Ryzen is very well unless you are a gaymer and need 10 FPS more for your 144 Hz experience. 1440p and 4K are fine. Buy Ryzen 1 cheap if you convert movies and only need multicore.

GPU can be nice, I bought a 480, but it needs tweaking. It runs on 1 V now, more silent, efficient and same performance due to no throttling. The 580 is even worse if you don't undervolt.

Gaming on Linux doesn't exist. Unless you mean old Valve games. Then a 480 should be more than enough. For AAA gaming you still want a 1080 Ti, I have one too and it barely archieves 50-60 FPS.

Intel cpus are shit overall.

Well, devs will just have to deal with it. Intel is going to do the same in a few years (they already do, sorta).

epic nigger tech.

per core or overall

per core

Intel will last 5 years at most from now.
They're just too fucked on how much their cores cost vs the concurrence.

last good from AMD was AMD FX

AMD open-source Linux GPU drivers have actually become the top tier in their category in the last few years. Nvidia closed source ones are still better than AMD closed source ones if you are less puritanical about that sort of thing.

As of 4.17 or 4.18, vanilla kernel has mode setting and working HDMI/DP audio for recent AMD cards, which is pretty damn nice.

But yeah, you're still limited to rather second rate hardware going down that path.

IPC doesn't work like that

You should follow the guy that runs the site. Fucking genius. Really inspiring

Doesn't every gpu suffer from it? Find me a link with proof, please.

Initially I was feeling quite pro AMD but posts like these have turned me back off.