Why is IRC so superior?

Why is IRC so superior?

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x474, 16K)

open source

/thread

Botnet can't track/spy you.

It just werkz and has been around for decades whereas FOTW proprietary chat systems die in a few years

IRC is a standard, so open source implementations can be created

all the important people are there.

you have to have a high IQ just to turn it on

But I can turn it on.

I don't know what you're saying it's superior TO since you didn't specify, but I do know that it isn't Matrix.

OP clearly means things like Discord, Facebook, Twitter I'm guessing.

bullshit protocol with bullshit clients

Minimalism at its finest

If it was that great, we wouldn’t have the freenode pedo spammers all over Rizon

its simple
lots of clients avaliable
easy to create bots

What do you guys use IRC for?

Discussion.

It's Finnish

Attached: 1482178372365.gif (248x203, 96K)

Specifically I mean. I've never used it, that's why I'm asking. Are you in some Jow Forums Jow Forums chat or something like this? Or technology forums, or other chats about some other interest of yours?

Freenode has the official channels for so many linux distros and all sorts of shit, dev channels, Freenode is where it's at

Oh, I'll look into it, I'm interested in giving IRC a try. What program do you use? Is there any good guide about getting into IRC? Software, maybe VPN (I don't know If its needed or not), channels, etc.

IRC as a protocol is fucked. The standard is bullshit, nobody follows it completely. The authentication protocols tacked onto it (nickserv) are trash. And netsplits, what the fuck.
IRC as a community is pretty good. You don't find a lot of total retards on it.

It's kinda like Usenet. Started as the only real option, then kinda died as far superior alternatives arrived. But the actually passionate people remained and kept it alive. Now it's too old for normies to ever consider, but in many ways it's far superior regardless of the underlying technology due to community.

it's not, everyone can get your public IP easily