So, is Gentoo a meme?

Do people who say "Install Gentoo" in every thread say it ironically? What's the deal with Jow Forums's obsession with that distro? What are its qualities anyway?

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

Install gentoo and find out

install gentoo

go back

it's a shit distro if you're a busy person. it's ok if you're a neet. I'm a neet and i love gentoo

Gentoo is autist - the OS.
You install everything manually and then compile everything yourself.
I.E. maximum customization for faggots on Jow Forums.
If you want more information, install Gentoo.

you'll probably hop around to a few distros, try out some unix-likes, but eventually we all come home to gentoo
>Do people who say "Install Gentoo" in every thread say it ironically?
it's a joke. we don't want you.
>What's the deal with Jow Forums's obsession with that distro? What are its qualities anyway?
you compile from source and USE flags

you know what to do

Install gentoo

Install gentoo and realize its a waste of time to get everything working so you go back to windows?

Perhaps you should install first then ask again the question

>go back to windows?
no. You'll never do this. It's retarded. Are you retarded?

Chrome OS is based on Gentoo.

Attached: ChromeOS.png (1639x498, 267K)

You wouldn't come back to winblows if you manage to install gentoo

Install HDD destroyer

With botnet included and no choice of certain software because they force you to use google products and services

I dont know how to break it to you guys. I'll just say it. I went back to windows...

>say it ironically?
no
>What's the deal
once you get the hang of it it just works
> its qualities anyway?
sizeable repo, acoustic customization, can be as stable or as retarded as you want, good documentation
just install it you pussy

Slackware is actually better than Gentoo.
And if you want truly full customization, Linux From Scratch.
These are the two best options for systemdless distros. Gentoo is such an inbetween that it's pretty much out of the question.

You wouldn't back to windows if you installed it successfully

Why do people hate systemd? Is it evil?

Look kids, its a bewildered neckbeard in its natural habitat.

It severely slows the system down and it has a tendency to crash things.

>basically proven himself to be a liar

Attached: 1376456719796_0.gif (480x270, 1.88M)

It goes against the UNIX philosophy, it's huge - huge attack surface, uses google dns by default..

lol, no he didn't you retard. For someone who claims to be smart for using linux you're pretty dumb.

>newfag level samefagging

How does that prove I'm a liar exactly?

Scratch that, nobody lies in the internet

Except you just did saying that I lied and you have proof.

This is not true.

>t. Ultra Nerd who complains he doesn't get laid

It's unironically good, I love it. The only thing that takes time is the initial setup then it's very stable t.busy person

>lying in the internet
Why would you do this?

what are flags, like making some partitions not able to run files? I guess I could do that on arch but I haven't bothered. Gonna use Gentoo if I ever have a problem with arch. Altough I feel stupid blindly installing from the AUR because you can't see the actual code of it, even though the arch admins approve it idk it doesn't feel completely, but still that would be just skip using aur and scripting my own shit.

After the initial setup it's extremly comfy

Attached: 1531377794382.jpg (453x410, 88K)

the majority of programs have use flags, which are like optional pieces of code to achieve some functionality. install vim in arch; you can't copy to clipboard because arch's version of vim was compiled without the X use flag. now you need to install gvim, which was compiled with the X flag. in gentoo, you just tell it's equivalent of pacman to compile it with the X use flag. so you switch to gentoo, and you install some program you use that you cannot get to work as you're used to. enjoy spending over 9000 hours on the internet until you figure out that you need to enable the 'cups' use flag on the 'imlib2' package that you never actively installed because it just came in as a dependency of fuck knows what

Attached: moi.jpg (825x959, 76K)

so at the end a neet distro? I thought the "packet manager" of gentoo at least resolved dependencies, what the fuck

There are a few anons who love Gentoo and swear by it, but aside from that it's definitely a meme.

If you fall into the linux distrohopping rabbithole you soon realize that there are ways you'd like a distro to be but also realize every distro limits you some way. With gentoo you can "have it your way" so to speak. I definitely don't advise using gentoo if youre a busy person but for a neet its great.

On my resume I've put successfully installed gentoo as one of my acheivments

absolutely a neet distro. i would never be able to use it if i was short on time.
as for the package manager, it does resolve dependencies, but not necessarily use flags. meaning that you could potentially install an image editing software and not be able to open jpg files because the 'jpeg' use flag wasn't automatically set. it's an absurd example, usually the problem is more obscure than that. I'm making it sound worse than it actually is, but for first time users getting to grips with use flags, resolving this shit is enough of a layer of friction and a time sink to scare them away for good

>On my resume I've put successfully installed gentoo as one of my acheivments
"Uhh yes we will call you"
>user leaves crying
"wew that sure was a creep gonna advice my buddies at other companies to blacklist him"

>On my resume I've put successfully installed gentoo as one of my acheivments

Attached: 300pxInto_the_trash_it_goes_card1.jpg (300x418, 30K)

>on my resume I've put successfully installed gentoo as one of my acheivments

Attached: 1529875258037.jpg (540x393, 17K)

don't install gentoo

Yes. Install Crux!

Attached: crux1.jpg (723x1024, 149K)

install ubuntu (unironically)

Install Devuan

the best thing about software freedom is: anyone can make a Linux Distro

the worst thing about software freedom is: anyone can make a Linux Distro

thats why there are hundreds of distros, most of which are just copies of other distros with rebranding and changed themes, other than that they are 99% debian or 99% ubuntu, or some other distro, and most of them are shit tier bugfest distros,

or some unique distro like gentoo that has an overly complicated install procedure with lots of compiling and if you miss one little flag or do one little thing wrong the whole fucking thing has to be wiped off the drive and started over from scratch, i would not touch gentoo with a stolen computer

i would rather run debian, 15 minutes to install and boot up and fully functional distro without all the tedious and long winded instructions to compile,i have better things to do with my time than to muck thorough that

gentoo is my cozy little nest
i built it twig by twig
it has blue AND yellow ¯ ω¯

Attached: 1509719655298.jpg (640x640, 27K)