Studying computer engineer

>studying computer engineer
>no career goals at the moment
Installing a lot of tools, and given the option between Vim/Nano for console text editing. (Git, for example, doesn't offer Vi or Emacs)
Is there one that it is worth my time to learn due to common usage, or is this something that is normally left to personal preference?

Attached: CYNTyClWkAAOV__.png (600x338, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration#_code_core_editor_code
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> is this something that is normally left to personal preference?
yes
>Git, for example, doesn't offer Vi or Emacs
????

When installing, you get options
>Nano
>vim by default
>Notepad++
>Visual Studio

You aren't making any sense. Git doesn't install a text editor for you.

>Git doesn't install a text editor for you

Attached: NoTextEditor.png (499x387, 14K)

git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration#_code_core_editor_code

That's great. I literally just showed you a window where it gives you an option between text editors.
The fact that, if you already have it installed, it will use your default text editor has literally zero relevance to the question I posted.

The hell? It's not locking you in. It's the default for commit messages and shit, you can use other editors. Also, windows.

>not using windows when developing and testing for windows
Lemme guess, install gentoo? Fuck off.

That image is unfair to nano. Nano is very nice and /minimal/ by design. I use emacs primarily because I find hackin in elisp to be comfy, and org mode is very feature rich. Though I kind of wish I was instead using vi/nano and rolling my own useful scripts, instead of relying on emacs (and yes, I know the two are not mutually exclusive).

what editor it uses is just a setting, you can change it after installation

Learn git (commits, merge resolving, rebases, push force and such)
Learn to set and read environment variables through console.
Learn to read logs with grep and tail.
And dont depend too much on your project leader for technical assistance.

Emacs has built in support for git

Eh, Nano is alright. I'd like to get into Esc Meta Alt Ctrl Shift, but it kinda annoys me.

Imagine being so cucked that a program feels sorry for you and installs you a new shell

Being able to use the most basic features of vi and emacs it's pretty useful and it's sometimes considered by a few employers, proficiency (scripting and other features) are pretty much always left to personal preferences

That's not installing any of those editors. That is setting the default editor to open when doing things like commit messages. Jesus Jow Forums is retarded.

>spent 15 months in prison eating with a spork
>use nano to edit conf files and write short text files and notes

>wanting to use terminal based text editors on windows
stop

>Git, for example, doesn't offer Vi or Emacs
Are you retarded? You can set EDITOR to the editor you want to use, or you can set core.editor with git config.

people who don't know what they are doing don't know nano exists