Tech job general

You are only allowed to post ITT if you're one of the 2% users here that aren't NEET.

Whats your job?
What exactly do you do?
Do you like it?
Which parts do you hate?
Whats your next career goal?

Attached: dsadasdasd.jpg (312x162, 7K)

>Whats your job?
android dev

>What exactly do you do?
code, sit through meetings where i "take notes" aka shitpost

>Do you like it?
its comfy

>Which parts do you hate?
meetings, everything that is not coding

>Whats your next career goal?
don't know yet. I like what I do and climbing the ladder means more management shit

> Whats your job?
Tech Jack-of-all-trades

> What exactly do you do?
Manage critical systems, write software, web dev, teach people how to use software, whatever asked to do.

> Do you like it?
Sure. Lots of variety.

> Which parts do you hate?
Working with people that can't define their software requirements and make objectively bad decisions on how they'd like the software to function.

> Whats your next career goal?
Work for myself.

>Whats your job?
Army..network systems operator

>What exactly do you do?
Establish the network wherever they send me and maintain it

>Do you like it?
Very easy and all the equipment is commercial so more experience is always good.

Dumb people make dumb decisions and get in the way. Trying to make signal units operate like infantry units to prove we're just as good when all of us signal guys don't give a fuck cause we're already smarter than the infantry guys so why would we care if we can ruck or run faster than them? Makes no sense to me.

I finish up my bachelor's at the end of next year and they're gonna pay for my masters right after. So both debt free and then hopefully I'll get out and find a decent job.

>Whats your job?
full stack inc mobile

>What exactly do you do?
design & code

>Do you like it?
When I can be alone in my bubble yes

People in tech

Doing something physical/manual

>Doing something physical/manual
Fuck I know that feel
I made my hobby into a job and now I want to do something simple that puts food on the table. Something that's not a full time headache/at worst one or two days go bad

Programmer
Write code
Yes
Sometimes I need to write documentation and other boring shit
I just want to keep programming

- Help desk cuck

- Answer / forward emails, take a few phone calls per day

- No

- All of it

- Maybe get a CCNA

Industrial designer and application engineer
Design consumer stuff, design industrial machinery for the company
I love it
Bespoke products, the client changes his mind every fucking then "oh I really like what you did, but I don't want to do it this way anymore" leeches time from everything else
Creating my own company that sells stuff designed by me

>Whats your job?
Web Designer and Developer

What exactly do you do?
Give design advice to full stack devs, code react components, research ux topics

Do you like it?
Pays more than my last job

Which parts do you hate?
I rarely get to design anything to completion, I mostly focus more on user experience

Whats your next career goal?
Not sure, just got my current position

>Whats your job?
Software Engineer (telecomms)
>What exactly do you do?
Documentation monkey - design, manuals, menial shit, meetings

>Do you like it?
I like the fact that even a brainlet like me can pretend to do big-boy stuff when I can't even code (despite being the only non-programmer in the team).

Flashes of crazy deadlines and periods of no sensible work to do. Also the fact that I'm too dumb and unwilling to learn to code (java).

Probably change fields entirely, not sure if I want to rebrand as a coder, and remaining a telecomms engineer just doesn't seem like a particularly enticing choice.

GIS rookie/data analysis

Process data from real object information collection. Sort and filter in Excel, make pretty boundaries in QGIS.

It's easy and I've learned a lot. Got a degree in Civil Engineering but didn't really apply myself in school or network, shit resume so no comfy civil engineer jobs.

Long commute

Get these projects managed well. Learn more Excel, VBA, learn python/coding in general.

I'm in GIS too. Do you think you'll be staying in GIS long-term, or make the transition to more data science/coding-based IT? GIS seems like a somewhat competitive/underpaid industry, and I've heard that the best way to get a raise as a GIS developer is to drop the GIS from your title.

>Whats your job?
LoRa IoT development engineer

>What exactly do you do?
I assess equipment suitability, test end user devices via COFDM and spectral analysis as well as plan deployments and say yay or nay on hardware & network services to be used.

>Do you like it?
It's pretty good so far, I've told Cisco to suck my balls and saved literally millions on equipment, no one but my boss understands what I do nor cares to understand so I've got almost free reign and a big sway in the decision making process.

I have to talk business bullshit and buzzwords with vendors, AWS and other suppliers, dealing with the normallos in my office is difficult without common ground between development engineering and their (accountancy, 'sales', HR, etc etc)

Continue / finish my degree & find something similar that pays well, gives me a 4 day work week (ideal goal post degree) and allows me free reign to research/test to my hearts' content.

Attached: LORA1.jpg (613x381, 13K)

>Whats your job?
python/machine learning developer
>What exactly do you do?
write python scripts utilizing machine learning libraries for a warehouse inventory optimization system
>Do you like it?
i hate it because all my managers give me too much time for work so im bored all the time
boredom
a business system developer (in-house or something like MS dyn AX)

Can you guys bestow some wisdom to this 18 year old younganon who just wants to get a good tech job after college?

Attached: 1516944171364.png (500x590, 19K)

start a drug selling webstore in deepweb

> Whats your job?
IT Director.
Manage development teams.
> Do you like it?
Sure.
The 'job' part of it, it sucks balls to work.
To not have a career and avoid work altogether.
I buy lottery tickets sometimes.
I'm also trying to get my wife to complete an MD because I could leach of her then but it's a long way to go.

>Whats your job?
Software engineer
>What exactly do you do?
Coding, debugging, optimizing performance and safety of our software, devopsy tasks (working on build and deployment processes and containerization), and planning the team's work
>Do you like it?
Yes
Idiots who get in my way, and people who contribute poor code
Senior software engineer, and getting to work on more complex problems, I wouldn't mind getting to work with C++ although I don't know it very well currently

How would enabling degenerates help me get a job?

serve your time in tech support (no more than 2/3 years) and pick an area to focus on: hardware, softare, database, wireless, security, etc

Don't do tech support more than 3 years.

Also don't take any shit from other techs/tech supports that join the company after you do in any field.

If you have any aspirations of becoming a developer, go for a BS in computer science. Learn as much as you can about a broad range of topics, anything from programming to networking to operating systems to business management and leadership. In college, you need to get at least 1 internship. NEED. An internship is pretty much the #1 thing you can do that will significantly increase your chances of finding a good first job. Other than that, get anything you can put on your resume - for me, 2 class projects fit the bill, one where we worked with our school's Dept of sustainability to do some project management/design work on a campus bike share system. Perhaps most importantly, learn to socialize and find your own personality, it's the most important skill I learned in college hands down because being a social creature is an incredibly useful skill for advancing your career if you're able to do it (I'm naturally an introvert but practice can really help you with that and college is the best place to learn IMO)

> Whats your job?
Consultant at IBM

I'm a full stack developer who works on creating web applications that are proof of concepts to many different clients

> Do you like it?
Love it

The job is very stressful and requires very long hours

Become a project manager or technical lead

>Whats your job?
Game Tech @ Dave&Buster's
>What exactly do you do?
Clean games; Diagnose/Fix games; Clean; Play games; Clean; Repeat
>Do you like it?
It's ight. Lots of technical knowledge to gain; Co-worker's are chill; Stay blazed all day and get praised for doin simple&complex stuff
Not enough/Haphazard hours; Spilled drinks
Stay another 1-2yrs while crafting new devices at home; then move on to more hardware embedded/C/Python/Soldering work with more money

Attached: DTOM.png (1279x727, 36K)

I'm an engineer for an intel agency

>Whats your job?
Technician helpdesk at an msp. tier 1.
>What exactly do you do?
First group to get calls. Troubleshoot and attempt to fix pretty much any and all issues from companies we manage.
>Do you like it?
not really.
It's too easy. I like a challenge and making active directory user accounts all day isn't hard.
Getting certifications and trying to get a networking or sysadmin job.

>Whats your job?
Consultant

>What exactly do you do?
DevOps, more on the Ops side

>Do you like it?
It's alright, pay is crazy high

meetings

pentest, cloud architect and/or make and sell software

Tipical web dev, forgets >

Attached: 1530855664875.jpg (495x604, 64K)

- data engineer
- data warehousing; setup, maintain and improve the data pipeline for logging and production data using ELK, Filebeat, Kafka, K8s and the like for many large scale ES/Kafka clusters, help manage the infrastructure as it is in colo on bare metal (except for portions Logstash/Kibana)
- The politicking within the office, the middle management is completely disconnected from the engineers they manage, the tons of useless people, company that touts as being a great place to work, making good money, but doesn't offer us internal equity of any kind, is starting to cut small benefits, aside from a couple most of the managers are awful "yes men" types, there's only a couple (thankfully mine and my old manager) actually seem to give a real shit, our management is actively making it harder to get to staff engineer from senior (fucking why), but we'll give out staff engineer positions like candy if you're from anywhere else like failed startups and etsy, useless meetings for shit, thankfully my team is pretty small and we like to get shit done so we don't do 99% of the bullshit other teams do, we just do fucking work
- get to senior (which will likely be in the next year or a little after), if i'm still unhappy, go somewhere else that sounds interesting, work remote possibly since I don't want to work in CA nor move again for a few years

>Whats your job?
Software Developer
>What exactly do you do?
Find ways to make our data more interesting. The last project I just wrapped up was a big data pipeline in Rust to churn all our data into a graph.
>Do you like it?
It's a lot of fun. Very hard work to optimize everything, but incredibly fulfilling.
Boss never talks to us until customer deliverables are either late or hours before being due. I think I've talked to my boss once in the past month.
Learning how to do big data using the correct tools instead of rolling all my own.
I am looking to get into data engineering. Any tips on where I can start/common mistakes? My plan was to learn scala and fuck around with spark, then move on to kafka and some of the other apache * tools, maybe learn a graph database of some sort.

What is ES? Event Store? If that's what it is, how would you compare Event Store to Kafka and other solutions? I've just started getting into Event Store but never worked with other event sourcing/message queue solutions.

What was your career path? I'm pretty close myself but was just wondering how you got there.

Any protips from you vets on getting a decent software job or internship for a 19 year old idiot?
I'm starting my second year of university (CS + Stats double major, math minor) and I feel like I'm a worthless piece of shit honestly. All my "side projects" are shitty because I don't have any good ideas or problems I need to solve, I can't even get a job at my local McDonald's. What's do?

Internships typically aren't hard to get, so just find a company that will take you and work hard.

>Whats your job?
Software Engineer Intern
>What exactly do you do?
Nothing bc I'm pretty sure my mentor has forgotten about me
>Do you like it?
Yes free money
Doing nothing
Getting a job where I do something

>You are only allowed to post ITT if you're one of the 2% users here that aren't NEET.
I mean, I'm not technically a NEET, but I definitely don't have a tech job
fuck it, whatever, here we go
>Whats your job?
Target
>What exactly do you do?
stock shelves, ticket clearance, organize/toss perishables
>Do you like it?
It's a job, and it pays better than pretty much any other retail location in my city
anything having to do with the customers (or "guests," as they have us call them)
no fucking clue, might go back to school soon

>Whats your job?
Salesforce developer

>What exactly do you do?
Maintain and add new features to software

>Do you like it?
I like the casual work environment.

The Salesforce platform is very limiting and full of bugs. There so many constraints that it feels like I'm working on old computer tech where every byte and optimization counts.

Hope I can jump to a better paying job that isn't Salesforce-related.

>What's your job?
Desktop Support at military base
>What exactly do you do?
I help people with their application/hardware/software/printer/image issues. Troubleshooting, repair, configuring, and imaging essentially.
Do you like it?
It's comfy and easy.
No upward mobility, nor does the job challenge knowledge or really expand your knowledge very much. Looks decent on a resume, though. Also having to walk to the customers' desks when you go to secret parts of the base, so you walk like half a mile one way to their desk.. especially terrible when you have to carry computers back and forth, since you can't really take dollies through the turnstiles.
Get my ass into sysadmin or security role. I've missed plenty of job opportunities because DoD contracts that aren't my job all want Security+... Next semester in college I'm taking specifically a CCNA course, so hopefully I'll have that cert soon after the new year.

>job
"Product manager" of a large website

>what exactly do you do
nothing really

>do I like it
Yes, it's a fantastic job

>which parts do I hate
none really, but god damn, customers are IDIOTS.

>next career goal
after I've done this for 18 months I'd like to return to project management or perhaps working on a smaller product with more room to grow

>job
software contractor

>what do you do
fullstack + cloud + devops + consultations
I can design and implement new stuff, maintain old stuff, provide insights on various aspects of SE and so on. Sometimes I work in a team, sometimes I lead it, other times I'm a lone wolf doing my thing.
>tl;dr I do whatever I'm paid to

>do you like it
It has its pros and cons.
>you make six figures in yorop by working 10½ months a year
>monthly income varies ±20% based on billable hours
>you never get/have to settle down (the assignments last up to a year but that's it)
>you have to learn new stuff literally every hour or every day
>you have to accept going to job interviews every year
>the expectations from you are always high
>you're always sort of an outsider in the team

>which parts do I hate
(Re-)writing test coverage for existing code (for a new testing framework).
Fixing shitty code with no documentation and incomplete information on what's supposed to be done.
Technical job interviews.

>next career goal
Get a little bit of side business going for myself. I got some ideas and I've talked to potential clientèle about their specific needs.

>Whats your job?
Mortgage Broker
>What exactly do you do?
Have interviews with people, establish whether they will be able to borrow money. If so, work with them to figure out how much they need, find a bank that suits their needs and get them their mortgage.
>Do you like it?
Don't like it but don't hate it
Long hours, stressful and have to do alot of work at home and on weekends
Start a business

>Whats your job?
Own a technology business.

>What exactly do you do?
Nothing 99% of the time. 1-2 hours a week I make sure servers are running, fix them if they aren't (have monitors that make me and my partner on call 24/7, but this only triggers once every few weeks).

>Do you like it?
What's not to like? I'm a NEET with my own business.

Waking up at 5AM to fix a server issue.

Get my second business off the ground.

>Whats your job?
Sys admin
>What exactly do you do?
Configuration, deployment, containerization, orchestration, big data.
>Do you like it?
Not at the moment but that is due to lack of challenge in the current company. Will change the company soon.
Everything management related.
Currently searching for a remote position, so that I can move to where I'd like.

I hate your product with a passion. I hope one of your biggest clients will soon switch to their in house CRM.

You realize he doesn't work for Salesforce in all likelihood, right? 90% of Salesforce devs build 3rd party integrations and customization. Also Salesforce isn't half bad compared to some of the stuff out there if you actually need a complete CRM solution for medium-large business.

I know, just venting my frustration with the product.