About to buy my first home, what smart home shit should I buy Jow Forums?

About to buy my first home, what smart home shit should I buy Jow Forums?

Attached: file.png (4495x3337, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pm33KB2Th9M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

None unless you want to be in a botnet.

None. I'm absolutely serious.

I want to be part of the botnet, enlighten me

constructive as always user

There's no good reason to want a smart house.

Nothing

Everything, but only if it can be a closed loop. No external access.

As much as you want as long as you implement it yourself.

home automation, locks, lights, heating all at the touch of a button for ease of use, why the fuck not user?

I can understand heating, but why lights and above all why locks? Remote lock access just screams security issues.

whatever stupid shit you put in your house, make sure there's manual override.

Smart houses are retarded. It mostly resumes to turning lights on or off and opening or shutting down shutters.

My workplace has some and believe me, it's shit. There are probably some other shit that's actually useful but I doubt it's worth the price.

lights just for simplicity. Turning off all the lights in the house if you forget seems pretty basic but would save a lot in electricity.

Locks because why the fuck not? If anyone is going through the trouble of hacking a lock, they may as well just bash the door in. it's just for ease of use.

Was planning this. Anything that's added should be able to be done manually, even locks if I go that far.

>believe me its shit
>no real explanation as to why it is

thanks for the input user

I have a Nest and regret it. The damn thing is retarded and keeps thinking i'm away. If you don't give it location permissions on your phone it's basically a piece of junk that will always assume you are away and turns off the AC/heating.

Expensive, useless and it's actually less functional (harder to get the shutters open or close to what you want, if power goes out fuck you that sort of shit)

oh, shutters. I'm UK based, we don't have that sorta shit on our houses

>less functional

Applies to only your shutters example and even then that's just a sign of buying a shitty product.

If you aren't an utter poorfag spending an extra $20 on plugs to control lighting isn't that big of a deal.

>enlighten
Just this. Get smart lights.

The more things that can go wrong will go wrong. Why would you want a bunch of gimmick tech in your house?

Why does Jow Forums hate technology so much?

It's going to resume to turning lights and ac on and off then.

I would highly recommend you to browse the prices for these solutions if you want any further justification to keep away from it.
There is a reason why nobody uses this shit even on higher end homes and people prefer to use Chinese smart bulbs and that sort of shit.

Most of the people here don't care about technology. A lot of them are from /x/ and that should tell you all you need to know.

literally Jow Forums is full of poorfags living with their parents. 90% of people posting in this thread have probably 0 experience with smart tech or owning a home.

because they'll most smart tech has manual overrides if it goes wrong. Why don't you want convenience user?

This, people take pride in being a NEET here. Most people have no clue about technology outside of consumer goods. It's laughable when retards say shit that is so blatantly wrong simply because they have no idea of what happens in the corporate/enterprise world.

just make that crap yourself faggot
don't buy gay little plastic crap

One of those web alarm systems that contacts the police if you don't turn it off. ADT is going to start losing customers to these.

none

>make it yourself

Great way to burn down your house.

When your smart socket inevitably gets discontinued, what's the incentive for the manufacturer to keep the "cloud" control servers running?
Millions of global requests per month probably isn't cheap for them.

iirc they're not connected to servers, just your wifi and your "smart app" or whatever the fuck controls it.

It ultimately depends on how connected to the botnet you want to be. There were people who were locked out of their houses when AWS went down a while back. There are plenty of things I think are somewhat mandatory "smart tech" these days.

Cameras and Smart thermostats are mandatory tier. The Cameras help you identify Jamal after he ransacks your place when you're at work. The Thermostats can be paired with your smartphone via tasker to control energy usage while you're out. No point in keeping the heater running full blast when you're at work. Let that shit manage itself based off your location/time tables.

The rest is "convenience" shit like smart lights and garage door openers. You can make them yourself using Raspberry Pi or other SOC but sometimes it's just mentally liberating to buy a system that doesn't need tinkering endlessly. I have a Phillip Hue lightstrip at my parents house that turns on just before sundown and corrects into a lower brightness at 11pm until sunrise when it turns off. It's fucking nice to know they will be able to see shit at night as they're pushing into their 80s.

Non argument, discarded.

That's the whole point of the system you tin foil idiot, YOU got lazy and didn't do your research. But hey, at least Google doesn't know where you are....

This from a guy I doubt can put a rasp pi snap on case together.

Own a house, you shouldnt. First thing is replace regular light bulbs with LED. Second thing after buying is save up a repair fund. Talking $1k to $10k. Dont buy worthless tech with tons of back doors.

Only IoT botnet I have is my Yeelight bulb that I use as a wake up light.

Even so, I keep it on a separate VLAN so it can’t access my home server and everything else in the house

Start small, something like a video doorbell that connects to your phone. Then consider some energy saving automation services.

probably the first decent answer, thanks user.

Thermostat was the first on my list due to bills etc, gotta keep costs down and that's probably the best way to manage it.

Haven't seen a decent smart camera yet but will be adding one a couple of months after I move in, it's a new build so I'm not worried about any break ins just yet (they'll be greeted with fuck all anyway).

Will look at smart lights, for certain rooms.

Home automation is comfy af

Can't remember the last time I had to flick a switch, turn on a fan, vacuum / mop, or physically change my thermostat

There is always a security risk but there are ways to close it off

It's a new house user, I have a decent chunk saved up for when I move in for furniture, white goods etc.

That's pretty useful advice for buying a used house though, thanks user.

Counts for new as well. Seriously, 1 bad roofing job or pipe burst and that needs to be fixed ASAP. Then you bill to insurance or builder. Otherwise you are in deep shit for weeks or even months.

covered by builders and home insurance. It gets billed to home insurance who deal with it, if it turns out to be a builders problem, it's billed to them and won't effect my premium.

dont pay top dollar for a dumb home, make them upgrade it to a smart home or signifigantly reduce the price. I mean, you arent buying all that used paint and drywall for new, are you?

Most of it is insecure and only gives you the ability to tweet from your fridge and dim the light with your hands by clapping.

Get a ChromeCast or similar for your speakers .

>only gives you the ability to tweet from your fridge and dim the light with your hands by clapping

gave me a chuckle, have a smart TV currently for TV etc and TV speakers area already sorted

I have a Phillip Hue strip at my house that functions as a "sunlight" strip. It slowly brightens on a timer starting 30 minutes before my alarm. It's a great way to wake up that doesn't involve some screeching alarm and brightens the room enough that you don't need to fuck around with actual lights.

I love the idea of a smart home where you wake up to the smell of bacon and eggs, your curtains draw themselves and you step onto a segway that transports your ass into a hot running, bubbly bath with a rubber ducky radio bobbing on the surface. However, getting even half of this means being wired up to the Google and Apple botnet.
There are cameras in every room in your house, for your "security" of course. Then, all your perishables are metered and thrown out well before their sell-by date, for your "health" of course. There aren't junk leaflets flooding through your letterbox; the AI took care of that. However, you want to watch TV and it seems that every commercial is selling something you dreamed about, for your "convenience" of course. Your home also takes it upon itself to change your billing plans to suit your usage, but your usage is pretty much contingent on what the house sets it at, so you find you have a little less take-home pay at the end of each month, but it's for "you" of course. We haven't even gone outside yet.

>being this tin foil
classic user

I recommend you buy a shotgun and eat a slug, consumerist retard.

I never got this smart home thing an I'm really lazy myself at home, yet I can still get up and walk to the thermostat and change the heating temp, and go and switch my lights off manualy, infact I would find it more tedious to need to have my phone charged and on me at all times just to do shit I would already rather do manually.
Plus it's not as if the signal range is that great that you can control anything in your house while there is distance between you and it; there is no way for doing actual usefully shit with it then since I can't check if my stove is on or my door is locked ( or atleast can't control it)

smart house
dumb occupant

make it yourself or prepare to get bent over by the cia niggers

>Turning off all the lights in the house if you forget seems pretty basic but would save a lot in electricity.
Have you ever paid an electric bill? The cost of a light being left on for a few hours is utterly insignificant, especially with LED bulbs.

NEST
E
S
T

Not OP
but I'd want IP Cameras outside of my home at every angle even a single PTZ somewhere in the front.

I'd also like an intercom/camera for entering my property

What you want?

Anyone have experience with smart mattresses?

f you host everything yourself, it is worthwhile. I personally have door and window sensors hooked up to a server that sends me an email when it detects an opening. I also have exterior cameras on the same server that record 3 weeks and alert me when they detect movement. As long as nothing is accessible by Internet and you host all the parts, run whatever you feel is necessary. I would never have smart locks or anything else that cannot have a manual backup way of operating.

Also, a system to automatically test your water tank for harmful bacteria is nice to have.

IoT was a mistake

Attached: house.jpg (1124x834, 149K)

Surveillance system with local storage. Keep it separate from any monitored security system you get, and if you get one of those, be sure it has glass break sensors and door alarms (any more sensors is redundant IMO if you have that). I would recommend keeping your security systems separate from lighting and hvac controls just so whoever is providing your monitoring, if anyone, can't fuck with that, intentionally or otherwise.

You can redo all your lights if you want glowy colors everywhere, but unless your house is huge its probably not actually going to be any quicker to use your phone to turn the lights on and off, so its not worth it without the multicolor lights.

I personally don't think there's much of a need for fancy remote controlled thermostats, I can manage my house temperatures just fine with an ordinary one. But it might be useful if you have some projects that require specific temperature ranges, and it would be a good thing to pair with any system that can control the temperature in each room if you have or can get something like that.

Lights are nice. I have my coffee maker hooked up as well and it's nice waking up to already made coffee. Automatic shades are quite extra but is cool. I also have a few cameras hidden in coat hooks and stuff for security. Also get a smart safe cuz it's faster than a normal safe (but not as secure)

youtube.com/watch?v=pm33KB2Th9M

I have a little PLC running my HVAC, House has 4 heating zones to keep track of and two air exchanger systems and it also acts as a master for some modbus ESP8266 slaves on a separate WiFi network. The slaves have either 2 or 4 120v outlets and a built in temp/humidity sensor. They can be easily set up to do any kind of timed or set point driven event from a HMI I run off my desktop.
Working on a weather station right now to adjust my heating algos for wind speed/direction and external temp and humidity. Right now they run on a simple aticipator like a thermostat, will probably go to some kind of feed forward PID system.
Also my well water pressure and filtration schedule is on there, based on amount of water used, I need to add a few flood sensors and tie them in to disable my pump so the house doesn’t flood.

A sexual robot gf

The only botnet device that I'll buy for a smart home

I own the xiaomi rice cooker. Watch some youtube videos about it.
It’s the best purchase I did in the past 2 years.

forgot pic

Attached: 9576C295-D5B5-4AB0-90E5-F9EE10370A22.jpg (1400x750, 445K)

>such a bad cook he can't even make rice without help

I can cook at least 100 kinds of pasta^^
But you’ll never feel the comfiness of coming home to a perfectly cooked rice, cooking some chicken or salmon and gulping them together.

Basically I’m calling you a jealous poorfag.

>just your wifi and your "smart app" or whatever the fuck controls it
Most of the smart sockets I have seen use external servers for control. The advantage is people can control a remote smart socket on vacation without setting any port forwarding.
Even "timers" set in the smart app rely on external servers pinging the socket at the correct time.

None