/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: →
If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 770e.jpg (1500x1000, 229K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZwXKz2CeHwY
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W700DS-Dual-Screen-Laptop-Core2Quad-Extreme-9300-2-53GHz-FX3700/142880607167?hash=item2144590bbf:g:OFIAAOSw7U9bVl0P&_sacat=0&_nkw=w700ds&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xw700ds.TRS0.TSS0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still requesting laptop recommendations. Mostly used for casual gaming.
600-800 euro price range. Above average battery life would be nice.

Attached: 1-KVEeBLwfsdjTed0c9P9mzo5oYvvbvm_ii4gcKy87g.jpg (659x768, 75K)

install libreboot

You'll get tired of your ThinkPad because it's slow, overheating and has terrible viewing angles because the shitty panel. After a while you'll consider buying a proper machine, like a XPS or a MacBook. Don't buy into this Jow Forums meme, don't waste your precious time and money just to feel like you belong somewhere. ThinkPads are shit.

Regards,
You from the future.

Attached: pills.jpg (800x450, 132K)

It's hard to put a 1400x1050 panel in a X61? requires soldering or special adapters?

But user i'm using an 11 year old X61t every day.
>slow
nope
>overheating
nope
>terrible viewing angles
nope
>After a while you'll consider buying a proper machine, like a XPS or a MacBook
no trackpoint so nope
why the fuck am i replying to bait anyway

help me decide

>Lenovo Thinkpad T430S, 3rd Gen i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD, Windows 10
$140
>Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Tablet (2-in-1), 3rd Gen i7, 8GB, 320GB HD
$170

im willing to spend money to upgrade parts if im able to. also this will be my first thinkpad purchase

Attached: soy frog.jpg (240x240, 11K)

>MacBook
> Implying that they aren't slow and don't overheat
nice maymay

what os are you running and how is the soundcard on it?

Here's some pic rel for you
Both have much worse keyboards, both are overheating garbage cans, New thinkpads come with good screens

wrong thread bud try this one

X230 or T430
Maybe T440p with chink iris graphics cpu

>T430s or X230 tablet
>ever
Maybe try to pick something that's not fucking garbage? Like the regular X230 or T430

why are they garbage though

Win7x64.
It's pretty bad, when a headphone paired via bluetooth sounds better than the same headphone connected via the 3.5mm port you know it's shit.

T430s has garbage battery life so you have to sacrifice the ultrabay slot if you want anything respectable. It's also not that light
X230 tablet also has shit battery life because the 360 hinge cuts into the battery. It's also heavier and as thick as a X230 with a 9 cell it because of the digitizer. Which whether you're drawing or not, it's not worth it. (Okay maybe it's a bit worth it if you're drawing since anything else comparable is ten times the price)

>tfw you run your finger around the softrim trackpoint

Who else?

Attached: 125465467756.jpg (480x360, 17K)

thank you

Guys, I really want the A485, I'm so tired of waiting. It's my dream laptop (aside from the screen, but I can live with that one personal complaint).

Why the fuck does Lenovo always do this kind of shit with releasing their new laptops? ;_;

I'd go with the X230t, it's great.

>t. 53c idle stinkpad

You mean 40 degree
Also my chassis is thick enough that I don't care, widthlet

Attached: i_have_no_memes96_v2_1833406758538913376_2369980963chris.jpg (750x738, 195K)

>proper temps
>mac
choose one

the fact that it has an ssd is worth it but I think the t430s sucked ass on various things, just google, and I don't know about the table, don't buy shit again google

I'm still on my T430. Depends on what you mean by casual gaming. Indie games run fine, but it can barely play Overwatch on Potato Settings @ 1280x720.

That being said, 3 SSDs (1x mSATA, 2x 2.5"), backlit keyboard, 18-cells of battery, I bought this new like 5 years ago and still love it to death.

ONLY complaint is the 14" is only 1600x900, but it suffices. Have looked into modding in a 1080 panel, but doesn't look worth the trouble.

Will updating the BIOS on a xx30 overwrite the keyboard/whitelist mods?

Attached: 7458221964_6a0f6bfb69_b.jpg (1024x682, 414K)

i was legit considering the XPS but it's not milspec and it's a thermal nightmare.

The keyboard mod is just a modified BIOS flash, so yes

probably looking for something newer but thanks for trying to help

Maybe
Depends on whether or no bios update flashes EC (hint: spectre meltdown update doesn't)

No, that's fucking wrong
You brainlets never learn

I use my X230T for work, battery lasts quite a while so I can complete several bids while on sites rather than going back to the office. Headphone jack is shot but I can play audio over speakers or bluetooth so it doesn't affect me. I paid about $200. The first one I ordered has the bios locked so be sure to check that. I gave that first one to my stepdad as a reloading bench pc instead of his old 17" Asus.

>This package updates the UEFI BIOS (including system program and Embedded Controller program) stored in the ThinkPad computer to fix problems, add new functions, or expand functions as noted below.
Ok, it sounds like it does. Thanks.

Whoops,
Just reflash your EC

If you're going to do it right...
requires trimming tabs of the screen, low-profile wifi antennae, adapter or converted cable, and some minor shimming of the lid.

Most of the Chinese builders do a kinda half-assed job.

What's up withall those paperlaunched raven ridge laptops? Heck there aren't even that much models on paper, like 10 or so, but you can't even find a signle one in stock. I just want a thinkpad e485 or matebook D. Yet everything is flooded with disgusting intel crap.

w700 was the best laptop design ever

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-w700ds-dual-screen.jpg (430x338, 20K)

Yes
Good luck ever finding one
Blame Lenovo and Intel

FWIW, I sell complete SXGA X61 lids with LED-modded screens for $400 (all NOS parts). Discount if you want lids built of A- or B-grade pulls.

>Good luck ever finding one
Buddy of mine found one in a surplus scrap pile because the IT guy thought it was some 20 year old machine. Got a fully functional one for free.

my dick

er, he got a 701ds not a 700ds

FUUUUUUCK
He got the better one too? Fucking shit man

that's bullshit but i believe it

Do I have to worry about this on the X1C6 / T480s? the m.2 slot will accept either an NVME or SATA3 SSD right?

isn't possible to use an eGPU?

meant this

Attached: 1LNcf.jpg (320x204, 8K)

x230 with IPS panel
fight me

I saw it with my own eyes.
He also claims he had it for two weeks before he realized there was a second screen that popped out.

>890 islands
What?

>XPS
They seem like reasonable value for money but I'm not a fan of silver laptops let alone black and silver.

why would you buy a libreboot thinkpad when they're all vulnerable to meltdown

Only thing I get tired of is screen hinges breaking and shit breaking and being a cheap repair with parts coming in less than a week.

other than soldered RAM and ports, is there anything else I should be concerned about build quality wise when thinkpads become super thin?

do the thermals really differ between the X1C6 and T480s anyways

coworkers keep snapping the lid hinges right off the carbons.
I wouldn't trust one myself if you paid me.

>Fedora
>Facebook
>Thickbad

Yikes

>8 PLANETS
>204 COUNTRIES
>809 ISLANDS
>7 SEAS
youtu.be/ZwXKz2CeHwY

It's almost the perfect laptop. I would buy the A485 day one if it would support fucking Thunderbolt 3.
I fucking hate this proprietary bullshit that Intel keep for itself. Now it's the standard for eGPU because it's the only technology that could make it work.
I'm not gonna buy the T480 and support Intel practice. I'm just gonna wait and endure my shitty laptop.

Attached: 1529404139571.png (625x616, 150K)

that's what i fear, X1C6 sounds it aims to be as thin as possible with little regard to the compromises.

T480s is also classified as an ultrabook so I'm also concerned about that. I'm definitely leaning towards the T480s though. Meanwhile I'm actually not a fan of the redundant batteries on the T480, sounds like a pain for battery replacements down the road.

i have this problem with my x220 where the cpu will throttle down to 800mhz and stay there when the battery is plugged in, when i unplug it it goes back to 3.1 and when i plug in the battery after a while its stable but then does the bullshit again
the battery is a 6-cell greencell, should i get a new one from lenovo?

So one of you convinced me the other day to drop the $200 or so on 16gb 2216 DDR3L RAM because it's already in short supply. Friend today tells me that RAM prices are inflated through the roof and I should wait to buy any RAM.
Or do I even need that? Should I just match the 4gb card I have?
Do I listen to /tpg/ or my amigo?

>X230T
>Debian

Attached: py9cz7gomhjz.jpg (4608x2592, 1.04M)

Tried throttlestop?

I remember something like that about the x220 throttling in thinkwiki, lurk there

Depends of your needs of course, do you really need 16gb? for me and my typical laptop usage 4gb is enough.

will you guys still accept me if I decide to buy an XPS 15 instead of a Thinkpad P52?

Attached: 1518504640832.jpg (250x223, 7K)

More than likely, no. I want to have a system I can use comfortably in a few years since I'm not elated with Lenovo's direction recently. Firefox and computer games (usually just FTL) are the biggest memory users on my system currently. I guess user just scared me about ddr3 going up, so I feel like it's a "do it now" type of thing, even if I really don't need it now.

whats the cheapest way to fit a 7mm ssd in the internal hdd slot on a w520?

Hi guys, I've got a T530 running windows 10 . Recently I've started having issues wherein the screen brightness fluctuates and the computer sometimes tells me that Lenovo has detected an issue with the outlet and activated airplane mode.
Question is, is this something you guys have had problems with and is it somethingwrong with the 'brick' on the cord or the outlet in the wall? Or maybe an issue with the computer itself?

Never heard about anything like that, but do you have a genuine charger?

So I came in possession of an X1 Carbon 1st gen. It's a complete shit.
>768p eyebleeding display
>3 hour battery life
>4 gb ram
>80gb SSD
How do I upgrade this thing to be less shit?

T430.

Tablets are shit, and the i7 it's a high clocked i5.

>Windows 10
Only half kidding. Does the screen brightness thing only happen when it's plugged in, or all the time? Is it a flickering?

Just use the existing caddy and rails or buy them off of ebay. Yours came with either a 7mm or a 9.5mm drive. The 7mm ssd can fit in either sized caddy.

If user is in school or has to read PDFs often, X230T is great.

i got it off my pop and the hdd came with rubber rails that dont fit the smaller ssd

I do. Says Lenovo on it.
I'm worried it's the port on the back of the laptop. Is it normal for a tiny bit of metal on the bit that is inserted to be visible when it's plugged in? It doesn't go in any further.

Yeah, I just had it on battery without issue then I plugged it in and it started going from pretty dark to very bright a few times, not really flickering but changing. Then the notice about airplane mode pops up. Maybe this particular outlet doesn't provide quite enough power since part of the airplane mode notification mentions lowering power draw to make it safer to use on aircraft.

T480s is technically an ultrabook, though it's not a "fashionable" ultrabook that compromises adequate parts (e.g. decent cooling) to be more anorexic. If you want the super thin ultrabook experience, go the X1C6, though like you have pointed out, the compromises seem to be more fashion oriented than anything. Redundant batteries can be a pain to replace, yeah, though they only hold something like 5% of the total charge. Their main purpose is to keep the machine alive for 30 seconds while you switch out one battery pack for another.

Windows? Check your power settings. There is an option in there somewhere to limit CPU usage based on power source (i.e. plugged in and on battery). Hopefully for you, it's just a case of it throttling on AC power and unleashing
on battery, instead of the other way around.

W10 basically has two different brightness settings for battery power and when you plug it in, which you can adjust easily. As for the airplane mode, I dunno.

The absolute cheapest way would be to use rubber bands or wrap the shit in cardboard.

Attached: PgY9Fl.jpg (640x360, 24K)

Yeah I've checked that. It doesn't change from battery to plugged in. I changed the modes to have the same brightness but the icon doesn't change more than once as I'd think it's do if it flipped rapidly from the plugged in mode to the battery mode.

That's not normal on an X series. It does sound to me like a hardware issue, like they're not making a solid contact. That's my armchair opinion

What thinkpad has the biggest screen while still being coreboot compatible? How about libreboot? Wondering how much I have to sacrifice to use either.

Yeah I'm think that might be it too, I hope not though but that partly why I bought a thinkpad, easy to service. I've got a T-series though.

Go for it dude I use one for Uni and it's been working well

> 15" T60 auction
> the seller doesn't even know that it's 15"
> I estimate the screen to be 1600x1200 with my paint skills
> 20 hours until the end and $20 so far
How much would you pay for a C2D laptop?

Right, I was saying that my X series doesn't so I wouldn't think a t series would. eBay power supply (assuming that's what you need) shouldn't be too much, and if that doesn't fix it send it back.

Ah i see, sorry.
That's a good point. I think I''ll try that!

> I use one for Uni
that's what I'm using it for
$2000 for 32GB ram, 1TB SSD, a nice 4k screen, and a 1050ti, with a slim build and good battery life is a fucking steal.

Nice! :D

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W700DS-Dual-Screen-Laptop-Core2Quad-Extreme-9300-2-53GHz-FX3700/142880607167?hash=item2144590bbf:g:OFIAAOSw7U9bVl0P&_sacat=0&_nkw=w700ds&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xw700ds.TRS0.TSS0

>975 shekels for a fucking Core2Quad

You must really want that pop-out screen.

Is the power port's yellow plastic interior in line with the outer part? In other words, is the yellow part of the port recessed? Mine is, I'm thinking that it might be pushed inwards for some reason and that's what's causing the issue.

>i7 is a higher clocked i5

no it is not, whoever told you that needs a swift kick in the sack

the ones in the t430 are, nothing changes aside from slightly higher clockspeeds

that's lame. I went from an i5 2520m to an i7 2630qm and the i7 had double the cache, double the core count and was actually 500mhz slower but it runs in turbo all day at the same speed as the i5

Just got a docking station for my X230
I'm running 2 1920x1200 displays fine but the built in display wont turn on.

Is there something special I need to do to use the laptop display and the 2 external ones?

>m to qm
well no shit that's an improvement
the factory default """i7""" options for the t430 were a copy of the dual core i5s with slightly higher clocks, the same applies for the x220, x230 and t420
the quad cores weren't an option at the time of purchase and are more like a "mod"

Is it a good idea to have a T4XX to stay at home and a x2XX without disks and RAM but only use it while outside? Obviously the missing parts will come from the main machine.

I like the x's series portability but also want to keep my things.

>I like the x's series portability but also want to keep my things.
Docking station and external drives at home?

if you want portability just get a newer laptop

This is what I'm doing, I have a T420 docked at home, and when need some portability, I took my X61 with me.