Instead of these nerdy computers and shit, why can't we have COOL technology, like terraforming MARS?

Instead of these nerdy computers and shit, why can't we have COOL technology, like terraforming MARS?

Attached: marstotal.jpg (1200x1191, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r_IL6cSfdA0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They found water earlier this week. Just go plant some stringbeans.

just follow al that spacex stuff. Truly amazing with their falcon rockets landing and Elon Musk putting his money where his mouth is. Epic years to come with the bfr

>be dumb earthling humanoid
>can barely colonize the south pole or the sahara desert
>wants to colonize Mars

Unfortunately, the Jow Forums interests in going to mars will be undermined by the Jow Forums interests. What happens when minorities aren't smart enough to warrant their presence on our new world and we wind up with a 100% hapa colony with advanced weaponry and the ability to terraform further planets?

>terraforming
It will only happen on computer screens on earth and you stupid fucks will believe every bit of it
spacex is a fraud, all the rockets end up in the sea, the "live stream" launches you see on youtube are all cgi

i dont know
ask whoever told you that was possible
ask jesus
ask hollywood

>spacex is a fraud, all the rockets end up in the sea, the "live stream" launches you see on youtube are all cgi
they are indeed a fraud but you dont need to make shit up

It's not that we CAN'T, it's that we don't want to. There's no use in spending the resources for it. However, gaining an entire PLANET for resources and space sounds like something worth colonizing. It's about pros and cons, user. There are massive pros (and massive overhead) to colonizing Mars, whereas there are minimal pros and a very large overhead to urbanizing (I assume that's what you mean) the Sahara, and there's virtually zero reason at this point in time to try getting civilization to live in the South Pole and has an even larger overhead. That's how things work in the real life. Hopefully when you graduate high school some day, you'll learn that.

A big problem is generating an artificial magnetic field to keep the solar winds from stripping away the atmosphere.

Do you want giant mutant cockroaches? Cause that's how we get giant mutant cockroaches.
youtube.com/watch?v=r_IL6cSfdA0

Attached: 533.jpg (480x410, 17K)

this. Big magnetic fields are not that easy to make.

unless you're trying to create an environment that's naturally sustainable on the scale of millions to billions of years that's not really a huge problem since the processes at work are so slow

Depends on what we want. If we want earth2 then we need the magnetic field.

Small habitats can maybe be shielded. But in the long run the solar winds would give everyone cancer.

yeah I'm not really trying to minimize the impact of the lack of a proper magnetic field at all, just saying that it's not going to instantly strip away an atmosphere like that, it would be a slow process

honestly I'm with most people that the idea of an "Earth 2.0" Mars happening within the next millennium is just fucking silly but I don't believe making it suitable to habitation by genetically adapted life and people is totally out of the question either

>terraforming mars to be suitable for humans
>requires millions of years, probably not even feasible even ignoring the timescale
>creating mechanical bodies controlled by human level AI that can survive and operate virtually anywhere in the universe that isn't ridiculously hot or being bombarded by radiation
>a couple hundred years

Pick one.

nah
elon musk said you dont need them
you can go there just fine

there is not enough athmospheric pressure on mars and will never be, because ot has no magnetic field to protect the athmosphere from sun winds to blow it off

i dunno man i feel like we could get a good lot of solar energy out of those deserts if you mind the terrorists

just put a lot of strong magnets on it duh

Fuck off with the no magnetic field meme.

Look at venus. It doesn't have a magnetic field either and it has a atmosphere 500 times as thick as earth's

fucking magnets how do they work