Yeeloong a cute!

yeeloong a cute!

Attached: openbsd-yeeloong.jpg (1622x1447, 866K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pine64.org/?page_id=3707
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no intlel or ayymd cpu
i'll take 5

what is this?
what are his specs?

lemote computers are fucking impossible to find

Worse than a raspberry pi. Don't even bother.

wish there was an inexpensive laptop with the rpi's specs that's not a ripoff

enjoy!
pine64.org/?page_id=3707

Not the guy you were replying to, but thanks for sharing this

i'm gonna have a look, thanks.

Keep in mind that I don't think it's free as in libre (as far as I know). Still if rpi-tier specs are all you need, it's gonna be better than something x86.

>he fell for the [[[chinese botnet]]]
sasuga, user

Attached: 1476164586571.jpg (501x585, 58K)

Is that your Yeeloong? Must be an old pic if it is since we're on OpenBSD 6.3 now. I thought I was the only person left who still uses a working Yeeloong. I was trying to get xf86-video-siliconmotion working on OpenBSD the other day but it seems like I'm going to have to patch the xenocara X server to get it to work. The driver runs (built from NetBSD's patched xf86-video-siliconmotion) but segfaults at startup I've managed to get it working on Debian Jessie previously, but Debian Jessie is now officially unsupported for mipsel and of course newer versions of debian don't support MIPS III any more. Might turn out to be a waste of time building the proper driver since it's much slower now with EXA than it used to be back when XAA still existed in Xorg.

Have you tried Gentoo on it? There seems to be a fairly recent µClibc-ng stage3 of Gentoo for little-endian MIPS III on the mirrors somewhere but I've not tried it yet. Seems like it might be impractical since it doesn't have binary packages like OpenBSD does, but it seems like it's the only Linux distro that still exists which will support the Loongson 2F Yeeloongs (gNewSense seems kind of dead now).

Last time I tried NetBSD on mine, pretty much everything segfaulted immediately for some reason, and gdb was unusable. The X server worked nicely though with xf86-video-siliconmotion. Might try again now 8.0 is officially released, but it's a shame there aren't any pkgsrc binary packages for mips64el.

Loongson 2F CPU, single core, little-endian 64-bit MIPS III, 800 MHz
1 GB DDR2 RAM
Silicon Motion SM712 LynxEM+ graphics card
1024x600 display
Famous for being a laptop Richard Stallman used before his was stolen. It can run on entirely free software, including boot firmware (PMON2000).

OP's pic is a Lemote Yeeloong 8101B (10.1" display). Mine is an 8089B (8.9" display). They're identical in every way except the 8089B has a larger bezel around a smaller screen (same resolution).

wouldn't be surprised if OBSD dropped lemote support in the following versions

rrrrreeeeeeeeeee they better not

pic of my Yeeloong

Attached: yeeloong.jpg (2016x1512, 437K)

god i wish that were me

i used to have one, should not have sold it!

it just a bootleg EEEpc lmao

>was trying to get xf86-video-siliconmotion working on OpenBSD the other day
>on a MIPS netbook

Yes and? xf86-video-siliconmotion works fine on NetBSD and works fine on Linux with some patches.

do other shitposting books count?
here's my 11 inch micromax lapbook L1160 which has been serving me very well for the past 1.5 years.
i just throw it in the back with an upto date external 1TB drive.

it was hell to install 32 bit efi on 64 bit arch though. it was my first time and had to compile my own grub_ia32.efi and put it in boot ffs.

Attached: IMG_20180729_102659.jpg (1990x2451, 679K)

specs

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-29_10-32-03.png (1366x768, 209K)

Oh you might be confusing xf86 with x86. xf86 is short for XFree86, which was the original project that X.org was forked from. XFree86 and Xorg both work fine on other arches besides x86, even if it was originally just for x86 machines. Some parts of Xorg still retain the "xf86" name, like the xf86-* drivers.

No, I'm saying that it's buggy as fuck on MIPS, even if you get it working, and you shouldn't bother using X at all.

they've been dropping some archs lately (seriously, who even ran it on a VAX except Theo?)

probably has about the same amount of users as the VAX port

I've used it before on NetBSD and Linux and it works fine. What makes you think it's buggy? It does need some patches to work of course but besides that it works flawlessly. It was super smooth when XAA was still in Xorg, and it still works fine with just EXA. I already do use X with the wsfb driver which also works fine, just not very fast, but still usable for most things. What makes you think I shouldn't bother using X at all?

There aren't really any regressions on loongson since it was new, and they still have loongson machines building all the mips64el packages. Would be bad for them to drop it.

>besides that it works flawlessly.
You know how I know you've never really used it?

Attached: 1530727393875.png (638x359, 247K)

Have you ever used it? Have you patched xf86-video-siliconmotion and got it running on a yeeloong? I definitely have used it. The only real limitations it has are of the weak card itself, like barely having enough video memory for the 1024x600 screen, and running much faster with 16-bit colours.

If you think it is at all stable then you need to use it for an extended period of time. You're better off not using a GUI, which is what I did.

>Totally free computer
>Installs BSD
>Not gNewSense
Fag.

>Totally free computer

totally free Chinese backdoor

>totally free Chinese backdoor
Audit it and see for yourself.

I'm using xf86-video-siliconmotion with EXA right now and it's working fine. Only real issue is i3 which doesn't have proper 16 bit colour support in this version at least. It's nowhere near as fast as it was on gNewSense 3 which had XAA, but it's still perfectly usable. Never experienced any of the crashes / instability you're suggesting so it can't be that big of an issue. But even if it was an issue, X works fine without xf86-video-siliconmotion and is perfectly usable so there's no point avoiding using X at all. Also the text console on OpenBSD is pretty bad compared to the Linux one, and there is only one TTY on MIPS OpenBSD.

Attached: 2018-07-29-064504_1024x600_scrot.png (1024x600, 100K)

I don't use OpenBSD, since I'm not a retard. Once you've used X for a long period of time you'll regret using it at all and just stop using GUIs.

>and there is only one TTY on MIPS OpenBSD.
no way, have you inspected /etc/ttys?

oh well, at least we have tmux

I do use X on this for long periods of time and I've never had any of these issues you seem to suggest happen. If it suddenly starts being buggy after running it for days on end, then surely you could just restart X and carry on using it. Are you sure it's actually an issue with xf86-video-siliconmotion you've experienced? Or just an issue with certain graphical programs on MIPS in general?

OpenBSD is the only operating system which is still supported which runs on the yeeloong and has binary packages. What would you suggest I use besides OpenBSD? What do you use? Debian is dead now. I'll probably try Gentoo on it but I'd rather not have to deal with the pain of updating Gentoo on this thing.

>long periods
No. A long period of time. I'm not talking about leaving it on for hours, I mean using it for years.
>Or just an issue with certain graphical programs on MIPS in general?
Unsure, needs more troubleshooting.
>OpenBSD is the only operating system which is still supported which runs on the yeeloong and has binary packages
That doesn't mean nothing else works. Debian is still fine to use.

so its a giant phone. I wanna whip that bad boy out and make a call in the lunch room.

>Debian is still fine to use.
They've completely dropped support now. No more updates. Jessie mipsel is dead. It's sort of usable if you don't mind no security updates. Nothing wrong with OpenBSD anyway. It's pretty great.
>I'm not talking about leaving it on for hours, I mean using it for years.
I've had my Yeeloong for 3 years and I use dwm, urxvt, mps-youtube + mpv, dillo, netsurf on OpenBSD and they all work perfectly fine. On Debian right now I use surf with WebKit2 and that works pretty well, and in the past on gNewSense I've used Firefox and that worked pretty nicely too. Are you expecting some kind of full-featured graphical desktop like GNOME or something to work on it? I can't see how you'd have any issue just running a few terminals in X instead of in the linux TTYs.

Pretty sure it uses a different backend than the wscons one that's used on x86. Can't seem to find a way to even change the font with it. There aren't any other terminals to run getty in so /etc/ttys isn't much help. (wsconscfg does nothing)

>They've completely dropped support now.
That doesn't mean nothing works. It's fine. All I really need is emacs, w3m, and mutt.

Kaiso ho bhai?

Audit what? The specification the giant megacorporation who built the chip behind closed doors claims to have implemented faithfully?

If you truly believe in hardware backdoors, there's no justifiable reason to trust in any silicon even if it wears the "open source" label on its marketing material.