Gopher

What went wrong?

Attached: goeff.jpg (640x480, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linkedin.com/in/markmccahill/
linkedin.com/in/plindner/
linkedin.com/in/robertalberti/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_(search_engine)
gopher.quux.org
khzae.net
github.com/kibook/1436chan
khzae.net/1/chan
github.com/naomiEve/sakaki
umbrellix.net/software:ugopherserver
twitter.com/AnonBabble

people need 4 megabytes of javascript per website or it's not slick enough for them

Capitalism

>implying I'm not using it right now

Attached: Gophervr.png (500x277, 68K)

search engines happened

altavista
northern lights
google

Attached: index.png (91x111, 3K)

could you post some gopher links, please? i'd like to explore by fucking around.

Attached: 1524239725392.jpg (1200x675, 86K)

Looks like the cyberspace hacking minigame in a 90's DOS vidya. Rather impractical for actual use, but more fun.
I didn't know gopher had any kind of presence in this age.

An opensource WWW

so I looked up the developers, and they are all miserable losers except one guy that end up at Google...

hits the mark. It's far easier to put megabytes of shitty Flash ads on a WWW page than a Gopher menu.

Miserable losers because Berners-Lee got the fat stacks and fame and they got nothing?

linkedin.com/in/markmccahill/
linkedin.com/in/plindner/
linkedin.com/in/robertalberti/
Can't find
Farhad Anklesaria (retired?)
Daniel Torrey

So they're making $150,000+ at Google?

Good for them, I guess.

Paul Lindner's making around 500k a year at Google, the rest are making

Maybe they should have tried harder

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1
there's some pretty neat sites, good place to find old files too

It cost money. That's why http won.

what are you talking about? gopher servers are trivial as fuck to set up

lack of graphics inline.

The University of Minnesota introduced a license fee for *commercial* users of *their* gopher server implementation later on. Since this was the de facto software and things weren't like today where you can find at least a few dozen implementations of anything on the Internet, it definitely didn't help the protocol to gain traction.

But there's many other factors to why HTTP won. HTML vs plain text, potential for commercialization (very much realized), and just simply having more features. Gopher wasn't designed to be a replacement for all desktop software like The Web is touted as. "Normies" want a cool looking web page with garish colour schemes and "unique" fonts. They don't care that having a uniform, simple hierarchical structure across all domains is more efficient for finding information.

and at least 50MB of high resolution photos and autoplaying video or audio

Not as versatile as HTTP
And newsgroups and ftp already existed

The first version of HTML was rather simple and I cannot remember it was ever thought of as coming to replace desktop software.

What it DID have was the means for integrating text and images. And that was sufficient to get the ball rolling adding more and more features over time.

>What it DID have was the means for integrating text and images.
images were a mistake

lol no generics xDDDD

You could say the same about flash, java, javascipt, and more. Yet those were the things that made it a commercial success.

>not using webcrawler

Attached: 4L_uoqYFcHH.jpg (770x1155, 152K)

>>simple hierarchical structure across all domains is more efficient for finding information.
>people unironically believe this.

Retrieving info is hard. moreso as web "designers" keep reorganising things causing no end of bit rot.

A 5 years old bookmark file is pretty much dead.

>search engines happened
So? There were all sorts of search engines back in the day, also for FTP and Gopher.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_(search_engine)

Has everyone forgotten this?

rescue bump

i wonder if a gopher revival could be a good alternative to the modern day internet

Some Jow Forumsentooman just wrote a gopher smartphone app, so it'll be overrun with phoneposters anyway.

I like the simplicity and transparency of the protocol, and I just personally enjoy maintaining a gopher over a website.

If you like the idea of hosting a gopher but don't want to exclude normal Web users, look at a server like pygopherd, which will generate an HTML version of your gopher menus for people that connect over HTTP. Here's an example:
gopher://gopher.quux.org
gopher.quux.org

Someone already linked Floodgap, which is basically the centre of modern gopherspace, but here's some other places I point my gopher to regularly:
gopher://gopherpedia.com
gopher://sdf.org/
gopher://gopher.su

and my own little gopher:
gopher://khzae.net
I use a similar thing to pygopherd if you don't have a gopher client: khzae.net

Attached: gopher.jpg (1200x800, 113K)

maho is the only good thing about sg0

Based.

For the commercial parts for the masses, probably not. For looking up facts, quickly and without spam, yes.

Reminder that some user wrote a gopher textboard:
github.com/kibook/1436chan
khzae.net/1/chan

There's a few at least:
gopher://port70.net/1/chan
gopher://gopher.su/1/board
github.com/naomiEve/sakaki

Gopher wasn't really designed with user input like this in mind, but these demonstrate the (ab)use of standard gopher search queries as a limited text input.

thanks for the links!
>I use a similar thing to pygopherd if you don't have a gopher client
there's a firefox extension which reenables gopher support.

still doesn't support TLS

The new version of it (OverbiteWX) unfortunately has to feed everything over an HTTP proxy since Firefox 57+ removed the ability for extensions to create their own sockets. Doesn't really matter for 99% of use cases though.

The goal of pygopherd/bucky is so that the average person who doesn't really care/know enough about gopher to install an add-on or extra client can still access whatever information you want to host.

it does? in description it says it redirects gopher links through floodgap and in the end i get a https page but i'm not a webdev so i might be wrong. see pic.

Attached: Untitled.png (1208x424, 27K)

Yeah, that's the Floodgap gopher gateway. You can see how the gopher request is encoded in the HTTP URL:
gopher%3A//gopher.su
Basically, instead of connecting directly to gopher.su, you're connecting to Floodgap which is connecting to gopher.su and then sending you the results formatted as HTML.

You should see here that your IP will be the Floodgap server instead of your own:
gopher://khzae.net/1/about

There is an S/Gopher:
umbrellix.net/software:ugopherserver

is that the most commonly deployed gopher server?
last time I browsed the gophernet it was all served in plain text

No, I don't think anybody uses it except Umbrellix themselves.

Can HTML be served over Gopher protocol?

Anything can be served over the gopher protocol. Clients that are hybrid web and gopher clients such as Overbite and Lynx will display HTML/CSS/JS as you'd probably expect, others will most likely hand it off to whatever you set as your default .html program.

The 'h' type is commonly recognized by clients as "HTML":
gopher://khzae.net/h/misc/demo.html