Field programmable gate array

field programmable gate array

Attached: image_60_thumb.jpg (550x451, 116K)

A thread died for this

it's technology

can u make these into a cpu? Can i write a lisp machine from this sucker given $1k and 30years? Seems like atinkerers dream

Yeah but you're limited to how much space the chip has on it

yepp that's what it is

Attached: 1532822746825.jpg (1208x874, 166K)

Red Pitaya is bretty nice. I still need to learn the FPGA stuff but it's very cheap and useful for the lab

Attached: slide1-stemlab.png (422x306, 232K)

haha ikr? that thing he posted isn't even an imac or smartphone or nething like that.

He posed absolutely fucking nothing in his post and brings absolutely nothing to the table.

He directed the conversation to something other than brand wars, CPU threads, GPU threads, headphones threads, smartphones threads, etc.
In neo-Jow Forums, that is more than enough

effpeegeeayy

Attached: 1512446263896.png (645x729, 62K)

Dum question: what exactly can a FPGA do?
Can it be programmed to behave like a set architecture?

Attached: sea.jpg (477x800, 34K)

yes

Decent FPGA dev boards go for about €100

You can essentially program the thing to behave like a combinatorial and/or sequential logic network of your liking.
It's different from simulations though, since the FPGA has reconfigurable hardware cells which implement the truth tables of your logic functions and route the connections between them.
That being said, you can implement pretty much any logic circuit on FPGA, provided that
1. You don't exceed the available hardware resources
2. You don't exceed the max available clock speed. Despite the thing I wrote earlier about "any logic circuit", the FPGA herself is driven by a clock, which generally depends on your logic design, but must not exceed a fixed maximum (max ~300MHz for good boards).

Attached: I happen to be an expert on this topic.png (720x540, 406K)

>Dum question: what exactly can a FPGA do?
Everything. It's hardware that you can adjust by your needs.
Fucking brainlets don't know that difference between hard- and software
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fucking reddit autist, piss off.

lol downvoted that shit.

No, that's a microcontroller

why are these things still in use?

i feel like 95% of their application could be replaced with 5 dollar MCUs

and the code for the MVUs could be developed a lot faster and cheaper

Yrah boi, put sum LEON on dat!!!

I read about it in a book but I don't get it. How can you reprogram hardware?

because you need to sell overpriced shit to brainlets who think they're "young hackers"

nowadays? probably prototyping shit more than anything else before you start shitting out asics for whatever meme SoC you're gonna be packaging.

Except that's wrong

Attached: IMG_20180519_135210.jpg (1440x245, 29K)

This is good use of that
>tfw no other older consoles with 1:1 hardware compatibility
I'd like to see this done with, for example, Certain IBM PC and other hardware. Maybe even FPGA Voodoo cards.

Attached: super_nt_guts.jpg (2839x1920, 916K)

As I like to say, the limitations of FPGA are space and time. You need enough space for your design on the board and enough time for sequential operations to propagate in a single clock period.

The temptations of a beginner that end up in an unsynthesizable design are to do ideal parallelism ignoring how big the design will get, to ignore the existence of dedicated hardware inside the FPGA such as BRAMs and arithmetic units and design everything with free form, and lastly, to try to do all operations in a single clock cycle instead of working with pipelines.

When your small design needs 30 min to be synthesized, having to deal with timing constraint errors is a lot more frustrating than finding a memory leak or the reason of a segfault in your code. Its important to synthesize and test using the prototype board as soon as you can with a partial design to make it easier to fix bugs.

Attached: maho.jpg (1366x768, 143K)

Does anybody here have a proof of concept of designing a peripheral in programmable logic for Leon? Something like passing two integers from C code and have them summed in dedicated hardware.

Attached: 16_f813489428320782415a5a3d34a4fc88_75.jpg (640x853, 83K)

>2018
>not soldering your own CPUs.

Attached: Ahmed Muhammad.jpg (198x144, 9K)

Can a MCU easily generate and/or process high resolution video? Or any signal, for that matter.
Can a MCU easily implement a complex FSM?
Can a MCU easily do any sort of parallel data processing?
Can a MCU easily mine cryptocurrency?
Can a MCU easily implement a hard realtime system?

>Can a MCU easily generate and/or process high resolution video? Or any signal, for that matter.
Yes, there are MCUs specifically designed for this purpose, and normal ones can do it as well.

>Can a MCU easily implement a complex FSM?
Yes. So can anything else, provided you know how to program it.

>Can a MCU easily implement a hard realtime system?
Yes. I get paid to develop and support a proprietary RTOS that runs on ARM7 and Cortex-M3.

>Can a MCU easily do any sort of parallel data processing?
>Can a MCU easily mine cryptocurrency?
These are the two that a MCU can't do

>there are MCUs specifically designed for this purpose
Not every chip with transistor in it is an MCU
>normal ones can do it
They're not fast enough

Fpga:s are pretty slick

You won't even need 30 years
People are making cpus with these already even hobbyists

Fucking brainlet FPGA =/= PAL =/= PLA

Which FPGA is suitable for radio goniometer/beamforming?

>Can a MCU easily generate and/or process high resolution video? Or any signal, for that matter.
>Can a MCU easily implement a complex FSM?
>Can a MCU easily do any sort of parallel data processing?
>Can a MCU easily mine cryptocurrency?
>Can a MCU easily implement a hard realtime system?

Can you?

Attached: irobot.jpg (1280x720, 33K)

Attached: Xilinx-Zynq-RFSoCs.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

i built a cpu on one of these for my engineering degree project.

care to share if you still have it?

>Not every chip with transistor in it is an MCU
not sure what point you're trying to make but I never said like this

>microcontrollers aren't fast
>he doesn't know that countless manufacturers have been using 300MHz+ pipelined ARM cores in even mid-grade MCUs for years
>he doesn't know about the new dual-core NXP MCUs being sampled to industry right now
>mfw

Attached: lol.jpg (960x792, 201K)

Interface 46 LVDS lines, and handle a data rate of 1500 mbps with a microcontroller.