AMD or Intel /v/ros?

Getting a new CPU in October. Should it be a Ryzen 7 2700x or a I7 8700K? I currently have a GTX 970 and i'll have it for one more year, my budget for the CPU RAM and MOBO is 860 USD. It will mainly be for gaming but i do some editing in Vegas every now and then.

Attached: Intel-Core-i9-vs-AMD-Ryzen-560x416.jpg (560x416, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-MT-790-Intel-i7-2600-Quad-Core-3-4GHz-4GB-500GB-Computer-PC/292645905581?epid=25004260029&hash=item44230e24ad:g:aCIAAOSwKMxbPouP&_sacat=0&_nkw=i7 2600 pc&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R10.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xi7 2600 .TRS1&LH_TitleDesc=0|0
youtu.be/8qkXKmpOWa0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AMD

Intel, obviously

and get a new cooler

>It will mainly be for gaming but i do some editing in Vegas every now and then.
2700X

AMD

You can go to Jow Forums, but they will suggest AMD as well.

Amd and get a noctua cooler

wait for the newest Intel chip. they're finally getting rid of that hyperthreading crap and the dies will be soldered

He doesn't have the budget for that.

AMD's currently piss on Intel's offerings. Upside down world we're living in. Kinda like the earl 00's all over again.

Intel 9000 series is coming out next month. Probably still have spectre/meltdown problems but hey, 8 cores!

Intel are going downhill the exact same way HP did

>8 cores
Did you forget about 8 threads as well?

The coolers from the 2600x and 2700x aren't shit like previous AMD heatsinks. You can make do with stock just fine if not OCing, which I believe for those CPUs doesn't even give you any decent gains to be worth it.

Don't worry intel buyers are so cucked they think intel is doing them a favour removing hyperthreading from the i7 and moving it to the i9 so they can make more money.

gaming = intel
production = amd

for amd to even match intel at gaming you'd need to spend like $100 on fast ram. that's at 1080p though with a fast graphics card.

Got a Scythe Mugen Max cooler and it serves me well with my I5 4690k (1.2 V, 4,3 GHz, around 50°C when idle). Would it be enough for the Ryzen if i would OC it to like 4,6?

This.

hows the 8350?

that's some shit cooler. i have a basic ass 212 evo with my 4690k at 1.25v also 4.3ghz and i idle at around ~35C.
also ryzen doesn't go to 4.6ghz. the max you'll get is 4.3.

Attached: 45ff.png (324x56, 2K)

good if you have a phenom, otherwise its from 6 years ago

that processor fucking sucks

I have a phenom II 955 BE

Ouch, Is that the last Processor I can buy without having to upgrade MOBO and Ram?

It was okay-ish back in the day for the price. Now it sucks.
t. 8350 user

I'm planning on getting a 2600x together with a 1060 GTX 6GB.

Ryzen 7 2700x without a doubt. I can't really speak from experience here because I never have done any editing, but people seem to claim AMD is better for production. You should look that up, though. Try Jow Forums.
With that said, AMD is putting Intel into some damage control territory, to the point they did some desperate awful PR campaigns.

>1060 GTX 6GB
That's what I have currently. The thing is DDR 4 is expensive but in order for me to go for Ryzen I have to up the MOBO and Ram to DDR4 and I am just like eeeeeeeeeh.

Intel is in full JUST mode right now

Buy her products!!!

Attached: 1496981869617.png (8597x7288, 1.13M)

Do CPUs even matter these days? Still got 2500k and it's just barely choking my 1060 build in certain games.

Because before ryzen intel didn't bother improving their cpus.

Exactly same situation here, user. I'm using my 1060 and having my CPU bottlenecking it right now. I'm gonna suck it up and upgrade the rest of the components anyway, but yeah, RAM prices are stupid expensive right now and it hurts to have to upgrade nearly everything else in my build just because the 2600x socket wasn't made compatible.

Fortunately, at least, cryptoidiots are already suffering because of their investments, for causing video cards to be priced higher than they were at fucking release day two years later. All that is left is for RAM price fixers to get thrown into the 5th circle of hell.

Attached: 1518551011993.png (300x313, 96K)

AMD is GOAT but for some fucking reason every spare parts shop in my town is Intel. I snapped the cooler clip for the CPU last month and I'm STILL waiting for a replacement clip from some literally who company from China.

incel - for painless vidya (for couple of years, before thermal paste inside dries out)
AMD - PC enthusiast (not always reliable vidya performance, but built-in CPU quality and better bang for a buck)

just get a used 2600 pc for like $200 and use your current ddr3 ram with it. 4 cores 8 threads and it shouldn't bottleneck your 1060 6gb

i7 8700k is pretty good, havent needed to really OC it at all.

Attached: Specs.png (519x406, 23K)

Yep. I am considering a Ryzen but then there are so many of them right now it's silly, I dunno which one of those will be best for gaming and Vegas Pro. Got a lot of videos to watch on the matter, which will make things even harder.

IIRC you can't use DDR3 on a Ryzen board or are you talking about an intel 2600? Maybe even an Atari 2600? :P

Are you talking about the FX series CPU? That line of CPUs suck, theres no real upgrade path and the gains are weak. Even the weakest Ryzen 3 CPU (2200g/1200) are on par if not better than all the FX series especially when overclocked, and the 2200g even has integrated graphics.

>not OCing a K chip
Congratulations on wasting money on 100 MHz higher boost clock.

What should I upgrade first bros?

This was a great gaming PC build when I built it, but it's been used for music recording/production since 2015.

Attached: 20180610_153613.jpg (3264x1836, 1.68M)

monitor > cpu/mobo > gpu
also why is your ram in single channel mode did you just put it in whatever slot

i7 2600
the ryzen 2600 is 6 cores 12 threads not 4 core 8 threads

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-MT-790-Intel-i7-2600-Quad-Core-3-4GHz-4GB-500GB-Computer-PC/292645905581?epid=25004260029&hash=item44230e24ad:g:aCIAAOSwKMxbPouP&_sacat=0&_nkw=i7 2600 pc&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R10.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xi7 2600 .TRS1&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

you could get something like this and just slot in your old power supply and re-use your current ddr3 to have a kick ass used build which should run all modern games with ease with that 1060 6gb. $120 for a few more years of gaming is a mad deal

>also why is your ram in single channel mode did you just put it in whatever slot
I bought an incompatible cooler and had to rig it sideways. I'm not very good with conputers.

>768p monitor
>in 2018

Bruh...

intel if you only play games with your computer
amd if you do mixed use/play videogames at 1440p and above
that's all you need to know

>i7 2600
>muh gaming bro you need at least 12 cores and 24 threads
Mean while real life shows that 4 cores is minimum you need right now and an intel 4 cores 8 threads slightly beats an amd 6 cores 12 threads (this is done with 8700k and 2700x with cores disabled for testing purposes)
The test results that "more cores" was more important than more Ghrz when going from 2 cores to 4.

In conclusion today you need 4 cores minimum. 6 Cores is already "future proof" and god knows how many years youl go before you need 8 cores.

Note: This applies to gaming.

intel and amd are good for all scenarios, it just ultimately depends on your budget with amd being the cheaper option and their gpus having freesync

ryzen 5 2400g with a 1060 6gb ?

2400g is like $150 now which isn't worth it at all. the 2200g provides like 90% of the performance of a 2400g and costs $50 less or even more than that. try and find a 2400g for ~$120 or just get a 2200g and then upgrade it in 2 years to an r5 3600x or something

or get a I5 8400?

i5 8400 if at around ~$150 is a way, way better purchase than the 2400g. pair it with a cheap b360 motherboard and you should be good to go for the next few years

the i5 8400 and a Gtx 1060 6gb combo how much years is going to survive?

>2018
>intel

Go back to Jow Forumspcmasterrace

Attached: just.jpg (537x255, 39K)

at these ddr4 ram prices, fuck upgrading. I'm still trucking on with my i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz and 32GB of cheap DDR3.

What are you needs user, what's your monitor refresh rate, do you want to play at maximum settings or is "reasonable" medium-high good enough for you?

>intel
good goy

Attached: intel.jpg (700x700, 58K)

medium high at 1080p it's cool

If I am reading correctly you're going to need DDR 4 ram for this processor.

yeah, obviously

For gaming? Intel.

The CPU will last you 2 years 100% with no problems. Realistically though, you are looking at a 5+ years usage, with 6-10 years mark being where you HAVE to upgrade because by that point things will simply demand more cores/more speed.
Your GPU on the other hand, that's something you will likely need to upgrade in 2-4 years.

I didn't think the DDR 4 necessity started until i7, guess I was wrong.

It has the performance similar to 2600k, so it doesn't suck.
t. former 8320 owner, now 2600k owner

>It will mainly be for gaming but i do some editing in Vegas every now and then.

Then get Ryzen. The lower clocked 8 cores will not hurt your FPS much at 1080p or even less if you're higher than that, but that doubled core count will make your editing life much nicer.

I use my PC for heavy gaming but also side freelance work as a digital artist (Lots of CPU rendering with Corona, VRay and Arnold) and it's been beautiful. Game frame rates are not an issue at with my 1700 at 3.7ghz and the cores obliterate the only render times I had on my 4790k

based
>8 cores
7 spectre/meltdown variants

maybe more

imagine...

and if I get an i5 8600? It will last the same right?

the expensive prices

This. My 8350 performs every bit as good as my 2600k. It's really great for regular day to day stuff. I wouldn't buy one these days, but they actually aged very, very, well.

actually someone should play ariel team

come on go- i mean boys

i5 6600 here and way more than enough

8600 is a better 8400 so yes it should last a bit longer/better performance. The main thing about 8400 is that it's the best bang for buck for gaming. It doesn't need a powerful motherboard, overpriced RAM, powerful cooler and more powerful PSU and so on.
So if you want to make one purchase, don't want to upgrade for 5-10 years and got the money the 8700k is best in performance.
If you want the best bang for buck to hold you over until new CPUs come out within 2-5 years then 8400 with other bang for buck parts are best. You save some money now, that you will be able to put into a better build in some years.

Lastly do you plan to just game, or stream as well? Because then you should consider something like ryzen 2600

na, only gaming

thanks for the advice man, I appreciate

8400 is dogshit for games and throttles to hell and back. Playing games @ 2.8Ghz lmao
It will also be limited by cheaper motherboards contrary to what you say.

>8400 is dogshit for games
All the benchmarks prove otherwise.
>and throttles to hell and back
>It will also be limited by cheaper motherboards contrary to what you say.
B360 motherboard will give it all it will ever need. So no power throttling there. And the stock cooler can provide it with almost all it needs, in certain warm climates it might need a cheap 20-30dollar aftermarket cooler which will be complete overkill for it, but will literally make it impossible to thermally throttle.

I realize you are rooting for AMD user, but don't lie to other anons.

What do you plan on getting after the 970?

fpbp
thread should have ended here

AMD is basically better than Intel in every way except getting 255 fps instead of 265. Intel is a diseased company.

>thread starts on /v/ people recommend intel for gaming and ryzen for productivity
>thread gets moved to Jow Forums
>suddenly amd shilling intensifies

except it isn't, unless the fpbp retard doesn't care of how many microstutter frames his game, unoptimized for AMD cpu, will drop every ten seconds.

t. user of both brands.

Lol the topmost post in Jow Forums says about not for the discussion of technology and related topics and this is the first post I see

Very nice =D

every board has its own culture.
g - shill "non-jew" and/or open-source products
v - insulting as hard as possible to bait that sweet You out of unsuspecting young'uns
vg - posting underage girls' feet in their OP, no matter what subject of general discussion is

>vg - posting underage girls' feet in their OP, no matter what subject of general discussion is
Just happens in the worst generals.

Except that you have to upgrade your RAM as well. The FX is a sidegrade but still worth of consideration, even more now that software has caught up (somewhat)

I still have a 4770K which was released in 2013 and I still have not found the need to upgrade. A 5 year old CPU that just keeps chugging along. I may be tempted by Zen 2 next year though depending on prices and situation.

t. liar

>Games optimized for CPUs

lol

Let's face it. You probably won't be running a 1080 Ti on a 8400 CPU with B motherboard. So the difference is minimal. If you can get a 2600 setup for similar cost it's the better buy.

2700x should be fine, use the rest of the money for hookers and blow

t. liar w/ no arguments whatsoever

>they're finally getting rid of that hyperthreading crap
is this a good thing to you?

Intel users arent known for intelligence

Some games/emulators perform better with hyperthreading disabled, so it's probably better if you just game.

See
youtu.be/8qkXKmpOWa0

>Some games/emulators
shit ones

how about for daily runs/moderate production usage? Figure it'd be noticeable but far from the end of the world

Note how it only helps in shit games like DLCout 4, almost as if what i said here is right