/spg/ - Smartphone General

Asus ZenFone 5Z: Oneplus Killer Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: 201807AM250000001_15324538373529440073384.jpg!t500x500.jpg (500x500, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/hudson/ /220946/
second-handphones.com/samsung-s9-plus-128gb-midnight-black-unlocked-pristine.html
strawpoll.me/16171246
kimovil.com/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

will bitches get wet if i text them from my debian brick phone?

Attached: pyra-vorbestellung-standard-edition-2gb-ram-pyra.jpg.png (1000x1000, 539K)

for me its the s9

Attached: 1531417900827.jpg (1000x1000, 1.35M)

Looking for a smartphone with a decent camera that doesn't cost several million $$$. Low-light matters as well so good quality daylight but garbage low-light is just as bad as average daylight and average low-light.
So far I'm considering the nokia 7 plus, redmi note 5 pro, and moto g6. Anything else I'm missing, and otherwise which one is the best option?

Is it bad that it looks really appealing to me?

Butwhy...

Attached: 1459215543183.jpg (720x960, 189K)

Cheap smartphone that I can put a custom ROM and heavy case so it can last YEARS? Preferably with a removable battery because it will have to be replaced eventually.

What's your budget? For a good camera you're better off going with a previous gen flagship rather than a current mid range phone. Something like a Galaxy S8 can be had for 400€ now.

>getting a S8 for a good camera instead of a p20

Ishiigydi

Get the Pixel 2xl

If it's too much money for you then go for the Nokia 7+, avoid Chinese garbage

Not where I am. Minimum for even a galaxy s7 is 800€. My budget is approximately 450€.

>Preferably with a removable battery because it will have to be replaced eventually.
Sadly, not a thing after V20.

anyone use a n900 in 2018? its pretty perfect for me except i live in a remote area and want to have good phone signal. t-mobile carrier. also when the fuck is neo900 gonna release their phones?

V20?
400 isn't cheap, my mofo

After hearing so many horror stories about the P2 XL screen, I'm glad that my unit has a decent one.

Attached: 20180729_235413.jpg (1125x2000, 1.79M)

OH NO NO NO.

Attached: White-Google-Pixel-3-XL-Picture-1.jpg (900x1200, 170K)

Does Sony usually pricecut their older models when they announce something new? Wanted to pick up an Xperia X Compact or XZ1 Compact if I could get it under 300 new

Attached: sony-xperia-x-compact-test-1f.jpg (540x405, 47K)

sony phones usually have battery and heat issues out the ass, are you sure you know what you're doing?

Should have posted this photo that shows the notch more clearly

Attached: mKS72lm_d.jpg (640x854, 43K)

What is the best phone I can get for

Which button would be better served with some texture, volume up, volume down, or the power button?

what's the cheapest possible phone I can get and slap a custom rom on? I can't buy used and I need something for 40$ or something (I live in Egypt so doesn't matter which bands it has, I believe all works here) idc about size, idc about anything that much other than me being able to put AOSP or LOS on it and just using it to make calls and send whatsapp messages (most likely gonna use magisk and microg instead of galls)

I'd say the power button since it's one-of-a-kind

My question: Does the increased performance of the Nokia 7 plus justify the increased price, compared to the Xiaomeme Note 5 Pro? In other words is it worth it to spend more for it?

You missed the XZ1 Compact at 249€ during Amazon Prime Day. You can still get it around 300€.

Not since the Z5

I don't get it. The 2nd gen had a good, non-generic design so why the successor is going backwards?

Attached: google-pixel-2-xl-128gb-white-panda-D_NQ_NP_648935-MLA27293995055_052018-F.jpg (896x915, 95K)

It's the essential phone worth $250?

I still have it on backorder from prime day, but I'm thinking of cancelling now.

Attached: 1531859322481.png (640x600, 115K)

At that price, yes. The camera is kind of bad although Gcam improved things somewhat.

Sorry forgot to mention, I was considering getting a redmeme note instead.

name is the only thing which is not chink in Nokia. Nokia is owned by hmt now.

WTF, where is that? Galaxy S7 is 299€ here. Can't you order online?

I own a P20, the camera takes good pictures at night but the "AI" in the default camera app is total shit and oversaturates images and fucks up edges.

Online prices are almost the same. Even after currency conversion and shipping is accounted for, it's 1.75x the US price. These price discrepancies are basically random. Some flagships match the expected price vs the US price perfectly, some old devices are more expensive than new flagships, etc. No rhyme or reason.

What's a good browser for mobile? Already downloading Brave, Opera, Firefox and Kiwibrowser to test them myself but a quick rundown from Jow Forums would be nice. My main concern is battery consumption also how fluid it feels.

Attached: 15212799961310.jpg (664x720, 59K)

I'm getting my free(with a new unlimited data plan) p20 pro soon, what am I in for

Attached: 1532239401711.png (166x166, 14K)

And how does that even suggest that Qualcomm processors might have NSA backdoors?

An expensive mobile plan

Is the Asus Zenfone naming scheme totally incomprehensible to anyone else? I stopped buying their phones because it's fucking impossible to tell if what I'm getting is an upgrade or not

they hope that people will mistake their phone for an iphone x and buy it

Which obnoxious hardware defect will Google expect us to pay $900 for this time?

1gbps at home+ 2 unlimited data plans for 139€ is that actually expensive for you? They also throwed in an inflatable lobster, how is that a bad deal.

Attached: 1522404137472.png (483x487, 196K)

Wrong.
>HMD Global Oy, branded as HMD, is a Finnish company affiliated with Nokia. HMD is headquartered in Espoo, opposite Nokia's head office, and the company is largely headed by former Nokia executives. The first CEO was Arto Nummela, a Nokia veteran for 17 years, until July 2017 when President Florian Seiche (another Nokia veteran) took over as CEO.

Attached: Nokia-HMD-i-HERE-HQ--768x684.jpg (768x684, 115K)

>huge bezels and a notch
how does google do it?

Attached: 1526135359549.png (321x429, 300K)

Time for my Pixel 2 review
I've had it for 9 months now

Pros
>Best camera on any phone period
>Stereo speakers that can fill a room
>Fast updates
>Very fast
>Very smooth (probably smoothest Android phone)
>Good OLED display
>Unique design
>Pretty good battery life (better than my GS7)

Cons
>No headphone jack
>USB C port got kinda loose
>Big bezels

Overall it's the best phone I've owned, and after using an S7 and a 6s before it, I can say I'm not going back. My next phone will be a Pixel.

Attached: 51V4nGNPIcL.jpg (497x500, 44K)

The pixel 2s design was incredibly generic. What are you talking about?

OG Pixel

used lg g6

>I cant buy used
>something for 40$
Not doable.

Not am I recommending it, because it inevitably bootloops.

>avoid Chinese garbage
Ironically, many Chinese devices except Nokia have good custom ROM support and no ridiculous gimmicks like the ones present in the Pixel line.

Need help choosing between "budget" phones:
Moto G6, Redmi Note 5 AI, Nokia 6.1, P20 Lite or Honor Lite.

still worth picking up first gen pixel?

What's the average sot you get? And at what porcentage do you charge it? I'm tempted to get one but the regular not the XL

Software support ends in in 3 months.

that's a no then

It'll get Android P in a few months, and security updates until October 2019. After that you've got custom ROMs (it's getting official LineageOS soon) to keep you up to date.

I usually get around 4-4.5 hours, but that's with mobile data most of the day. If I stay at home or use mostly WiFi it gets about 5-6 hours.

why cant the retards at google design a phone?
they have all the resources and they have their brand aesthetic exactly how they want it (although tbqh their choice of fonts and all are shit so they do have bad taste..) so why cant they make a unique phone that looks 'google'-esque rather than a chink phone?

iphone looks like an apple product, galaxies look like a samsung phone, a google phone could literally be a xiaomi phone at first glance

But you get to pay 3x the cost of a chink phone for 15% better specs bro, that's the Google Magic

Redmi Note 5, easily

swear to god dont even consider getting a moto phone, got memed into buying a g5 last year and its been a shit ride since. The camera is bad, the thing gets hot over anything more intensive then using your browser and still no oreo 9 months later, shit even the security patches are far and few. Don't get memed into motorola like i did, be smart.

How do you know something is gonna get official LOS support soon?

It's "free", you're still paying for it, just not outright.

I don't know what country that is but sounds pretty expensive. Here 2 unlimited data plans would be 10-20€ each depending on whether you also want unlimited calls and text or not. 1gbps fiber connection (I'm not sure why you'd even need this when you can just tether your unlimited data plan) 40€/mo.

review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/hudson/ /220946/

uk here
£20 unlimited 100 down and up
4gb mobile data with unlimited minutes to people on my network, unlimited texts to everyone and 2500 minutes for £12

>tfw my phone isn't listed there

Attached: wFdJCZHeQL.jpg (633x758, 41K)

Xiaomi Mi 8

Not when everyone else is going for the glossy glass everywhere aesthetics including Apple.

What's the differente between Redmi Note 5 (global) and note 5 AI?

>galaxy s7 is 800€
watchu mean homie
I bought a refurb from here and it wworks perfectly , cost me £500 pristine
second-handphones.com/samsung-s9-plus-128gb-midnight-black-unlocked-pristine.html

Eastern european countries need not apply, when the average wage is 400€ companies need to adjust their prices in those countries, also you are fucking retarded if you think 4g speeds are in any way shape or form close to 1gbps fiber, I used to pay 100€ for 300/300 and an unlimited data/calls plan

>curved edges

Attached: NuBSehz.png (1106x1012, 71K)

>u/g/ly poster
DUDE I NEED THICC BEZELS AND A SQUARE FRAME TO HOLD MY PHONE BECAUSE IM OBESE
DUDE CURVED EDGES CRACK IF YOU DROP IT IF YOU DROP ANYOTHER PHONE THEY SURVIVE OH WAIT THEY DONT

Thankfully it will be gone next year.

What's the next gimmick after that if it does go away?

American internet subscriptions are retardedly expensive, deal with it.

You ISP and mobile provider makes stupid amounts of profits.
They only throw the Goyim a """""free""""" phone to keep them from revolting.

>t.triggered s o y fag

I hope so , by far the worst gimmick outside of no headphone jack.

folding screen.

Also, how do you know it will be gone?

>Eastern european countries need not apply
This is in northern Europe. Average wages are probably closer to 3k €.

>you are fucking retarded you think 4g speeds are in any way shape or form close to 1gbps fiber
I didn't mean to imply that. I'd just rather tether my 100M data plan and save myself 40€/mo than pay for both a mobile data and a fiber connection. I currently get a 50/50 fiber connection for free at home and I'm perfectly happy with the speeds I get with that. For the majority of people a fast unlimited 4G data plan is more than good enough to be used as the home internet connection.

You are clearly retarded I'm using Euro and I'm getting a p20 pro which they don't get in USA, I'm not in America you dumbfuck go back to farming some potato for pennies or whatever you slav niggers do for a living

So which chinkphone does /spg/ prefer?

strawpoll.me/16171246

>slav
Nope, Netherlands.

Stay poor Goy

Said that as an example price, what is the lowest price possible?

Lightning from Fdroid isn't bad but I think it's pretty dated now.

I use opera with adblock on my Moto E4, it's the smoothest up to date I have found so far. Firefox is slow even on an SD820.

Qualcomm is American CPU seller just like Intel and AMD. They will be subjected to the same requests by the American Presidents.

If you ask my Opinion, the future Kirin processors are probably safer.

>It's the essential phone worth $250?
It's a fucking steal at that price point.
Just don't forget to install gcam.

gottem

good price for the cpu and design but it has numerous quality flaws so it's a gamble

It's missing Mix 2S and Redmi Note 5

Been using my new Key2 for a month now and I'm surprisingly happy with it. I was skeptical at first but it's really nice.

Attached: file.png (1600x1069, 3.01M)

>use ishit for years
>fuck it dood moving to android
>wow bb priv looks dank
>get one
>wow this is great
>6 months later
>why the fuck is this such a laggy piece of shit and why does it run android 6 in 2017
>drop it and buy an s9
it will happen to YOU

Brave is undefeated. It is superior in functionality to similar browsers like Kiwi and Bromite.

Not everyone experiences buyer's remorse. That's why these threads are useful. But yeah, just throw more money at a phone, that always solves everything.

for me its samsung browser + adhell3
no dark mode is a no go

Why can't you buy used? If you want custom ROMs then the cheapest you could go new is probably sometime like a Redmi 5A or a LeEco Le 2 for ~$90. Anything cheaper will be a Mediatek phone from a literally who chink manufacturer with no custom ROM development at all available for it.

Have a look here, maybe you find something:
kimovil.com/en/

>just throw money at a phone, that fixes everything
it literally does though
my s9 was a £500 pristine refurb
everything werks flawlessly and it looks god tier
priv was aesthetic and all but shit irl

I personally see some potential in Mi8 SE.

It has very low price.
It also has Snapdragon 710 which is very efficient. 10nm, and 2 very fast cores like 845 and 835. Plus 6 low power cores.

It has a giant ugly notch.
Just buy vanilla Mix 2.
835 didn't get any worse.

I just wish they made a global version with B20.

Don't touch moto phones, they're absolute dogshit. That's all I can say. Going to try a redmi and see if it's any good or yet another shill-pushed Jow Forums meme.