What is preventing Linux distros from being useable?

I will start

- installation of software (some things you cant just download and hit install)

Attached: zombie.jpg (204x204, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SsgI1mkx6iw
downloads.vivaldi.com/stable/vivaldi-stable_1.15.1147.55-1_amd64.deb
itvisionDOTaltervistaDOTorg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>some things you cant just download and hit install

Attached: nicotine.gif (370x330, 325K)

a error between keyboard and chair

Games.

Attached: 1383170720556.png (1280x1280, 75K)

package managers are far better than installers but there's no helping low iq cattle with baby duck syndrome

pacman -S

boy that was hard

Nope, snaps is better. Even Ubuntu is using it.

Attached: 1532201721483.gif (165x142, 100K)

I would hope so, they created it.

tech most often seeks to ease mundane tasks to make something harder means its creators have a difficulty with the idea of making something accessible

are you implicating Linux doesnt want to be as spread out in the public as Windows ?

Attached: 34ELfgR9.jpg (1252x1252, 114K)

windows:
>download installer
>click 8 times to get to the file
>click a few more times in the installer menu
debian-based gnu/linux distro:
>"sudo apt-get install [program]"
wow really inaccessible

Attached: richard.jpg (3504x2336, 2.68M)

click>write

spotted the brainlet

Attached: 1511837291169.jpg (558x614, 21K)

you. fucking mindless subhuman

> still types the name of the program + download on a search engine

that doesn't have to depend on a repository

> implying the website is not the front end to a repository

linux is unusable until they fix the filepicker

>Windows
>Download installer
>Run installer

>Linux
>Run the specific command to pull the program from the repo
>Repo may have an outdated version available; too fucking bad
>If repo doesn't have it, welcome to tarball land
>Compile that program, and don't ask for help you fucking retard
>Google for help and come up with over 9000 ways to do what you are hopefully attempting to fix

dpkg have a bunch of gui frontend for your clicking fest too.

dude look at this
youtu.be/SsgI1mkx6iw

they call it an improvement...!! I dare not ask how gaming was few years ago on Linux distros

Attached: 8e8.png (509x619, 8K)

>- installation of software (some things you cant just download and hit install)
Opinion discarded.
downloads.vivaldi.com/stable/vivaldi-stable_1.15.1147.55-1_amd64.deb

> comparing a workaround for running foreign software to installing native software
It's okay to be retarded, but keep it to yourself next time.

- Graphics driver keeps fucking up most of the time if not all the time.
- Autists think typing shit to do anything will beat few clicks in a GUI
- Same autists think having total freedom to type shit and fuck up config is better than a fool proof GUI
- Software that matter is pretty much non existent on linux
- Fonts are shit
- Still no good looking GUI for it in 2018
- Drivers are either broken or non existent if you have something that isn't popular
- They keep shitting new distros instead of focusing and improving the existing ones

I have tried a lot of distros and they all have their problems, only Puppy linux managed to work flawlessly and even if things go south you won't loose anything.

>dude look at this
Sorry but i don't care about videos made for underage people.
Based on answer it's about wine, so go fuck yourself.

what if I use an Arch distro ? or I want Adobe shit ?

also I said some things I am aware some software is for linux

Meh, gpu pass-through is a dumb parlor trick at best.

>linking to a linus video
no wonder you're such a fucking brainlet

>tries to argue about Windows > Linux
>fails to prove Linux distros are more usable
>cries foul over someone pointing out software availability = +++usability

not my fault no native software for Linux distors

Attached: 1521233044896.jpg (225x225, 12K)

Let me tell you how it's in reality.

Windows
>search for website
>go to Downloads
>download file
>open executable
>click next a few times
or (depending on the software)
>click next, uncheck 3rd party software installation, click next, uncheck search bar installation, click next, change installation path to something else, click next ...
>done

Linux
>search repo for keyword
If you find the software you're searching for
>install package
>done
If not
>search for website
>go to Downloads
If you're lucky
>download deb/rpm/executable file
>install via package manager or just run it
>done
If not
>download and extract tarball / clone repository / ...
>install dependencies via package manager
>cd tar_dir/ && ./configure && make && sudo make install
>done
If there's more to compiling it (e.g. downloading a special IDE or crap like that), then fuck everything. Nobody's got time for that. Might as well just run the Windows executable via Wine.

There is no Linux filepicker you mong
Stop using gtk environments

Quake installer was a shell script. I guess, arch support bash or a compatible shell OOTB, so they should be ok too. deb files also can be converted to basically anything.
see
Also my 8.1 is broken thanks to an update. Great usability, but at least the adobe flash updates with the system itself. No doubt adobe got money from ms to be shit on other platforms.

How can a post be so wrong, it's impossible.

he isnt

How comes linux babies are so delusional?

What is that even supposed to mean? Most of the "superior software availability" you mouthbreathers chimp about falls into either of the following:

a) Some "industry standard" software that costs thousands which is only not on Linux because they can't figure out how to port their "auto updater" DRM telemetry bullshit that always tries to run at startup.
b) Games that depend on either DirectX or (a).
c) Pajeet-tier shitware for stupid shit like adding glittery pointers or emoticons on email.

prove it

Maybe educate yourself first and will be able to write quality b8 too. Linux is shit, but your argument is retarded and fake, so nobody cares.

He did himself why would that user have to prove it? How about you prove how he isnt apparently right?

Man sure I love three letter agencies and corporations fuck me in the ass, Mmm man, feels GREAT.

wtf c) ?

>a) Some "industry standard" software that costs thousands which is only not on Linux because they can't figure out how to port their "auto updater" DRM telemetry bullshit that always tries to run at startup.
>b) Games that depend on either DirectX or (a).

again not our fault if Linux makers were right in Linux>Windows for the public we would use whatever was popular on Linux

until then if Linux distro ever comes on top or Windows dies (impossible)

the most popular form of linux will be run on servers or it will be android

Attached: 181c9914b74c3d26039ec95d4ac50f82d09a8ee3.jpg (600x525, 61K)

Not your personal researcher

if you mean windows or macos equivalents, then - imo modularity coming from 'unix philosophy' to the point that lots of individual components don't automatically work together in completely buttery smooth foolproof way, that is - without technically experienced user interference and nobody is going to take a responsibility for each thing really. yet, these *nix tools will continue being used and developed long after proprietary software companies with their projects will go down under.

i dunno, 'linux' should stop pretending to be what it's not. even most of the fancy DE projects and these easy-just-werks-yet-not-really-for-half-the-time-distros using them and directly trying to appeal normie consumer expectations are a waste of time and effort.

Attached: 1532526610206.png (909x1600, 990K)

>connected to the internet
>uses mass produced hardware components
>is safe beacuse of his OS choice

Attached: 5896f6ddcba9841eabab60fd.png (2894x2300, 162K)

It doesn't come preinstalled so there is very little market share, there is very little market share so people don't write normie friendly things for it.
The cli scares normies. So yes, you and I know that the cli is your friend and easy to use but try explaining that to claire who just wants Microsoft word on her computer.

sorry for poor grammar, i'm tired, and yes, i am partially parroting what Luke said.

Not having a prying OS really helps a lot, though.

There are people who think the average joe should use openbsd which isn't hard to use, but you know... people too lazy or retarded for reading or searching on the web. Gatekeeping isn't nice either.
>i am partially parroting what Luke said.
Ah, the vim fag?

>Windows
>Download installer
>Run installer
>All your data has been encrypted send bitcoini

>trying to appeal normie consumer expectations

and every Linux distro still tries....and tries
maybe if there was like 5 max Linux distros they would see some popularity

a good portion of linux users just distro hops...

Where can i find a linux distro that sends screenshots to the cloud?

An*

>maybe if there was like 5 max Linux distros they would see some popularity
Nope. The MS won the os wars in the 90s. It's still nice to have a choice over the usual microsoft tax.

I used Linux first about 7 years ago. I thought that it sucked. So I used Windows and sucked Bill's cock for a while. Then one day I updated my Windows 8. After waiting for the machine to install the update, since it can't update and work at the same time like Linux, I finally rebooted and ever since I kept getting blue screens. The screens give you suggestions to "fix" such as 'Wizard' and 'repair' software that naturally is only there to entertain you to think Windows is actually trying to fix itself. After many calls to India, I decided to use Linux. I've used every mainstream distro under the sun except Gentoo. Now I've settled on Arch and have been using that for 3 years because of how easy it is to use and install packages. I've been using Linux for 5 years. I will say that I will never switch back. My machine updates while I'm working on it (even kernel updates), installing packages is easy and secure, when I have a problem usually googling it will help me fix it in 2 minutes, big companies that want to get work done use Linux, and finally most of your servers run Linux. Windows only made a server OS so they can say they have their own. People who hate Linux haven't given it a good enough chance. It's really not that much different than Windows or Mac. It just doesn't run .exe files that are laden with viruses anyway.

>Inb4 AUR malware
Kys irl

try Ubuntu I hear Canonical finally learned the ropes of the biz

or if you want the mac experience try Deepin

>Windows 8
should have stayed on 7 and 10 is good now (not original)

None of them sends screenshots. :)

neither does my windows

So if I pay good money for an OS and it sucks, I'm supposed to downgrade or just wait til the next version? Are you kidding me!? If a distro sucks dick I can just install another one without chasing good money after bad. See what I'm saying?

>pay good money for an OS
you payed lol

>being this delusional

OP

Attached: captcha.jpg (485x715, 101K)

And don't forget about dependencies and their dependencies
And good luck uninstalling it

Really I didn't, it came with the computer. As pirated Windows is absolute garbage. Worse than when it actually comes from Microsoft!

its fine

Yeah if you want to turn a good machine into a paper weight.

>Really I didn't
Yeah, oem installers are free. :^)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1527355532297.jpg (670x431, 52K)

Microsoft and Apple have both cornered the UI/UX market. It's easy. It's simple. Linux? Hell no.
>b-but muh normie
Then keep your little piece of shitty software to your little shitty secret club. The rest of us are making money using shit that 1) works well, 2) is universal, and 3) is regularly updated.
>b-but muh win/max-like distros
No. Fuck that quirky shit. Fuck that uncanney valley crap.
>b-but muh win/applefag goys
Shit works. It breaks, but there's enough people using it for one of them to figure out a fix and share it, assuming Microsoft/Apple don't just fix it themselves.

Most people aren't computer literate, and I wish I could put myself in that category. However, Linux and their distros requires computer literacy that exceeds what most people on average have. Believe it or not, simple it key. Simple to you might be a line of code, but simple to the rest of mankind is a fucking button.
>b-but muh buttons
With Ubuntu, the UI felt forced as though it was never meant to exist. Perhaps Microsoft/Apple have heightened my expectation when it comes to UX/UI.

Linux already corners the virgin market. Let it stay there.

Mine are usable. 2018 isn't 1998. If you can't handle the choices, don't use it.

Linux doesn't need Windroids. Stay in your lane and away from mine.

Package not in default repo, here, import this key to trust this random internet repo. It's totally legit we promise.

>If you can't handle the choices, don't use it
Think of where desktop Linux would be if the energy spent on making 900 redundant copies of everything went into competing with Windows.

>Shit works. It breaks, but there's enough people using it for one of them to figure out a fix and share it
That's more relatable to linux as windows is a blackbox. There are situations where a reinstallation is a better choice.
>virgin market
So linux is a gaming platform now? You should decide before that shitty rant.

And who the fuck will lead that development? That's the same with BSDs. Good luck with your bullshit strategy.

>What is preventing Linux distros from being useable?

Supermaket pc come with microsoft windows pre-installed and high schools teach microsoft office.
Linux just can't compete.

Linux is entirely usable, otherwise people wouldn't use it. The only reason it's not popular among consumer markets is because nobody has even heard of a "Linux", and it usually doesn't come pre-installed on most machines. Most people do not care about the technical aspects of products, only brand name recognition.

What's your point user?

You paid for that too.

Font rendering amongst other things.

itvisionDOTaltervistaDOTorg / why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html#Summary

Attached: farage.jpg (515x350, 37K)

Linux is full, fuck off cunts

If package managers are so bad why everybody uses them nowadays? Google Play, Windows Store, Mac App Store, etc...

Downloading executables from untrusted sources is just asking for trouble, and expecting every application to have it's own daemon to run updates is plain stupid.

If a command line package manager is too hard for you, try a gui "synaptic" or better yet, a linux app store "Gnome Software".

Windows install:
>Search for software for 4 mins until finding it
>Download from slow servers
>Open explorer and navigate to Downloads
>Open installer
>No way to automate
>Installs taskbar
>Some stupid runtime missing, need to install that too
Windows update:
>Have to download new installer
or
>Use some shitty inbuilt updater
Windows uninstall:
>navigate shitty control center
>uninstall everything with libraries
>uninstaller crashes

Debian install:
>>apt search package
>>apt install package
>apt installs everything with dependencies and removes it in under 10 secs
Debian update:
>>apt upgrade
>>apt dist-upgrade to update the whole system (lightning fast)
Debian uninstall:
>>apt remove package && apt autoremove
>all dependencies uninstalled for you, no remains

Or you can use some frontend like synaptic
Or you can just use dpkg
And don't get me even started on system updates.

Installing Wine.
I tried to do this a few days ago:
>Downloaded it from the software centre; wouldn't launch, absolutely nothing
>find several guides on how to 'fix' this on the internet, all of which differ from each other in subtle ways
>Type some gibberish into command for which zero context was given in the guides (each of which, incidentally, had a subtly different version of gibberish to type in)
>Encounter various errors with no solution found in guides, because I have no idea how to use Linux or what I'm typing
>turns out that a "-d0-" I was told to type in in one guide had no obvious purpose and was ruining the command
>Remove this and download... (?) something from somewhere
>eventually get a window up that seems to be the Wine application
>no indication of how to use it
>receive yet another error before getting this window, which presumably was related
>decide to check forums since the guides were fucking worthless
>Forum posts use even more gibberish than the guides
>'oh yeah dude, you just type in kdkd/\jdjdlss/\lkdkdkd ""-+£;£;£(£(£"", this allows you to jslsid""!!"?£+3-_ and then you can use the blllaaaarrrggghhhh to schtimpf the gazkhul thraka and activate the nurgumpf V 3.4 to use Wine
>reinstalled Windows 7 almost immediately afterwards

For the people ITT who are familiar with Linux; I know you're laughing your ass off, but this is genuinely how the average dipshit views your OS. It's unusable for the layman and will likely remain so forever.

Attached: 1cae78fe7e5217335c92e53fb93ff59c.jpg (500x375, 15K)

Those are markets, they are made for discovering software, that is one thing that linux still doesn't do right

That's why Linux will never be popular on the desktop. You are just arrogant pricks. If the user experience is bad, it's the designers/ programmers fault, not the user's.

Yeah I saw that Linus Tech Tips video too.

>installation of software (some things you cant just download and hit install)
But this also applies to windows and macos.

What is Gnome Software.
Those aren't only markets, you can install software directly from them just like a package manager. In fact you could say that they are package managers or front-ends of these.

Yeah, i remember when my start menu tiles broke and couldn't be moved around, and you cunts told me to fuck myself on the forums

What's the difference between apt install and apt-get install?

Yeah, linux mint has it done perfectly (for the gui programs).
We need to do the same with tui programs like ranger, sc-im and mpd

You can download .deb files on Ubuntu.

If the user experience is bad is because people are computer illiterates, therefore it's their fault.
If someone doesn't know how to play european football and therefore can't enjoy a match, it's entirely their fault.

apt is simplified, you can use it for the basic shit
apt-get is great for getting .debs and getting the source and other unusual use cases

>some things you cant just download and hit install
Download the appimage version, or use the APP STORE. It's literally point and click at this point. The most you'll have to do is add snaps (if not included) and/or flatpaks for software on those.

I don't think that Stacy, who gave YOU to fix her shitty Acer (because installing OS for a normal person is equivalent to brain surgery) likes out of the box screen tearing either, or knows what to do when Xorg randomly breaks for one reason or another after an update (lol nvidia or lol Solus) and just shows scary scrambled crap in tty after the session crashing or simply trows you back in DM login screen saying nothing, or when GNOME slows down to shit after opening 2 or 3 programs, eventually hangs up and/or crashes too, the sleek 'justwerks' AppStore throws strange little errors when looking for Skype or Spotify, image viewer doesn't display the scanned TIFF images and trows and error regarding some library, or distro acts in seemingly unusual fashion and throws a strange "busy" error when auto-mounting/unmounting USB flash drives. That's GNU/Linux in 2018 for you and it's not like it's going to change anytime soon, get real, this shit is not for consumer.

Attached: 190844d230b80fca466e98f70977b4bef78343c1e626481ff76028be7dd2290d.png (181x194, 9K)

The user experience is fine. Literally the only problem with linux is that there is less software available for it.
People are judging you because they figure that the reason why you don't like it is because you are unwilling to learn how to use it. Otherwise, you would see that it is in many ways superior to windows.

>has a problem with windows
Oh well. Such is life.

>has a problem with linux
OMG SHITTY OS!!

This is how biased you sound.

NO GAMES

Is it hot in India this summer?

-get