Jow Forums's Unemployment Rate

How can anyone on this board be unemployed at this point?

Attached: Screenshot_20180729_145037.png (527x700, 289K)

Life finds a way

This new policie is also called the "I can't afford to pay 100k for my developers because ads industry is a bubble"

only like 1 percent of zip codes require that much money to live a decent life

I have a degree in network adminstration and a bunch of associated certs and don't even use them because my area has so many blue collar tier jobs opening up at $50k-$65k a year it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I drive a fork lift for a living. Local steel forge opened up again too. Memes aside, Trump brought a lot of manufacturing jobs back to the states and it's showing.

how did you make the transition from tech to manual labor? is having a degree any advantage at all in your world?

the degree itself is useless, having technical skills in those areas is incredibly useful though due to increasing digitization of just about every trade

How about hiring on personality and character instead of hiring based on knowledge? I bet I could teach most monkeys with a decent highschool GPA enough about programming that they'll be up and running in 3 months in a professional setting + 1 or 2 to update on our stack. The only catch is that they have to do work and not watch twitch all day like some of the monkeys coming out of diploma mills these days

I was working a bunch of minimum wage jobs like a good little slave while I was going to school for network admin and earning certs. Then I got a job offer to work for a unionized shop starting at $16 per hour with benefits to drive a fork truck. They even offered to give me $5k a year for schooling. So I started the blue collar work while they paid for my education.

Got to the point that after various raises and changes I'm earning $31/hr doing the same work as before with benefits and It just isn't worth the effort of moving to a large city that is much more expensive to live in just to get an IT job.
>is having a degree any advantage at all in your world
Lot of my workers are literal non-meming boomers who find it amazing I know about computers and networks but I drive a fork. The degree doesn't help in my field really anymore. However in my field I deal with chemicals and flammable stuff so I had to get taught a whole mess of Shit to be allowed to handle them. I could literally walk into any warehouse or company with these under my belt and start at $21 an hour just driving a fork lift.

>bet I could teach most monkeys

google is actively trying this

Attached: google black.png (913x833, 410K)

oh and this user is right For instance most warehouses worth a damn use a system called SAP to manage their inventories. SAP is a bloated mess that crashes more often than not but I was considering going to school to learn how to manage these systems because it would open doors to a six figure job. Combine that with the fact that I've been with the company for years now and they consider my education to be an in house investment.

Attached: pepe laugh1.jpg (258x245, 12K)

>Lot of my workers are literal non-meming boomers who find it amazing I know about computers and networks but I drive a fork. The degree doesn't help in my field really anymore.
isn't the job mind numbing, though? how many hours do you work? how do you keep up with tech?

damn so I don't need a college degree + 4 years exp to start out at $14/h anymore? My life is saved!

i'm afraid to join a union shop. i feel like a union job would turn my brain to complete mush... especially when you are only allowed to work at the pace of the laziest union member so that no one looks bad.

>mind numbing
absolutely but honestly, many jobs are. Even as a network admin my job would be baby sitting the network to ensure nothing breaks and to keep the office worker's PCs from dying.
>keep up with tech
I'm interested in tech as a hobby so I always read on the latest and greatest PC parts, scientific/technological break throughs etc. Honestly I feel if my hobby became my job, I'd start to hate my hobby. I have self built computers, a server with multiple RAID arrays, good HBA, UPS, triplicate backups, etc.

>work at the pace of the laziest union member
lol no. Not every union is like that at all. Our union is literally only in place to stop the scum bags in management from stepping all over the contract. Vacation days and sick days being honored, not being forced to do unsafe work, etc.

The unions who act like you're saying are what give unions bad names.

>tfw closed shop public government unions were destroyed last month

Attached: 1522426399282.jpg (227x294, 14K)

explain. I don't keep my ear to the ground when it comes to what our governments are doing. Just makes me depressed.

Supreme Court ruled government employee unions couldn't compel people to join them as a condition of employment nor pay "fair share" fees anymore.

Teaching on the job at a low wage to begin with should be the defacto hire policy. If more employers were willing to train people before setting them loose on the real work and not treating them like mules, employees might be encouraged to stick around. Offer a carrot not a stick in return for loyalty.

Imagine complaining about this. If you want to get anywhere in life you always take the position of power even if that means being inconvenienced, except you're acting lazing around is a dealbreaker.

fucking good. While unions have their uses, many are corrupt. Like mine. UAW had some sincere corruption at the very top of the ladder with people stealing a shit load of money to buy cars and make mortgage payments.

Right to work should totally be a thing in my opinion. Gives a reason for unions to actually stay useful and not just steal money from their workers every month.

There is a law that says if you don't want to join a union you still have to pay a fair share fee to the union and while you benefit from the contracts you don't get protection from the union.

This supreme court decision made it so that you don't have to pay the "fair share" fees.

Its basically so scabs don't have to pay, hardly anyone does this in the first place so it isn't super relevant.

there's some military grade autism on this board, you won't get a job if you can't get past the first interview

>Got my job through connections, as junior developer and junior automation engineer at a small startup
>Started with little knowledge on the subject, just my basic programming knowledge
>learned really quick and started pulling lots of work
>coworkers and boss are really happy with my performance
>get a fixed contract with great salary for a junior developer

Real talk, without connections you're not going to get anywhere. Of course you need the skills and will to use the connections by actually putting in effort at work, but without them you're basically fucked and destined to wander from internship to internship until someone actually hires you.

>hardly anyone does this in the first place
Because the average 'Fair Share' fee was 87% of the full membership, so there was almost no difference you worthless tripfaggot. Now that employees will have the choice between 100% and 0% things will look just a little different.

clock watching is soul draining more than any hard effort job.

yea it's called "right to work". Our union kind of understands that they're on thin ice and that if they piss off their members, the union employees will take the bonus being offered by the company to ditch the union. So the union does everything the can to stay relevant.

I just sent 5 applications and 4 companies wanted me. I have a degree though, but no connections needed.

I actually contact my union rep to resolve work issues where my employer isn't honoring the union contract so I have a different viewpoint and think the investment in the union is worth it.

this The union is nice to deal with problems with supervisors/salary team. You fees make it so you just say "I have a problem" and the union rep takes care of it.

Depends on your area and country, now that I have experience under my belt I keep getting offers. But I know of people who keep trying to find a good job and they can't find anything as programmers, for me my degree wasn't enough, every place I applied to asked for a minimum amount of experience and every time I did an interview successfully they'd end up emailing me saying they chose someone with more experience instead, even though I had a nice CV.

Don't like it then don't work for the government, problem solved. This wouldn't have happened if public unions didn't become so heavily one sided and donate hundreds of millions of dollars exclusively to one political party for 4 decades that it became a 1st Amendment issue.

These days, a degree is a good but doesn't prove you can actually code. Naturally, companies would want something on top of that.

If you want a poor deadend code monkey job, yes you can get that today if you wanted to.

But I need time to watch my anime, so autismbox it is.

>Jow Forums - Employment

>added requirements after the recession
Yes, because the right way to respond to people needing jobs is to make it harder for them to get them.

>Live in the UK

How will this affect the job market in Romania?

Because I don't like to wagecuck like you sheep. Enjoy slaving away for some pig that sits around and keeps all of the profits while throwing scraps at you, his little dog.

>first jobs
>requires prior experiences
what the fuck amerilards

It's the same here.

I wouldn't even hire me.

I have a YUGE gap in my resume, so i'm probably unemployable.
Even if a miracle happens and my resume somehow doesn't immediately land in a trash bin, i won't be able to pass the interview.
Either because the floor will be full with spaghetti or because i just can't fake all that flaming enthusiasm.

Even if my mouth can say:
>Yes Sir/Madam, I'd LOVE to dedicate my life to your company and make my boss more money! That was my childhood dream! I spent every second of my free time learning about your SPLENDID company and ILLUSTRIOUS services it provides! I'd be ETERNALLY grateful if you would give me an opportunity to prove my LOYALTY to your company, to the management and the shareholders! What is that? You will call me back? That's really wonderful! You're sooo kind!

my eyes will still look like on the picrelated

Attached: 1000 yard stare.jpg (1392x1600, 351K)

I've never had a "connection" in my life and I've gone from being an unemployed college graduate to making 6 figures and having 3 jobs under my belt in 4 years. Skills speak for themselves.

kek

Attached: 1520803787132.jpg (1024x679, 124K)

>talk about working for tech company isn't allowed in the tech board

Attached: (You).png (669x514, 25K)

They think it's cheaper to hire someone with experience

Reminds me of stories of phds being bus drivers. Imagine, your bus driver having contributed more to human knowledge than you ever will, plus helps transport people too.

kekd

This.
I've been thinking about what if someone made a free software alternative

This.
I've seen one guy's interview where he stood on airs saying he could code circles around code monkeys, asked one of our female coworkers the moment they met that she looked tired (before giving her permission to ask him questions), and then when asked about language basics complained about feeling like he was being treated like a high schooler.

He got the questions wrong anyway.

because i hate working