/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1532893227386.jpg (2048x1536, 1.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-binaries
github.com/UnitedRPMs/chromium-pepper-flash/blob/master/chromium-pepper-flash.spec
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
linuxnix.com/what-you-should-know-about-linux-dd-command/
etcher.io/
oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch01.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: flube.gif (460x405, 98K)

That playground toy blueprint is proprietary. stallman would not be using it

Sup 9gag friend.

Attached: 1531829487803.gif (292x278, 370K)

I'm stating fact.

why cant i find pepper-flash in void's repository? it should be there r-right s-senpai?

I can't set the font of my terminal to bold, anyone got an idea why? It worked on my previous install of opensuse, on this one it does not (even though it's the same ISO).

Flash is dead. Let it rest.

is anyone else here using linux and has a graphics tablet? could you run two simple commands for me so that i can try to make my tablet behave?
the commands are:
xinput list
this lists all your input devices. from there, you just need the id number of your tablet's pointer / pen device from the second column. then run
xinput test ID
then tap your stylus on the tablet (once is fine - i just need to see how it reports pressure), press CTRL+C and then copy and paste the output onto pastebin and link it here.
thanks anons, i know i can count on you.

Attached: 1512120219837.png (720x1080, 760K)

is chrome available on void?

its called linux gnu is a goat

surely you mean ungoogled-chromium?
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-binaries

I really hate it when my distro doesn't have a forum. I feel so lonely. Mailing lists don't fill the void.

get on IRC then

y'all mofos need to use dwm
we keeping it Ten toes down for real
fuck ur bloat

Can you reword that as if you're talking to a white person?

talking like a white person is bloat

ungoogled chromium lacks pepper-flash which is a must for me

Your mother is bloat which is why your dad left her.
You could just install it yourself if you really need it. The URLs are in here: github.com/UnitedRPMs/chromium-pepper-flash/blob/master/chromium-pepper-flash.spec

I used dwm for a while. It's nice and bare, if that's what you want, but I got to missing a more traditional desktop environment. I'll prob try cinnamon next.

After changing my SSD to NVME my Void Linux sometimes thinks that installed software is not actually installed, even though it is.

So I install "A". It works as intended, but if I try to uninstall it, it says that "A" is not installed.

What could be the reason?

Is there something like Gentoo but with Runit instead of slow-ass OpenRC (runit in Gentoo is barely working as an initial system) and not dead (has recent software, such as TexLive-2018)?

Stop installing spyware.

>tfw you used to hate bloated shit too but then got a better machine and started appreciating the workflow modern gnome offers you despite it's inefficiencies.
turns out microsofts approach of "throw more money at something if it doesn't work well enough" works

Attached: 36c.jpg (680x496, 33K)

Tiling window managers are the one meme I cannot fall for. Keyboard management is slow, and I never want my windows to automatically resize.

I was forced to use KDE for a week instead of my favorite bspwm. It was terrible.

>workflow modern
>meme buzzwords for someone who sits at home and watches hentai all day
Gnome has had decades to fix it self and it only made its self more shit

Please learn what meme means.

Why do you guys use Linux instead of a normal OS?

There's no Adobe, productive software or games on it, why to make their lives more difficult when you can just being using what everyone else uses?

And I know that there's Gimp,Lightworks and other stuff but I have been using all these programs and they are terrible, premiere and photoshop/lightroom are way better, I used Archicad to design my room. I hate Windows and Mac and I wish that they made more good programs for GNU/Linux but is what we have, why you use Linux?

>why you use Linux?
Good WM, better for coding and related tasks.
I have a drive with Windows for games.

I'm in a bunch of computer systems and software engineering courses at school and knowing how to use Linux is basically a must for me. I work so much faster than all of my classmates who have no idea how to work on the student server without using PuTTY and WinSCP.

Void Linux is shit and/or you misconfigured your storage. What does dmesg say?

This bait might have been worth biting a decade ago.

fucking this
dwm isn't a fucking meme, it's where the real shit is at.
i3 is a fucking meme

>There's no productive software
There's plenty of productive software if you're a programmer. Your options are basically "run Linux" or "run some other OS and then run Linux in a VM" for many things

Can I use the 32-bit lubuntu cd image on a flash drive? I mean installing a cd image from a usb drive.

>32 bit
Unless it's a Pentium 4 or older I highly doubt that's necessary.

I think you also need to learn what it means.

Yes, every x86 iso image is hybrid and can be used on CDs or USB drives since forever.

ok i installed debian sid for wine32 (with massive bugs all along the route) what should i install tonight (and blog)

i installed that yesterday

build a cross-compiling toolchain that is not in debian repos
medium mode: targets a different C library like i686-pc-linux-uclibc
hard mode: targets a different arch and C library like arm-hardfloat-linux-uclibc

o wow haha
what does this mean
are you trying to make me learn

So I got Linux Mint 19 on dualboot and been toying around in it, picking the proper driver for my GPU and such. So I decided to check the gaming performance by loading up Insurgency on Steam, as it got native Linux support. While ingame it works fine visually, but the sound is stuttering like fuuuck. It can be remedied by increasing snd_mixahead but the sound gets delayed by a whole 2-3 seconds. I am also noticing some audio hiccups every now and then while watching streams. Could it be because I am still on a decade old CREATIVE LABS Audigy card?

lspci output:
Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs EMU20k1 [Sound Blaster X-Fi Series]

Go to arch pulseaudio wiki page

>Could it be because I am still on a decade old CREATIVE LABS Audigy card?
you are not alone, ditched the card and never had these problems again. pulseaudio has a ton of configuration and you can probably get it working somehow tho.

i need to have it

I have the same card on a secondary PC running the latest debian, no sound issues.

What's the best Debian ISO to have an easy instalation with drivers?

I've been trying to install Debian in my HP laptop for a while, but it crashes constantly due to AMD drivers.

At first even the Live distro didn't boot (it crashed at "fb switching to amdgpudrmfb"), and once I managed to install it it woudn't start.

I know the drivers to my computer exist and work OK. I'm using Linux Mint right now with no problem, but I would love to use some LTS Debian.

Attached: 47b.jpg (665x574, 24K)

If your laptop has a Raven Ridge (Ryzen/Vega) APU just stick with Mint. Debian doesn't have new enough kernels.

eventually got to the troubleshooting page and found the bit about buffers, which I suspect is the problem
>do pactl list sinks
>see this
>device.buffering.buffer_size = "131072"
>device.buffering.fragment_size = "65536"

doesn't this seem a bit .. low?

The absolute retard.

can i run linux without the linux kernel?

debian have 4.17 user

>windows subsystem for linux
>still no linux subsystem for windows
c u c k e d

Attached: tapestry.png (699x699, 611K)

fresh install of void linux but the fucker been there for a few minutes now
i heard void linux 1st boot took some time but damn

Attached: 20180729_200735.jpg (3264x2448, 1.34M)

Attached: 1532909504564.jpg (2272x1704, 992K)

What causes the new wave of void users?

no one running linux wants windows

Linux is a kernel.

*kernal

*karnel

*you dont want

try the non-free edition and see if you're missing any other drivers.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>nonfree software recommendations

Attached: 15327070031910.jpg (428x395, 28K)

drivers aren't software

who the fuck cares, it's just drivers.
no one here wants to write drivers for obscure things in their computer.

what do you mean ??? 4.17 ?

this is my debian stable install
$ uname -v
#1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-1 (2018-07-05)

and my debian sid install
$ uname -v
#1 SMP Debian 4.15.4-1 (2018-02-18)

why is the sid less updated wtf

o nevermind i get it
9 is less than 15..........
i should delete this post sorry Jow Forumsuys

they really should put that "0" before the 9
to make it 4.09

>just drivers
Software that runs with highest privileges.

dude, i was on 4.16 weeks ago. 4.17 should be available already.
>4.15 on debian sid
do you even dist-upgrade?

So i'm assuming you're using libreboot?
And have absolutely 100% free everything?

no
i keep getting massive bugs reported from apt-listbugs so i cancel it

i tried it on virtualbox last night (and blogged it here) and it was still 26 bugs

NaN

Do you have copyright permission from the photographer to post this image freely?

your best bet is to upgrade because a new version is more likely to get patched then waiting for a patch for a depracated version, retard

Why is Linux so shit at making bootable USBs?
I swear with Windows it was literally just installing Rufus and waiting a few minutes, with Linux I have to hunt for some startup disk creators that don't even work.
I've been trying for 2 hours now to try to find one that works for making a Windows ISO bootable but literally none of them work.
Why can't Rufus be ported to Linux?

scroll down to example 8 you absolute mong.
or theres
linuxnix.com/what-you-should-know-about-linux-dd-command/

oops
or theres
etcher.io/

Friendly Reminder: GNU and FSF exists because Richard "M" Stallman got a hissyfit at a printer being proprietary, yet printers are still proprietary. Richard Stallman has contributed literally nothing to the world.

wasn't it because they introduced passwords?

what is this meme i must know

so if i did this how do i test the cross compilation ?
is an i686 program different from amd64 program?
so i'll need both of these architectures? (i.e. different virtualboxes)

trying to cross compile from linux/windows is the ultimate dream of course

>stallman sends his manuscript to the printer
>printer fucked up
>patches it sort of
>wants to fix it further with source
>xerox person won't give him the source code because NDA
>mit gets a completely closed source printer
>stallman REE's for the rest of his life
but whats even better is:
>Memory is a funny thing. Twenty years after the fact, Stallman's mental history tape is notoriously blank in places. Not only does he not remember the motivating reason for the trip or even the time of year during which he took it, he also has no recollection of the professor or doctoral student on the other end of the conversation.
>When asked directly about the request, however, Sproull draws a blank. "I can't make a factual comment," writes Sproull via email. "I have absolutely no recollection of the incident."

so more than likely stallman either lied or conflated/exaggerated events, and it was probably something incredibly minor.

also for the denser version
oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch01.html

>linux dd

You srsly put too much work in feeding your stallman hate obsession. Get help, bro.

you got it wrong.
i don't hate stallman at all, i admire him in many ways.

Alright, this seems like a common problem according to google but nothing seems to work: Screen tearing with LXDE, how do I fix it?

>Tried Force Full Composition Pipeline
>Tried compton --vsync opengl-swc --backend glx (maybe need to use a different vsync option)
Helped a little bit but not completely. Also I'd rather avoid using a compositor.

Thinking I might need to go into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d but don't know what I would edit.

Pic related is my screenfetch.

Attached: 1532914735.png (797x469, 96K)

When I work with consulting customers who force windows on their devs and admins, it amazes me how many still use putty. SSH with an x server on powershell is a built-in now, not to mention stuff like mobaxterm. Why don't people research tools to do their job?! It's like an engine technician using a hammer for every task.

nvidia-settings
x server display config
click advanced
check force full composition pipeline

Already said I did that.

Where can I get one of these?

Attached: 1532915094177.jpg (500x315, 23K)

did you actually overwrite your xorg?
it worked immediately for me.

Yes I saved to X Configuration File. Gonna try restarting and seeing if that works.

try saving it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That is an illegal image and i am going to file a DMCA complaint against this image.
Do not post images you do not have proper permissions from the photographer.

Windows Server 2008 had a Linux subsystem for Windows, had a nice csh shell and many Linux utilities. It has been around for ages.

Attached: tip.png (1920x1155, 115K)