This shit was a mistake

This shit was a mistake.

Attached: index.png (538x94, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kusti8/proton-native
twitter.com/leafmuncher/status/943329849849999361
infoworld.com/article/3261066/java/javafx-will-be-removed-from-the-java-jdk.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Explain to me why this crap was made in the first place. If it always packages a copy of a web browser with itself, why does it even exist? Everyone has a web browser already.

Because brainlets can't wrap their heads around Qt for multi-platform desktop applications

Why? I use atom it’s pretty ok

Okay.. but let's say you're a brainlet or pajeet.. so use JavaFX. It's still 10x better than Electron.

based pajeet

This and feedback-looplets like

Electron can be great for the future of Linux desktop. Programs being written in Electron means more programs being available in Linux.

Attached: 1501335571_perrocaca.jpg (500x375, 39K)

attracting more people doesn't necessarily mean better

QT is much, much better

because of the rapidly evolving shitfest of CSS corner rounding features. what works now for a webshit might be broken or be done in a more o r g a n i c way in chrome 420
basically static linking by including the baby, the bathtub, the bathtub water and the whole fucking house

Not that I like seeing people using this slow shit, but I understand exactly why they do it.

Why spend extra money hiring a C++ or Java developer just to make a Qt or JavaFX frontend application when you can do everything with HTML, CSS, JS for cheaper? Not to mention If done correctly it should work directly over on mobile as well.

Made a thread the other day about how insane it's getting. My near vanilla Atom install is over 500MB, far more than chrome or firefox, and even larger than GIMP.

Giving the future of frontend away to web devs was a mistake. Ultimately the issue is for a "One size fits all" kind of system which is why it eats up so many resources because it has to be able to do so many things regardless of how simple your shit is.

github.com/kusti8/proton-native

Now something called Proton Native is being developed.

React that renders natively to the target OS UI widgets.

>React

Also is this going to become another deal where there will eventually be 50+ different web frontends just like there are 50+ JS frameworks?

Attached: 1528599950280.png (250x250, 92K)

>50+ different web frontends
What exactly do you mean by that?

Because it's smoother, can utilize resources better, and has features you can't do in a browser. Discord is a prime example of this.

Like we Have Electon right now. I see Proton is now a thing. Will we eventually get Plankton, Gaviton, and so forth? Just like we have React, Vue, Angler, etc etc etc. Web Devs seems like the type that like to make lots of things to do the same job.

call me a boomer/zoomer/whatever but i hate everything pertaining to javascript. javascript is definitely the biggest mistake in technology since windows

Why do you hate javascript? As a language it has some weird quirks but it works and if you aren't retarded you can avoid them.

Each framework accomplishes the goal in its own unique way. Competition breeds excellence.
Following your logic we should only have true programming language...

I would agree with you in 2008.
In 2018 JavaScript has profoundly changed. Look up EcmaScript 7 specifications.

If you look at C, C++, etc there are fewer frontend frameworks that do their shit great and have hundreds of people that keep them going. I can't really say the same about Javascript. Web Devs definitely have the notation of "I want to be famous and people to use my shit rather than contribute to XYZ and make it a better tool".

>eczemascript

There are substantially more web developers than there are C++ developers, hence the increase in number of frameworks.

>web developers are cheaper and get stuff done faster
this is a myth

My point stand, it's far better to contribute to fewer and better frameworks than be a special snowflake in a corner that eventually gets forgotten about because people stopped caring about your dumbass. It's wasted effort.

kek

+1

looks mean

The idea of writing UI's in JS actually made me retch.

MSHTML.dll >>>> electron

That looks like a downgrade from Electron desu. Unless they are hiding the documentation for it, it appears you are stuck with the components they have defined and how those components work. So it's not like in C++ with Qt where you can basically make your own custom functionality and display. You're stuck using what they think is only needed which is ass.

>Implying Qt is anything but utter-shit.

>t. code artisan

Still easier for a shitter to develop on Electron. Nowadays if you know HTML5 and javascript, you can program on every platform there is: Node.js in the back-end, React-Native for Android and iOS, and Electron for desktop. I think you can do this on Qt as well but it isn't supported that much.

Attached: 1527940041029.png (1076x779, 523K)

Because its very very easy to make good looking "desktop applications" that are of decent speed.

If every app that used electron just fucking updated their chromium version we'd all be having a god damn party. I had a specific issue with vscode because of chromium on my (Dell) laptop and I got Microsoft to update the chromium version. Because of that the issue was fixed and a whole other bunch of shit was just faster because of it.

spotifys desktop version is a piece of slow outdated shit, and it's not because of the ads.

If a web developer wants to develop for the desktop, maybe they should look up practical applications to learn the skill. Instead of botching their current skills into something that's detrimental to the desktop scene

Attached: 1524309978384.jpg (375x375, 29K)

Based and redpilled

quick make a desktop app that acts in a decentralized manner across any number of peers running any operating system without using electron (without taking 5 years)

fuck Jow Forums you're stupid

>Electron can be great for the future of Linux desktop. Programs being written in Electron means more programs being available in Linux.

But why not just make sure your "app" runs in wine, and then simply package wine with it, so that you have one simple, easy executable that just works?

Who cares if the user already has wine installed? Just ship your own version with your app.

>But why not just make sure your "app" runs in wine, and then simply package wine with it, so that you have one simple, easy executable that just works?

Because you shouldn't have to write wrappers for an app and then update it everytime the application updatesl, that's fucking inconvenient, and not to mention costs extra overhead from having wine running, even if it is a couple of megabytes it's still overhead

Although I agree with this I feel like Electron is nice because it allows people who are good with design to develop something quickly without spending time trying to figure out how to C++ and inadvertently causing a fuckload of memory leaks and other problems that would arise.

I think it's the same idea as why someone who understands how understands Machine Learning and wants to develop something quickly without having to deal with a bunch of shit would find a framework like Keras preferable because of the high level abstraction that it offers, so that they don't spend time trying to implement their own Neural Network library which would be extremely time costly

>its another thread complaining about x instead of solving it
sounds familiar

I mean I use electron for a few commercial applications, its great for many reasons. One being that it comes bundled with an auto updater so that makes pushing updates easier , two making good looking ui's takes very little time and finally it can just be ported to other operating systems very easily. The hello world is around 70mb but your ram usage wont climb that much after that. I often pair it with python however and use zeromq as an ipc method , over all its just good at making good looking professional applications.

Attached: electron-api-demos.png (708x628, 106K)

>Although I agree with this I feel like Electron is nice because it allows people who are good with design to develop something quickly without spending time trying to figure out how to C++ and inadvertently causing a fuckload of memory leaks and other problems that would arise.

But it also allows people that are well capable of more lower level applications to make an application with a rapid turnaround
ie; plexamp
twitter.com/leafmuncher/status/943329849849999361

Get with the times, grampa!
I'm currently working on an android app, that I wrapped a JS-version of virtualbox around that now lives in electron. But since I packaged a windows version of electron and the future is multiplatform, I'm wrapping this electron instance in wine!
It's all very simple and cool, and the new macbook now comes with 32GB of RAM anyways.

>But it also allows people that are well capable of more lower level applications to make an application with a rapid turnaround
What? The whole point of programming is to make other people's lives easier, not harder. If someone wants to specialize in UI design, they should because at the end of the day if they hate working with a lower level language theyre not gonna be able to design a good application to the best of their abilities because of all the technicalities they have to deal with.
I agree that apps should be faster but generally when certain things become abstracted, it allows people to do things that are more relevant to what they want to. Electron should just be made faster

Ya lets just make our apps shittier and not worry about writing good code cause machines are fast enough to handle it xDDD

>twitter.com/leafmuncher/status/943329849849999361
Hahaha what the fuck.

Did anyone use FOX-Toolkit that can give some opinion on it? I like the Win2K, 95, 98 look it has and despite being rather old it still seems to be active.

> electron
> free of memory leaks
Pick one

Attached: 1532538205551.jpg (1200x1084, 131K)

It's successful for a reason. If programmers didn't want it, it would not be where it is today.

Attached: v-20_c-1_b-2_g-m_9-1_1-1_16-14_3-3_8-2_7-2_5-2_12-1_6-98_10-7_2-47_22-5_15-3_18-3_19-3_4-2.png (1400x1400, 147K)

How come ungoogled electron isn't a thing by now?

Attached: 1402929832630.jpg (580x376, 69K)

Why not just package Windows 10 with your app?

>wine
kill yourself

Isn't that just Docker?

>eczema
JavaFX

Attached: 1520362556061.png (300x300, 128K)

It was already solved with things like Qt, GTK, and JavaFX but brainlets are too fucking stupid to use them. So things like Electron popped up anyway.

Attached: 1511299116721.jpg (320x320, 17K)

Why isn't Oracle promoting JavaFX more?

Attached: 1517834131525.png (1000x815, 676K)

Electron doesn't have memory leaks. It just uses a shit ton of memory which is considered normal for Electron apps.

Attached: 1520193006609.jpg (703x685, 71K)

Because Java has pretty much been relegated to server applications which usually run headless anyway so there isn't much need for it. Plus, C# kind of won out over Java when it came to desktop applications because of the somewhat unfair advantage it had over Java and other languages when running on Windbows.

Attached: 1507469300320.jpg (962x962, 467K)

>write garbage code
>BUT IT WAS FASTER TO WRITE!!!!
This meme needs to die ASAP.

I see it more along the lines of this is the first iteration of a concept that can only get better. Yes, at the moment, it's bloated and pretty shitty, but that's also because this is one of the first effective implementations of the web-to-desktop concept.

It's like Javascript. Old school JS was fucking awful, ES7 JS is pretty damn good. Give it ten years and we'll see a lot of good shit on a good web to desktop platform. Just needs some time to evolve and figure out best practices first.

They are promoting, yeah.
infoworld.com/article/3261066/java/javafx-will-be-removed-from-the-java-jdk.html

Not really. Development with a non-compiled language allows for faster, direct feedback, which speeds up iteration times by a lot.

It's more like most devs don't care about making special software for desktop PCs, which would take longer to develop for a smaller market share. So it'd be wasted time and money to develop a front-end in C++ for a market that is smaller than the mobile market.
Electron allows them to sidestep this issue and develop for any platform that can run a browser.

Electron offers a larger API for lower-level access to the computer. Things like an in-window file browser, and other things that rely on widespread access to local resources, are a lot easier to make in Electron than in a plain ol' JS webapp.

t. embedded engineer whose company maintains an Electron-based application that our customers use to program our products

Attached: tumblr_pc6sn7lCp51smmuvzo1_1280.png (800x755, 257K)

thanks for the garbage

why?

is it not possible for a compiler to compile a DOM-based application that can only be modified in enumerable ways into a native app without browser overhead?

I like that desktop programs are making a resurgance. I'd much rather have a tailored application that integrates into my desktop rather than one stuck in the browser. However, these apps are anything but; repackaging the browser version, including a few keybinds, and adding a taskbar item is just a company trying to turn it's product into a 24/7 service on your computer.

it will be if web-assembly takes off

its* product

Electron framework is now owned by microsoft btw.

It was a part of the github aquisition deal.

Bad bait

honestly i think electron is genius. To the haters, have you ever made desktop GUI apps natively? Its a fucking nightmare. Have you made web apps? It's fucking easy. So, why not port that functionality to desktop applications?

you're welcome desu, our customers love it

Don't you at least scratch your head when the largest program on your computer is a text editor?
I'm not a gentoo user or anything, but cmon.

"programmers"

fucking thank you

>gui applications is a fucking nightmare
t. brainlet
Step 1 - Download QtCreator
Step 2 - Install QtCreator
Step 3 - Create new Qt project
Step 4 - Compile said project

That was so hard guyz

>et that is smaller th

I was trying to elaborate on this point last night but Jow Forums had a sql error

I think that high level abstraction is good because it gives people more freedom to actually excel at what they're good at but at the same time it's up to the electron developers (and if it's open source, everyone) to optimize it so it runs far more efficiently.

I personally don't have that much of a problem with it and never seemed to have and I think that it's great for some small applications that I've seen but if you're going to implement an application on a larger scale it needs to be faster or you could just pick a better framework like Qt

Other than VS Code, Atom and Discord App I am not aware of programs that use Electron
I think Jow Forums blows this thing out of proportions

I think Spotify uses Electron as well
but yea I haven't seen any major project use electron that gets taken seriously