Why is Windows still using a registry?

Why is Windows still using a registry?
They should get rid of it going forward and just keep a virtualized version for backwards compatibility.

Attached: registryedit.jpg (647x409, 105K)

Because text files are too mainstream.

Does modern programs even use it? And Store programs?

The moment they allowed third party programs to mess with it was the moment they fucked up. It would be a nice idea if it was for system maintenance only.

The original purpose of the windows registry was to provide a centralized facility for storing configuration information that would've been stored in individual .ini files. Years later it's become massively abused and people somehow think a couple of bytes left over from an unclean install somehow matters.

what is windows rot

Yes and no. Some store stuff does a traditional install but just hides it behind the package manager

so that's why a month old win install runs faster than a fresh one ;^)

Have you considered not installed random useless shit? My Windows 7 install from 2013 runs like it did on day one.

sure, bro.
My mixer prints my faxes too.

They will implement something worse if they try to replace it.

This. I'm using the same install since 2014 and it's fast as ever, it even boots in 24 seconds on a fucking HDD. "Windows rot" is just retards installing shit that spawn services and tries to run on boot, if you only install decent software you'll have fresh install speeds for ever.

I avoid installing software to the point it's borderline autism, but only because I know it's what slows down a computer over time. I even extract files from installers in an attempt to make "portable" installations.

They literally do since you would have prefetch files and superfetch would have ended it's job.

Yeah, that's autism. Just get chocolatey if you are so worried about that.

>not using a ssd

ah, that's why it's often suggested to disable them for SSDs.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, boyee.

Not to mention that you would have a complete Windows Search index, meaning that start menu and folder searches will be basically instantly.

That's part of a different service. Superfetch and prefetch just store commonly used programs in otherwise unused RAM to mitigate the slowness experienced on spinning rust.

I'm complementing his post and saying that you would have a faster system due having a complete search index.

>allowed third party programs
This so much. Should've NEVER made it so non-microsoft shit could use it. Even if you uninstall a program, it could have settings buried somewhere in the registry if the uninstaller wasn't programmed to remove it.

All 3rd party settings should be stored in Local/Roaming folders of User App data. There is no reason for it to be in the registry aside from poor programming.