Thoughts on Elementary?

Thoughts on Elementary?

Attached: ELE.jpg (251x201, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2018/07/30/ubuntu-linux-lubuntu-old-lxqt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've installed it once in a while since Luna and it seems like they haven't updated it in a fucklong time. Don't get me wrong, it's a good distro.

IDK gimme good reason to use it.

is it made only for ants?

Attached: Elementary.jpg (300x168, 8K)

Elementary is what's needed to bring normals flocking to Linux.

>Clean and modern MacOS inspired desktop that feels familiar
>Plenty of software available via the store, which is updated fairly regularly
>No reliance on terminal usage so you don't even have to learn anything, but can still be used if necessary

Basically it just works for new users as well as experienced ones and normies would love it

Attached: louis2.jpg (1271x760, 70K)

good for normie stuff, and it's still linux so you can mold it into what you want if you expend the effort.

it's mostly aimed at normie office / facebook shit though

i'm not ant.

Attached: 4k.png (3840x2160, 1.7M)

>Latest release 0.4.1 "Loki" / 17 May 2017; 14 months ago

Legacy software

It's a decent show.

Great OS for grandparents/parents who only use a computer for web and email.

what de and theme

>wtf it looks nice so it must be shit
Not everything has to be black and ascii for it to be heavy duty ready

???
I am being serious. I installed it on my grandmother's pc because windows 10 was giving her grief.

greedy attempt at a gnome based ubuntu

It has no interactive/usable desktop, it's a shit distro.

they quite literally just changed some fonts and some colors and mashed gnome and xfce together into some failed abortion of a distro

i like the look of it, but i remember there were things missing in the settings that should be there

wtf are you talking about?

First Distro I don't want to throw of my laptop. I'm still figuring it out but I like it.

That resolution is awful.

was my second distro. using gentoo and never looking back

Used it for 6 months, mail was buggy as shit back then and not having minimize button drove me away from it. Really liked their plank and workspaces tho

Why?

gentoo is the best

I do not use it myself but it does have a place.
I installed elementary on a Macbook 2010 that fell out of the supported hardware.
I showed it to one of the more tech savvy people at the company and he just asked where i found this theme for MacOS.
and it feels really stable.

I've been using it as my daily driver for about a year, I really like the design and attention to detail.

This and Solus are the most innovative distros to come out in a long time

>distro based on a distro based on a distro
>half assed gnome fork for mac fags
>innovative
you can not be serious user

It would work better if their put their efforts solely in making Pantheon (DE) instead of making a GNU/Linux distro.

I don't like their instances on free software (they always use the term "open-source", called people getting their distro "cheaters" because they didn't donate) nor in privacy (run Google Analytics on their website).

Attached: Blue on beach.png (860x1550, 643K)

>mashed gnome and xfce together
>half assed gnome fork for mac fags
Idk what you two guys smoked but Pantheon was written from scratch. It isn't a fork of GNOME nor XFCE.

Attached: ninamon.png (64x68, 1K)

Yeah, even the mail client is custom made

>Elementary is what's needed to bring normals flocking to Linux.

what is xubuntu / kubuntu / ubuntu mate...?
sorry for your mental health problems user

> what is xubuntu / kubuntu / ubuntu mate...?
Ugly and autistic ootb. Great for us but not for normalfags.

It's a good distro if you like to put dicks in your anus.

Attached: u7T9B8ew_400x400.jpg (400x400, 20K)

It is a buggy, shitty fagOS rip off. Deepin, Cinnamon, KDE or Budgie are all more stable, less gay and provide a superior user experience.

as i said earlier, sorry for that thing you've got going, git gud

Was fun to mess around with a few years ago and pretend my shit chink lenovo was a macbook after some theme/icon modding. Now I just use xubuntu cause it just works. Dont know why Jow Forums has hateboners for xubuntu so much.

Attached: tuxedo pepe.png (1000x1000, 120K)

Why does this distro even exist? It looks like it's just gnome with a dock. Does it have a good package manager or what

what is the best 'buntu for a tech-illiterate former mac user to use?

Based and redpilled!

>why Jow Forums has hateboners for xubuntu
It's heavily polarized from what I've seen - strong opinions for and against.
TBF though the only argument I've seen against it is screen tearing, which has never been an issue on any of my machines.

I'm currently running galliumos (xubuntu plus chromebook patches), but am going to switch to regular xubuntu plus the gallium kernel instead.

>Does it have a good package manager or what
I'm pretty sure it's just dpkg.
But I think it's cool that they really make an effort to make the software have a consistent ui, which is pretty damn rare nowadays.

Poorman macOS.

I though it was well know about the hierarchy of buntus:
>Ubuntu
Closest thing to a normie version of linux of all the buntus, but still retains its ability to be complex for that aspie crowd.
>xubuntu
The best version of the buntus, keeps a fine balance of simplicity and complexity. Great for power users. Light enough for 99% of all modern machines. Comes with things you might want to fix out of the box. You can mimic both OSX or Windows, or just customize it to your liking.
>Kubuntu
The one that tries the hardest, but still fails because KDE is pretty much QTOS. Makes a great alternative to the Windows environment. Powerful, like ubuntu, but is an acquired taste of environment.
>Ubuntu Mate: once inspired to be the return of the golden era, gnome2, just to become a bad version of xfce. At least its lighter, but on a modern machine, it doesn't matter. Mate is great for low-end hard ware but Lubuntu does it better.
>Lubuntu:
Running a pc from 1999/200? this will have your back. It gives you the support of a modern ubuntu system, but lighter.

Everyone has a different opinion on this. And most people have shit opinions, like the ones you quoted. I'd say Elementary is perfect for a new user. But if you want more up-to-date packages, just use ubuntu. The addition of 'snaps' makes it easy to install a lot of software. Its software store has "muh freedoms" software and proprietary software. It has the best support and community incase you're in need of help. Its the best middle ground between open source and non open source software, you can't really use with it.

An unpopular opinion is that ubuntu is the only linux version most people need, but most will disagree. Its meant for just doing work without too much hassle.

>can't install tor without obscure guides from years ago

Into the trash it goes

Why don't they put this slogan on the frontpage of their website?

It's been a while since I used tor, but can't you just download a tar, extract it, and execute tor?

My gf was new at her job and they told her if she passed the 3 month test period they'd give her a macbook, so I told her she should work with eOS in the meantime to "get used" to the macOS GUI.

That was 5 months ago. They gave her the mac, she hated it and continued to work with her original laptop running eOS. It's a memepad x201 btw.

Her impressions are that unlike most linux distros, this one "doesn't break". No matter what. Also that it's pretty.

I know they accomplish the stability by removing most customization outta GNOME3 but who cares, it just werks, it accomplished what Mint was supposed to: Linux for normalfags.

Personally tho, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

How do you get used to no files on the desktop/single click open/no minimize button? These were the reasons why uninstalled it.

DE I think is Budgie and the theme I believe is Arc.

Are you the same nigger who said that KDE is gay and for gays?

> no files on the desktop
Personally I preferred it that way.
> single click open
IIRC you can enable double click.
> no minimize button?
Click the icon on plank to minimize.
eOS was my first distro back when Luna was just released and I never felt it was lacking much of anything. Honestly I'd recommend it to anybody new to GNU/Linux.

literally just a gnome theme
nothing to see here

You forget there's more.

nothing more
looks and behaves like gnome
same unusable piece of shit

ITT: neckbeards on autism rage because Pantheon is not a tiling window manager

>nothing more
Looks better and sleek
Different work flow than GNOME
Better than GNOME because it doesn't constantly make the UI and settings simpler to "help" the user.

where is the taskbar?
where are the desktop icons?
why is the clock in the middle of the screen?
why is there even a top panel?
unusable in any productive environment

>where is the taskbar?
Don't need one. Use the dock.

>where are the desktop icons
Use the file manager

>why is the clock in the middle of the screen
UI design

>why is there even a top panel
UI design

>unusable in any productive environment
This is mainly a "home" OS not a work station like Fedora.

And why would be unusable? I just see a different workflow, its not like your machine would be unresponsive with eOS

I used it for a while. I liked the interface but I found it to be like Ubuntu but even LESS flexible.

Decided to ditch it and go with fedora+Xfce, which takes a while to make look almost as nice, but gives you a lot more customizability and usability

If they put as much effort into making it work like OSX/MacOS as they did making it look like OSX/MacOS they'd be on to something.

Looks nice and pretty functional if you put a bit of effort into unlocking all the shit the devs lock down because
>why change our PERFECT OS

It was me who said that

Did KDE use some political shit in their social media?

except that it looks like trash and it's buggy as fuck with packages sourced from a million different repos.
You can install debian by literally just mashing next and choosing a password.

>Running a pc from 1999/200? this will have your back
betanews.com/2018/07/30/ubuntu-linux-lubuntu-old-lxqt/
>Ubuntu Linux-based Lubuntu no longer focusing on old hardware after move to LXQt

>making it work like OSX/MacOS
let me know when you can write automator services that populate a context menu based on file type without learning perl, python or bash

Fucking docks.

Being an alternative to the KDE clusterfuck is still a good reason to exist, it's not like you can't do minimal install + lxde if you really want to. That said, still kinda sucks, but I guess the 10-year old line is a hard cut when it comes to computer equipment.