NTSC vs PAL

Pick a side

Attached: ntsc-pal-table.png (350x81, 14K)

PAL is my pal.

PAL

PAL was a better format, but given that nearly all content was NTSC and so PAL ended up with usually lower quality transfers in non-native frame rates, the NTSC was superior in 99% of cases.

>NTSC guy with sword
>PAL guy with sword
>*stab sound*
>60FPS 1080p pierces both

Britfag here, I always played my gamecube games in NTSC solely for FPS.

>write a long reply
>struggling to upload because Jow Forums
>switch to another tab
>go to hit F5
>Jow Forums throws an error, switching the tab back to this thread right as i hit F5
>lose post text
thanks Jow Forums

well that took a while, even if i had the text there's probably nobody left to read it

>50hz
Pal was always shit

PAL of course

NTSC for framerates you stupid niggers

>~59.94005994005994005994Hz
ntsc was always shit

NTSC won that fight decades ago, retard.

PAL-M

NTSC because 50Hz looks like shit.

PAL60 > NTSC-J > NTSC >>>>>>>> PAL (regular)

PAL-M
29.67 fps, Automatic color correction.

Attached: autohue.jpg (640x480, 61K)

for games, sure, but not for 24Hz film transfers
PAL movies were simply 24Hz sped up to 25Hz. no added motion judder, with a barely-if-at-all noticable speedup. i live in a PAL country, and i never knew this was happening until i got into DVD ripping
NTSC movies on the other hand, do a 2>3 pullup technique which introduces blurriness and motion judder, making them painful to watch by comparison

PAL is closer to 24fps which is better for movies.

NTSC is good for console gaming

25yo boomer here. PAL is like staring into a strobe light while NTSC is slightly better. I'd take the reduced resolution over that eyecancer any day.

>29.67
>Manual
PAL.
Most stuff is 25fps anyway.

>he doesn't write his posts on office before posting them
Now you know why you don't do this. Let it be a lesson.

Attached: 1466987126308.jpg (1023x778, 207K)

PAL is newer

PAL60

Ntsc consoles ran faster

Pal had much nicer colors, but the flicker was terrible.
I'd go with NTSC.

People shit on phoneposters but you see we don't have that problem

NTSC for muh vidya
PAL for everything else.

>flicker

Is that an American problem?

gen6 consoles supports pal60

Attached: snapshot_21.40.917.png (1920x1080, 3.03M)

God, here in Brazil we used PAL-M. When playing games that were NTSC on PSX I got gray scale image or it was always spining vertically. Using the VHS bypass helped sometimes but had to get a tv that had color mode switch so I could play games properly. N64 also had that problem when using AV cable. Thank god this shit is over.

HDMI > *

NTSC has disgusting thicc scan lines and shit colours

I can live with a small drop in frame rate

As a yuropean, NTSC. I can stand a smaller resolution. I can't stand 50hz anymore. Not anymore.

>brazil
>expecting anything to work correctly

You could always tell some solder guy to just transcode the console.
And the brazilian dreamcast had a BEAUTIFUL picture, almost fucking VGA.
The combination of the sega's "we don't want another sega genesis blurry fiasco" DAC and the superior PAL-M system was just perfect.

Movies are traditionally 24 FPS, excepting direct to TV. NTSC plays 24 FPS movies .08% slower than the theater, where PAL plays them 4% faster.

>NTSC plays 24 FPS movies .08% slower than the theater
yes, but with added blur (from intermittent blended frames) and motion judder (from inconsistent frame timing)
>where PAL plays them 4% faster.
... and nothing else, the frames are otherwise as-is

SECAM

PAL was a better format, but nowadays neither matters because people aren't watching a lot of TV and modern monitors can handle at least 1080p @ 60Hz

SOPA

As a citizen of brazil, it is my duty to affirm to you that no such barbaric acts do take place often.
But i do live in a city that used to have monkeys.
Used to.

>NTSC plays 24 FPS movies .08% slower than the theater, where PAL plays them 4% faster.

Wrong. NTSC countries use 2:3 pulldown, PAL is the only region to artificially change playback speed.

ntsc plays 24fps film at effectively 24/1.001fps (~23.976fps), or 0.1% slower

>Never Twice the Same Color

Is that even a thing still?.. In 2018?

G r a d i e n t e

It was a quite interesting 80's brazilian eletronics brand.
The NES clone on pic related was supposed to be an atari 7800, but as the 7800 sucked, Gradiente just fucking reverse engineered the NES chips and did their own thing still using the 7800 case tooling and adding some sega genesis-like controllers for a good measure.

Attached: phantom system.jpg (1024x651, 85K)

To the masses? No.
But there are people clinging to their devices from the 80s, and the retro folks.

If I had to pick, I'd go for PAL. Mainly because of no 2:3 pulldown. But I don't have to, because both are outdated and have been garbage (because of interleaving) ever since we stopped using CRTs.

Your post gave me autism

Gradiente could be a huge eletronics company but they wanted just to sell licensed versions of other brands. When they lost Nintendo license they declined and today nobody gives a fuck.

>a NES clone with a 7800 case and MegaDrive controllers
what a time to be alive

Whichever is native to the content I'm engaged with.

>tfw slow mode pal mega man
>tfw fast mode ntsc turrican
>tfw demo glitches due to being optimized for pal/ntsc and your system doesn't match
>tfw pal to ntsc interlaced frames
>tfw ntsc to pal dropped frames jitter

>2:3 pulldown
Good God I'm so glad this shit is finally behind us.
It was 3:2 by the way.

Blu-rays can be telecined.

Yeah if they're mastered by an incompetent hack. Just like some 90% of NTSC DVDs were, with no proper pulldown flags for players that could handle progressive scan.

FPS was always more important to me. I'd rather have 320x240 60fps than 640x480 30fps. So NTSC.

Noob here, I read that speedrunners prefer ntsc, why is that? Can someone explain why ut makes you faster?

And master System pistol.

in order from best to worst;
>PAL speedup (24>25) with audio pitch correction
>PAL speedup (24>25) without audio pitch correction
>NTSC with fancy pulldown patterns (2:3:3:2...)
>NTSC with basic pulldown pattern (3:2)
>NTSC transfer transferred to PAL (i've seen this once, and it's as terrible as it sounds)

for games, sure
but for 24fps film, either way it's the same, so the PAL advantages of higher line count and better transfer method come with no cost

-- and more accurate colour, which also is more important for film than games

Correct ranking.

>NTSC transfer transferred to PAL (i've seen this once, and it's as terrible as it sounds)
>once
Mate half the PAL anime DVDs were abominations like that. I can't believe anyone actually bought that shit.

My wii output looks (even more) like shit when I put it in 60 Hz mode

just my personal experience, i mostly pirated my anime, and only got a handful of dvd's (i'm in a PAL region, so they were all PAL)
in saying that, i've only closely examined a couple of PAL anime dvd's, and the one i mentioned was indeed one of those anime dvd's
i was trying to restore it to 24fps, and just couldn't figure out what the fuck was wrong with it, then i downloaded the NTSC release and it become pretty clear the PAL dvd was sourced from that

because you're dropping from 576 lines of resolution to 480 lines

I was in the fansubbing scene back in mid to late 90s so I've seen some shit.

oh i bet you did

It did. Can't you read?

The term you're looking for is "apes," viralata.

60Hz > 50Hz

?

ntsc

that probably came off more sarcastic than intended
i just mean that i believe you did see some shit

Eurofag here, who is out of here can't say a shit

Had PAL PSOne, modded it to read NTSC games.

> NTSC was better.

Had PAL PS2, modded it to read NTSC

> NTSC was better
> it was better UNTIL FINALLY PAL GAMES HAD 60Hz OPTION AVAILABLE

Attached: ps2hazplentyofgamez.png (640x448, 68K)

enjoy your subpar image quality

>Graphicsfags

Pal generally is fucked up in several ways when talking about games.
Instead of delivering the extra lines, they normally just add black bars and get a weird scale rate.
All you get is better colors.

>grayscale image and vertical spinning is things working "correctly"
Never change, Brazil.

>NTSC for games
>PAL for regular dvds
>NTSC-J for anime dvds

PAL is based on NTSC and fixed the short comings with NTSC. Such as the change in hue that can happen between broadcaster and receiver. To fix this they used Phase Alternating Line, PAL. PAL also had the benifit of not having to be compatible with older B&W sets. Without NTSC there would be no PAL.

Attached: VElH488.jpg (800x800, 67K)

PAL. But I prefer RGB.

Attached: 0.png (500x500, 184K)

You retards forgot that GameCube could do PAL at 60Hz (PAL60). Benefits of PAL with the refresh rate of NTSC.

These, also muh SCART
PAL60 or RGB, specially on a Trinitron CRT

Attached: 1522977644246.png (500x708, 344K)

Yes, gamecube could.

It was exactly 60hz during the B&W NTSC, but they had to slow the video slightly when they added color so that the FM audio signal would not interfere with the chroma signal. It would have been better for NTSC just to be completely redone when they added color but people had spent $$$ on B&W TVs already so the FCC required backward compatibility. So we got 60000/1001 Hz.

Attached: IEFqO2t.jpg (504x452, 18K)

How about this.

>Benefits of PAL with the refresh rate of NTSC.
What PAL benefits? PAL60 has NTSC resolution.

Most higher end content shot in the US was done on FILM @24fps (many sitcoms and higher content), meaning it could easily be converted to PAL. NTSC video content at 60 fields per second is a different story.

The better pal colors mostly.

Worst case senario, you have to adjust the hue on the TV. Other than that there shouldn't be much more to PAL quality when it comes to colors. PAL actually does have a saturation problem that NTSC never had. Basically saturation levels can change between transmitting and receiving. Easy fix though.