>buys Head First Java to learn programming in Java
>enrolls in university CS
>finds out university teaches C++ and web development
>checks out job ads
>most of the ads are looking for web devs
>ad about java work pops up very rarely

wat do?
is java dying?

Attached: hide_the_pain.jpg (2500x1667, 264K)

Other urls found in this thread:

escoffier.me/vertx-hol/
oreilly.com/programming/free/building-reactive-microservices-in-java.csp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

learn more languages
no

learn java, c++ and JS, then you can do 90% of jobs
no

Attached: dont build your career on dpt aka cs undergrad general.jpg (1872x3650, 1.81M)

>his """""university""""" "teaches" specific languages and environments instead of theory
Find yourself a better uni, OP.

Yes, and rightfully so.

Attached: f2rjwzv2hoay.png (500x498, 129K)

it's not though

How is outofmemoryerror related to the level of abstraction?

I didn't make the meme mate, that's just the only picture I had that was related to java.

I know, just wondering.

This may be just me, but i rarely stumble upon java jobs.
It's mostly webdev or "we don't care what you use, you can learn what we use anyway" out there in my experience.
I do wish it would die out though, it's such an unelegant language and there are so many better alternatives out there.

Guess it depends on your area.
Here in Europe everything is either Java or C++ or Frontend Webshit

Java isn't unelegant if you write proper Java and use Streams, Lambdas, libraries like vavr and RxJava. It is still the best language for backend servers in terms of performance, maintainability and speed of development, so no there aren't better alternatives.

Amazon, Netflix, Alibaba and most banks are all extensively Java

Can someone please recommend a book about advanced JAVA programming?
I finished learning the basics and don't know how to advance now

>do job interview
>interviewer asks me why I have fortran in my bio
>tell him that I love that language because I grew up on old sci-fi movies and when I started getting into programming I always figured that those spaceships run on fortran, that's why I decided to learn it, add "what do you think they run on, java?"
>interviewer says "we'll call you"

they never did

Effective Java
Java Concurrency in Practice
escoffier.me/vertx-hol/
oreilly.com/programming/free/building-reactive-microservices-in-java.csp

Thanks man

Why would you bother to learn a language like java unless you need it for work?

Because you can build great things fast with it thanks to the Java ecosystem

absolutely based

Because Java actually isn't a bad language unless you're stuck in > Java 8 versions like most retarded people on this planet.

Sorry, I meant < .. I fucking hate my QWERTZ keyboard.

>is java dying?

I hope so

this

Here in Sweden it's c# or Java.

Here in Sweden, its either be a cuck or take big black immigrant cock in the ass.

The only problem is most places that use Java are also the kind of place that always use outdated shit any never upgrade to later versions. This isn't really unique to Java though. So many places like banks or hospitals will uses the most outdated version of something. This includes things like Java, Python, Node.js, etc... Thus, while newer versions of Java may well be nicer, you will wind up having to use shittier versions at many places that use Java.

Attached: 1509138041685.jpg (500x282, 39K)

Most companies use Java 8 now though and it won't matter if you work for a modern company with a microservice based architecture (which is also more and more prevalent, even in slow moving corps like IBM)

Realistically, the market is saturated. There are a lot of coders out there thanks to the media pushing it so much. You may go to schoold fore CS, but the job market is webdev, and most people are able to do that without ever attending a class.

In short, CS is a meme.

>It is still the best language for backend servers in terms of performance, maintainability and speed of development, so no there aren't better alternatives.
thanks, my streets needed a bit more shit in the today

>>ad about java work pops up very rarely
>wat do?
>is java dying?

no it aint

why would they pay java devs an average 20% more than a web dev all things being equal

just look around more

>"we don't care what you use, you can learn what we use anyway"
I wish I see this on job ads, most people won't even consider you if you don't know the development stack they're using.