/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone Guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread

Attached: 1a22eab40d1c69a3b0b193c1afd45409--summer-bikinis-anime-art.jpg (500x667, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/itihnc.mkv
aliexpress.com/item/OOTDTY-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushions-For-KOSS-Porta-Pro-PP-KSC35-KSC75-KSC55-Headphone/32843858922.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sorry if this isnt the right thread to ask, but i'm looking for a pair of headphones best suited for listening to shoegaze; large walls of sound consisting of distorted guitar noises and ethereal, clear vocals

WILLIAM THE SON OF SCHIIT SHILL HAS BEEN CURSED

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 352K)

Post this on SBAF you pussy, you won't.

I would but I bet these retards will blame Amir for it lol, and I don't want to damage his reputation somehow

Anyway I have something else on my to-do list, it will hurt his family much more

What’s the point of Zeos sound demos?

I want to bury my face inbetween her ass and fuse my nose to it and inhale the smell of her asshole for the rest of my life

Same

Attached: 1503472092334.jpg (424x403, 130K)

nnnggghhhh feet

In case you missed my reply from the end of the last thread:

They are supposed to give you an inkling on how the phones compare to each other through demos, but it’s a bad idea because
>the demos obviously can’t express things like soundstage, impact, speed and extension
>some of the demos sound really far off, for example LCD2C demo is nasal as shit and doesn’t resemble reality in any way
>while the demos are supposed to be only compared among each other as very rough approximations of coloring, retards think that they give you a close imagings of how those headphones really are and make hasteful and wrong judgements because of that

Basically, useless and misguiding like Zeos himself, that hacky, fat weeb trash.

Do not be a cuck, don't buy dedicated amp and dac, it's not worth it...

this

Don't forget, the demos are binaural-ish, so they sound different regardless of what headphones he uses

the absolute state of you

stax

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1509778564697.png (1280x720, 951K)

where can i get a about 50 dollar headphones?
I saw the sennheiser hd 579 which seemed kinda cool
but it has no mic
where i can get a decent enough headphone 50-100 euros with a mic?

sorry for replying to myself and bumping
but the Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X seemed kinda cool aswell, or is it a meme?

Currently, as I'm away from home, I plug in my Takstar Pro 82 into my Thinkpad and it just works.

Attached: 6DCECD0F092B4CF5A79F7CFC282BB1D6.png (565x541, 157K)

Clever, cost efficient setup.
Probably good enough to enjoy gokudolls with.
HD600 is suggested as an upgrade to accommodate Love Live idols.

Attached: 1526878131971.png (1280x720, 1.38M)

guis
HyperX Cloud Revolver S or Logitech G Pro Gaming Headset?

How do you like the Takstar pro 82? I'm considering a pair myself

>shitty retarded gaming headset
Neither.

alright
especially considering comfortability
which should i pick
HyperX Cloud Revolver S
Logitech G Pro Gaming Headset
Corsair HS50
any help?

i use ps4 gold headset for everything.

okay great
but i want headphones with a mic and you tend to end up with 'gaming headsets'
what should i look for then? do you have some recommendations?
I just want comfortable headphones with a mic not too expensive (like 50-150 dollars)

I am currently listening to vocal trance hits by armada music on my hd660s, just took off my he500.
Using a schiit stack and am looking forward to replacing it with a topping dac and a thx aaa desktop amp in the fall. They seem to have pretty good resale value so I shouldn't loose out too much.
Anyone else interested in the thx stuff?

Attached: desktop.jpg (1636x1225, 1.67M)

See OP's links for modmic solution. If you're not a cheapass, look at neppit /letsplay/ for a decent mic guide. Do not spend less than ~$50 and you'll get an awesome mic where you'll sound real good.
>topping
I can understand, good measurements, not worrying about dac transparency.
>thx
wtf

Their new amp looks sick, I've been looking forward to it for a while now. As far as I know a couple of companies are using the mobile version to make like iphone cases and usb stick stuff and monoprice and massdrop are both making a desktop amp with the desktop chip. They're supposed to be really good.

But your magni is already overpowered and transparent.

I've bought dumber things. The magni is alright I guess but I want the thx.

>under $200
>large, comfy over-ear cups
>open or semi-open
>sound industrial design, durable, no shitty plastic joints
>"neutral" sound good for a diverse set of music genres, as well as voice chat and gaming
Which headphones am I describing?

>mfw the dog ate my Shure SE535

Attached: why.jpg (412x351, 20K)

Follow-up: based on my own reading, including OP links, it seems like the best bet might be something in the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 family. Thoughts?

Look into HD600.
You might enjoy this sample vid for testing your headphones: my.mixtape.moe/itihnc.mkv

I really like it, with the primary reason being comfort. My main headphones used to be the Status Audio CB-1, but those pads were ridiculously huge and seemed a bit more firm than soft and it got a little sore after wearing them for an extended period of time. I also tried some Sennheiser HD headphones, but those were pretty heavy and clamped relatively hard. The pads were really nice, but as a whole I found the headphones uncomfortable actually.

I think the Takstar Pro 82 is the most comfortable headphone I've used, especially since it's so light with really soft padding. Of course the sound won't be as good as high end headphones, but it's still quite good and better than the CB-1 in my opinion. At the very least, it's definitely worth the price tag.

lads
are some headphones too big or bulky to wear lying down or should i be good with whatever

I don't use headphones like that but I imagine anything over ear will be uncomfortable to lie against, or a the very least awkward.

If you're looking to do anything like that you should probably wear IEMs.

Attached: 07233B0E-2472-4D9F-803D-991357599EF3.jpg (2545x3880, 2.27M)

Tube amps or whatever those kind of things are called still look like some shit I'd see in some horror and science fiction movies.

that's because only retards buy them

I see. I currently have a pair of earbuds with an impressive sound quality, but I'll look into IEMs as well now.
Thanks a lot for your insights, user

Don't be silly and buy studio monitors now, just buy some decent in ears.

Unless you perform on stage or work in a studio of course.

How come that /hpg/ doesn’t like based Grados? They may not be the most technically impressive headphones, but you gotta love that hand-crafted, ear-tuned traditional sound signature like no other.

Attached: F37097CE-783F-4E8C-9376-F820EF2B3150.jpg (2272x1704, 1.48M)

What are they actually good for?

>uncomfortable on ears
>attrocious measurements
>aggressively bright sound signature that is NOT neutral and is highly exposing to bad sources
>unresolving and slow
>flagship models aren't much better than their budget models

I'm speaking in general about Grados ofcourse but this does apply to the majority of their headphones. They just seem to contradict themselves, I've tried a few of them and honestly I can't name many headphones that I hated more.

Attached: 1512527077279.jpg (467x639, 63K)

im a neet and lie on the ground a lot desu

>muh Brooklynese wood

I see. Well if you lie exclusively on your back or stomach you can get away with more on your ears I suppose.

I suppose so as well. I think the thing to look for are headphones marketed as being light weight while not compromising on sound quality or well general quality

Attached: DDD3BF1D-664B-47F0-811E-D4B31D1EBA95.jpg (4032x3024, 2.87M)

Akg k 240 or ath m40x?

I had a akg k92 for a year when one side stopped working, opened it and did some sloppy soldering and it worked. 4 months later and it stoped working again, this time I fucked the soldering real bad(shit iron).

Since I had to replace the pads anyway, I decided its time for a upgrade.

That beign said, are all akg bound to fail in 15months like my k92 or did I just get unlucky?

Attached: IMG_5027.jpg (3264x2448, 717K)

Budget
Around £100-150
>Location
England
>Source
Android Phone (OP3T) & iPod Touch 3rd gen
>Type of headphone
Bluetooth IEMs
>Open or closed
N/A
>Comfort level
Reasonably
>Sound signature
Neutral if possible
>Past headphones
KZ ZS6, IE80s, K7XX, HD6XX

I want some new wireless Bluetooth headphones to replace my KZ6s as they are dropping out every 5mins or so and the battery life isn't great at around 2-4hrs. I was looking at Jaybirds that many people have given decent reviews but most of them are from people that say the sound "great" and mostly talk about the battery life or comfort.

Grado SR60

kys

SR60 owns everything at that price range

Attached: lol.jpg (517x536, 102K)

Attached: A77E0DA3-3A4D-44FF-9644-ABCD6713BDB4.jpg (2924x3850, 2.1M)

>Budget
~100 euro
>Source
laptop/phone
>Type of headphone
over ear+Bluetooth
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
high
>Sound signature
flat(maybe a bit more on the lows)
>Past headphones
Steelseries Siberia 200, sennheiser hd 429, marshall major 2

-I am looking for Bluetooth headphones for office work and day to day music listening, so the comfort should be quite high.
My head is also pretty big ,and that is why i am moving on from the marshall major2 as they are killing me.

binning the schiit gear will be the best choice you'll make

Is this video what really talking to a girl feels like
It's nice

Best with HD600.
If you liked, try Love Live.

Are there any headphones with the drivers positioned behind the ear at the base instead of over the ears? They would be for driving with sleeping passengers, since I still need to hear my surroundings.

Try open headphones.

Attached: 1C1DDFE5-9E67-4941-AA48-5DC0B9D81BE9.jpg (3024x2324, 1.74M)

the 880 isn't that neutral. its a slight v shaped sound thats soft and somewhat muffled. the hd 600 is much better

Sennheiser GSP 300 or Game One if you want to spend a little more but get far better sound.

I have an open pair that I use at my computer, it always sounds weak while letting everything else around me through.
I guess those would work, but they're huge.

What's a good quality sounding headphone that's really comfortable for a big head?

Returned:
>Beyerdynamic DT 770
>Logitechs Artemis G933
because head started hurting after 15-20 mins.

I've got a big head too, DT 770s are the comfiest I've tried so far. Then again, I got used to much harder clamp first, so perhaps that's why these feel so nice to me.

>first summer with these headphones
>cant hear shit with the fan on
>room gets hot as hell with fan off

FUCK

Attached: massdrop-sennheiser-hd-6xx-hdphns-openbacksf-1500x1000.jpg?ver=1.jpg (1500x1000, 245K)

its illegal to wear headphones while driving in most places

Advanced alpha arrived today
still on the way are STAX, hd58x, project polaris, dynalo amp and some other garbage i can't remember

Attached: mine.png (4000x1500, 3.31M)

Attached: 14B5918D-3B5E-48BB-895E-9D773B23EB85.jpg (3024x2479, 1.24M)

I really liked those 770's, initially they are comfortable but after a while, for me, it feels like head blood flow slows. I think if they'd be lighter and clamped less they'd be good for me.
Glad they're a good fit for you.

If you like the Advanced Alpha, have you considered backing their current Indiegogo campaign for the GT-R planar? It seems like everyone who's had the chance to try it like it, some even moreso than the Alpha (despite it being a cheaper option). Unfortunately, unless they manage a marketing miracle it's probably not gonna make its goal in the next month ;_;

Attached: Advanced GT-R.png (695x1187, 415K)

i liked them a lot actually, but i'm still waiting for the mobius to ship and notJDS Labs will soon launch the indiegogo for their headset whcih i plan to fund so i don't really feel like crowdfunding anything else for now
maybe next time

Why don't they ever label the graphs? How are we supposed to know what's under test? Could be anything.

Attached: Huh14.jpg (389x520, 30K)

Sadly, if it doesn't get funded (this is the 3rd attempt), there probably won't be a next time. The good news is that the Alpha still exists and is available, so it's not a total wash if it doesn't happen.

the koss porta pros are really uncomfortable. any tips?

i keep setting it to the 'light' setting but it keeps switching back to firm. it gets stuck in my hair. etc.

anyone have experience with replacing the cushions with something like this: aliexpress.com/item/OOTDTY-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushions-For-KOSS-Porta-Pro-PP-KSC35-KSC75-KSC55-Headphone/32843858922.html

Impressive! Wait till you try Balanced - instant 3dB gain in resolution. Doesn't sound like much, but that's DOUBLE the resolution!

>this is the 3rd attempt
i thought it was the 2nd, anyways, the GT-R are mostly a finished product already so it's not really crowdfunding as much as it is marketing (like the mobius was), even if it fails they'll probably still release it and a few months later try to put it on massdrop or something like that

Maybe. There's only a total of 3 prototypes in the wild (according to Advanced themselves), and they've said that if the crowdfunding doesn't go through then they literally can't afford to do the manufacture order (which is why the 3rd attempt almost didn't even happen), but they may just move on to pre-orders or something if that happens. It'd be a shame to just see it dissipate after all their effort and the positive (if limited) reception that they've had so far.

i did get on the THX amp drop so i'll have a balanced amp before the year ends, i was going to ask he guy at periapt cables to make me a cable for the advanced alpha, so i might just ask him to make it balanced as well

I'm Jealous - I just recently heard about AAA headphone amps and signed up on massdrop - but I'm 1655 in line for 460 amps! Hopefully people forget about it. But that doesn't matter - Benchmark is already shiping an AAA amp - w/-138dB S/N!!! Ok, Shithead user is going to start being mean about "muh can't even hear that!" I work on networks. They are a chain. A chain has a weakest link that brings ALL THE OTHER CHAINS DOWN TO IT'S LEVEL. Don't be the weakest link.

Attached: Watchman.jpg (525x535, 227K)

Impressive collection!
Questions: which one is your favorite? How do you like the HD6XX? How do you like the Custom Pro?

Attached: Setup (second version).png (1617x723, 1.74M)

What are the chances of Massdrop having the Grace Sdac on sale ever again now that they're going crazy with DAC/AMP combos?

just got my amp today, plugged it in and it sounds virtually the same. what the fuck? did i get memed?

Attached: 1511570952045.jpg (259x259, 31K)

>did I get memes?
No, but I think I'm getting memed.

massdrop doesn't work like that, you're the 1655th person to ask for the amp to drop again, considering past history when the first units ship in october they'll drop it again, you just need to make sure to be ready to order as soon as the drop opens back again

open back i like the DT1990 the most
closed back the E-mu teak
the HD6xx are great to sit back and relax, voices sound amazing on them but i think that overall the dt1990 and the alphas are more engaging but for $200 though i don't think you can do better (maybe i'll reconsider after the HD58x arrive)
the custom pro are good for the price, built like tanks and the bass port makes them very versatile but i think the ws1100is are better unless you like a lot of bass and you don't mind it being a bit muddy

Attached: 1E918155-6526-4FA7-A142-DDE52CF89AB4.jpg (3024x3730, 2.12M)

Get a fucking trip already so you can be filtered.

Did you have headphones that needed the extra juice? Did your source lack the ability to properly drive your headphones? If you answered yes to either question, then you didn't get memed. If you answered no to both, then congratulations, you memed yourself and should have done more research before throwing money at things.

im being serious, is there some secret setting i have to change on my computer for the high quality to kick in or what? am i just deaf?

I answered no to both questions. However, i have a pair of 650s coming which will change those no's to yes's, so I'm probably not completely memed. However again, I did still expect to at least notice a more than negligible difference with my current headphones which I do not.

Well, let's start with: what are You working with? Playstation or Krell?

just my desktop with a normal soundcard, realtek or something. windows 10

Yeah, HD650 will have a difference, although if you only ever use the amp from the start, you'll never notice (and probably for the better). The good news is that a proper amp never really hurts anything, so it's not like you did anything wrong either way.

Nice Summary, user! I think U got Good Ears.

Gotta point out - DT1990s are actually closed backs, if that matters.

Attached: 20180616_141406.jpg (4032x3024, 561K)

You don't mean i won't notice a difference when I switch to the 650s do you? Because I would hope I will.

How long are you going to spend in mid fi hell? Sell some of that and get some good shit instead. L700, 800S, ZMF or whatever dude.