/spg/ - Smartphone General

Mi 8 Explorer Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: DSC_10402.jpg (1280x851, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/android-oreo-fastest-manufacturers-update-874788/
gadgets.ndtv.com/sony-xperia-xa1-plus-4370-vs-sony-xperia-xa1-4036
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Post a mini-review of your phone
Bought a mi mix 2s. The camera is dope, MIUI is legit, wireless charging is convenient, the design is great. Would recc/10

lost my phone and need a new one. no real budget but i dont need anything expensive. i use to watch youtube, some simple apps and listen to music. preferably has a microsd slot

what happened to the fagget OP recommended list?

I want a chinkshit phone like mi mix 2s but my carrier is Verizon. Am I just out of luck?

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: White-Google-Pixel-3-XL-Picture-2.jpg (900x1200, 178K)

JUST LOOK AT THIS DUDE AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: White-Google-Pixel-3-XL-Picture-1.jpg (900x1200, 170K)

>Mi 8 Explorer Edition
Definitely a neat idea but I heard it's just a sticker. It's probably true since there would normally be some shielding over those components, and that doesn't look anything like any real Qualcom SoC package I've seen before.

Bought a moto z for 300$ last year and got the turbo power pack recently it's one of the most comfy setup I've used in years I do miss the headphone jack but that gave me an opportunity to shift to a pmp

for me its the s9

Attached: 1531417900827.jpg (1000x1000, 1.35M)

Googled upped their game, now the smartphone looks as autistic as the customer...

Attached: chrome_2018-07-30_22-27-11.png (200x128, 30K)

How's Sony's update policy?

Might actually pull the trigger on the XZ2 Compact as it seems to fit all my needs (except headphone jack, but I guess I can do without)

Also fuck all those big phones with glass backs. How is anyone supposed to hold those without constant fear of dropping them?

Attached: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ficdn6.digitaltrends.com%2Fimage%2Fxperia_xz2_compact_1-1500x1000.jpg&f=1.jpg (1500x1000, 96K)

Are headphone jacks just no longer a thing?

It's printed on a pressed emi shield.

From the last thread:

>Same size as the Nokia 7+
I think the 7+ is too big too.

>Pretty sure Moto X4 has a hybrid slot too.
Shit, you're right. Maybe if I buy the 64GB version I won't need a card.

>If you want dual SIM and a dedicated MicroSD slot there's Mi A2 Lite, Galaxy A6+ Duos and A8 Duos, Moto G6 and G6 Plus.
I'll think about the G6 Plus. Samsung is out because of Knox, which is too bad because I like Samsungs a lot.

>Pretty much what you are looking for isn't an option.
That's a real shame. The S4 covers all points except storage and fingerprint sensor.

Does anyone else have a sugestion?

Not with the top tier devices. Midrange still offers plenty of phones with headphone jacks, but most of them are 2big4me

I'd buy the Nokia 7 plus or Oneplus 5t/6 in a heartbeat if they weren't fuckhuge

>find phone
>good price
>great reviews
>stuff I want
>Verizon only supports it on one band for 4g
Fug :DDD

Mi Mix 2 and 2S work on Verizon, actually.

They do? Thank you.

Is the Pixel 2 XL peak Google?

About LG level, behind Samsung and OnePlus.

I'm going to buy a Samsung Galaxy S7, put it in a heavy duty case and hope it lasts for 5 years. I'll install a custom ROM once the warranty expires. Any flaws on this plan?

Any instance where Honor phones are better than Xiaomi?

Attached: 015.jpg (1414x2000, 955K)

Sony is pretty good with updates, it'll get two version updates (Android O -> P -> Q). Security updates come monthly.

>About LG level, behind Samsung

jesus,
so basically absolute fucking shit?

Attached: 1296160578918.jpg (400x421, 59K)

He's talking shit
androidauthority.com/android-oreo-fastest-manufacturers-update-874788/

So I don't know a thing about cell phones. I'm looking at the Xperia XA1 Plus as a cheap alternative. How do I make sense of pic related? I'm hoping to use this phone here in Canada as well as having it be functional in Europe (Germany, Poland, Czech, Hungary etc.). What would no 3g and 4g mean?

Link to comparison: gadgets.ndtv.com/sony-xperia-xa1-plus-4370-vs-sony-xperia-xa1-4036

Attached: sdsdsdsdsd.png (704x771, 44K)

What's currently the best way to get a custom rom on your phone? I got a samsung galaxy a5 2017 and want to install LineageOS.

The lineage wiki has instructions to use "Heimdall", but I've got an error trying that, and I've been unsuccessful resolving it. While I searched for a solution, some people mentioned to use Odin to get root. Most of the posts I've found are a few years old, so I figured I'd ask here.

>XA1 Plus
Too old, not worth it. What country you buying the phone in, Canada? What's your carrier? Budget?

That phone is dual SIM, usually the SIM in slot 1 will receive 2g/3g/4g whereas the SIM in receives only 2g, but some phones have receive 4g in both slots.

Google Chainfire / Odin.

Is Samsung ending the Note phone? No more after 9?
Why the fuck are they doing that?

Honor 10 4gb/128gb is unparalleled at it's price bracket

I brought my Moto e5 plus yesterday and for a less than 200 dollars phone is great except the maximum resolution on YT is 720p 60fps

>Too old, not worth it.
To be honest I just want it to operate without lagging. With my current phone (Huawei Y635) it's unbearable. I don't need the phone for much really. Just phone calls, casual internet browsing and google maps. Would it make much of a difference?
>What country you buying the phone in, Canada? What's your carrier? Budget?
Canada. I don't have a carrier yet, just going to go with what's cheapest in my area, again I don't need anything fancy. Budget.. not exceeding $350. I've warmed up to the Xperia.

But it's not even out yet.

Read as "Honor Note 10". Either way, it lacks a micro SD card slot, the bootloader is still locked and as expected - battery life is exceptionally subpar.

No, they're not ending the Note phone. There has been rumours they might merge the S-series and Note-series, because they're becoming increasingly similar in specs with the S8+/S9+ being nearly the size as the Note 8. They're not going to get rid of the stylus, Note 10 would just become S10 Plus.

give me swift installer for free.

I need the TA-1050 Nokia 6 EU specifically because it seems to have the most compatibility with Verizon. I'm assuming the EU designates it as a European model, do I have to somehow shop around on Euro sites to get this model?

Attached: poo.jpg (601x508, 28K)

Forget it, won't work with Verizon.

Oh, I guess that makes sense.
I can't live without the s-pen and I need the large screen.

wtf do you even use the s pen for?

I guess kimovil is inaccurate then. Any other suggestions for mid-range Verizon phones? Not asking you to research for me but just if you know any off the top of your head.

not him but why in the fuck would anyone need more than 128GB in a cellphone, and at fuck snail speeds at that (SD vs UFS-2.1) ?

Besides the Xiaomi A2, any other Xiaomi phones that work on AT&T?

Everything my finger would do.
The features to pin a marked selection on the screen is really useful.
I also draw.

Moto phones are pretty much the only decent option in the budget and mid-range that are fully compatible with Verizon. Look at Moto G5 Plus, G5S Plus, G6, X4, Z Play and Z2 Play.

There's also Mi Mix 2 / 2S that are compatible if you want something more higher end but still reasonably cheap.

Most of the "Global version" Xiaomi phones with B4 LTE work, but it you want something that's fully compatible then Mi Mix 2 and 2S are your only option out of the Xiaomi phones, no other Xiaomi phone has band 17.

Thanks a ton.

I don't care very much as those ridiculous sacrifices are only made on "flagship" devices. Have you seen this thread by the way? There's a legitimate need for storage.

Damn, not even the Mi 8 has full coverage? That's pretty shitty, is the Mi Mix 3 likely to have all the bands? I'll probably wait for that.

Sorry, I actually forgot about the Mi8, which also has B17 and is fully compatible with AT&T. The website I checked was outdated and didn't list it. I'd expect the Mi Mix 3 to have all the important bands supported like the earlier models did.

Some people want to keep stuff like their music collection or films / TV series on their phones. It's not really something that requires fast speeds, and it's convenient because you can move the card from one device to another. Also if you shoot a lot of 1080p@60fps or 4K video 128gb storage will quickly get filled up.

country/carrier?

Hm, alright. I'll wait for the Mix 3 and see how that is.

Get a Redmi Note 5, it's 300 CAD off Amazon. Or you could get a Sony XA2 for 384 CAD.

>current year
>phone not encoding HEVC
da fuq

> Or you could get a Sony XA2 for 384 CAD.
Is it really worth dishing out the extra money if I'm only a casual user? I'm already thinking that the XA1 is slightly pricey for my liking. What advantage would I get with the XA2? I see it's got the extra features for the second SIM card.

Attached: 1360980189778.gif (320x240, 1.2M)

I unironically just got mine and am enjoying it.
Bought for 500 euros because of local big sale on a chain store. Got lucky to get one, I guess.

I'm coming from a Redmi Note 3 so it's a big update.
Is there anything that I should do to better my experience?

Well it's newer so it'll get keep getting updates for longer. And it has Snapdragon chipset instead of a Mediatek one in XA1 Plus, if you ever want to install custom ROMs the XA2 will be a better choice. It already has a official LineageOS build.

4K still takes a shit ton of space even if it's HEVC, especially if you're filming at 60fps. 10 minutes of 4K@60fps is already 4 gigs.

canada, tbaytel

I have a Nexus 7 2nd gen. How good is the Android tablet market right now, or am I better off just slapping Lineage 14.1 on it instead of getting Samshit?

It's been a great tablet but my touchscreen is starting to threaten going bad plus the overall age of the tablet being five years.

Mi Pad 4 is just came out and it's pretty decent. Anything more expensive and you're simply better off getting an iPad.

Anyone have the oneplus 6? Been thinking of getting one to replace my Nexus 5x.

Grab a Pixel. Don't fall for the meme.

i just dusted off my ancient Droid 4 and found out this shit actually has an official build of lineageos 14.1, but twrp doesn't exist on maserati and safestrap has issues. I don't care if I brick the device, how do I install this shit?

Get the XZ1 Compact. It's superior.

youtube vanced
adhell3
nova launcher
good lock one handed mode for gestures
make everything black
done

I'm rolling with meizu pro 6 plus now, and its seems just fine, sound is suprisingly impressive with decent phones. Other specs is cool too.

It's a great phone with great SoT.

Is there such a thing anymore as a smartphone with a physical keyboard? Is there one that's any good?

Attached: 1458779781202.jpg (853x480, 31K)

How are the Xiaomi A1 and Note Redmi phones? I've been wanting to ditch flagship phones like Samsung and I want to have medium price range phone (around 200 yuropoors) with atleast 64gb of storage and upgradeable with extra storage? I don't care about camera's or any other fancy new technology.

They're good. Get the Redmi Note 5.

Blackberry KeyOne and Key2. There was a successful crowdfunding campaign for a slide out qwerty keyboard MotoMod but it still hasn't reached mass production.

Blackberry Priv i suppose.

shit OS, shit updates

>There was a successful crowdfunding campaign for a slide out qwerty keyboard MotoMod but it still hasn't reached mass production.
I know, that's what I'm waiting for... I fell for the Moto Mod meme and have a few of them. They're kinda cool and I've been waiting for that Livermorium keyboard for a while now.

Attached: keyboard-moto-mod-hero.jpg (1200x800, 405K)

The Mi A series are Android One devices and both can be bootloader unlocked anyways

Coming from an S6 Edge, the OP6 battery has impressed the fuck out of me.

Attached: Screenshot_20180731-072551.jpg (1080x2280, 189K)

S6/S6e were just mAhlets.

A oneplus6 won't shit the bed if I ever decided to play 3d/graphics heavy games on it right?

>720p

Attached: clint.gif (240x228, 857K)

convince me not to buy this thing

Attached: gemini_15.jpg (900x729, 415K)

i'm not sure, is that topre?

no
here is what it looks like though
reviews on the keyboard say it's nice despite the size

Attached: IMG_20180412_235353-1.jpg (1024x667, 103K)

I don't see any usage for this shit

I can do desktop and phone stuff from one device that can fit in my pocket. I would essentially be able to carry a laptop i can make calls from around with me all the time that wouldnt be hell to type on. all without the need for a 2nd phone for a hotspot.

Going to give gramps an iPhone 4S. What is the newest version of iOS I can load on there that isn't slow trash like 9?

Attached: steve_jobs_by_rware-d3af4rz.jpg (487x740, 168K)

I'm coming off an HTC10, not so fond of what I'm seeing from the updated HTC's either. What would be the best bang for my buck, if I don't care much about, say, Camera quality and I just want to mostly listen to music and maybe play some games. Pixel2xl or OnePlus6?

IOS 7 ran pretty good on mine but ios 6 was by far the best ios on the phone.

Why u post this on every single thread u nerd

S9
Op6
Pixel 2

Which would you choose

Was he a fucking pedophile as well?

Just got a Nokia 7 plus best phone for the price flagship quality but the the screen makes it impossible to one hand though software makes it easier

Mi Mix 2S by Xiaomi

Oneplus 6
I'm coming from the htc 10 too, really missing the higher ppi screen and the gorgeous music speakers, but nothing else really offers that.

>riddled with bloatware, barely any improvements on the s8
>shite camera and speakers
>no headphone jack

choose your poison mate.

personally i'd go op6 becase i think the obsession to have these state of the art cameras on phones is fucking retarded. ffs i used to have a 5mp camera that was bigger than an xbox controller. also i like headphone jacks

Is the downside to pixel really only the headphone jack? Is the Google assistant as obnoxious as it is in other phones if I don't intend on using it?

I'm pissed with LG at the moment.

I find out they literally only have 1 repair center in all of Canada.

They have no problem advertising several services on their website that will fix your phone out of warranty for a fee, but for warranty repairs its one god damn location.

>just send it in sir
>repairs will take between 7-10 business days

I didn't want to reward Samsung after the Note 7 and their price gouging on the Galaxy series but at least they have a nearby repair center that will do repairs while you wait.