Why Linux isn't more popular among normies

Let's be honest for a second, Linux is a product just as much as a carton of milk is.
But unlike other products, Linux distros have no presence in the media or ads. But even if they had, who are the "faces" of Linux? An autistic finn and a literal neckbeard.

In order for Linux to be successful and garner a larger user base, it needs to reinvent itself, or at the very least the image it has. The first step would be to do away with that butt ugly penguin and get a new mascot/logo, it's so unprofessional it's not even funny.
Maybe get a few celebrities to popularize Linux. Actively use social media. Emphasize how modern, and cool Linux is - which technically isn't even a lie! There really are no people more edgy on the internet than Arch users.
And normies are learning to value security, and privacy more and more,especially after the Facebook analytics and Win 10 fallouts, so that could be another angle.

There is no reason why Linux can't be a competitive operating system.

Attached: 1426244979323.jpg (250x249, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: LinuxProsCons.jpg (638x479, 53K)

"hey guys lets make this popular, that
d surely have no downsides and only advantages"

no. fuck off.
Linux will die if it ever becomes popular
normies will cry for easy installers, gui programs and propieritary software, they'd ruin all the advantages Linux has because programmers will inevitably chase the larger audience

>The first step would be to do away with that butt ugly penguin and get a new mascot/logo
Fuck you, Tux stays and that's final.

Developers should do their jobs, too some of the best looking distros ever

Who gives a shit, desktops are become increasingly irrelevant.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You have the freedom to make and maintain your own SpergOS as much as you want. Also, linux is in laughable need of gui installers and dependency-packaged software.
*some of the best looking distros like chaletOS, zorin, and elementary were updated more than a year ago. How is that a selling point??

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1532467633207.png (408x350, 124K)

>normies will cry for easy installers
>gui programs
>videogaymes

Oh no, the horror.

Attached: 1536719826408.jpg (528x498, 56K)

Linux will never be popular among normies because macOS exists.

This.
>unix
>has a terminal if you need it
>one amazing DE instead of 100 lackluster ones

No, retard. We don't need a new logo or celebrity endorsements. We just have to get OEMs to install it on their budget PCs, and they already do it in the form of Chrome OS and sometimes Ubuntu. Normies don't reinstall their OS ever, they just use whatever was pre-loaded out of the box. Normies don't give a shit about what OS they run as long as it runs their programs. MS Office can be accessed through the browser and Google Chrome runs natively on Linux, along with other shitty programs like Discord and Steam and Skype. Normies don't use anything else anyways.

Attached: 1532800149620.png (692x687, 238K)

>100
No.
>lackluster
Fuck no.

But that's bullshit when did you last see pop! os laptop?

No, linux is not just a product like a carton of milk. Linux exsists in its current form due to a culture that has grown in the programming community that revolves around free open-source software. The unix culture has grown as something that is inherrently seperate from (though not necessarilly incompatible with) the corporatism of other operating systems that are just "products" (ie windows, MacOS/iOS, android). This culture, like any other, has its gatekeeping that "normies" must accept before they are allowed to enter in. However the tenants that guide the FOSS movement are not arbitrary, they are the results of many years of experience and the wisdom that has been brought with it.

Same reason Manual cars aren't popular with normies

>fuck no
the most popular distro changed its DE recently
How can somebody have faith in such an operating system? Imagine using win 7 Aero and suddenly next update you boot into win 10.

Ubuntu already exists, if they thought pursuing marketing bs was a good idea they'd do it.

Stop being a masochist

Imagine using win 7 Aero and suddenly next update you boot into win 10.
False equivalence. Changing DE does not equal changing the OS itself.

Never because it runs on overpriced autistic freetard horseshit that still uses non-free blobs. Meanwhile I've seen dozens of Chromebooks out in the wild, and those are literally running Gentoo.

Attached: 1531589087978.png (754x1158, 384K)

+pros:
you get to break your own system instead of having microsoft do it for you

Bah you can run the same programs from 7 in 10 so its all the same net result.

>dozens of Chromebooks out in the wild, and those are literally running Gentoo
Uhhuh, where, university?

Linux is exactly as 'popular' as the braindead masses deserve to know about it.
>normies are learning to value security, and privacy more and more
Bullshit. They hear about how insecure they are on Facebook, and their response is to send out alarmist chainmail posts (on Facebook), and beyond that just continue to be as illiterate as they were before.
>The first step would be to do away with that butt ugly penguin and get a new mascot/logo, it's so unprofessional it's not even funny.
>do away with that butt ugly penguin
>that butt ugly penguin
>butt ugly penguin
How. Dare you...

>muh scret club

Because nobody outside Jow Forums care about how free/libre your OS is, normies only care about get job done, they don't have time to learn how autistic alternative softwares works.

A few at my office and a bunch at the internet cafe across the street I eat lunch in every other day. Chromebooks are cheap as dirt and just work with long battery life. I have one that runs Debian.

>Imagine using win 7 Aero and suddenly next update you boot into win 10.
I don't know if this was intentional shitposting but this very literally happened to multiple people and people got mad about it. Without ever saying "yes please, replace my Windows 7 with Windows 10" people were force-fed it. It was even on a timer at one point, I remember reading how someone went away for the day while leaving the computer on and when they came back it had a different OS on it, because they weren't around to click "no" to stop it.

>normies only care about get job done
The job being running Chrome so they can get on their favorite social media.

linux's issue isn't the marketing and image (although despite there being nearly no need for J. Random Fucknuts to open up a terminal when he doesn't do anything programming related at all on a distro like Ubuntu, there's still the image that any Linux at all needs all these arcane terminal commands, and that one is a real problem)

linux's issue is very largely hardware and software -- you know, the kind of things that even allow for market penetration
>mostly works on your existing hardware except when it doesn't and it's not like it's widely available to buy pre-built machines with Linux
>there's a bunch of software available but it's not Word, it's not Photoshop, and most importantly, it's not the VB6 piece of shit your office had written back in 2001 and monkeypatched over the years, and the whole point of having an computer is to run the software you want

software wouldn't be as much of an issue if it weren't for hardware -- there'd be a market for Linux builds of Photoshop and the lot if Linux was more widespread and used by the sort of people who buy proprietary software
and for it to be more widespread, it needs to be a known-to-work option available to buy

windows succeeded entirely for legacy reasons, despite other commercial solutions in the market with technical advantages (not OS/2 though, that shit deserved to fail, shit barely had drivers for IBM branded hardware, let alone the clone machines everyone actually had, although it was a nice environment to run Windows 3 programs under)
by the time Linux grew enough to not just be a hobby project, and by the time the various other Unix-likes stopped fucking around so much with licensing, Windows 95 had happened, and MS was busy doing shit like slashing license fees for OEMs if they only carried Windows

Budget desktops and laptops should have Linux installed instead of Windows. Problem solved.

Congratulations, now people have stopped using their PC entirely and will start paying big bucks to computer repairmen because they don't know what an Oohbuntoo is.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

This.

It might sound like a cop-out answer, but it really is all about the fucking preinstalls. The best approach as things stand is pretty much, in almost every regard, what Google is doing with Chromebooks.

Of course, it's a shame that it's the restrictive, botnet OS that it is rather than a more traditional flavor of Linux, but oh well--at least they're going to allow you to run native Linux applications in the near future. Still, I'd love to see the Chromebook approach, but with a more conventional distribution. Linux is absolutely perfect for the casual user (and the power user, for that matter--it's sort of the middle ground where I feel it currently falters).

Doesn't seem to happen with mobiles devices, which tend to run on BSD derivatives.

Kek, this reminds me of what happened a few years ago in the shit hole that I live when they started selling computers with Ubuntu, people bought PCs with ubuntu because it was cheaper and soon after they paid someone to install windows with a pirate key.

M$ won't let them though. They pressure manufacturers into only providing their OS.

Sound reasoning, except Linux is a kernel.

/thread

Who gives a shit about wanting normies to use it? The less retards using Linux, *BSD, etc. operating systems, the better.

>games
>con

Are you replying to the right post? I didnt really say anything masochistic.

go masturbate nerd

Open-source software barely has the funding to see (relevant) development; it's far from being marketed at all.

We need proprietary shilling. As of right now the only option I can see is (please god no) jewgle.

Until Linux support becomes mainstream enough to be usable without having to revert to my inner NEET whenever I boot it up, I'm staying on Windows 10.

>The user will ask for what he wants instead of setting for what we want
isn't this the reason you abandoned windows for linux though?

>Want to get into Linux
>everybody at work and uni uses windows
>have to deal with shit like libreoffice shitting the bed with Microsoft office documents everytime

Tablets were a meme that is dying and desktops and laptops are growing again, faggot.

google's got their own child OS in development now (Fuchsia) so i doubt that's gonna happen. and when they announce its release normies and hipster script kiddies will flock to it because it's the latest "cutting edge" technology, without giving linux a try once in their entire life.

how about Red Hat or Canonical actually try to get a real linux distro installed by default on some floor models at Best Buy or Fry's?

the fact that they don't is just pathetic.

fact is, if you look at the boomers and the gen-z's and the humanities-major millenials and the children, nobody knows SHIT about computers, and haven't even encountered the basic concept of installing their own OS. either it's stock mac store or stock best buy windoze/chromebook botnet

chromebooks did what linux needs to do: put it on the fucking shelf at the store. any of the big corps could make ubuntu or fedora way more popular if they sold any model of their computer with windoze PLUS the option of linux for 25 bucks cheaper. just market it as a netbook / email book... maybe for 10$ offer 1 year customer service or some shit you could hire some indians to staff

>Imagine using win 7 Aero and suddenly next update you boot into win 10.
If this is serious than it's the most retarded analogy I've read all week.
If it's bait, than mediocre.

As was stated in , many people quite literally DID boot into Windows 10 on their next update. It wasn't a Windows 7 update, sure. But that doesn't negate the validity of Microshaft vicariously shoving it down the throats of its customers.

Attached: summerfag.png (600x600, 361K)

>Free
Only if your time is worthless.

>Secure
Only if you have installed the Grsecurity/PaX patches (something 99.99% of the posers who install Linux will never do) otherwise Windows is far more secure out of the box.

>Versatile
Marketing buzzword.

>Scalable
Marketing buzzword.

>Designed for continuous running.
Getting quite desperate, are we?

>Portable
They don't give a shit about this, hence why systemd exists. They literally only care about being the next Windows.

>Short debug time
Because this only happens on Lunix

>Community spirit
HAHAHA! Oh wait you are serious? let me laugh even harder.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Attached: d4f96f0aa28cc7ca6971bc9a33d48204.jpg (600x450, 37K)

If it was popular there would be much more malware targeting it

>Let's be honest for a second, Linux is a product just as much as a carton of milk is.
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Product
>“Product”
>If you're talking about a product, by all means call it that. However, when referring to a service, please do not call it a “product.” If a service provider calls the service a “product,” please firmly insist on calling it a “service.” If a service provider calls a package deal a “product,” please firmly insist on calling it a “deal.”
>An autistic finn and a literal neckbeard.
Linus Torvalds is based.
>The first step would be to do away with that butt ugly penguin and get a new mascot/logo, it's so unprofessional it's not even funny.
Wrong. First step is make a distribution, like Android, that will work. And explain avg facebook user, what is proprietary and why it is bad.
Otherwise they'll use Linux+GNU for running Wine.

I know this is bait but you have to be retarded to think windows is more secure than Linux, we all know who we're talking about when we say we don't want (((them))) prying into our stuff. Second off windows 10 won't run on older computers, and lastly the newest edition of windows costs somewhere around $100 dollars. Instead of dropping it on spyware in a fancy package people could use it for something useful

A very dumbed down video with plenty of animations for low-attention-spam normies would be good indeed for pushing FOSS ideology. Does that exist yet?

This. Android is just an example of what happens when normies get Linux.

Not everyone needs to put superchargers and switch up the suspensions in their cars either.

Bitching about normies not using tux is poser-tier. Like no shit soccer mom who just needs a grocery getter isn't pulling out the radio and the seats to go rallying.

That is what OS's like Linux are, they are like tuner cars, you got a supra good for you snowflake.

Linux is exactly as it should be. It does not need widespread coverage or some fucking reinvention. It's a simple OS which people either for some reason use as a desktop OS or for personalised tasks.

Mainstream desktop Linux as you people here recognise it will never exist. That's great though. Again, Linux is exactly as it should be.

>There is no reason why Linux can't be a competitive operating system.

It fucking sucks, there's your reason.

There's no money in it, that's the primary reason.

It's too difficult to use even for some computer literate people that aren't some autistic OCD suffering beings who just seem to "get it" about Linux and how fucked up it really is.

Sorry, Windows rules the world, whether you fucking like it or not and will for decades to come.

Tried Mint 19 recently, still dogshit slow, quite a bunch of shit not properly translated to the local language here, went back to windows 10 which is also dogshit slow on old hardware, but at least things were properly translated and system wouldn't hang just opening my computer.

>There is no reason why Linux can't be a competitive operating system.
why would anyone bother fucking around with the command line when windows already does everything for them?

ChromeOS and Android are Linux for normies. Normies hate GNU for some reason.

I never felt like this was more true until I deleted parts of my file system that I can't fix.
Some web pages load, but this site doesn't on any browser, and also dpkg doesn't work and the typing in terminal outputs underneath the user name.

Oh it is. Most devices that have a computer built in is mostly running Linux. Smart TVs and normal TVs, Anything with Android, Set top boxes, so on. Not saying all devices, but a lot.

Forgot to add, Chromebooks/boxes.

>normies
Seriously kill yourself you 12yo. Using this word does not make you seem cool and it doesn't cause you to "fit in". Stop being such a cancerous summerfag.

>There is no reason why Linux can't e a competitive operating system
No technical reason. There are still reasons though. Otherwise, it would be competitive right now. We still have a ways to go, and a lot of it has to do with money.

windows *is* more secure than linux, just a bigger target.
aslr and other shit that used to be part of EMET before it was rolled into defender debuted on windows years before linux equivalents.
its honestly surprising how secure windows and all its legacy cruft can be, but i suppose it goes to show that security through obscurity *is* security, no matter what the naysayers say

It's not that simple. You want big enough market share for Linux so that you can get all the good programs and games but not too big so that normies infest your community. 10% seems about right to me.

It's not more popular due to pic related. Font rendering is Linux's major weakness. If Loonix devs could figure out decent font rendering then I would switch in a fucking heartbeat.

Attached: F3ADF.png (743x462, 39K)

if you know english why do you need translation?

>implying normies give a shit about font rendering
My brother uses Windows 10 on 1920x1080 monitor and drive letters look like they are from 8-bit game font (literally, not kidding). No one except me noticed it.

>Font rendering is Linux's major weakness.
Is it?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-07-31 15:38:23.png (3840x2160, 581K)

It's unpopular because it isn't preinstalled. If tomorrow 99% of computers were sold with Ubuntu Normies would use Ubuntu, after some reactionary backlash.

>Font rendering is Linux's major weakness.
Have you seen the Frontrendering on Windows. Linux looks awesome compared to that.

I had windows 7 for 5 years, and then i install kubuntu on 2 months, when i came back to windows 7, i couldn't believe, that i didn't notice how shit is font rendering on windows.

I had a similar experience when I was assigned a macbook to use at work. The font rendering was great on the main screen. However, it looked like shit whenever plugged into other monitors.

>programmers will inevitably chase the larger audience
For examples see:
>Systemd
>Pulseaudio

Oh so FOSSfags are real macho with their setups, until unaudited big boy projects start rolling in and they shrivel.

It is succesfully used on anything from crockpots to ISS. How are those buzzwords in Linux's case?

Also has become userfriendly enough in the last couple of years that I no longer agree with the statemnt "It's only free if your time is worthless". That might have been true a while ago but that is almost completely in the past.

Also, if everyone has figured out how to break something it is by definition not secure. Doesn't matter how sugoi the tech or methods are. So that is just plain BS

HAHAHA! Oh wait you are serious? let me laugh even harder.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Zorin is just Ubuntu with a fancy GUI though

Attached: the terminal.png (650x266, 39K)

My flat-earther, conspiracy theorist friend uses Ubuntu.

People like, you is what killing the world.

kys retard

Steam tried it, it failed miserably.
You need both good software and good marketing to sell it to normies. If actual good distro (like mint) does it it may actually work, but they don't have the money to put into marketing and won't gain anything from it.

if your time is worthless you fix windows

doesn't know what scalable means retards calls it buzzword

Autists like you two are killing it too.
Make linux a favor and stop using it.

Attached: Untitled.png (1151x592, 74K)

out of all these OEM is probably the biggest reason.
people don't care what OS you run when all you do is facebook / youtube / twitch
heck, the only reason why IE had such a big market share was simply because it came preinstalled on windows

>it needs to reinvent itself
Impossible.
With the way distros and open source in general works, nobody will ever be in agreement on what Linux should be.
- The UI is split between several options that are confusing to the average user.
- The program library is a fucking mess.
- Support is a joke.
- The majority of the userbase is so autistic, they'll chase off any new users with their anti-Windows rants since there'll be constant comparisons between the two OSs.
Think of it this way: If your average normie can't build their own PC, how the fuck do you expect them to use an OS that requires the technical skills they don't have?

Does it really matter if it's not popular? I feel like popularity would just ruin it

Windows has all those pros and none of the cons

It isn't popular because there is no company behind it. Why the fuck would tech iliterates use something overcomplicated, with no guarantee of work and virtually no software they are used to?

>It isn't popular because there is no company behind it
Redhat? Canonical? SUSE?

So propaganda

>Why Linux isn't more popular among normies

1. Lack of marketing.
2. Lack of pre-builts in stores.

When we place all the normie shit on gnu, it will become worse than gnu. Adding elements that don't fit the desktop is stupid

same reason apple dont allow macos on any hardware, Ms would come down on them like a ton of bricks.