/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: CIA.jpg (842x1298, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/sSMsTbf9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Install openPEPE

Is it worth it to learn bash scripting?
For things like batch renaming. I could use python though.

nigger check my digits out

use ksh

i have found many uses for bash scripting
and i have used bash scripts for batch renaming

you only have to learn like 10 things in bash and you can already make powerful scripts

>text analysis
How many unique posters does /fglt/ have?

I discovered:
>that chatty guixsd guy, usually longer posts
>that gnu butthurt guy, usually missing spaces at periods
>capt. capslock, usually uppercases IMPORTANT words

Attached: 1526491255992.jpg (480x480, 34K)

I use Arch Linux.

How do I get MPV to display on the framebuffer? Ive installed gentoo and don't want to have an Xserver.

last thread was 83 so we probably have ~100 or something peak.

nvidia

Attached: nvidia_fuckyou.webm (1280x720, 722K)

this image implies I don't know basic online security.
if you're a moron line you're a moron in real life

Attached: gettyimages-826121550-master-1506462298.jpg (768x512, 57K)

When the fuck is this going to be fixed?
Latest sid as of 5 minutes ago.
What the fuck debian, I had to switch to openpepe because of this.
Yes, this is a completely fresh install, no frakendebian or any of that.

Attached: Screenshot_20180731_015155.png (902x675, 224K)

Well you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize, congratulations. This kind of shit happening is just what happens when you run a bleeding-edge development version. (And it's not unique to Debian, you'd see it in, for instance, Fedora rawhide, too) You don't like it, use testing, where it happens much less often than in sid.

It's in testing too.
I like stable for servers and general purpose desktops, but I'm not going to use a 5 year old version of wine

Then you get to wait until the devs fix the dependencies. Or build it from source, if you care to go through all that. Once it is installed, then some days you might try to update and find that either you can't because of some fucked dependency, or that the upgrade finishes but something's broke. This just plain inherently happens more often the closer to bleeding edge you get.

Do you have any idea how long it fucking takes to compile wine?
Also this has been an issue since last friday, no clue what the fuck is taking so long for them to fix the repo.
Same problem with python when installing qutebrowser.

Got it working, I just had to add "fbcon" to my use flags.

Does your install have mouse support?

Shell integrates far better with standard system utils. The alternative is calling subprocess() in Python. Also, it's nice to have immediate access to IO rediction, pipes, to wildcards, etc. The same in Python is far too verbose and hacky.

How can change the colors in my terminal for the shell, vim and so on but keep the default (or another set of colors) for dialog?

How are Acer Aspire laptops in terms of Linux compability?

Attached: 1444342842313.jpg (876x719, 117K)

So a while back I bought a surface tablet to take notes on but it's barely able to even do that. I believe it was a surface 3, the thing runs horibly and wanted to install linux on it. Last I heard, I think there was a weird issue about it not detecting the keyboard and screen. Does anyone know if that got resolved and how well linux runs on a surface?

I have a surface and ubuntu runs fine on it

I have an Acer thing from a few years ago

I haven't noticed any real issues. Bios is a bit fucky because uefi, and getting GPU drivers is annoying because nvidia, but those arent Acer specific issues at all. Other than that I've had no real issues. On a software level at least - don't know if I would recommended from a hardware perspective.

That's comforting to hear, but what model is it? It runs different on pro models apparently.

Had a few Acer laptops in the past, pretty good so far hardware wise. Either going for an Acer Aspire 5, a Swift 3 or spend more on a Dell Latitude to replace my shitty HP, not sure yet

I mean mostly in terms of build quality. At least the thing I've got (I forget the exact name/model) is absolute shite

Last Acer laptop I used was some netbook from 2009. Really solid build quality.

Is it worth to learn and use gentoo?

Where can I find a comprehensive guide/book about gentoo?

>Is it worth to learn and use gentoo?
no
>Where can I find a comprehensive guide/book about gentoo?
you don't.

gentoo lost their wiki backups years ago and hasn't had good documentation since

funtoo? is a good alternative?

How can i do full disk enceyption post-install?

you cant

i can't think of one single reason to use gentoo over other distros

oh good to hear that

Attached: e94_0.png (403x373, 55K)

Why not

Attached: oogaboogaaa.jpg (800x450, 38K)

Is android a botnet?

Getting this error with virtualbox,
xcb is installed. Reinstalling xcb and related packages and virtualbox its self did not resolve the problem.
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen,

android itself is not.
However the following may be:
-proprietary kernel modules
-GSM "co-processor"
-proprietary crapware installed including but not limited to google play services

You just cant, thats not how encryption works.

maybe it's time to give up on virtualbox

How did wannacry work?

Are there any good tools that can download files from filehosters similar to JDownloader on Linux?

I remember plowshare was one, but I'm pretty sure its a dead project. JDownloader looks highly suspect with add-ons and such now, but it works damn well and I don't know of anything like it.

wannacry encrypted individual files based on extensions, not fucking everything.

why did you remove xcb from the available platform plugins list

Shitty copypaste job from last thread

Erorr remains the same

Also, when you encrypt a file, you are actually encrypting a copy of the file and deleting the original.

Running Manjaro KDE and whenever I go into power saving mode, one of my monitors goes from blank screen to off repeatedly. (backlights on then off).

This is the only distro that does this. Anyone know what's up?

Attached: dpms.webm (324x576, 1.59M)

Yes.

it's fixed by doing a dist-upgrade

literally just tried update && dist-upgrade. Same thing
Keep in mind that this is a completely fresh sid install, nothing but MATE from the installer prompt was installed.
what
the
fuck
Again, had to move to opensuse on my elitebook because of this

Attached: Screenshot_20180731_120429.png (1366x783, 218K)

>tell your os to install something
>no sorry we arent going to install it and we arent giving you a reason why
LOL
ABSOLUTE STATE OF DEBIAN

>implying the CIA is doing any of that
>implying the NSA didn't make the CIA obsolete years ago
>implying the NSA hasn't itself been compromised by Unit 8200

Stop trying to obfuscate who the real enemy is.

You're stupid, learn to read or kys.

>bit it is not going to be installed
Pacman has never told me that what i tell it to install isnt going to be installed, NOT ONCE

and how many times has that resulted on breaking something?

well if i go on my fresh sid install and
use aptitude and try to install wine32-development , it shows me options i can try to fix it

but even if i follow the suggestions it just ends up with only letting me install wine-development and wine64-development

wine32-development is broken somehow with those packages i don't fully get it im' a brainlet

Attached: g3892.png (803x557, 94K)

Zero, i change my config filed when needed

arch wizards, shill to me as hard as you can.
i want to stop putting it off and finally make the switch.

Are you retarded? You're using Sid. Things can and will break. Be a good boy and report this shit to the maintainers.

thx

Arch is a stepping stone.

broken python

>install gentoo
meh
i don't see the point honestly.
How much useless shit can i really disable?

- memory consuming
- bloated packages and kernel
- malware ridden user repo

You get the Arch logo in ur screenfetch.

any of them. OpenRC enables nothing by default and asks nothing when you disable something.

>python devs put out python3
>lazy devs dont want to update their scripts
>cause uproar
>arch devs have none of it
If python didnt want 3 to come out, they wouldnt have put 3 out. They would have made another 2.X.
It is not arch's fault that lazy shit devs cant update their scripts in time(its been years)

Do you not know what USE flags are? Every package has tons of options for things to disable/enable. Things which normally just all get built into your software on other distros which you have no control over.

fair enough, i may finally give gentoo a try.

It's a good balance between gentoo and distros like mint and ubuntu. Not that it's anywhere near as time consuming to install as gentoo(for a first time user, no scripts or genkernel). If you've done any sort of live CD install a couple of times, arch install should be straight forward. It's the same as most other distros, only you don't get a GUI for it.

I found arch much easier to use than ubuntu. I didn't have to track down and disable shit ubuntu has enabled by default, even on their 'mini' install.

If I were interested in building a new PC is there anything on the horizon I should be waiting for? I've been putting it off for quite a while now since a lot of things seemed to be in upheaval lately with hardware vendors.

Has it quieted down, is this a good stable period I should buy into, or are there still major changes coming in the next year or so?

Note that I'm asking in this thread because I'm particularly concerned with hardware as it pertains to GNU/Linux. If there are things on the horizon which only effect Windows users then I don't care about that.

i mean it's never really a "great" time because there's always new hardware looming. But AMD stuff is bretty gud and very ideal on linux so go for it. Nvidia's 1180 is expected out this year but i highly doubt it. Because the same shit happened with the 9 and 1080 being pushed back.

So i've been having some issues with ssh recently and I have fuck all experience with networking.
Everytime I try to connect to my other laptop It comes up with
>Could not resolve hostname .... Name or >service not known
I've used ssh on this laptop before so I cant figure out whats gone wrong and google has failed me. Its exactly the same message I get on my other laptop, and they are both running manjaro.
Can it be something to do with my router as i've recently moved to a new place?

Attached: 1520464523618.jpg (645x729, 48K)

It's in testing too
They don't update the 32 bit repos at the same time as the 64 bit repos
It's been over a week with this shit

I’m really interested in completely switching to Linux, I haven’t been able to go balls deep for awhile due to some specific Windows programs I need that don’t work too well in wine (Japanese visual novel text hooking shit) but I’m fairly certain I could make the switch if that wasn’t an issue.

Qubes looks interesting, the security aspect seems cool, and running a locked down Windows VM would help me out tremendously with my weeaboo bullshit. Is it as cool as it looks in the screenshots, or is this going to be a massive buggy mess?

I don’t mind taking the time to learn the ins and outs of it

Attached: image.jpg (1600x900, 1.06M)

Im not a programmer, but how hard would it be to get ubuntu software working on other distros if i have the source code?

Not difficult, but depending on the distro it could have that software in their own repos.

- No
- No
- Lasted 3 hours.(on a minor used package,that also failed to do any damage since it had a typo in its script) Other distros have had issues with their ISO being maliciously changed

>(Japanese visual novel text hooking shit)
if that's the only thing you need, you could just VM windows, though depending on your hardware the VM layers could start to chug.
There's also Open/HardenedBSD if security is a primary concern. BSD also has the security luxury of being irrelevant as a desktop OS. Give both a try i guess though.

Are you using the lts kernel? Try the 4.17 kernel instead

Sorry meant for

Ignore the Debiantards they pretend like anyone have problems with their good awful distro is a moron. Sid is a mess and "stable" is old and unusable. Just switch to a different distro. MXlinux is pretty good.

>2018
>Not using gimp gradient tool for all your circles.

Attached: Untitled.png (800x600, 526K)

Should I focus on customization and ricing on my first time using GNU/Linux, or just get it working first before bothering with it?

you should rice your mdadm, dm-crypt, lvm/btrfs first.

>2018
>using 10 year old memes

what

well, if you've installed GNU/Linux, then you won't be able to rice those things, you've passed that point. You gotta rice it from the get go bro

Why should I stop using ubanto (server version + xfce as desktop) and use debian instead?

- Debian has NO RELEASE CYCLE
- Debian has NO PPA.
- Debian is OUTDATED AS FUCK

Attached: sorry.jpg (517x350, 21K)

retard

Use Linux From Scratch.

sudo apt -f install

Attached: 1397195397532.gif (194x111, 2.89M)

>installing arch w/ kde
>Some (Debian & Ubuntu, Fedora, KDE) recommend not installing the xf86-video-intel driver, and instead falling back on the modesetting driver for fourth generation and newer GPUs. See [1], [2], Xorg#Installation, and modesetting(4). However, the modesetting driver can cause problems such as Chromium Issue 370022. Also, the modesetting driver will not be benefited by Intel GuC/HuC/DMC firmware.

I've always used xf86 intel driver but this is the first time I've read this. is it a meme or should i use mesa?

code faggot

Hope you've got 16G+ of RAM

I'm running Mint 19 with i3, it takes ages to boot, about two minutes, I ran systemd-analyze and systemd-analyze blame, here's the output if it helps
pastebin.com/sSMsTbf9

Do you plan on using chromium or GuC/HuC/DMC firmware.?