/wdg/ Web Degenerate General

Previous:

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018 - A Practical Guide

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: SoThreeWeeksToLearnJSThen100kWebDevRight?.png (1572x3028, 503K)

Other urls found in this thread:

repl.it/@DoubleCouponDay/FlawedSwelteringTasks
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Property_accessors
auto.archerx.com
stackoverflow.com/questions/5523135/htaccess-produces-500-internal-server-error
expressjs.com/en/starter/static-files.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/10631933/nginx-static-file-serving-confusion-with-root-alias
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nuJS syntax makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon

>we'll be in touch
Sounds like every HR ever.
I'm in 'late stages' of several interview processes right now.
I've been working full-time for two weeks because one employer just hired me practically on the spot, not expecting to hear back from any of the others.

It's completely normal to go from 'great interview' to them not replying to emails and never give you a clue as to why you didn't make it or they don't want to talk to you. I hate the fucking system.

I wish someone could go through that roadmap and attaching learning resources for each one. Between Udemy courses and codecademy I feel like I'm learning scattered bits and pieces.

Thanks for volunteering!

Jow Forumsuys im a java dev and i want to build some websites that are more than a couple of html pages. Should I go with one of the java web frameworks like spring or learn javascript and php?

miss the days when web dev was cowboy coders writing procedural php and not hormonal enterprise hipsters needlessly abstracting everything into stupid boxes with buzzword names.

Attached: 75N6.gif (480x270, 924K)

You'll need javascript, css and html either way.
Java/Spring is acceptable as an alternative to PHP and better than node though.

>cowboy coders writing procedural php
This is literally my team.
We're all 40ish old-school writing procedural php that's a complete mess.
It's fun!

why the fuck wont this javascript method override?

repl.it/@DoubleCouponDay/FlawedSwelteringTasks

I have an object inside an object called rooms.timers

I have a variable of
roomName = "tech"

How would I dynamically push a variable into my object to make it look like this
room.timer.tech = "test"

But I need to do it dynamically using roomName's value

room.timer.tech = rooomName

you should have read the docs...

Dynamically using roomName.

I don't want the value to be tech, the value isn't even important to what I'm doing.

I want to push the RoomName into room.timer to create room.timer.tech without hardcoding room.timer.tech.

nigga read the docs. in dynamic languages. you can assign properties to object at runtime.

Scratch that, I'm just using arrays now.

Assuming you're talking about JavaScript, you do rooms.timer[roomName] = "test";

Since properties of an object can be accessed either with dot notation or with bracket notation:
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Property_accessors

Pretty much. I think this specific feature is generally called "reflection".

Thanks mate, perfect. Have a random image from my folder.

Attached: benis.jpg (388x604, 33K)

would you post your work on awwwards.com?

auto.archerx.com

Would this impress any potential employers? Should I add it to my cv/portfolio?

faggot duymbie

if you're serioius about that you should do reasonml like a big boy

Neat, but i don't understand what i'm looking at

need some tutorial for this

bruh look at this dude

Attached: sss.png (1303x495, 82K)

/wdg/ pls help

I was using PuTTY to connect to a remote server and I exited PuTTY without exiting the server through command line and now I can't connect to the server and it's giving me "Network error: Connection timed out"

Google isn't helping in particular

How do I get into my server boys?

>auto.archerx.com

why is does your URL start with auto?

Are you familiar with the concept of runtime complexity

I've rebuilt my Digital Ocean droplet now so ignore this question

I would like to create a web application for writing down companies finance reports and automatically calculating roi, ebitda and so on instead of typing everything on excel for investing analysis.
I think i would create a form for typing companies reports and saving them to database (since my local ocmpanies bloomberg reports suck)
Also i think further on i would create users, registrations with permissions on who could access which information...
Which stack, frameworks or at least web technologies could /wdg/ recommend for this job?

>I would like to create a web application for writing down companies finance reports and automatically calculating roi, ebitda and so on instead of typing everything on excel for investing analysis.

that already exists, user

doest it exists not only for calculating stuff, but also for writing your own data?
Also i guess it is mostly paid.
Also i guess it wouldn't have correct information on my market companies just like with bloomberg.

After working for several months, my webpage is now throwing a 500 error without me touching it at all.
I checked the logs and found this:
...public_html/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_flag', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

What the shit? Like i said i never even touched the httaccess file and the php_flag always worked before

stackoverflow.com/questions/5523135/htaccess-produces-500-internal-server-error

Thanks for nothing. I said it worked fine for months and I never touched it.
Plus the same file is working fine on my test server.

I’m a guy looking to do webdev for a bit of fun. I can do some okay things with HTML/CSS/JS, so looking to get into backend. What’ll be a simple backend? Node looked a bit too hard and menacing.

amen

>Node looked a bit too hard and menacing
Learn JavaScript. You are going to need it for front end anyways

Yo I have set up Node with Nginx successfully but it's an Express app and it isn't recognising /public/stylesheets since it's being run from /bin/www

Anybody have experience with getting an Express app online with Nginx?

>you need to be more thorough when working on important stuff user
alrighty I don't know anything about the paypal API so let me do some tutorials to get to know it before diving into the broken code
>no, ask the guy who quit to send you some documentation
okay then

Conway’s game of life using js and html

Yes, it’s a grid of dynamic divs

Automata, because it’s a cellular automata simulation

Yes, I make games, if I want it to go super fast I would have used canvas, but I wanted to see how far I could push straight up html

Attached: FF1002B4-0C38-4A0E-BE66-472DC8CAF021.jpg (618x619, 107K)

Either use express.static: expressjs.com/en/starter/static-files.html

or use nginx's location: stackoverflow.com/questions/10631933/nginx-static-file-serving-confusion-with-root-alias

nobody uses it anymore

>3 new submission on homepage
nigga wat?

Has anyone tried TypeScript 3.0 yet?

Attached: 1532873128703.png (369x455, 242K)

If i could make a full fledged site using purely html and css, with js only where required, would that be a bad idea? Is it better to just use react, vue etc.? I feel like this stuff is just too complicated and unoptimized with many problems, unlike old school html and css. Plus, css3 and html5 have definitely come a long way and make this route much more reasonable aswell. Note, im very new to this and have been using freecodecamp, codeacademy and some help here and there from w3schools for certain things so there might be some other factors im not thinking.

Depends on your definition of a full fledged website.

When building a static website, with little to no back-end interaction, and little state management there's nothing wrong with just writing the HTML/CSS/JS. Or simply generating this HTML using static site generators using any templating language.

When writing an actual web application, with async dataflow, websockets, and lots of state management these front-end frameworks will do the heavy lifting.

Thanks user, this was helpful. Some of the factors such as state management and async flow didn't come to mind when I was considering this.

>call(fn: (...args: TS) => R, ...args: TS): R
wew lad

I am having so much trouble trying to learn Redux. I'm slowly, slowly, slowly learning it, but my head can't seem to wrap around it easily. I don't know what it is. Maybe I just find it boring or don't understand why it's useful for React?

What was the most tedious thing you learnt?

Why are you pretending to know what state management or async flow is?

asp.net entity framework

it's does too much magical shit

The concept of stores really clicked with me, I enjoy it a lot. Although you need TS for it, working on it with vanilla JS would be annoying.
I had to learn Dojo in a time that jQuery was all the rage, that was pretty painful.

What do you mean you need typescript for redux? All the tutorials are just ES6+React when teaching Redux.

I know of state management from developing android apps and some gui java programs, unless I'm getting it mixed up with something else.
I wasn't familiar with the concept for synchronous and asynchronous transmission until I came across it on a few medium articles recently. Even then I only have a very basic understanding it.

I don't mean redux. What I use is Vue with Sinai library.

Meant to

I want to use npm global packages without sudo.
Every guide told me to change the npm prefix to something in the users home directory and to add the folders to the PATH.
I added the new prefix to .npmrc, to my PATH and made sure the package is installed, but it still doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong?

Attached: node.png (902x259, 5K)

>global packages
Don't do that

why not?
I replaced most of my bash scripts with node scripts already, but for that I have 1 Scripts folder where I installed the packages locally.
But sometimes I want to use the node cli and test some functions in any folder, for that I would need global packages, wouldn't I?

where is the Angular branch?

npm i -D every single time

Attached: 1532715651097.jpg (759x847, 110K)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but, do DAPPS like cryptoKittens have any backend languge in the normal sense? or is it all just JS looking at the etherum blockchain?

what's /g7 way to learn things? memorizing? taking notes? code code code until it burns into your memory?

code code code until it burns into your memory

Recently I've found what works well for me is watching tutorials in their entirety (without wasting time coding along) supplemented with reading documentation in my free time.

>Have a clear view of what you want to do
>read the docs VERY briefly
>play with it
>read the docs in depth now
>do the thing properly

Attached: 1532875547026.jpg (953x1200, 272K)

You do that with your hand after you're done?

>Yes, it’s a grid of dynamic divs
It might be slightly more impressive in React. There's a tonne of XOX games in React, this would be a cut above.

What have you shipped this month anons?

I just do a random tutorial. Nothing works as it should but by the time I work out why, I understand the thing more or less.

never shipped in my life

Sad!

What have you shipped this month?

Two game build sites, and a portfolio redesign (making it easier to maintain tbqh). Thanks for asking user! :3

>:3
never understood this emoji

is it a person with a dick in its mouth and only the balls are left outside of the mouth?

I shipped a dropdown that selected from a list of Yammer groups, autofilled the group names from the Yammer API and then filtered some other stuff based on the multiselected groups in the dropdown.

Also some hotfixes for shit that I broke in production because I pushed to the wrong branch like a noob.

It was an eventful first week.

I think it's supposed to be a cute smile, think anime girl with curled up lips.

How would react make this better? Serious question

Attached: White Bordom.jpg (700x525, 70K)

>Hey user, can we sync really quick? Just want to pick your brain about your Q3 goals moving foward. Cheers!
>Sure, let's touch base at 2pm. I just gotta hop on a call real quick.

Attached: 1533029935557.png (225x225, 22K)

I said impressive, not better.
You want a job, use sophisticated technology. Even if it's pointless to do so.

As a remote web dev, that's kind of how my day goes. Fortunately we use English.
>tfw company founder is immigrant and all the devs are old crusty locals using salty expressions that confuse the fuck out of him

>what does 'died in the arse' mean again and how can a browser do it?

It's a happy cat, you pervert.

for you

>:3
Newfag faggot redditor

why the homophobia?

Probably not a great place to ask, I have no idea how blockchain works and I doubt many people outside of an ethereum-specific forum do either.

From what I know though, blockchain-based apps are build to be decentralized, so I think it pretty much uses JS for the business logic, going through the MetaMask plugin to actually communicate with the blockchain.

Eh, mostly just fake it till you make it. When you don't know something, or you knew at one point and forgot, look at the docs again. Eventually you memorize the important shit. If you know absolutely nothing, learn the bare minimum to get a demo or whatever working, then build on that.

client web stuff are shit

What does it have to do with reddit, never seen a smiley there.

Are you a better programmer than your peers?

Attached: 1528327636759.jpg (4000x2992, 2.88M)

Yes but that is honestly not saying much at all

I made a redirect script. And now I want to log the IP of the user that gets redirected, to ensure its not one bot clicking on all the links.

I tried three methods, but none of them appear to output the correct IP address.

REMOTE_ADDR = outputs the server's IP
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR = I get nothing
HTTP_X_REAL_IP = I get nothing

What should I do?

you should not do anything or i'm gonna go GDPR on your ass

Well it's completely broken on my phone so I'd say no.

post screenshot

Ok, especially for you I will obfuscate the IP.

But I still need a working solution to detect crawlers.

Do a module check before your php_flag block.

How does a redirection detect crawlers?

A screenshot won't help. The problem is it doesn't scroll or react to touch input so it's essentially a screenshot as is.

there's one company that still does that where i live. they said they'd employ me if i carried out some exercise they set up but i'm too lazy.

I figured that if I see one IP address click on 5 links for example I could just filter it away. So I can have a clean log of how people travel the website.

It barely runs on my shit work computer so I'd guess it's just a performance issue.

How do I stop mixed content warnings when my users are embedding http links in a wysiwyg?

Attached: Please_look_at_the_Wii_U_gamepad.gif (320x213, 1.3M)