What do you do if a friend wants you to get on Discord but you don't want to because it's a botnet...

What do you do if a friend wants you to get on Discord but you don't want to because it's a botnet? You don't want to look like a tinfoil hat wearer, so what excuse do you come up with?

Attached: discord.jpg (950x534, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Half-Shot/matrix-appservice-discord
support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004027692-Requesting-a-Copy-of-your-Data
discordapp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Find better friends.

you can post to discord from irc if you use a bot.

Tell them to just use facebook messenger, it's a superior platform

>facebook messenger
Sounds even more botnety than discord

yea woe is me that people are collecting all my data of dumbass pictures that i send between my friends lol yea its so valuable im so shocked that all my data on a fake account is being mined the absolute horror

I'm amused that you think it's a fake account.

fpbp it isn't tinfoil hattery if they really are trying to monitor everything everyone says

Run it from a Browser then without creating an account.

"Sorry, I'm not into men."

Attached: 1502680157706.jpg (576x432, 23K)

Does this really make a difference. I don't believe it.

They track everything you do with discord but they won't be looking at all of your processes anymore

"Sorry, I don't want to use Discord."

Use discord within my browser, while also using tor and a VPN.

Stop being a fag and use it. Fuck do you have to hide

Tell him it's shit, hogs resources and locks up after messing with audio settings. It's not that far off.

i was in the exact same situation, eventually i decided to just go through with it and use discord

i would rather have fun and spend time with friends than be left as an outsider who put his fears about corporate spying above friendship, and also quickly realised that my real name isnt mentioned there at all, and none of my linked accounts have my real name in them either, and its not like talking about our latest game of [fotm shooter] is going to provide any juicy gossip

>Tor AND VPN
Woah how does it feel when loading a page takes 5 minutes?

I told him it uses too much CPU power and he said I was bullshitting.

Jow Forums will preach about how much they value their privacy and how they use 14 different VPN's yet will have one password for every one of their accounts.

Who fucking cares if they can track what you're doing they've been doing it for bloody ages what are you so worried about i just dont understand.
(they as in companies and government)

I don't use discord, they can reach me through other means.

this

speak for yourself brainlet, all of my systems are encrypted with dm-crypt and their passwords are 128bit keepass generated, the same applies with online accounts and most important ones also have 2FA with FreeOTP

I've got like 12 different passwords between 8 and 13 letters long but it's basically just 5-6 different words/word combinations with 2 sets of numbers afterwards or 1! at the end... Still better than one password

Don't be a bitch and let your dipshit friend boss you around. You sound like a pushover. Tell him Discord is gay.

Say "no, use Mumble" or Riot.im

Uses too much RAM on your machine.

Um.. Use it? How fucking autistic are you that you want to find a way out. Discord is the most popular gaming communications platform on the market. Everybody uses it. So what if they track shit?

You know what happens with my friends if I refuse to use software or buy the cool new game? They play anyway and you get left behind.

So quit being gay and download it.

>They play anyway and you get left behind.
Imagine being this unimportant

get it and hide your power level

we're not a botnet you dumb cuck

- discord developer

Just tell them you're morally opposed to the way Internet communication is becoming controlled by a few for-profit companies with their walled gardens whose real clients aren't the users but the advertisers.

>thinking youre this important

>not understanding sarcasm
u stupid

i cant get enough of kiddos on Jow Forums thinking that their worthless existence in data form is somehow worth something.

discord isnt selling your data, not only because they don't want to, but because they can't, because it's literally not worth shit to anyone, just like you are, OP.

>hey user please leave teamspeak and switch to our bullshit """app""" of the week
>no
>okay
wow that was hard

>tor and vpn
>If I use 2 condoms, I am more safe

kek

Spam CP/Gore in the chat for days until they apologise for creeping on your chat.

How hard is it to use a vpn on a browser that isnt loaded with addons etc making it fingerprintable

Set up a bridge between discord and your home IRC or Matrix server on some VPS.
github.com/Half-Shot/matrix-appservice-discord
That way your (((friends))) can rot on discord while you stick to proper communication channels.

Attached: 145206033855.png (595x733, 250K)

Your voice and text data is still being hoarded. You'd be better off using a layer of voice encryption over discord, if this is even possible. This way anyone who isn't using the same key wouldn't hear shit.

>discord
>voice

If you use some shady third party service your data will always be hoarded, there are no real ways around it.
By using bridge at least you are slightly less reliant on that shitty service.

What else are you using it for? It's basically useless for anything else.

Hoarding encrypted data is far less harmful.

It's yahoo chat for gaming millennial boomers.

>Hoarding encrypted data is far less harmful.
And how do you intend to force your discord using friends to use encryption?
Lets be real here.

you know you can just request your data from discord and they'll give u back all the data they have on u.

support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004027692-Requesting-a-Copy-of-your-Data

How are they going to force you to use discord? You seriously can't say "let's use mumble for voice"?

They won't give you voice data which they specifically say they store. Plus they use a shit format for viewing this data, they should be sued.

Voice is 90% what i use discord for

What voice encryption you recommend?

Dont believe corporations are honest for a second.

>What voice encryption you recommend?
I recommend not using discord in the first place.
Mumble automatically encrypts voice and text.

>i won't use discord because i care about privacy
so hard mang

Attached: 7af04645.png (720x644, 31K)

>My furry larps are valuable to a corporation
Imagine being this delusional.

Normies think privacy is for loons.

Ty ill use this. Im not so concerned with discord looking at what im doing. I only have yootube music videos in the background. I just dont want them to know what i say because i say weird autism stuff and rather not have it in a data base

>They won't give you voice data which they specifically say they store.

you think discord stores voice data? where do they say that? from their recent announcement, they do at least 10-15 GB of voice traffic a second. That's incredibly expensive and an impressive engineering feat if true.

>Plus they use a shit format for viewing this data, they should be sued.

you mean json and csv????? the two basically universal data serialization formats.

>Normies think privacy is for loons.
and yet they'll say 'no' when you ask if you could post their face and address and contact info on the innernette like they were pedos or terrorists or something else sinister

Attached: 1489643422787.jpg (325x262, 15K)

honestly the notion that discord is storing voice data is ludicrous.

Assuming an average ingress rate of 12.5GB/sec, that'd be roughly ~$650k/month in storage costs alone on GCS/S3, which would grow each month.

And that compounds each month, if you want to continue to keep last month's storage.

So, in Jan, the bill would be $650k, in Feb, it'd be 1.3m, in Mar it'd be 2m...

You really think your voice data is worth 2 million dollars to anyone - on an app that doesn't even show adverts?

Suppose they wanted to process it to extract speech, can you imagine the amount of computational power to process 1,677,721,600 seconds of audio every second (that's 12.5GB of audio at 64kbps)?

Let's say they use Google's Speech Recognition API... that's $671,087.18 spent every second to try to parse speech out of the audio data. Suppose they did that 24/7 for a month... that'd be $1,739,457,970,560 worth of computation. That's roughly the combined value of Apple + Google combined.

>having friends

Attached: download (2).jpg (200x225, 13K)

Tell them to fuck off.

why do you ask questions with such obvious answers? you very well know not to use it [the application] and at most use discordapp.com/ instead posting little to nothing and never using your mic

is this a stealthy discord ad thread?

did an oopsie, it's $1.2b every month to process the voice data.

no one is going to spend 1.2b to do that.

>universal data serialization formats.
Nobody cares, it should be readable out of the box. Google and Facebook did it right. You have to install a fucking obscure addon for thunderbird in order to read this discord trash.

>where do they say that?
Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.
>transient VOIP data
>collect
If they collect this, it's not transient. If they don't, then it wouldn't be under "what we collect".

>doesn't even show adverts?
They don't have to show ads to sell your information to ad companies.
>notion that discord is storing voice data is ludicrous.
Yes, but they worded it so that it's possible. They don't have to collect every single voice activity, nor do they have to convert it all immediately.
Out of curiosity, where did you get 1,677,721,600? Are these users using VoIP?

Whoa, now. Can somebody explain to me how Discord is a botnet? This is news to me.

>Nobody cares, it should be readable out of the box. Google and Facebook did it right. You have to install a fucking obscure addon for thunderbird in order to read this discord trash.

it is readable out of the box. its json and csv. you can open any of those with excel.

>Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.

You cannot read "transient" and "to enable communication delivery only". They are literally saying they are only using your voice data to deliver it to the person on the other end. Are you autistic?

>They don't have to show ads to sell your information to ad companies.

From the same page you quoted earlier...

>The Company is not in the business of selling your information. We consider this information to be a vital part of our relationship with you.

>Yes, but they worded it so that it's possible. They don't have to collect every single voice activity, nor do they have to convert it all immediately.
Out of curiosity, where did you get 1,677,721,600? Are these users using VoIP?

I did a bit of a math fuck-up, but supposing they do 12.5GB of audio ingress a second, that's 1,638,400 seconds of audio data sent to discord every second at the average bitrate of 64kbps.

As for how I got 12.5GB/sec, it's not too hard.

In their 2 year anniversary post, they announced 11m users and doing 4PB of voice data every month.

They're now at 130M users. We can assume that the # of users they get, will increase the volume of traffic they get.

(130/11)*4 = 47.27 PB of data each month.

In order to transfer 47.27 PB of data, you'd have to sustain ~135gbps or 16.8 GB per sec.

I rounded down to 12.5 just to be safe.

it's better to just use pidgin, there's a plugin
you'll have to use firejail if you want to upload things directly though

3rd party proprietary freeware, what do you think?
they also openly collect your data, check their website and the privacy options on your account
duh

the cuckold mindset

they're not talking to you through discord when telling you to use discord
that form of communication is sufficient enough, you don't need another channel

No, I mean, where did you get the number of users using VoIP each second? You can't assume all logged in users are currently speaking.
>to enable communication delivery only
This doesn't change the fact that they "collect" VoIP data.
>not in the business of selling your information
They can trade it or give it.
>not in the business of selling
Sure, they're in the business of delivering a social networking service. This doesn't mean they can't sell your information. They state they give your information to partners and ad companies.

>11m users and doing 4PB of voice data every month.
This is impossible. This would mean that a single user is transmitting voice over 12h per day. So all of your results are false. An average user isn't even using VoIP every day, nor are users active 24/7. So you can't do this
>(130/11)*4 = 47.27
Even if it used to be correct, I can assure you that a large number of new users aren't even using discord for voice at all.

>Sure, they're in the business of delivering a social networking service. This doesn't mean they can't sell your information. They state they give your information to partners and ad companies.

no they don't. you are pulling this right out of your ass.

>This is impossible. This would mean that a single user is transmitting voice over 12h per day. So all of your results are false. An average user isn't even using VoIP every day, nor are users active 24/7. So you can't do this

yet again, you can't math. 4PB of audio data transmitted every month at 64kbps implies an average of 211k concurrent audio streams, or 2% of their users on voice at any given time.

It's really not hard math...

4PB = 4,398,046,511,104 KB.

Convert that to KB/s...

4,398,046,511,104/30/24/60/60 = 1,696,777KB/s

Convert that to how many seconds of audio streams @ 64kbps (or 8KB/s)

1,696,777/8 = 212,097 seconds of audio every second.

Implying you're transmitting or receiving voice when you're on a call, that's 212k concurrent voice streams.

Assuming you have 11m users, and 212k of them are on voice, that's:

(212,097/11e6)*100 = 1.93%

But alas, not all of us went to middle school to learn basic division and multiplication, let alone basic English comprehension when it comes to reading a company's privacy policy.

Is it that far out of the question for a VOIP service to have 1.93% of their users on voice at any given time? No... not really.

>yet again
When did I "fail to math" before?
But you're right, I converted PB to B instead of KB. Which is why I messed up later.

>But alas, not all of us went to middle school to learn basic division and multiplication, let alone basic English comprehension when it comes to reading a company's privacy policy
>resorting to ad hominem
So you're out of any arguments against them possibly storing your voice data? Good, kill yourself discord shill.
>I can use a calculator so I'm good at maths
Imagine being this retarded.

use pidgin

I straight up told my friend that I dont want to use it. We still can talk on teamspeak or steamchat especially because it now supports discord tier autism.
If your friend won't accept the fact you won't then that's that, look for other friends or kys.

Ad hominem is a big word to use when you can't properly understand how privacy policies and the US legal system works.

>So you're out of any arguments against them possibly storing your voice data?

I've literally proven to you, using SIMPLE maths that them storing and processing voice data would be prohibitively expensive.

You assert that "they must be storing my voice data."

I tell you based on publicly available data how much audio traffic they were doing a year ago, and interpolate that given their growth to what they're probably doing today.

I then provide how much it would cost to store that data on a cloud storage service like GCS and hold onto it for 30 days.

I then show you how much money it'd take - using a cloud speech recognition service - to transcribe that audio to text, so that it can be further processed by a computer to target adverts, etc...

In doing so, I've proven that it would cost roughly a billion dollars a month to do so.

The company has only raised 100 million dollars, and has been in operation for 3 years now.

Based off these estimations, it'd be HIGHLY UNLIKELY that they're storing your voice data - in addition to the fact that in their privacy policy, they literally say they only collect the data for the express purpose of delivering it to the person you're speaking to, and that the data is "transient."

I'm not shilling anyone here. I'm just looking at facts, doing some napkin math, and realizing the conspiracy you're describing to be impossible given how cost prohibitive it is.

Should I ask for dick pics somebody who says they got nothing to hide every time they try to pull this bullshit argument?

>no they don't. you are pulling this right out of your ass.
Fucking hell you're retarded, there are literally multiple lines where this is implied... here's everything related to this and them retaining data from their privacy policy.

We may store such information or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by affiliates, agents or service providers

The Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates (the “Related Companies”) may also use your information collected through the Services to help us improve the content and functionality of the Services, to better understand our users and to improve the Services. The Company and its affiliates may use this information to contact you in the future to tell you about services we believe will be of interest to you.

Business Transfers: As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or similar event, your information may be part of the transferred assets.

Related Companies: We may also share your information with our Related Companies for purposes consistent with this Privacy Policy.

Aggregated or Non-identifiable Data: We may also share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information with our partners or others for business purposes.

You may provide us with ideas for new products or modifications to existing products, and other unsolicited submissions (collectively, “Unsolicited Information”). All Unsolicited Information shall be deemed to be non-confidential and we shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose, and distribute such Unsolicited Information to others without limitation or attribution.

We generally retain personal data for so long as it may be relevant to the purposes identified herein. To dispose of personal data, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps.
Data may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.

>EU users
They may also object to our uses or disclosures of personal data, to request a restriction on its processing, or withdraw any consent, though such actions typically will not have retroactive effect. They also will NOT affect our ability to continue processing data in lawful ways.

>I've literally proven to you
>using maths
No, you just proved that if they were storing everything they'd need a ton of storage. You haven't and cannot prove that they don't store at least some voice data or that they don't transfer voice data to other companies for processing.

>HIGHLY UNLIKELY
This does not equate to "not at all".

Lynch yourself, CIA nigger.

I've outlined the cost of how much money it'd take to store or process the data. Whether Discord does it, or another third party company does it, compute and storage isn't free.

More likely they're collecting 3 things (which are 3 things that I would collect if I was running a voip service).

a) Metadata around the call (who you're talking to, how long the call was, etc...). This is pretty standard, and just about every telecom provider does it.
b) Metadata around the quality of the call - ping / packet loss / dropped calls / etc... - also pretty standard, and every VOIP provider collects the roughly the same, to understand the health of their service.
c) Aggregate traffic stats across their network per region. You need this information to plan capacity, and to purchase the hardware required to run the service.

That's probably what they're doing, because it makes the most sense. Generally the simplest answer to a question is the right answer.

I'm confused by this one.

>You may provide us with ideas for new products or modifications to existing products, and other unsolicited submissions (collectively, “Unsolicited Information”). All Unsolicited Information shall be deemed to be non-confidential and we shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose, and distribute such Unsolicited Information to others without limitation or attribution.

This is literally saying if you give the company a big idea of a way to improve their product or build a new product, you can't sue them if they decide to use your idea. This is actually pretty standard verbiage to prevent from a wide range of law-suits.

>We generally retain personal data for so long as it may be relevant to the purposes identified herein. To dispose of personal data, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps.

This, alone, does not say much, aside from how they retain and dispose of data.

>Data may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.

So they keep backups incase their database has a critical issue and they need to restore? This is not controversy - and very standard practice. You keep backups of your computers, why shouldn't Discord keep backups of their computers?

>They may also object to our uses or disclosures of personal data, to request a restriction on its processing,..

"They" in this sentence is people in the european union. Discord are enumerating the rights of people in the EU: "object to our uses or disclosures of personal data, to request a restriction on its processing, or withdraw any consent." Saying they can't go back in time to un-process data that is already processed "though such actions typically will not have retroactive effect.". And that they will continue to use the data in a lawful way as per GDPR.

>r*ddt spacing

forgive us for having so little faith

Attached: Screenshot_20180731_105712.png (1401x447, 63K)

This post is equally as dumb, and you don't understand how privacy policies work (to no one's surprise).

>We may store...

Discord uses cloud infrastructure and other services from third party vendors to bring their service to you. For example, Discord uses Google Cloud Platform for compute, and it's where all their databases are located.

All this line of the privacy policy is stating is that they use a hosting service (GCP) to store data.

>The Company and its subsidiaries and ... Services.

So they use the data you provide them to better understand their users and how they use their service? Again, not crazy. In order to inform product decisions, it's imperative to understand how users use your product. That way you can continue to iterate on and build your product in ways that align with your userbase.

>The Company ... will be of interest to

This is the only thing that remotely resembles advertisements... but even then... this could be interpreted as literally showing you a change-log when they update the app, to targeting new features at you.... e.g. you use voice a lot, we launched a new voice feature, you might be interested...

>Business Transfers...
This is literally stating the obvious. If Discord is bought by another company, they own Discord now, and thus, they own the databases that Discord has containing the data you've provided them, e.g. your text messages.

>Related Companies: We may also share your information with our Related Companies for purposes consistent with this Privacy Policy.

"Related Companies" is explained above, which is literally the companies subsidiaries and affiliates. Which is people discord does business with in order to bring you the service, per the privacy policy.

>Aggregated...

At that point, the data is not your data. If it's provided in aggregate, or not personally identifiable, it can't really be used to advertise to you, and is just there for BI purposes.

It wouldn't stop discord from collecting data about your account, though, no? Only about your machine and physical location
>t. Bitlbee user

>The class action suit was later voluntarily dismissed...

If those claims were legit, why was the suit dismissed? Someone claimed that open-feint was doing shady shit, and then dismissed the case before it was brought to trial because it was bullshit and they knew they were gonna lose.

Does it hurt to try so hard to manufacture facts?

imagine having a go at someone for using reddit spacing and then you go ahead and phonepost

lmao @ u

Holyfuck could you change your formatting? Its legitimately annoying to read.

Im clearly not fucking phoneposting.
>pleb cant recognize gnu+linux screenshots

Have you ever tried suing a large international corporation?
There are a number of reasons they would drop the case.

Nevertheless, would you rather use a platform with unknown repercussions or a FOSS, decentralized alternative?
The choice is really that easy.

I'll use what my friends are on, because, I realize that:

a) My shitposts to my friends when we're playing games really have no commercial value to anyone.
b) A free product that is easy to use and works for everyone is way better than some bespoke FOSS/Decentralized alternative.

just admit you're a paranoid retard, your friend can move on, he probably deserves better

Its only popular because they:
1. Shilled to your bugmen friends on r*ddit
2. Operated at a HUGE loss for years

I think you're a smart guy, you know where this story goes.

You don't belong here. This board deserves better.

mumble ftw

Mumble genuinely has a better voice quality. And it also isn't as bloated and heavy. The only issue is that it does absolutely nothing to reduce the buzzing of shit microphones.

How much of a beta are you? And not everybody uses Discord, not even close. tl;dr get better friends which are not underage.
literally this

Make a burner email and buy a burner Windows Phone then connect to 10 VPNS and install Discord.

the owner wants to sell data and has done this before (source: OpenFeint).
also, the datamining botnet see value in that data. it describes a potential advertisement target perfectly on a personal level.

>r*ddt spacing

>t. unemployed user that isn't used to using markdown as his primary documentation language

pathetic

>The only issue is that it does absolutely nothing to reduce the buzzing of shit microphones.
Mumble does have noise suppression in the input settings.

Doesn't seem to help for an idiot I have in the chat. It just highly reduces his volume.