Cant believe something this powerful can be had for 130 bucks

cant believe something this powerful can be had for 130 bucks.

Attached: thinkpad_t420.jpg (1280x1280, 473K)

Other urls found in this thread:

duetdisplay.com
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T540p
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W530
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>FN key where the CTRL key should be
>No numpad
>Outdated hardware
Literal garbage.

>no numpad

/stop reading

I know, right? I'd pay no more than $70 for it.

have one, ordered for 150 euros (incl shipping)

that TFT panel feels like someone sprayed acetone on it (or i've forgotten how shitty LCDs were decade ago). decent resolution tho.

Numpad is extremely fast and useful to most people who work with number (almost everyone).
It's a good point he has.

Fn+ScrLk enables part of the keyboard to convert into a numpad

Numpad is harmfull for ergonomics and should not be a thing.

I agree with the fn key... gets me every time.
They’re really great laptops and if the hardware is outdated on yours you can just upgrade the parts.

FN / Ctrl can be swapped in bios

Who does that? It sounds cumbersome

>T. owns a 410 with the same style kb

Learn to use numlock, retard.

fuck you americans and your cheap tech

>used

i’m in the UK and I managed to get it just as cheap

No you don't because you already swapped them

if only it had a better screen but im happy with it.

>>FN key where the CTRL key should be
This was a huge problem for me.

Do the newer (T450+) support GPU through USB?

Order from the UK nigger. I got an x230t for 125€ and a mint as fuck x230 for 130€ there.

>130
got ripped off

>FN key where the CTRL key should be
you can a) swap it in the BIOS or b) not be braindead and get used to it.

>No numpad
eh, most laptops today don't have it. Ironically the most common ones that still have it are memepads, the P series.

>Outdated hardware
2nd gen i5s/i7s are still matching the latest i5s/i7s, thanks to Intel's incompetence. Also if you want the latest hardware you can just get a new memepad.

Hope this helps user

I got my T410 for $100, but ended up spending probably another $150 on upgrading RAM, dock, 1 TB hard drive, ultrabay, i7 CPU, and replacement keyboard. Probably could have got a newer one or one with better specs, but I had this computer for probably 3 years now, so it served me well.

Attached: IMG_20180730_225050.jpg (1836x2189, 556K)

> I agree with the fn key... gets me every time.
Change it in BIOS.

it bothers me that 15"+ screens are forced to have numpads.

Still wanna know about this. Want to use my iPad as a 2nd screen on the go.

I'm going to sell my monster for 1500 dollars on ebay
x220 i7 2 gen 16 GB ram 256 SSD corebooted and respects freedom.

nobody is buying that for 1500 lad, maybe 500 at most

So you speak for most people? Because I work with numbers and never use the numpad. I'm people. I just use the num lock.

>maybe 500 at most
Why? it is top tier linux laptop. You can install every gnu/linux on it and there is no blobs/botnets.

I just found something similar to yours for $370. Good luck getting mac book prices on a ThinkPad that's years old. Modding it doesn't matter. Think of the typical ThinkPad owner. They are smarter than that.

outdated cpu/gpu, and the upgrades dont add up to 1500
whats stopping the buyer from getting a $100 one at ebay and popping in a ssd and a couple ram sticks
and i grant you anyone who carres enough about freedomz to want a corebooted laptop would rather do it himself than paying a $1000 retard fee

>boomers

>numpad
>doesn't map caps to ctrl
go away man

accept core i7
SATA3
16GB of RAM
USB3

This will stay relevant for 5 to 7 years
CTRL is perfectly positioned, you don't need to stretch your pinky, just curl it, it's awsome

>paying for a computer
>not stealing one from bestbuy
Capitalist bastards, man.

Attached: edgy racebait.jpg (597x747, 49K)

How can I get that laptop, with that form factor, to the closest it can be to modern performance?

Ahahahahaaaaa wtf.

>selling a 100$ laptop for 1500$

????????

i still cant believe how people can use this piece of shit on a daily basis

i bought one a few years ago, and stopped using it after 10 minutes because of the garbage lcd screen, its just painful to look at it

I second this question

Also... should I upgrade to a T450 from a T410?

I've got a t430. Put 8gb of ram in it, an ssd for the OS and i replaced the dvd drive with a second hdd bay and have a 1tb drive there. The only thing about the laptop that sucks is the screen, but I use it in docked mode 90% of the time, so it's like the screen is a bonus for when I need to take it with me.

I remember having one of those, heavy as fuck

the you get one with a IPS panel you genious

At least a T460. To be fair all i5/i7s (except for the latest gen) perform almost the same, but GPUs are the breaking point. Intel graphics usually improve performance a big deal with each gen. The T460 has the first decent IGP intel ever made (HD 520). Don't get me wrong, it's shit, but still way better than the IGPs found in the xx10/20/30 lappies.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1476x1200, 258K)

I got a T530 in mint condition with core i7 and a 1080p display for an equivalent of $200.

Get a T430, install xx20 keyboard in it, and coreboot it so you can put a quad core in it.

>This will stay relevant for 5 to 7 years
Are you serious

A large chunk of anons here modded it with 1080p IPS displays.

not him, but I don't see why it wouldn't be relevant in 5-7 years unless you plan to encode videos or shit on a laptop.

I've got a t420 with i7, SSD, 16gb ram, swapped in alienware screen panel. Does me just fine.

Thinkpads are for getting Jow Forums and /lit/

I guess I ended up paying a bit too much at $160 but I needed a laptop for a trip I’m on right now and that was the cheapest I could find one with 8 gigs of ram. I like it though, runs everything I need pretty well, gotta swap that disk drive for an ssd at some point though.

If your thinkpad has an onboard nvidia gpu, then you already have decent graphics to play most low end games on windows. I won't totally recommend wine/gnu/linux, but I have ran VNs, Touhou, and other less graphics intensive games. Any other games, I would recommend a egpu.

Yeah, the T430 can come with a GeForce 630 that will more or less run everything.

Thnx bb

Also... what’s this about corebooting to run a quad core?

I got a x270 i5 3 months ago, it's a beast
shame about not having coreboot..

this man dirty

why? explain

>buying any thinkpad after the x230

Attached: 1519472011844.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

I have a T530 with a core i7 and a 1GB Nvidia NVS 5400m (about 10% better than the geforce 630) and no, it sucks. It can barely handle Starcraft II on medium-to-high settings. Even while being this shitty it fucken obliterates the HD3000/4000, just imagine how bad they are.

The HD 520 is better than the xx20/30 dedicated chips; not by much, but better. It matches a geforce 730m. On the other hand, the geforce 940m will destroy al of them, and the T550 comes with it. It's the only memepad that would make me ditch the T530: Fat, comes with a way better GPU, a 3k IPS display and a full keyboard. Hard not lo like.

Attached: ThinkPad-T550-3.jpg (1280x876, 177K)

I said low end gaming, basically shit thats already optimized for weak hardware, or from before 2010. I already had a tough time getting blizzard games to run on my shit R7 290 desktop before I upgraded to a RX 480, so I don't even think to install those games on my thinkpad.

>HD3000/4000, just imagine how bad they are.
I have a T530 without the dGPU. Intel iGPUs are perfectly fine for web browsing, 1440p 60fps Youtube and 1080p 10-bit vietnamese cartoons, and basically any visual novel. Plenty enough for me. For gaming I have my PC.

numpads are useless garbage dumb data entry monkey
>not swapping ctrl and caps lock
kys

leave us alone tyrone

Was thinking about getting a W540 and upgrading the screen down the line to the 3k model.

I agree with you there family, and it looks like my original point was forgotten between the details: the only reason to get anything above the xx10/20 gen is the GPU. If you don't care about vidya you don't need to look any further.

Also why the fug would you get the t530 if it's not because of the dGPU. It's heavy, plasticky when compared to the T430, and the screen is only an inch bigger. EXPLAIN.

nigga the intel HD chips on the xx20/30 lappies are god awful, they stutter/screentear with the most basic shit. For "low end gaming" you need at least a HD 5500 (t450) and it will suck anyway.

not a bad idea as long as it comes with:
-extra soldered RAM or 2 slots
-dGPU

And as long as it's compatible with that display upgrade. Also you may want to change the shitty touchpad.

duetdisplay.com

It comes with the K1100M dGPU, 8GB of RAM. HDD is mechanical though, that would want replacing.

>all the replies bashing numpads
Sure is summer.

>HDD is mechanical though, that would want replacing.
yep, 240GB crucial bx and chinkton are the way to go if you want something fast and cheap.

I got a Thinkpad X201. First laptop in almost 7 years. Didn't want anything big. Only ran $100.
The thing has a fucking LIGHT SWITCH FOR YOUR KEYBOARD. Not a backlit keyboard, but an actual goddamn LED near the webcam pointed down you can turn on and off at will.
Coolest shit.

The ultrabase dock was $15 because I wanted sound/vid-out since it didn't come with HDMI-out. I didn't look all that much but it even adds a DVD-RW drive, didn't know that. AND the fucker can charge an additional battery at the same time. THAT'S cool.

Attached: 71HXXN7mjkL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1220, 142K)

...I'd be surprised if you can even get $300 for an x220. Are you delusional?

the fact that you're impressed by the thinklight just screams zoomer, but you're a zoomer with good taste. Memepads had that since the 90s and all the way up to the xx30 gen btw.

The x201 is the most comfy small memepad ever. Too bad the screen sucks.

Have T420 with i7, 8GB RAM, SSD, 1600x900 lenovo screen, nvidia graphics.

You guys actually think this runs well? Even gentoo lags on it lol.

Try removing the bloatware.

clean minimal install of everything lags

What thinkpad can get a nvidia? I want one with a 1gb card at least to run solidworks on

So, I checked out reviews, and ended up going for a T540P instead.

Paid £299.99. Comes with an i7 (2.8GHz, so I would guess the i7 4810HQ?) and an SSD. Doesn't say which screen unfortunately.

If it's FHD, I might leave it as is. If it's anything less, I might get the 3k display.

Let me guess. Gnome? KDE? I have an even shittier laptop and it runs smooth as butter with openbox.

good choice nigga. Look into the touchpad thing.

nigga I have a x201 and it runs fucken elementeray lag free, you're either full of shit of have some component bottlenecking.

Will do boss.

I looked up Lenovo's website, and it doesn't look like the T540P comes with the 4810HQ. Apparently the 4900MQ is 2.8GHz stock, but I'd be surprised if I got that for £300.

It'll need more RAM. Only got 4GB.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T540p

>need a laptop for upcoming trade apprenticeship (blue collar trade; not tech/programming)
>told I will need a laptop for homework assignments (am assuming nothing extremely powerful will be needed)
>budget of ~$200-400
Here's my question/dilemma: I don't really NEED something more powerful than an x220-30, but seeing some of the posts ITT has me tempted to check out a T4xx laptop. I don't really play video games much, but I do enjoy emulating some PSX & PS2 games on my desktop. Basically I'm wondering if the extra weight is worth "upgrading" from buying an x230 to buying a t-series.

>tl;dr: would it be at all possible to emulate some PS2 games on a t450 or should I just not even bother

It's the only one listed as 2.8GHz. Weird. I'll have to report back when I get it.

well if you plan to use it in public then definitely go for a nu-memepad, it will make you look like a student instead of a terrorist. Just make sure you get something capable of dual-channel ram, if not you may end up with something actually slower than the x230.

>tl;dr: would it be at all possible to emulate some PS2 games on a t450 or should I just not even bother
You should be able, but you should get the most powerful cpu/gpu combo you can afford just to be sure.

Just so you're aware, PSX emulation is very light. Even with stuff like Pete's OpenGL plugin, with all the bells and whistles, even HD4000 should handle it fine.

PS2 emulation only gets heavy when you ramp the settings up. Surprisingly, in software mode, PS2 emulation will even work on dual core Macbooks.

>Just make sure you get something capable of dual-channel ram, if not you may end up with something actually slower than the x230.
Which t-series notebooks have this feature?

Is "Software mode" more CPU intensive than GPU intensive?

Software mode is much more CPU intensive. Even then, running hardware accelerated at native resolutions will be fine on a HD4000. So, as long as you're not trying to play a notoriously broken title like Ratchet and Clank, or trying to jack the scaling up, you'll be ok.

I'm pretty much only playing Need For Speed Underground 2, maybe Gran Turismo 4. Would I still be ok with Integrated Graphics?

What's the best 15+ inch thinkpad that still has the classic design? I'm thinking of getting one buy I dont want any of the new ones as lenovo completely sodomised and ruined ibm's concept.

>Which t-series notebooks have this feature?
It depends on the specific model. Clue: (some) nu-memepad models (usually the "s" variants) come with a single RAM slot so you're screwed unless they come with additional soldered RAM (usually 4gb).

w530

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:W530

Should be. NFS will likely be fine (has a PC version IIRC), dunno about GT4.

Thank a lot. I'll probably end up buying this or something similar.

Why do you people use this? And how powerful could this thing be anyways?

E.Z. to open up & replace/upgrade hardware. Takes to Linux distros well.

1, I guess that's useful but you could just not be a dips shit with your machine, or I guess just get a case.
2, I think most modern laptops can take Linux distros well, so.

Because for a reasonable quality machine new you're looking at $800+, or you can spend 1/2 or less on a used Thinkpad.