How's Ubuntu 18.04? Worse than Debian?

I've just upgraded from 16.04, and I'm wondering what I've got myself in to. Now that Unity's gone, I'm seriously wondering why I shouldn't just use Debian instead. Am I missing something?

Attached: Ubuntu.png (750x375, 108K)

What are you looking for? Desktops you can change easily from gnome to kde, i3, xfce, even unity. You can even change icon themes, window themes, color schemes. What are you looking for?

Package management is stable in Debian, fedora. I personally use Arch linux.

I don't know what I'm looking for, other than a reason to use one of Ubuntu or Debian but not the other.

Downgrade. I'm sticking with 16.04 for a while longer myself after trying 18.04 in a VM.

Use Slackware.

Ubuntu is botnet
Debian is not
There you go.

What's wrong with 18.04?

Gnome

>Ubuntu is botnet
Source?

Try xubuntu 18.04 I haven't been bothered too though myself as I use xubuntu 16.04

>using ubuntu
>being a normie linux user
>not using a obscure distro

Attached: eQ20E.jpg (384x313, 82K)

Ubuntu 18.4 is rock solid I've been using it for a month now and my god it's been amazing, solid and absolutely no crashes

**an**

Computer info gets sent back to their servers. They claim its to fix bugs but Ubuntu it obviously isn't helping. Then again any distro with system d is backdoored

What's wrong with GNOME? Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, it's great.

In my defence, I only chose Ubuntu because my Windows 10 machine killed its own boot sector and Ubuntu was the only Live CD that I had handy.

Isn't that optional?

It is. You have to opt in when you install it. Data is only sent to Canonical if you opt in.

Ubuntu is fine, but I prefer Fedora since, like it or not, Red Hat basically IS Linux at this point.

>I'm wondering what I've got myself in to.
Less hardware architecture support.

2017 was the year of the Linux desktop. Move on.

>Fedora
Do tell? I've never even tried it.

While this is true and it is quite stable, GNOME is still absolute shit. Also tried Mate 18.04 which is one buggy piece of shit, even more than Kubuntu. Xubuntu is pretty solid and probably the best choice out of all the 18.04 *buntu flavors.

My advice: Fuck this shit and wait for KDE Neon based on 18.04 which will come out any day now or just ditch the Canconical crapfest for Debian and live happily ever after...

Fedora and Ubuntu kind of hit different targets, and both are great in their own ways.

Fedora has to be upgraded every 6 months, has up-to-date software repos, and uses wayland by default. Supposedly it has the best Gnome integration if you like Gnome, but Ubuntu's version seemed just as fine.

Ubuntu has better driver support, which may make a different with things like video cards. If you're not a developer and don't care about latest, greatest, etc., Ubuntu is fine.

I use Fedora because It's Red Hat's test bed for what other distros will adopt eventually.

What about Debian package use data mining shit?

Eh?

Seriously, what's wrong with GNOME? Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, it's great.

>*buntu flavours
Why not just use Debian?

>Seriously, what's wrong with GNOME? Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, it's great.

tell it to handle panel integration well first then we can talk. it feels like plastic whenever i use it, like something artificial and flat i dont know why. unity never fucks up with integrations and window movements too.
unity shortcuts are way faster compared to gnome shortcuts. what are you smoking?

>unity shortcuts are way faster compared to gnome shortcuts
No way.Gnome shortcuts are superior.I've been using Unity since it came out and I too thought it was superior, it's not.

just avoid the panel of ubuntu and install the vanilla gnome experience.

So it's nothing?

Any recommended shortcuts for a new user?

There is literally gnothing wrong with GNOME except for some autistic complaints about thumbnails in a filepicker and the foot logo.

Use Openbox. I ditched Gnome after I memorized the keyboard shortcuts and set up the keybinds for volume control.

>Openbox
Never heard of it.

It's a Window Manger used in LXDE.

Attached: 2010-04-24-133031 1280x800 scrot.png (1280x800, 83K)

>HTPC/home server is stuck on 14.04 because it's an appliance and upgrading/reconfiguring everything is a major pain in the ass
fuck

Attached: pizza.jpg (550x550, 71K)

i like ubuntu mate

Why?

mate best DE and i want the most compatible distro that just works for development on my desktop

Debian is good but you will have a problem with it. You will want a more up to date software (specially the kernel) if you are using a laptop. If you need a specific tool for work you will need to compile it from source because Debian STABLE has ancient packages (it works better with servers).

Then, if you need more up to date software you will have to go Testing or Unstable and both have a lot of pros and cons that you will have to suck it up if you want to use them.

Fedora is the most "stable" distro, cutting edge software and kernels but the repos are small (compared to Debian). You will have to compile from source things that you don't find in the official repos and you need RPMfusion if you want hear music.

Ubuntu is kind of middle ground but its performance is bad if you have tried nonBuntu distros before.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and Alt-Printscreen-B are my favourites.

i'm using it, the new minimal option really is neat. slightly different than the netinstall + installing the DE later, as it does the DE install first and then removes some clutter you may not need.
have an older 16.04 server i will be updating sometime soon.

Kidbuntu and Outdatedbian both suck. I use Arch btw.

Debian is SJW trash.

>i use rach linixs btw

great if you like orange

It’s basically the same as 16.04 but wants you to install updates after shut down like windows.

So are all distros of debian

Ubuntu is based off Debian.

How?

The pre-configured DE in any distribution doesn't really matter unless you're doing deployment on multiple systems.

>Worse than Debian
that's impossible