Tell me everything wrong with this OS

Tell me everything wrong with this OS.

Attached: opensuse.png (1200x760, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no hackerman credit if you use it

microsoft's interest in it

oh that's alright, I'm thinking for my desktop. I have my laptop for the hours of wasted time ricing dark themes with green text on meme distros.

tumbleweed can be bitchy with networks from time to time, at least on my x220. you should now how to filesystem. other than that it's a great distro.

Could you elaborate on the filesystem thing?

Need to look for shady broken "1-click installers" on the interwebs just to watch media.

you mean this?
opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

No codecs. No font rendering.

Yep, looks similar to what I found.
The "installer" gave a bunch of errors too.

Fuck that distro. it's like I'm back to Windows XP.

Looks like you can just add some repos and download the packages. Doesn't look that hard.

KDE is pretty wrong with it

>its package manager
>'customization' (you could get true customization with linux from scratch)
>shitty default aesthetic
>install times are too long
Many things.

>Looks like you can just add some repos and download the packages
Think I tried that the first time. Didn't work. Maybe documentation is just shit, though.

What's wrong with it's package manager?

For real? I figured as KDE is default it'd work pretty well - one thing I don't like about Debian right now is how unstable KDE can be with it.

Proprietary software.

They couldn't have just used apt?

not sure what he meant by that, but I know that OpenSUSE defaults to btrfs for either the home or root partitions, or both. It's been a while since I used it

For a rpm based distro? No, I don't think so.

>apt
It's THE worst.

Just use Slackware.

No thanks, I like dependency resolution.

>Just use Slackware.
Ok, you get me, one PM is even worse than APT. Doesn't make the latter any good, though.

if you really tried that you'd have working codecs you dunce

Linux From Scratch then. Never use systemd.

>Linux From Scratch then
Nah, I like my Void.
Would use Gentoo, but slow OpenRC and old LaTeX

Void is good.
I mean, it has empty repositories, but it's good (for the most part).

>I mean, it has empty repositories
Just slightly smaller (~100 packages) than Arch while having actually useful software (Firefox-ESR, Rstudio and so on).

after upgrading 42 to 15, I had to change opensuse to manjaro. opensuse repos has stripped ffmpeg with no mpeg,avc,hevc,aac support so pretty much nothing plays. packman has full ffmpeg but its old 3.x version so it is not used because every program is linked against 4.x version.

I just tried out openPEPE for the first time, I've been a linux/openbsd user since 2005, with my main distros being debian and arch
First off:
>installer is fantastic. Has the option for an express, press enter to installer mode, plus an expert mode
>super easy to set up a proper encrypted LVM, compared to Ubuntu's shitty installer and debian's kinda hard to use one
>can pick and choose exactly what to install in the installer, only the fedora installer can really compare in this regard
>after setting up your partitions and choosing what to install, it's smooth sailing from there, no need to setup stupid shit like microcode updates
then:
>repos are fully fledged, and there's that packman repo with extra stuff
>one click install is pretty cool
>zypper is easy to use and fast
>I haven't had to compile a single thing, compared to needing to compile 5-10 programs in debian/needing the AUR in arch
>the KDE experience is pretty polished, haven't had any breakages or bugs
>drivers for everything I need are in the repos
The bad:
>needed to use packman to get the gstreamer packages for mpv to work
>the installer set EVERYTHING up, so it took longer than I was used to with arch and debian
>for some reason the default visudo config has you use the root password, I had to change that
>default wallpaper is apparently schematics for a fucking german toilet. why.

Overall 9/10 desktop distro. Doesn't need any tinkering which is cool and I was able to get all muh lonix gaymer stuff setup in minutes.
I probably wouldn't use it on muh minimal meme laptops but I think I've found my new go to distro for desktops.
Better than fedora by far.

Keep in mind this is all for leap 15, I haven't tried tumbleweed as I heard that was hopelessly broken.

Attached: 1491970582823.png (1732x1442, 314K)

pacman

You're listing pretty much everything that has had me looking at the distro coming from Debian. I've been trying to get Tensorflow working recently on my desktop and it's been hell - had to attempt to build from source because of an error that can apparently be fixed by doing so, and being on a Debian install just worked as a problem along every step of the way - had to compile some dependencies and then just pray the proprietary ones that only had Ubuntu packages would work for me. Plus KDE is shit on Debian (display manager hasn't worked in months). So yea, thanks user, I think I'll be going with SUSE for sure now.

What's this about Tumbleweed, though? I had just assumed the rolling release would make more sense for a desktop while Leap was more geared towards servers - kind of like Debian Stable vs Debian Testing.

It isn't as good as Fedora.

You're literally the fag from this meme, aren't you?

Attached: arch.png (650x4377, 871K)

You have to use a poorly maintained third party library for media codecs.

Slow to boot because it uses a different network manager thing

Doesn't have an option to include basic shit like good font rendering and codecs

What network manager would you recommend using?

It's the other way around, Fedora isn't as good as openSUSE.

what's wrong with systemd?

careful user, you might summon the guy who spams every thread with a three post long copy pasta of meme reasons why systemd is bad

europoor shit, would rather use the unites states of arch

You are delusional. At least you don't use Arch.

And you're wrong. The only real differences between openSUSE and Fedora are things that Fedora lacks, like YaST and the Firefox KDE patch. This makes Fedora the inferior option.

>YaST
>KDE
ok kiddo

>t. tiling autist

Wrong. Try again.

Is there any way to install a minimal openSUSE? I got the impression that the installer pulled a lot of fucking packages even after tinkering as much as possible with the patterns.

this. have seen default installations that won't boot after install. i use xfs, works great.

zypper is great tho.

>Keep in mind this is all for leap 15, I haven't tried tumbleweed as I heard that was hopelessly broken.
tumbleweed works fine, didn't break a single time since i've installed it earlier this year.

arch is a canadian distro, user.
select the packages you want to install.

Well, how many other good things got started in Nuremberg?

Everything

zypper is pretty much top notch, in my experience.

i'd take it over either apt or yum or pkg.

Attached: prepared.png (288x175, 82K)

I can stand botnet codecs but not its font rendering

Isn't that super easy to change though?

>tumbleweed is quite fine, but it's a German piece of shit
t. my gf, ex-SUSE employee

>it's fine but also shit
ok

>Defaults to btrfs
What kind of madmen would do this?
t. Ran out of space one time.

No. They only way to fix it is to add weird third party repos from some random guy from the internetz or mess with it and compile those patches yourself.
So, no. It's not super easy to change.

Attached: 1525844582456.png (671x603, 168K)

The default for /home is xfs

Extremely bloated and convulted

Tell that to PCLinuxOS

Wrong distro.

You have never used Opensuse, have you?

I'm currently using openSUSE Tumbleweed, so I'll give you the pros and cons

Pros:
*) Tumbleweed provides a relatively stable rolling release distro
*) YaST is cool.
*) If you like KDE, they have patched versions of lots of software offering better integration
*) Some popular third party repositories are available to add easily through YaST
*) Lots of special features baked in

Cons:
*) YaST sometimes can be redundant.
*) Weird default partition scheme (I use a custom partition scheme), root partition is only 40GB in default configuration on my PC (1 TB HDD)
*) Installer takes a long time
*) Installing proprietary codecs isn't as easy as it could be. In Ubuntu it's just
$ sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
But in openSUSE it's much harder, and will take a bit.
*) Some of it's default configurations are stupid.

All in all I would rate it 9/10. I would only recommend it if you know how to tweak the things you want a bit. If you don't know how to tweak it Gecko Linux could be good.

Are you referring to packman?
Because pacman is Arch Linux's package manager.
I'm currently using openSUSE Tumbleweed

>Extremely bloated and convulted
This. I installed it a couple of months ago and couldn't believe how bloated it was. Also booting takes ages compared to other distros.